Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Preflop question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520172)

villains_hero 10-10-2007 07:06 PM

Preflop question

30/60 6-handed. UTG folds, 60/0/0,1 (the reason hero plays in this game) limps, 1 fold.

Hero has K7o on the button and has been isolating the 60/0 a lot.

SB ist very strong, defending loose, BB plays higher than usual, seems to be defending very tight (Folded to steal 75% in a small sample).

Raise/Fold/Limp?

pb87 10-10-2007 08:27 PM

Re: Preflop question

never limp here with King hi... I like a raise, hope to play the hand HU where u actually have some showdown value and should be able to control the pot perfectly

ILOVEPOKER929 10-10-2007 08:52 PM

K7s/K9o are my minimums in this spot. I wish I could add more to this thread but this is one of those spots where I dont know the precise cutoffs, so I make up my own and imagine theyre right.

Tryptamean 10-10-2007 09:28 PM

too weak to iso. My rule of thumb: if I have an offsuit king and I'm not sure if its +ev to play, I fold. Offsuit kings lead to trouble.

Dootch 10-10-2007 09:44 PM

I fold too

villains_hero 10-11-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
K7s/K9o are my minimums in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this too tight? Again, Villain is 60/0/0,1, very easy to play against. I folded but felt like chicken. Against tight blinds, equals or worse players only, I would raise.

Romulet 10-11-2007 11:07 PM

Rag offsuit kings suck. Fold and save your cash, there are easier ways to fleece this fool.

vmacosta 10-11-2007 11:25 PM

I usually raise here. Even tough sb don't defend more than 30% and I'm happy to take my hand up against one or both of the other two. Close though. k5o I'd def muck.

Leader 10-12-2007 01:03 AM

This is a pretty meh spot. I raise K9o. I often raise K8o. I'd probably raise this too because raising is fun, but it's close obv. I fold K6o.

imitation 10-12-2007 02:39 AM

I raise this very often, but how the table is playing and how well the blinds know I will iso raise I can see some very weak hands in my range.

kiddo 10-12-2007 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
K7s/K9o are my minimums in this spot. I wish I could add more to this thread but this is one of those spots where I dont know the precise cutoffs, so I make up my own and imagine theyre right.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this against a passive 60/0 and a good SB or what u normally raise with against a pretty bad limper?

I would say its a bit 2 tight here, cause even if SB knows u raise light he is out of position 3way so he cant 3bet whatever.

Other posters said K offsuit leads to trouble... In this spot, if SB 3bets its easier to play Kx then Ax cause Kx got to little showdownvalue, u can fold when u get nothing from the board. And if SB 3bets he will more often have an Ace, so Kx is okay. If SB folds and BB calls there is no need to think u are dominated, so Kx plays fine here. Against limpers range u are obviously way ahead and got a showdown hand that u can play pretty passively if its headsup and u dont hit anything.

Nietzsche 10-12-2007 08:29 AM

I don't get it. You have situation where you have position (and the button) on a 60/0 who is passive postflop with a hand that is slightly ahead of his range and sd worthy. You take the blinds down a lot. How can you afford to pass up this opportunity? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Tryptamean 10-12-2007 11:01 AM

Your hand is not that good v his range. I stoved it vs the top 60% of hands and you are a slight dog. You will also not showdown K hi always. The pot will also be multiway sometimes. Its close, but I err on the tight side cuz this hand will often miss and have little showdown value and no backdoor draws.

Nietzsche 10-12-2007 01:03 PM

Versus a loose passive being a slight dog is not a big worry when in position. PokerStove is a deceiving tool to use for preflop calculations, better for evaluating postflop.

Yes, we don't always pick up the blinds but we also don't have to always invest postflop. We have the advantage of choosing when to see the 4th street for free, which they don't.

Also 60 VPIP does not necessarily mean he open limps top 60% here. Remember all those times he folds preflop when there has been a raise before him.

surfdoc 10-12-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this against a passive 60/0 and a good SB or what u normally raise with against a pretty bad limper?

I would say its a bit 2 tight here, cause even if SB knows u raise light he is out of position 3way so he cant 3bet whatever.

