Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Poll: Who is worse Yang or Gold? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520634)

23467 10-11-2007 10:15 AM

Poll: Who is worse Yang or Gold?

In my opinion, both of last ME winners are terrible players, but who do you think is worse and why?

ardubz 10-11-2007 10:35 AM

Re: Poll: Who is worse Yang or Gold?

you're an idiot

Rjack 10-11-2007 11:44 AM

I voted for Nader!

Willy 10-11-2007 12:03 PM

Why all the hate for Yang?
What is the difference beyween "just one time" and "god give me a 4".I hear the former all the time and no one seems to complain. Very few of us think that will effect the cards but it may give the player the confidence to gamble.
Yang seemed to know (given his skill level vs the rest of the field) what he had to do to have any chance of winning and had the guts needed to take the risks neccessary to give him that chance. He seemed to know he needed to get lucky and gave himself the chance to get lucky.

Flip-Flop 10-11-2007 12:48 PM

There is NO EXCUSE to play under a level of a 2 bucks online SNG no mater how bad you think you are.
Is it so hard to read few poker books that will introduce you to some basic tournament concepts before you decide you are going to play the biggest and most important tournament in the world?

Give me a break.. no excuse for the donk plays Yang showed us and no fuxing excuse for the way way excessive fanatic praying.

Needless to say I clicked Yang.
Compared to him Gold looks like....gold.

And to think that last year I thought that none will ever top the noobness of Jamie Gold....I can`t wait for WSOP ME 2008. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Dima2000123 10-11-2007 12:57 PM

I don't think Yang needs any excuses, lol.

Dima2000123 10-11-2007 12:59 PM

Jamie Gold is definitely a better player. He accomplished the same thing with a scalpel that Yang accomplished with an axe. Gold did his thing by talking people into confusion post-flop, while Yang was out to lunch if the hand ever got to the turn.

Porkchop Express 10-11-2007 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jamie Gold is definitely a better player. He accomplished the same thing with a scalpel that Yang accomplished with an axe. Gold did his thing by talking people into confusion post-flop, while Yang was out to lunch if the hand ever got to the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold accomplished the same thing while having a commanding chip lead. Gold cant play from behind as you saw from this years ME. Yang was a short stack remember.

grdred944 10-11-2007 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference beyween "just one time" and "god give me a 4".I hear the former all the time and no one seems to complain. Very few of us think that will effect the cards but it may give the player the confidence to gamble.
Yang seemed to know (given his skill level vs the rest of the field) what he had to do to have any chance of winning and had the guts needed to take the risks neccessary to give him that chance. He seemed to know he needed to get lucky and gave himself the chance to get lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with this post. Yang came to the FT, 8th in chips and knew he wouldn't be able to outplay most of these guys so he decided he was just going to push hard -- very hard. If you recognize your shortcomings and adjust accordingly -- even if it means some sick gambles -- good for you. He did that. So what if he prayed along the way. It did get to be a bit much but there are worse things one could do -- such as make gorilla sounds while two other people are in an all-in hand that you are not involved in.

If Yang tried to pass himself off as an uber-pro I could understand some of the rants but the continued ripping of him by these jealous wannabes is getting old fast.

Dima2000123 10-11-2007 01:17 PM

On the other hand, Gold does possess one trait that is ultimately fatal to any poker player: he vastly overestimates his skill, and as a result practices very poor table selection. Yang doesn't seem to be the type, although very little is known about him.

joshrocker 10-11-2007 02:05 PM

I think the real question here should be, "who is bad for poker". Skill sets aside, Jerry Yang IMO is worse for poker then GOld was. Gold can at least give some decent interviews. Yang doesn't seem very charesmatic(sp?). He's a family man with deep christian values. I think he's definately in the minority and someone that most online players can't relate with.
Even though I thought his little dances and outburts were stupid, Kahn was probably the best option as far as promoting poker is concerened.
An ideal champion would be someone who was young with decent skills that could give a good interview. Also someone who was going to take the time to be an ambassador for the game. Yang doesn't really fit any of this.

The B 10-11-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jamie Gold is definitely a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false because donkeys are animals not players.

private joker 10-11-2007 02:22 PM

WTF, this poll is liking asking who's sexier between Rosie O'Donnell and Star Jones.

Who cares, they both suck.

arvin 10-11-2007 03:29 PM

Yang is foney bologna

Don_Lapre 10-11-2007 03:59 PM

Star Jones

UATrewqaz 10-11-2007 04:20 PM

Yang is still a mystery. We haven't seen enough of him to judge.

Gold is a proven terrible player. It's hard to imagine Yang being worse.

Regardless, Yang is a significantly better person.

