Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pictures of my new baby horse (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520359)

KittyKat 10-10-2007 11:43 PM

Pictures of my new baby horse

I was going to wait until I got her to post, but I am impatient.

After my filly died, the woman who owned her father offered me a free breeding back to him. Unfortunately, I had already sold my mare, my filly's mother. So I looked for a mare to breed for a month, unsuccessfully. When the woman who owns the stallion found out about this, she gave me an extremely good deal on a filly. She's a half sister of the filly I had, 3 days older than her. I named her Dia. Dia's in Vancouver right now, but she should be shipping down to Texas in the next few weeks.

New born
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ewborndia1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ewborndia4.jpg

6 weeks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...houtdoubt4.jpg

4 months
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a4months17.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ia4months6.jpg

I know there's nothing any of you guys would like better than to see more pictures of my horse, so I'll probably add more whenever she gets down to texas [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Lonhro 10-11-2007 08:04 AM

Re: Pictures of my new baby horse

Congrats! Wow, her coat has changed so much since she was born! Very compact little filly as well. All the best for you and her when she is in your care. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Runkmud 10-11-2007 08:11 AM

Awesome, congrats, she's beautiful. Hope this one helps fill the hole in your heart. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mrkilla 10-11-2007 08:39 AM

OMG Pony!

peachy 10-11-2007 08:43 AM

aawww yay hunny!!!! Ive been gone/outta the loop so long I had no idea she had passed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Thats so heartbreaking!! I dunno what I woulda done if mine had. Im soooooo glad you got another and shes sooooooooooo adorable!! I cant wait to see more pictures!!!! congrats babe!!

kipin 10-11-2007 12:33 PM

Can you give some definitions to clueless people who also happen to be to lazy to look up on wikipedia/google what all the horse terms mean?

What's a filly?

liquidboss 10-11-2007 12:35 PM

Grats, I hope this one lives a long time. I don't really like horses, but it's obvious you are passionate about them and they give you daily joy. That is important and it's nice to see.

Bulletproof Monk 10-11-2007 12:40 PM

its definitely a horse

ACG2x 10-11-2007 12:57 PM

Will Ferrell: "And the Final Jeopardy category is...The Federalist Papers. Oh wait, I'm sorry, that's my bad that's for REGULAR Jeopardy we're taping later today. Your category is...Horsies. All you have to do is tell me- Are horsies pretty?"

KittyKat 10-11-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's a filly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sorry. A filly is an immature female.

Random horse naming below:
A foal refers to a baby horse of either sex who is still at their moms side. A weanling is a baby that has been taken from their mom (weaned) but is under 1 year of age. When they hit 1 year, they are called yearlings.

Horses reach adult height around 3 or 4. While they are still growing they are referred to as fillies (female) or colts (male). Additionally, most male horses are gelded (castrated) at around the one year mark. Castrated males are referred to as geldings. An "intact" underage male is often referred to as a stud colt.

When they reach adulthood, the males are called either stallions or geldings, and the females are called mares.

CORed 10-11-2007 04:29 PM

I'm not really a horse person, but here's what I know:

Stallion: Male horse.
Mare: Female horse.
Gelding: Neutered male horse (no balls).
Colt: Baby male horse.
Filly: Baby female horse.

IggyWH 10-11-2007 04:35 PM

Glad you got a new horse. It was a bummer to see the thread where the old one died after you were so excited when it was born.

Eurotrash 10-11-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Horses reach adult height around 3 or 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

approximately how many hands would this be?

KittyKat 10-11-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad you got a new horse. It was a bummer to see the thread where the old one died after you were so excited when it was born.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys. Losing Kylie... it was like someone scooped out all of my insides and just left a giant gaping hole. It was the most horrible thing I've ever been through.

Getting Dia was like getting sewn back together.

peachy 10-12-2007 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the type of horse [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

By-Tor 10-12-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the type of horse [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhh crap, hide the horse, peachy's horny again...

