Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   **** ALDS GAME 4 Tribe/Yanks (Byrd vs. Wang)**** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=517894)

durron597 10-07-2007 10:30 PM

**** ALDS GAME 4 Tribe/Yanks (Byrd vs. Wang)****

From mlb.com scouting report...

Scouting Report:
Indians: Byrd doesn't have electric raw stuff, but few can match his desire to win. After an uneven 10-9 season in '06, he came into '07 intently focused on being a more reliable contributor to the Tribe's rotation. What ensued was the third 15-win season of the veteran Byrd's career. Byrd made it happen with impeccable control. He pounds the zone in and out, which explains how he managed to walk just 28 batters in 192 1/3 innings. Byrd tossed complete-game shutouts against the Twins on Aug. 6 and against the White Sox on Sept. 1. But September wasn't entirely kind to him, as he went 2-3 with a 5.21 ERA to close out the regular season. Byrd made one start against the Yankees this season, and it was brutal. He allowed seven runs on seven hits in two innings of work in a home loss on Aug. 11. In eight career starts against the Yankees, he is 1-4 with a 4.44 ERA.

Yankees: Wang will pitch his second game of the ALDS on short rest, trying to rebound from his Game 1 loss. He lasted just 4 2/3 innings in that one, keeping his sinker high in the strike zone and watching the Indians pound it for eight runs in all. Wang said he didn't believe the short rest will be a problem, and that he wasn't feeling any soreness in his arm on Sunday night. Pitching coach Ron Guidry said the lack of rest might even be a bonus, with a little less velocity helping Wang's sinker move even more. No matter how he does it, he'll need to improve against the Indians, who put averaged nearly three base runners per inning off Wang in Game 1. The right-hander is now 1-2 in three career postseason starts.

durron597 10-07-2007 10:31 PM

Re: **** ALDS GAME 4 Tribe/Yanks (Byrd vs. Mussina)****

P.S. we sending you back home ya silly injuns

Kos13 10-07-2007 10:31 PM

I hate that Byrd is starting instead of CC.

MyTurn2Raise 10-07-2007 10:31 PM

desire to win is the x-factor

durron597 10-07-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't want C.C. to theoretically pitch game one of the ALCS?

wdcbooks 10-07-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Indians do anything factoring in their pitching lineup in the ALCS, they deserve what they get. The Yankees are in a bit of trouble if Mussina struggles early, I am not sure who they would go to.

bugstud 10-07-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pitching byrd means cc starts game 5, so now they don't win game 4 ever, laaaaaaaame

johnnylovescandy 10-07-2007 10:34 PM

C.C. pitching at Yankee Stadium and on short rest is a recipe for disaster.

durron597 10-07-2007 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pitching byrd means cc starts game 5, so now they don't win game 4 ever, laaaaaaaame

[/ QUOTE ]

ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

technologic 10-07-2007 10:36 PM

why is pitching wang on short rest not an option? his pitch count probably wasn't that high when he pitched game 1

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 10:36 PM

Is Moose the definate starter? I though Wang was pitching on short rest and Moose relieving him if needed.

Hollywade 10-07-2007 10:36 PM

Potentially dumb question:

If you are the Cleveland Indians, why don't you start the guy that will be named AL Cy Young winner on three days rest? Paul Byrd is 0-3 in the last couple years against New York and he throws 60 MPH BP fastballs. Sabathia makes sense. Worst case scenario: You lose Monday and then go back to Cleveland Wednesday with Fausto Carmona on the hill, who has arguably been the best starting pitcher in the majors since the All-Star break.

By the way, Joe Torre just announced that Mussina is not pitching Monday. Wang is. Good decision. Eric Wedge should follow suit.

ADLinden 10-07-2007 10:37 PM

sluggggggggggggggg fest

ADLinden 10-07-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sluggggggggggggggg fest

[/ QUOTE ]

never mind

durron597 10-07-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, Joe Torre just announced that Mussina is not pitching Monday. Wang is. Good decision. Eric Wedge should follow suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

linky?

Poofler 10-07-2007 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

linky?

[/ QUOTE ]

TV

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 10:39 PM

Wow, Torre actually made a decent decision? Cashman must have told him to start Wang.

Hollywade 10-07-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine anybody would actually argue against sending the 2007 AL Cy Young winner to the hill.

durron597 10-07-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

linky?

