Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   "Lost" Albums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516509)

Dominic 10-05-2007 07:18 PM

\"Lost\" Albums

Inspired by Irieguy's post...Post a favorite album/CD you absolutely love but you don't think anyone else in The Lounge has even heard of before. And give us a description, not just a list! tell us WHY you love it and include links if possible.

Here's a couple of mine:

Sam Phillips - Cruel Inventions, 1991

Amazon link to Cruel Inventions

http://entimg.msn.com/img/prov_i/150...7778621355.jpg

The female singer, NOT the founder of Sun Records! She's married to legendary producer T-Bone Burnett and has made a few really great albums, including The Indescribable Wow and Martinis and Bikinis. Cruel Inventions was sandwiched in between those two and for me, it's her best work. Before her popular work, she was actually a Christian artist under the name Leslie Phillips. You might also know her as the blond assassin girlfriend to Jeremy Irons in Die Hard 3.

She's a singer/songwriter with a dark edge; more rock than pop. Great songs that are arranged by Van Dyke Parks, icy vocals, fantastic production by Burnett, and one album I still play over and over.

I couldn't find any songs online from this album, so here's a music video off of Martinis and Bikinis:
I Need Love

Serena Maneesh - Serena Maneesh, 2005

http://blog1.musicfield.jp/du_ds11/a...na-maneesh.jpg

This is a Norwegian band that plays a noisy, ethereal brand of rock, much in the vein of My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth. Noisy yet melodic, chaotic but controlled...it's probably my favorite "new music" cd of the last few years.

video for "Drain Cosmetics"

The above song is about as accessible as they get....the rest of the album isn't even broken up into "songs" per se, more like parts of a whole that include distortion and multiple part movements of the same piece.

Their music is so incredibly layered and loud and what some might mistake for just "noise," but underneath the chaos is incredible intricacy. Fantastic album in every way.

http://www.spin.com/features/band_of...707_serena.jpg

Fishwhenican 10-05-2007 09:00 PM

Re: \"Lost\" Albums

Starcastle - 1975
http://www.progarchives.com/progress...5619912006.jpg

I loved this album, OK I actually had the 8 Track version, and played it until I wore the tape out. This is a band out of champagne IL that was greatly influenced by Yes and was very good in the progressive rock genre of the 70's. The band was very tight and it was fun to listen to!

Many good memories of popping this in the old 8 track in my van and cruising around with my buddies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dominic 10-05-2007 09:42 PM

when you listen to Starcastle now, do you still anticipate the "break" in the one song as the 8-track changes tracks? I know every time I listen to the Cars first album, I expect "Dont cha Stop" to fade out in the middle and start back up again after a loud KERCHUNK. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

mrbaseball 10-05-2007 10:31 PM

An oldie but a goodie most of the kids here probably have never heard of.

A Scratch in the Sky - The Cryan Shames

This is a near perfect album from the late 60's. I'm guessing 1967. The Cryan Shames were very talented with fantasic harmonies and were pretty good musicians. They were (at the time) compared favorably to The Beatles but due to some internal problems never really had the opportunity to take off and were done after 3 albums. This one was their masterpiece. The "hit" on this particular album was "It could be we're in love" which is a great song. But their non-hits are really great and extremely well written and performed.

I really wish these guys could have stuck together and done more. But the little they did accomplish I still cherish and listen to regularly.

Fishwhenican 10-05-2007 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you listen to Starcastle now, do you still anticipate the "break" in the one song as the 8-track changes tracks? I know every time I listen to the Cars first album, I expect "Dont cha Stop" to fade out in the middle and start back up again after a loud KERCHUNK. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Yes! Every album I hear now that I used to listen to on 8 track does that to me.
I subscribe to Napster To Go and I have been "rediscovering" stuff I used to listen to lately and I have noticed that very thing. I was actually going to mention it in the post but figured no one would have any idea what I was talking about.