Other posters said K offsuit leads to trouble... In this spot, if SB 3bets its easier to play Kx then Ax cause Kx got to little showdownvalue, u can fold when u get nothing from the board. And if SB 3bets he will more often have an Ace, so Kx is okay. If SB folds and BB calls there is no need to think u are dominated, so Kx plays fine here. Against limpers range u are obviously way ahead and got a showdown hand that u can play pretty passively if its headsup and u dont hit anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiddo. I thunk this is one of your first posts that I really disagree with. You aren't way ahead.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 50.250% 48.01% 02.24% { 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J2s+, T3s+, 95s+, 85s+, 75s+, 64s+, 54s, A2o+, K3o+, Q5o+, J7o+, T7o+, 97o+, 87o }
Hand 1: 49.750% 47.51% 02.24% { K8o }

You also won't play it passively. I don't know why people use this argument and that we can see the turn for free. This is just absurd. When you isolate a fish there is essentially always going to be a flop continuation bet. Christ, that is why we are raising..so we can rep whatever is on the flop. If the flop is scary we convince ourselves that it will be scarier for him. Yes, we will get to see the river for one small bet often enough but our hand has so little play in it that getting a free card when the board is AT44 or whatever will do very little for us.

surfdoc 10-12-2007 02:14 PM

I think we need to know a little more about the 60/0 guys postflop tendencies. Does he peel flop and turn light? Does he always play fit or fold on the flop? Does he ever play back at us with air? Some of the loose passives have random aggro postflop tendencies.

villains_hero 10-12-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does he peel flop and turn light?

[/ QUOTE ]
He will call the flop with overs and with absurd backdoors. With an A he will call many turns and some rivers. Once he has a pair, there will be a showdown.

[ QUOTE ]
Does he ever play back at us with air?

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely not. No Riverdonks on Scarecards, nothing like that. He will only bet (checkraise on the flop) with 2pair or better. In the hands we played he did not bet once.

The times I raised him (with showdown hands only) I bet the flop and proceeded from there. If I wanted to check it down, we did. If I wanted Value I did not always get it. Aces seem to scare him.

Somehow I agree with Kiddo: K7 feels like being way ahead preflop because we will be totally in control postflop. The only bad thing (except the blinds coming in) that can happen is valuebetting a worse hand.

Nietzsche 10-12-2007 04:43 PM

Naturally we bet all flops if we are HU with the LP, and most turns. But if one or both of the blinds come along, there are definitely flops where it is better to take a free card with this hand.

Leader 10-12-2007 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are definitely flops where it is better to take a free card with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for fun, what would you do on these flops against a the limper and one of the blinds:

QhTh8d
Th9h5c
Jc6c5c(no FD for us)
4c3d2s
AhQh9h(no FD for us)

Nietzsche 10-13-2007 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are definitely flops where it is better to take a free card with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for fun, what would you do on these flops against a the limper and one of the blinds:

QhTh8d
Th9h5c
Jc6c5c(no FD for us)
4c3d2s
AhQh9h(no FD for us)

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming the player in the blinds is decent it is a significant mistake to bet the first flop imo. I'd also pass on the second and third against most players. The last two must always be bet imo.

villains_hero 10-13-2007 03:12 PM

The first three are designed in a way that we may want to take two free cards (in case we pick up a draw on the turn). Is "betting for a free rivercard" an option here?

The pot is protected very well by the 60/0, so the blind player will have to be honest checkraising us on the flop. When checkraised the only board where I would really dislike folding is the first.

Once we bet the blind player will have to deal with playing sandwiched between the pfr and the overcalling fish. And he may be on a weak hand as he probably called light preflop. So another nice thing may happen: The Blind player folds and we check the hand down and win with k-high against the 60/0.

surfdoc 10-13-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Does he peel flop and turn light?

He will call the flop with overs and with absurd backdoors. With an A he will call many turns and some rivers. Once he has a pair, there will be a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the problem and the reason that isolation him too light will not be +EV. When you aren't getting flop folds from him your king high will be pretty tough to play. I think having K9o would be the cutoff then since you will have a little more play to your hand with some gutshots and better backdoor draws. If he is a limp any two but fold if he misses the flop type then, well, go to town.