[/ QUOTE ]

TV

[/ QUOTE ]

oh

nothing on mlb.com about it yet, some articles from this morning was all i could find on google news

zer0 10-07-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Scouting Report:
Indians: Byrd doesn't have electric raw stuff, but few can match his desire to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

stopped reading there. why byrd/mussina anyways? seems way too passive for both managers

edit; shoulda read more [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Hollywade 10-07-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely not a good reason to start Paul Byrd. Looking past the New York Yankees just because you have a one game lead in a five-game series is ridiculous. Rather than planning ahead to a game against Boston that may never happen, I think you need to do whatever it takes to win the game that keeps your season going. First that would be game 4 and if that doesn't work out, then it's game 5. To hell with Thursday or Friday or whenever the ALCS starts.

johnnylovescandy 10-07-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine anybody would actually argue against sending the 2007 AL Cy Young winner to the hill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, but he's a choke artist and a lard-ass. Yankee's would chase him by the 5th.

Triumph36 10-07-2007 10:46 PM

if torre starts mussina, he deserves to be fired.

johnnylovescandy 10-07-2007 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Scouting Report:
Indians: Byrd doesn't have electric raw stuff, but few can match his desire to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOL!!!

CharlieDontSurf 10-07-2007 10:49 PM

After Game 1, Wang went to Torre and told him that he was starting Game 4...got to go with yr ace when he wants the ball..even if it is on short rest

Matt Williams 10-07-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Scouting Report:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOL!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the heart of a lion and just knows how to win.

durron597 10-07-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely not a good reason to start Paul Byrd. Looking past the New York Yankees just because you have a one game lead in a five-game series is ridiculous. Rather than planning ahead to a game against Boston that may never happen, I think you need to do whatever it takes to win the game that keeps your season going. First that would be game 4 and if that doesn't work out, then it's game 5. To hell with Thursday or Friday or whenever the ALCS starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

plz note my avatar. kthx.

johnnylovescandy 10-07-2007 10:53 PM

Against the Royals, maybe...

bowens 10-07-2007 10:56 PM

Anyone seen kyle? I'm afraid he may have gone and done something rash after the loss... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Hollywade 10-07-2007 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me neither, but he's a choke artist and a lard-ass. Yankee's would chase him by the 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take a choke artist lard-ass with Sabathia's talent over Paul Byrd any day. Seriously, what sounds better to you?

Option A - Game 4: well rested Paul Byrd, Game 5 (if necessary): C.C. Sabathia on full rest, Fausto Carmona sitting and watching with Cleveland's season in the balance

Option B - Game 4: eventual Cy Young winner C.C. Sabathia on 3 days rest, Game 5 (if necessary): Fausto Carmona on full rest

ADLinden 10-07-2007 10:57 PM

i want option B soooooooooooooo bad cmon wedge grow a pair

RedRover 10-07-2007 11:06 PM

loc: watching mussina not pwn

Hollywade 10-07-2007 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i want option B soooooooooooooo bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

kyleb 10-07-2007 11:42 PM

Pitching Byrd is fine if Mussina is going. I don't mind anymore.

Rubeskies 10-07-2007 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pitching Byrd is fine if Mussina is going. I don't mind anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wang will be pitching on 3 days rest. Not Moose.

kyleb 10-07-2007 11:48 PM

Then WTF is up with the subject. Never mind, this is idiotic. Pitch Sabathia on short rest.

LurchySoprano 10-07-2007 11:56 PM

Wedge apparently reiterated in the post game press conference that the Indians will definitely start Byrd in Game 4. The Yankees against Byrd is going to get very ugly tomorrow night in the Bronx.

kyleb 10-07-2007 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone seen kyle? I'm afraid he may have gone and done something rash after the loss... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

just went and got dinner then considered killing myself since i bet on the packers

durron597 10-08-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then WTF is up with the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

mlb.com out of date at time of thread creation

johnnybeef 10-08-2007 12:11 AM

Anyone selling tix to game 5? Byrd is such a horrible matchup against the Yankees. This [censored] sucks. I guess the good news is that no matter how lights out Pettite is in game 5, we have CC, Fausto, Jensen, the Rafs, and the bugs to outlast Pettite, Joba, and Rivera.

Also, Durron, I have an interesting prop bet for you. I will lay you 5:1 on there not being a Yanks Rockies Series, and you can lay me 4:1 on a not Yanks Rockies Series. IM me for details.