Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AA in small blind to a raise (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520621)

sfetaz 10-11-2007 09:53 AM

AA in small blind to a raise

Read on cut off is about 30% VPIP, 19% PFR, 53% wsd, Total Agression about 2.5, this over 120 hands.

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

sharpie 10-11-2007 09:56 AM

Re: AA in small blind to a raise

Why are you not 3 betting PF? Why are you donking the flop?

sfetaz 10-11-2007 10:03 AM

Am I allowed to explain the actions of the hand or why I posted it, or does that influence peoples reactions? This is my first posted hand.

sharpie 10-11-2007 10:11 AM

Yea you can explain your actions, especially when your play isn't standard. Coldcalling PF obviously isn't standard. There are some cases where it may be correct to coldcall aces in the SB, although I personally never have, but I doubt it's right here.

sfetaz 10-11-2007 10:18 AM

Ok good. I posted this hand because after playing it I did not like how I played it. For some reason I decided to be deceptive preflop and not show that kind of strength. Duh this ain't Brunson I'm playing against. I wanted some constructive criticism for my first hand post.

McNeese72 10-11-2007 10:55 AM

Grunch:

In this hand, I'd 3-bet preflop and then lead on the flop if it is not capped.

If the villain shows a lot of aggression post flop, I'd probably just call down. But I'm a known weak tighty that hates to fold pocket A's. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Doc

rigmarole 10-11-2007 11:05 AM

It is ok to to slowplay if you are trying to vary your play to reduce predictability, however, it's very rare you will want to play this hand like this. You generally want to stick to playing fundamental poker as you will miss betting opportunities. Stick to the ABC's.

Against a villan who is raising 19% of his hands preflop there is no need for deception here you have him right where you want him... betting into you when it's going to be heads up postflop when you are ahead.

The straight looks a little scary but your opponent is loose and aggressive I think more times than not he's going to pay for his aggression.

Rig

Smurph64 10-11-2007 12:20 PM

raise preflop, reraise flop see what happens. slowplaying AA is just not good.

Mitke 10-11-2007 12:28 PM

Reraise flop. You are getting action you are still likely have the best hand. If the villain has a smaller pair he is likely to have a draw to trips, two pair + gutshot all to beat you -&gt; raise for extracting the value while still ahead.

Slowplaying AA especially against such a loose and aggresive villain loses you a lot of value in the long term.

Daniel Magix 10-11-2007 12:47 PM

You are up against an aggressive villian, and the only street where you knew you were ahead of him 99% of the time, you did not put any extra bets in.

By not 3betting PF, you now find yourself OOP and unsure of where your hand really stands. It seems like you lose control of the situation here.

Why not 3bet the flop, if you plan on donking the safe turn anyway? Are you any stronger on the Turn than you were on the Flop?

Again, looks like you lose more control and get less info by just calling the Flop. If you 3bet the flop and he caps, then maybe you can go into calldown mode.

The River looked ok to me.

Absolution 10-11-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok good. I posted this hand because after playing it I did not like how I played it. For some reason I decided to be deceptive preflop and not show that kind of strength. Duh this ain't Brunson I'm playing against. I wanted some constructive criticism for my first hand post.

[/ QUOTE ]

When people are deceptive with AA pre-flop they usually don't cap it when 3-bet. When it's just one raise to you though you should raise. This is generally useful against a thinking opponent though. If you only cap with AK+, you're very easy to read and if you only call 3-bets with hands like AJo, the same is true. Most of the time you should just cap.

HermannTL 10-11-2007 05:00 PM

Just once I slowplayed AA PF. I flopped quads, it was checked to me, I bet, and EVERYONE folded.

I guess I could have checked the flop in the hopes that someone would crawl out of a foxhole on the turn...

bozlax 10-11-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just once I slowplayed AA PF. I flopped quads, it was checked to me, I bet, and EVERYONE folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Smurph64 10-11-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think its ok to slow play quads to the turn at least on blanks you never know what they are going to want to bet.

Dankenstein 10-11-2007 05:37 PM

:g:
You should 3-bet this preflop. I don't understand the 3-bet on the turn. I would 3-bet the flop and slow down on the turn and the river if my opponent calls/ raises.

bozlax 10-11-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think its ok to slow play quads to the turn at least on blanks you never know what they are going to want to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Esp. after you've ass-played a big pp preflop.

OziBattler 10-11-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think anyone else has said it yet...by not reraising preflop you also give BB 5:1 to call and bust your aces. Sure he may call anyway but just 3bet and give him a chance to make a -EV call. also against an aggressive player like this you often dont need to try too hard to get action so dont bother slowplaying him as it will just cos u money with big hands

also if you find people always c/f when you raise preflop then you arent raising preflop enough.

welcome to the forums btw and dont worry...most people have had bad first hand posts. it is awefully standard so no harm no foul.

