Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Personal / dating / whatever life situation general advice thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521647)

El Diablo 10-12-2007 04:54 PM

Personal / dating / whatever life situation general advice thread

All,

From time to time people ask about starting this sort of emo-ish thread here. For big life-changing things, we generally give them the go-ahead. But a lot of times it's some random gf situation that probably doesn't really merit a thread.

So, here's a thread for all sorts of random personal life questions you might want to pose to EDF readers.

SlowHabit 10-12-2007 05:22 PM

Re: Personal / dating / whatever life situation general advice thread

I submitted my application to two investment firms yesterday. After hitting the submit button, I got a rush of blood into my head and got a minor headache. I probably got stressed out because I do not know what life in the office will be like and whether I will enjoy the environment and the political stuffs. I know I'll do my job well but I wonder if it is the life for me. But then again, you'll know never until you try it.

Comments?

El Diablo 10-12-2007 05:24 PM

SH,

What sort of jobs/firms?

ImsaKidd 10-12-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I submitted my application to two investment firms yesterday. After hitting the submit button, I got a rush of blood into my head and got a minor headache. I probably got stressed out because I do not know what life in the office will be like and whether I will enjoy the environment and the political stuffs. I know I'll do my job well but I wonder if it is the life for me. But then again, you'll know never until you try it.

Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Def. need more info.

This sounds like one of those work = life jobs.

SlowHabit 10-12-2007 05:51 PM

An analyst role in the Equity Department.

FWIW, I am planning to open a fund down the road so I figure this is the best step to get ready. The main problem is I'm not sure if the environment is right for me. I used to work at Circuit City as a salesperson when I was 17 [I was probably bad] and the working environment was horrendous among workers.

Another factor that is making me think twice about working for a firm is I know with time and effort, I can understand most of what Warren Buffett says in his annual report and I think once I do, I'll be fine on my own. However, the world is a very big place and the idea of me missing some important experience will probably be in the back of my mind later.

As you can see, I'm in a limbo.

kkcountry 10-12-2007 06:17 PM

ok i'll give this a shot

i'm having a party at home tomorrow and want to a girl i met at school to come. how do i go about inviting her? we haven't done much together besides sit together and talk in class fwiw.

edit - i really like her and she's not a 'hit it and quit it' situation

El Diablo 10-12-2007 06:21 PM

kk,

Text her or facebook msg her.

Jon1000 10-12-2007 06:26 PM

I would like to meet some women outside of bars and clubs and work. I joined a kick ball team, but the girls are beat. Running club is next up, but anyone have any other ideas?

gumpzilla 10-12-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kk,

Text her or facebook msg her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the facebook message occupy a different niche than straight-up email? I've used them occasionally, but they do seem a bit pointless.

SlowHabit 10-12-2007 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i'll give this a shot

i'm having a party at home tomorrow and want to a girl i met at school to come. how do i go about inviting her? we haven't done much together besides sit together and talk in class fwiw.

edit - i really like her and she's not a 'hit it and quit it' situation

[/ QUOTE ]
Ask her in a normal manner if she likes to come to the party.

The key is don't act like it's some important shiet. A lot of guys fail at courting females because they have a tendency to overvalue their targets and thus lose their manhood due to fear of failure. This ironically increase the guys' failure rate.

I'm going to reference a scene from Boiler Room. Act as if. Act as if you're the most important shiet in the room. Act as if your penis was imported from Africa. Act as if the girl wants some of you in her. Obviously, you only think like this to improve your confidence and you should talk to her in a normal manner.

Lastly and is the most important factor, seriously, it's a girl. Who cares if she says no. There are other girls out there that are probably better than her. Once you have develop this attitude, your success rate will increase. If not, improve your speech, your clothes, your hygiene, your jokes etc.

That's it. I'm out.

El Diablo 10-12-2007 06:31 PM

gump,

Not sure, really. It also seems to me that people tend to just use Facebook wall instead of messaging (unless it's private), that's what I really meant. Not sure if that's standard, though, I'm not much of a facebook user.

El Diablo 10-12-2007 06:32 PM

Jon,

Running and other sports-related clubs are great. Classes/clubs (cooking, french, etc.) are great too. Volunteering is another great place.

kkcountry 10-12-2007 06:43 PM

someone want to ghostwrite a text for me real quick that doesn't make me sound needy or begging?

El Diablo 10-12-2007 06:45 PM

kk,

"Party at my place tomorrow 9pm. Be there or be square!"

Irieguy 10-12-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to meet some women outside of bars and clubs and work. I joined a kick ball team, but the girls are beat. Running club is next up, but anyone have any other ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

The best place to meet girls is school. Just about any random class at any random school rates to have a few cute girls in it and you can obviously customize to increase your chances. Also, it's school so everybody is bored. Boredom is a powerful catalyst for sex. Thirdly, there rate to be plenty of opportunities to hang out with some girls in the class under the guise of studying/class activities etc.

So get a course schedule at your local community college. Sign up for a class or two and drop 'em the first week if it looks like a whiff. Then try again. It's really not a very big time or money burner considering how likely you are to meet girls.

Another suggestion is to look for courses that are likely to have "field trips" or activities outside the classroom. This could be as obvious as sailing, but anthropology courses often have trips to Indian reservations (ship the gambling bonus there!), excavation sites, and museums.

If you are older than 30 another idea is to visit your local wine shop and get into the wine tasting scene. Take a group of people looking for something to do and add alcohol = potential orgy.