Pokerjeu 10-11-2007 04:49 PM

Yang is by far a worse ambassador for the game
and that is what concern me

I dont think we will see him again on TV at all
on any poker show
Gold we still see him on HSP PAD ect

unfortunatly Yang will do nothing in a marketing point of view for Poker to reverse the relative decline in interest i see and bringing new players in the game

And regarding who is the better player
Gold is better
I dont think Gold will call big all ins with a pair of As no kicker
or reraise all-in Pre-flop with J8

UATrewqaz 10-11-2007 04:51 PM

Gold was a horrible ambassador and a very unpopular champion.

Both he and Yang pale in skill and popularity to Hachem/Raymer

and Moneymaker (minus the skill part)

SFF1 10-11-2007 05:02 PM

Gold. But still, both of them are idiots who ko'd better players at the final table, Yang ko'd alex (russian) guy whose a much more solid player. Gold ko'd cunningham at the final table, they both play like idiots and stupid aggressive w/o feeling out their opponents at all

prad 10-11-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Kahn was probably the best option as far as promoting poker is concerened.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean a fat slob dancing around making grunting noises would have been good for the game attracting a lot of similar clown behavior. Somehow I think you haven't been around the game too long son. In case you can't tell I'm not a ig fan of the attention whoring that has become the ME.
How much is the WSOP ME champion suppose to do. After Moneymaker I'm not sure the champion really is all that important in terms of positively promoting or negatively impacting the game. Back then the WSOP was the only mainstream poker on TV. Poker is so mainstream now that Helmuch, Ivey, Brunson and others can do much more for poker's exposure. Personally, Yang is great for the game. It shows anyone can continue to suck out and win the tourney, which should attract bigger numbers to the ME. I think Lam and the Russian played the smartest final table poker of anyone and still got no respect from Norm Chad. There's no reason to play big pot pre flop considering the slow structure. Folding your way into heads up is how Norm called it. If he doesn't get rivered I think he wins. Yang I guess knew he couldn't compete after the flop so why not. Given all that Yang seemed like a great person, so good for him.
I also watched the whole PPV so my thought are not entirely based on the few hands they showed on ESPN.

jogsxyz 10-11-2007 07:40 PM

I voted Gold. Not because Yang plays better. Betting Yang wont give the money back.

B-Collins 10-11-2007 08:03 PM

To be honest i havent seen a lot of Yang because WSOP hasnt aired to television where i live yet and ive only just found it on the net, so i voted for Jaime IM THE BIGGEST [censored] ON THE PLANET Gold, simply because he sux as a person and he had such a huge lead in last years WSOP it was difficult for anyone to catch him and beat him. He is a horrible person to watch, an incredible f*ckhead and i was hoping he would have a heart attack at the final table last year rather than him losing his chips and being knocked out.. Watching him on HIGH STAKES POKER makes me cringe and you can tell he gets under the skin of Doyle and the rest of the pros..

B-Collins 10-11-2007 08:04 PM

eat [censored] and die jaime

JackWhite 10-11-2007 08:52 PM

What has Yang done since the ME?

Russ M. 10-11-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for Kodos!

[/ QUOTE ]

KiwiMark 10-12-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference beyween "just one time" and "god give me a 4".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think asking God to give you a card to win a poker hand is significantly worse! I would be amazed if there weren't a lot of Christians that are appalled at the idea of a person claiming to be a Christian asking for God to help him win at poker. I think there should be something in the constitution about the separation of church and poker!

Hell, I am an atheist and I am appalled that any Christian would ask God to give him better cards than his opponent, out loud, on TV!

If I were God I would give his opponents one-outers on the river to punish him for being a greedy sod and asking my divine self for something so selfish. I would give him KK and a flop of KK7 against an opponent with AA, then I would give running aces to bust his ass!

Veecee 10-12-2007 01:27 AM

Yang really is worse. Some of his plays at the FT was absolutely terrible and screaming "YEEEESSSS!!!!" and running around when he sucked out just didn't do it for me.

ApeAttack 10-12-2007 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the difference beyween "just one time" and "god give me a 4".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think asking God to give you a card to win a poker hand is significantly worse!
Hell, I am an atheist and I am appalled that any Christian would ask God to give him better cards than his opponent, out loud, on TV!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure no one ever prays for a miracle card to come out... right? The only difference is that Yang actually said the word 'God' in his prayers instead of yelling out, 'Come on, one time' or 'Let me get lucky just this once.' It is the same thing.

I am agnostic (practically atheist) and I think it is odd someone would be openly praying to God at crucial moments of a tournament, but I'm certainly not appalled.

Willy 10-12-2007 06:17 AM

[Quote]Hell, I am an atheist and I am appalled that any Christian would ask God to give him better cards than his opponent, out loud, on TV![Quote]
Well then would you be "appalled" if he asked Santa?, the Easter Bunny?, Little Green Men? Whats the difference?

KiwiMark 10-12-2007 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well then would you be "appalled" if he asked Santa?, the Easter Bunny?, Little Green Men? Whats the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it is just the tackiness of openly praying to your god for the cards to fall in a way that makes your opponent lose. Pretty much every hand I am in I hope my opponent loses, but I wouldn't openly say "I hope you lose this hand" to my opponent.