Fishwhenican 10-05-2007 11:49 PM

How about Souvenirs By Dan Fogelberg

I used to listen to this album a lot after I first moved out of my parents house and had more "alone time" than I was ever used to. It's just filled with really great songs that take me back to that time when life was so much simpler
I played in a lot of bands when I was younger and the last one I was in did this song at my request.
The Gambler
None of the guys had ever heard it before but when I played it for them they liked it, we learned it and played it every gig we did and people loved it. We were lucky to have 4 guys in the band who could sing well and the harmonies were just fantastic.

Here's another one:
Hermit of Mink Hollow - Todd Rundgren

This was another one of Todd's albums that he did all by himself. Writing, playing every instrument and all the vocals are him. Filled with really great tunes that I really enjoy
Can we still be friends
Just for fun
Onomatopoia

Rick Nebiolo 10-06-2007 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Inspired by Irieguy's post...Post a favorite album/CD you absolutely love but you don't think anyone else in The Lounge has even heard of before. And give us a description, not just a list! tell us WHY you love it and include links if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maria McKee never managed her career well after Lone Justice (or during her Lone Justice days for that matter) but her first two solo albums have been favorites for almost two decades. Maybe it's because I've seen her three times; she is simply lovely to the eyes and ears.

Here's a link to her self titled first album on Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the clips are decent quality; hope that is true across the board these days.

Here's a live clip of Panic Beach from that first album.

Another live clip of Maria on Chevy Chase's show from her second solo album

~ Rick

PS You Tube is sort of addictive even for 53 year olds so I couldn't stop myself from watching and posting this wild performance by Maria from her Lone Justice days. Sorry Dom if I went off topic but this is the way she was the first two times I saw her in the eighties.

Dominic 10-06-2007 07:21 AM

Wow! I'm a huge Maria McKee fan and have everything she's ever released...from the first Lone Justice album to her latest solo work. Love, love love her...I've also seen her twice - once in the early days with LJ and once during the Life is Sweet tour.

Nice pull!

whiskeytown 10-06-2007 07:22 AM

Bill Mallonee of the Vigilantes of Love has had about 4 record contracts fall out from under him, including one around 1999 that Buddy Miller produced called audible sigh with Emmylou Harris singing on it -

video for said Emmylou track is here - (I now own that Gretsch in the video, BTW and the 50's fender tweed amp)

both Audible Sign and Summershine were records lost at the end of VOL's existance - Summershine was released around 9/11 and got totally lost - it's now available for FREE download track by track from Bill's online music site at VOLsounds or billmallonee.net - 2nd album down - Audible sigh was more alt-country whereas summershine had some really good pop sounds on it -

Bill's an incredible lyricist - Edwin Mccain covered a couple tunes on the last album - last I heard he was living gig to gig and subbing as a janitor at a school in between tours - total waste of a great songwriter

RB

Roy Munson 10-06-2007 10:51 AM

"Thud" by Kevin Gilbert is a fantastic album that nobody I have ever met has heard of.

He hung himself jerking off before he had the opportuninty to hit it big.

esad 10-06-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! I'm a huge Maria McKee fan and have everything she's ever released...from the first Lone Justice album to her latest solo work. Love, love love her...I've also seen her twice - once in the early days with LJ and once during the Life is Sweet tour.

Nice pull!

[/ QUOTE ]

Double wow! This is who I was going to mention. Damn and I thought I was the only one. Here's a couple of cool live clips

Sweet, Sweet Baby Live Version - Very Good

Has He Got a Friend For Me
This is from Dutch TV, with her sitting at a piano in a hotel room and just singing the song.

Rick Nebiolo 10-06-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nice pull!

[/ QUOTE ]

Double wow! This is who I was going to mention. Damn and I thought I was the only one. Here's a couple of cool live clips

Sweet, Sweet Baby Live Version - Very Good

Has He Got a Friend For Me
This is from Dutch TV, with her sitting at a piano in a hotel room and just singing the song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding the Dutch TV clip (great clip BTW), apparently she "did well in Europe" as "they" sometimes say. A few years back my brother sent me a "Live - Swedish FM Disk (a two disk set)" from about the time of her warming up U2; it showed the electricity she could put out on stage very well. I'm pretty sure my brother trades only in legal concerts so you might be able to find it.