4 High 10-12-2007 12:28 PM

Why are so many Horses castrated? Is it like with Dogs and Cats?

KittyKat 10-12-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, it's more of a safety issue. Castration is a very simple surgery, cheap and non harmful to the animal. Non castrated horses, stallions, have a possibility of being so hormonal they can hurt themselves or others. They do stupid things trying to get to a mare that can hurt them or hurt their handlers. I have personally seen people I know get severally injured as the result of dealing with stallions.

Imagine the brain set of a 16 year old boy, sexually. Then imagine he weighs 1500 lbs, is very strong, and has no concept of self control.

Geldings on the other hand, are on the whole fairly easy to deal with. They don't fight as much, and most have been castrated at such a young age that they never hit any kind of sexual puberty. They don't react to mares in heat. It makes them much easier (and thus cheaper) to handle, so more people have the possibility of owning them.

CORed 10-12-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... the brain set of a 16 year old boy ... no concept of self control ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Redundant.

bottomset 10-12-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, it's more of a safety issue. Castration is a very simple surgery, cheap and non harmful to the animal. Non castrated horses, stallions, have a possibility of being so hormonal they can hurt themselves or others. They do stupid things trying to get to a mare that can hurt them or hurt their handlers. I have personally seen people I know get severally injured as the result of dealing with stallions.

Imagine the brain set of a 16 year old boy, sexually. Then imagine he weighs 1500 lbs, is very strong, and has no concept of self control.

Geldings on the other hand, are on the whole fairly easy to deal with. They don't fight as much, and most have been castrated at such a young age that they never hit any kind of sexual puberty. They don't react to mares in heat. It makes them much easier (and thus cheaper) to handle, so more people have the possibility of owning them.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah also you can have geldings together(or with mares), stallions don't get along with other stallions

horses are awesome

Eurotrash 10-12-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes them much easier (and thus cheaper) to handle, so more people have the possibility of owning them.

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody "owns" a horse.

Bicycles_Biatch 10-14-2007 10:02 PM

who is the cute girl in photo 4

Anacardo 10-14-2007 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with the blondage, is my question.

KittyKat 10-15-2007 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the barn owners I think

[ QUOTE ]

nobody "owns" a horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got ripped off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Isura 10-16-2007 12:40 PM

Cool horse. How does horse ownership work. Do you live on a farm or visit it a few times a week? Is this gonna be a race horse?

meleader2 10-16-2007 01:38 PM

...have you ever...you know....maybe when noone's looking?

KittyKat 10-17-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool horse. How does horse ownership work. Do you live on a farm or visit it a few times a week? Is this gonna be a race horse?

[/ QUOTE ]

My other horses, I pay board every month, they live at a barn, I go out to see them as often as I can. This one will be in that type of situation eventually, right now she is too young to leave her mom, and lives at a barn in canada.

Not a race horse, no, but I am hoping she'll be competitive as a hunter (jumps over fences looking cute) someday. She's bred for it.

Anacardo 10-17-2007 12:14 AM

MOVIN' CUTE: Mankind's highest and most ancient dream.

tuq 10-17-2007 02:08 AM

Very cute kk. Thanks for the pics.

dinopoker 10-17-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how much would that be in fingers?

demon102 10-17-2007 03:22 AM

op makes cute babies, in different breeds?

HonestRyan 10-17-2007 04:42 AM

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images18...sMiniPony1.jpg

my dream is to one day have a herd of mini horses, w/ a fence that is about knee high. how awesome would that be.

kagame 10-17-2007 04:49 AM

can we also breed mini people to ride the mini horses?

Daddy Warbucks 10-17-2007 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can we also breed mini dogs to ride the mini horses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Such is my dream.

KittyKat 10-17-2007 09:26 AM

I've seen pictures of little monkeys racing the mini horses. I think that'd be cool

Daddy Warbucks 10-17-2007 09:30 AM

It becomes cool when they have their own polo league.

KittyKat 10-17-2007 10:18 AM

Jousting would be better