Irieguy

supafrey 10-12-2007 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone want to ghostwrite a text for me real quick that doesn't make me sound needy or begging?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Party tomorrow at 9. When arriving, inform the bouncer that you're here for the gangbang."

slickpoppa 10-12-2007 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gump,

Not sure, really. It also seems to me that people tend to just use Facebook wall instead of messaging (unless it's private), that's what I really meant. Not sure if that's standard, though, I'm not much of a facebook user.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sending a facebook message is less formal than an email. I think this situation call for a facebook message rather than wall posting. Inviting a chick via a wall posting can come off as try to mark your territory, which might be good in some situations, but I don't think it would be in this one.

MissT74 10-12-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kk,

[/ QUOTE ]

This would actually work, IMO. It's so stupid it's cute/funny, would work. IF she has a sense of humor.

T

gobbomom 10-12-2007 07:32 PM

uh, no to: be there or be square. Just put: hope you can make it.

SlowHabit 10-12-2007 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best place to meet girls is school. Just about any random class at any random school rates to have a few cute girls in it and you can obviously customize to increase your chances.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.

El Diablo 10-12-2007 07:59 PM

gobbomom,

"Party at my place tomorrow 9pm. Hope you can make it."

Mine is better.

burningyen 10-12-2007 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ballroom dancing and yoga. Seriously.

gobbomom 10-12-2007 08:10 PM

LOL!

(No, it's really not.) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

El Diablo 10-12-2007 08:13 PM

gobbomom,

I bet I have a lot more experience texting girls in their 20s than you do!

Based on extensive testing, I'm 100% sure mine will achieve better results.

MissT74 10-12-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gobbomom,

Mine is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a girl, I agree. It's cuter and funnier. Hope you can make it is so generic, like you don't care and if you don't care, then why do I?

T

EDIT: Duh on me gobbomom, didn't see your name, but my opinion still stands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

El Diablo 10-12-2007 08:16 PM

MissT,

Exactly. When inviting people to a business networking dinner or cocktail party or something, I'd use something like "Hope you can make it."

MissT74 10-12-2007 08:17 PM

Absolutely. But if you're liking a girl and you're wanting her to really make it but not sound desperate, your line sounds so cheesy and flirty, it will work. Again though, on girls with senses of humor only.

T

kkcountry 10-12-2007 08:20 PM

i went with - "party at my place tomorrow, need directions?" for a couple reasons:

first, i get to ask if she's coming without directly asking if she's coming. it also lets her know there's going to be a party whether she shows up or not, "are you going to be there?" makes it sound like i need her to come imo.

also, i like to ask questions in my "unsolicited" texts because it's easy to answer and once you get that first reply it's a lot easier to carry on a text conversation

Jon1000 10-12-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ballroom dancing and yoga. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my summer roommates in college was a yoga instructor. The hot yoga one. i got suckered into going w/ her a few times, and it was really cool, but it sucked too. I'm sitting there sweating my ass off, having to use the block sometimes because I'm not flexible enough to touch the [censored] floor, and I'm holding back a fart so I don't crop dust the girl behind me, or god forbid it's a squeaker which is even worse. Next thing I know my roommate is asking the class to do a freaking handstand. are you serious?

dancing and cooking and language classes sound fun. But isn't it just old women who learn how to ballroom?

guids 10-12-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gobbomom,

Mine is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

El diablo's is better. guids has spoken.

Party at my place tommorow, bring your own shoelaces

is my reccomendation

gobbomom 10-12-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gobbomom,

I bet I have a lot more experience texting girls in their 20s than you do!

Based on extensive testing, I'm 100% sure mine will achieve better results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I obviously can't argue with your extensive experience, but perhaps I can take exception with your test subjects. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seriously, I guess I'm just "almost" old then.

durron597 10-12-2007 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i went with - "party at my place tomorrow, need directions?" for a couple reasons:

[/ QUOTE ]

your way is not as "fun" as diablo's way.

but it is better than "hope you can make it."

guids 10-12-2007 08:33 PM

Also, diablo, try and bring back L7, you can be my west coast connection, its already catching on in the midwest.

El Diablo 10-12-2007 08:33 PM

kk,

Sorry dude, I think you messed up. The "need directions?" might come off a little desperate imo, since you're not fooling anyone about the fact that you're asking her if she's coming. No big deal, though. If she likes you, it doesn't really matter.

Claunchy 10-12-2007 08:34 PM

Gobbomom,

"Hope you can make it" sounds meek and pussyish. Might as well add "if it's not too much trouble."

"Be there or be square!", while semi-lame, at least has light-hearted jokey feel to it.

El Diablo 10-12-2007 08:35 PM

quids,

"Party at my place tommorow, bring your own shoelaces"

That is gold. I will be using that for my next party or happy hour mass text!

El Diablo 10-12-2007 08:35 PM

Claunchy,

Obv, we all know it's semi-lame.

SlowHabit 10-12-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

"Party at my place tommorow, bring your own shoelaces"

That is gold. I will be using that for my next party or happy hour mass text!

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

z28dreams 10-12-2007 08:39 PM

I'll take a stab at a question here:

I'm looking for a career change. Not exactly sure what yet. I'm 27, and have always lacked a focus for what I really want to do.

I have an electrical engineering background, but ave no desire to engineer anything. My latest position was in internet marketing, building websites, marketing them, etc.

I liked the works, but my gripe with the field was it didn't feel like there was any upward mobility because many of the companies are either very very small, or you end up as a tiny department in a large company.

I'm sort of a jack of all trades - master at none with my skillset. I understand that I REALLY need to focus in on one thing and crush it, but am not sure what that would be.

Any input? I'm open to entirely different fields (especially techie or business related positions).

gobbomom 10-12-2007 08:45 PM

I really don't think it's lame at all. I think it's sincere and succinct. Bring your own shoelaces is good though.