Of course Irieguy and Dom's threads got me to watch most of these last night goofing around You Tube; her Lone Justice stage sets weren't the best choice for pre-sleep music. I should have watched Lone Justice first and Richard and Linda Thompson from the other thread second. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, I may have posted another (or the same) version of Sweet Sweet Baby but I Found Love was another of her wilder live Lone Justice performances.

~ Rick

Blarg 10-06-2007 02:50 PM

The Catherine Wheel, by David Byrne. Made for the dance choreographed by Twyla Tharp, for me it soared above the dance. Very primal in the way that Byrne can be so keyed into, sometimes even shading into brutality, there are also moments of great tranquility and a sort of spiritual ascension. The music digs around in your guts and fears a bit, but processes it all and winds up someplace cool.

Dominic 10-06-2007 02:50 PM

"You Gotta Sin to Get Saved" is in my constant CD rotation...just a fantastic singer and songwriter...not sure why Maria McKee never became huge.

I know most people don't like the second Lone Justice album, Shelter, feeling it was a pop bastardation of their country sound, but I always dug it...a good song is a good song, you know? Besides, if Lone Justice hadn't broken up I doubt we would've gotten MM's incredible solo work.

Dominic 10-06-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Mallonee of the Vigilantes of Love has had about 4 record contracts fall out from under him, including one around 1999 that Buddy Miller produced called audible sigh with Emmylou Harris singing on it -

video for said Emmylou track is here - (I now own that Gretsch in the video, BTW and the 50's fender tweed amp)

both Audible Sign and Summershine were records lost at the end of VOL's existance - Summershine was released around 9/11 and got totally lost - it's now available for FREE download track by track from Bill's online music site at VOLsounds or billmallonee.net - 2nd album down - Audible sigh was more alt-country whereas summershine had some really good pop sounds on it -

Bill's an incredible lyricist - Edwin Mccain covered a couple tunes on the last album - last I heard he was living gig to gig and subbing as a janitor at a school in between tours - total waste of a great songwriter

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot...very cool find...thanks to you I'm into Kathleen Edwards and now Bill Mallonee!

Rick Nebiolo 10-06-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You Gotta Sin to Get Saved" is in my constant CD rotation...just a fantastic singer and songwriter...not sure why Maria McKee never became huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's in my rotation too. From listening to interviews and live concerts Maria seemed to be the type to always disavow her previous work (especially her Lone Justice work done the Lone Justice high energy style). I think she should have been savvy enough to through a few bones to her early fan base. She could have done it without sounding like a tribute band.

To stay in a "CD rotation" the music on the album needs to be timeless and there can't be any "skip over" cuts. Her Lone Justice albums do have a couple skip over cuts IMO.

I still like music played through a real stereo in the living room so a CD rotation is important to me. Only ten percent of my CDs continuously stay in the rotation; the skip over cut thing is much easier to edit out of an iTunes playlist.

My dream is to take an old computer, install huge disk drives, rip my best CDs into a lossless format and put them on the old computer, figure out a way to connect this to my 5.1/7.1 A/V home theater and set up an iTunes type interface where I can sit back in a chair with a click wheel type remote and listen to full fidelity music and custom playlists. I know something like it can be done with an iDock but I prefer the lossless format and need more storage than can be found on an iPod.

[ QUOTE ]
I know most people don't like the second Lone Justice album, Shelter, feeling it was a pop bastardation of their country sound, but I always dug it...a good song is a good song, you know? Besides, if Lone Justice hadn't broken up I doubt we would've gotten MM's incredible solo work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to the Shelter album now. Maybe there aren't any skip over cuts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

Dominic 10-06-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's in my rotation too. From listening to interviews and live concerts Maria seemed to be the type to always disavow her previous work (especially her Lone Justice work done the Lone Justice high energy style). I think she should have been savvy enough to through a few bones to her early fan base. She could have done it without sounding like a tribute band.

To stay in a "CD rotation" the music on the album needs to be timeless and there can't be any "skip over" cuts. Her Lone Justice albums do have a couple skip over cuts IMO.

I still like music played through a real stereo in the living room so a CD rotation is important to me. Only ten percent of my CDs continuously stay in the rotation; the skip over cut thing is much easier to edit out of an iTunes playlist.