Smurph64 10-11-2007 10:52 PM

Actually posting a bad first hand post is probably the best thing for you because it tells you much more than a good first hand post will.

Most of us learn from mistakes much more easily than from successes. Successes in poker are misleading because they may reinforce faulty logic or poor understanding of concepts.

When I first started, I made all kinds of mistakes that were actually correct. I made the right decision but for the wrong reason.

The more detail you can give when you post a hand the easier it is for the great posters to explain concepts that you are missing and fix logic errors.

As you post more hands, try and remember as much detail about the players as possible, try to remember why you were doing the action and what you weren't sure of.

I would rather answer a well thought out and documented hand than answer twenty quickly with, standard, fold here odds etc.

Wookiee and Aussie and Aaron among others were really good at reading these posts and dissecting my action for me.

I really appreciate the effort you put in this 'bad hand' as it isolated along with your other hand a very real problem.

Keep up the good work.

Bulletproof Monk 10-12-2007 08:43 AM

if you had folded to the turn cap this would have replaced the last 'worst played hand ever posted on 2+2' in my stickies. you got my hopes up after the preflop flop and turn play.... just saying

scpi10 10-12-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you had folded to the turn cap this would have replaced the last 'worst played hand ever posted on 2+2' in my stickies. you got my hopes up after the preflop flop and turn play.... just saying

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there anyway you could post this hand?

Ulkis 10-12-2007 12:24 PM

Grunch - did not look at other posts -
messed it up PF, if raised, the hand wouldda played a lot easier.
as played, prolly good not to go too crazy on the flop.
turn - call the raise
river - ok

But this hand would've played so much better if not the mess up PF.

So now I go look other comments...

Ulkis 10-12-2007 12:28 PM

"Duh this ain't Brunson I'm playing against. I wanted some constructive criticism for my first hand post. "

Especially against Brunson you'd want to stick it to the man, coldcalling PF ain't the answer.
No-one is taking the piss, it's all constructive, you got some.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 10-12-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh he hasnt posted in over a year so i doubt he will care.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...t=1#Post4389267

bozlax 10-12-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh he hasnt posted in over a year so i doubt he will care.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...t=1#Post4389267

[/ QUOTE ]

Esk? I thought you'd left. What're you doing responding to Monk's....oh, WAIT A MINUTE! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And, who gives a rat's ass if the OP cares. It's the Worst Hand Post Ever. You can't just say "don't link it, anymore, I'm embarassed."

neurotiq 10-12-2007 05:18 PM

I don't really like the preflop cold call because:

A. We lose value. We're very likely ahead (at worst, we're tied since we have the best hand!), so let's get some more bets in for value, and
B. It makes it much harder to put villain on a hand range when we don't see how she or he reacts to the 3bet.

I don't really like the flop donk, either. Make it a check-raise instead. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Again, for value and to get a better read.

The turn 3bet doesn't look good to me, either. Villain's raise is pretty scary, especially when we don't really know where we stand because of passiveness on previous streets. I just call down.

arch_angel 10-12-2007 07:08 PM

(grunch)

If you're not slowplaying (which I don't think you are since you donk the flop) then raise PF. If you get capped then you can actually consider KK or JJ, and you can probably rule out KJ, and assume that you are ahead to AK a fair amount. Why are you capping the turn and not 3betting the flop? I know the turn's a blank but if he's raising the flop he most likely has a made hand, and only a few hands beat you on the flop.

HermannTL 10-15-2007 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How slow would you go? As last to act would you check the flop? Playing results I certainly should have done so...but I suppose since giving a free card couldn't possibly hurt me (straight flush, anyone?) I definitely should have done so.

How about if the turn got checked around to me too? There I'm inclined to try to get *somebody* to pay for a draw rather than waiting for them to miss it on the river.

MoonOrb 10-15-2007 05:35 PM

--grunch--

Preflop: 3-bet this.

Flop: I think you 3-bet this, too. His raising range could include just about anything and there's no real real reason to fear that he's holding KK, JJ, 99, or even K9.

Turn: As played. This is a blank and if you were ahead on the flop, you're still ahead.

River: As played. The ten isn't really good news for you.

I'm imagining a whole string of questions asking you why you didn't 3-bet this pre-flop. I'll go look.

Gary Frates 10-15-2007 11:41 PM

I would have played this much stronger on preflop or if you limped on the flop.