I suppose I find in even worse when Christians tell me what they are about - goodwill to all men, charity, do unto others, etc. Then you hear a Christian openly and publicly praying to their god for someone to lose to them so they can become richer - maybe I'm the only one that finds that rather hypocritical.

I also have this thought in my head when Yang is praying to God to give him the cards he wants - "as a Christian, is that really what you think your God is about?"

KiwiMark 10-12-2007 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only difference is that Yang actually said the word 'God' in his prayers instead of yelling out, 'Come on, one time' or 'Let me get lucky just this once.' It is the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I am not a big fan of any poker player yelling out any of those things.

When I watch the players that just watch the board quietly, I know they are hoping they will be the lucky ones, but I like the way they have the class to not be yelling out for the cards they want.

I don't have anything against Phil Laak (for example), but I would like him more if he didn't act like a child when the board is being dealt. A bit of dignity would be nice from some of these players.

Just compare someone like Chris Fergusen to any of these idiots - when have you ever heard him yelling out anything as the cards are being dealt? Compare how he acts when he wins or loses with classless idiots like Hellmuth - I know who I would prefer to act like.

Willy 10-12-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it is just the tackiness of openly praying to your god for the cards to fall in a way that makes your opponent lose. Pretty much every hand I am in I hope my opponent loses, but I wouldn't openly say "I hope you lose this hand" to my opponent.

I suppose I find in even worse when Christians tell me what they are about - goodwill to all men, charity, do unto others, etc. Then you hear a Christian openly and publicly praying to their god for someone to lose to them so they can become richer - maybe I'm the only one that finds that rather hypocritical.

I also have this thought in my head when Yang is praying to God to give him the cards he wants - "as a Christian, is that really what you think your God is about?"

[/ QUOTE ]
So, while you don't believe, you are troubled by what he believes. Personally, I welcome players who believe some outside force will save them from poor decisions.

IAmJackStraus 10-12-2007 10:36 AM

Gold last year was worse for me. He was too damned arrogant. Yeah he had all the chips and played well, no one else really came close to him. I gotta give credit to Yang for starting the table as a short stack and within about 15 hands he got the chip lead.

Silent A 10-12-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have anything against Phil Laak (for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

In Phil's defense, IIRC, the only time he did these ridiculous antics was at a WPT invitational and on Poker after Dark. He's never done it at a "real" tournament.

SuperUberBob 10-12-2007 01:05 PM

Skill: Hard to say playing wise. Yang is more down-to-earth. He knows where he stands in terms of skill and talent. Gold is more deluded and think he's a top pro. I give that tentatively to Yang.

Personality: Yang, although a religious freak, is a genuine and very honest person. Gold is an arrogant douche who tried to screw his backers out of millions of dollars, bend various rules and breaches poker etiquette. Advantage goes to Yang.

Loser: Jamie Gold

gusmahler 10-12-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm sure no one ever prays for a miracle card to come out... right? The only difference is that Yang actually said the word 'God' in his prayers instead of yelling out, 'Come on, one time' or 'Let me get lucky just this once.' It is the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the same thing. If Yang had said, "Please God, let me get trips," I don't think anyone would blink." But he said something like, "Show me your miracles father." And then he started talking about spreading God's word. That's taking it farther than "Please God, don't crack my Aces."

Ganjasaurus Rex 10-12-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, both of last ME winners are terrible players, but who do you think is worse and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
[x] They're both better than OP, who is jealous.

grdred944 10-12-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yang is by far a worse ambassador for the game
and that is what concern me

[/ QUOTE ]
A better ambassador was the guy who was served papers for not agreeing to pay off his obligation to another player? Not all ambassadors need to be boisterous. I would imagine most of the world looks at the two of them and sees Yang as a nice fellow -- someone good for the game and more of an everyman then what appeared to be a slick hollywood slimeball. I'm not saying he (Gold) is or was but that perception is easier to get to then thinking of Yang as an everyman/decent guy. Something 90% of WSOP ME players can identify with.

grdred944 10-12-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the same thing. If Yang had said, "Please God, let me get trips," I don't think anyone would blink." But he said something like, "Show me your miracles father." And then he started talking about spreading God's word. That's taking it farther than "Please God, don't crack my Aces."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree. He did carry on a bit too much.

If (when) I get to the ME FT my line will be, "Oh LORD, if you don't make this hand stand up I swear I will be the next Hitler!" That should get its own thread! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KiwiMark 10-12-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Phil's defense, IIRC, the only time he did these ridiculous antics was at a WPT invitational and on Poker after Dark. He's never done it at a "real" tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that he acts like a kid sometimes while playing very solid poker as a deception - maybe an opponent is more likely to call a value bet from someone acting the fool.

But I really do like Phil Laak and have seen him playing without acting like an ADHD kid on a suger rush, and he just played well while acting like a normal human being. To me this was a much more likeable version of Laak.