My dream is to take an old computer, install huge disk drives, rip my best CDs into a lossless format and put them on the old computer, figure out a way to connect this to my 5.1/7.1 A/V home theater and set up an iTunes type interface where I can sit back in a chair with a click wheel type remote and listen to full fidelity music and custom playlists. I know something like it can be done with an iDock but I prefer the lossless format and need more storage than can be found on an iPod.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to the Shelter album now. Maybe there aren't any skip over cuts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy did I bastardize bastardization! "Bastardation?" I think too much poker is killing brain cells.

I always liked Shelter better than the first LJ album... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ...and I'm listening to You Gotta sin to Get Saved right now! Sometimes I just loop "I Forgive You" over and over. I can't stop this habit anyway...

Can't you just connect a hard drive with your songs on it to a decent speaker system? Doesn't seem that hard to do.

Rick Nebiolo 10-06-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't you just connect a hard drive with your songs on it to a decent speaker system? Doesn't seem that hard to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain you need to convert your CD cuts to the right lossless format that will support tagging (since I want an iTunes like interface). I'll have an old computer to work with this winter and try to figure out how to hook it up to the A/V receiver. The remote needs to look like a click wheel and the TV serves as the menu screen. But it might be easier to do than I think. I'll research it more deeply when time permits.

Meanwhile my desktop computer sounds great with upper end Klipsh speakers but that's in a bedroom office.

~ Rick

Myrtle 10-06-2007 05:46 PM

Here's on for ya........

Flash and the Pan.

They don't have many of the cuts of off the album, but I have to wonder if anyone here has ever heard of them?

Funky, creative Aussie band from the 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_yJ...;search=80%27s

....Have fun!

dylan's alias 10-06-2007 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain you need to convert your CD cuts to the right lossless format that will support tagging (since I want an iTunes like interface). I'll have an old computer to work with this winter and try to figure out how to hook it up to the A/V receiver. The remote needs to look like a click wheel and the TV serves as the menu screen. But it might be easier to do than I think. I'll research it more deeply when time permits.

Meanwhile my desktop computer sounds great with upper end Klipsh speakers but that's in a bedroom office.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

The Apple Airport Express is a wireless router that has an audio output. I have my hard drive hooked up to a different router (Airport extreme) so I can use my laptop to connect to my entire library on the hard drive and stream to the stereo. I'm pretty sure that streaming from iTunes has some degradation, even from a lossless source, but this might be close to the solution you are looking for.

John Cole 10-06-2007 11:27 PM

Abbey Lincoln's Straight Ahead, featuring Max Roach, Coleman Hawkins, and Eric Dolphy is simply superb. I have this one on vinyl tucked away somewhere. Highlights include "When Malindy Sings" and the title song. Although Lincoln never became a star on the order of Billie Holiday or Nina Simone, she should have. Straight Ahead

John Cole 10-06-2007 11:51 PM

Until I checked on Amazon, I didn't realize that so many people would remember Audience . Released in 1971, House on the Hill is probably their best effort. (I'm not sure I could stand this now, though.)

jfk 10-07-2007 12:45 AM

There's an album from the early '70's called "On the Road to Freedom" by Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevre.

Lee was a well known blues/rock guitarist who fronted for the band Ten Years After and who was very well known for his performance at Woodstock. Lee wanted to make a departure from that trajectory of his career and found LeFevre who was a relatively obscure gospel singer with no real rock credits to his name.

The album (and it was vinyl, kids) was long one of my favorites though I've never heard it mentioned, never heard it receive airplay and have never known anyone else who has owned it or heard it played.

The supporting lineup of background musicians is remarkable as well (although the details are now a little fuzzy). George Harrison plays guitar (under a pseudonym) and may have co-written one of the songs. I'm pretty sure that Jim Capaldi and Rebop from Traffic appear on the album and I think Ronnie Wood is in at least one of the songs as well. The remarkable, super-group like collection of talent seeps through the album.

To my knowledge LeFevre never did anything similar again and has never really been a significant force on the music scene. He later became an evangelical minister in the south. Some now point to this album, which is not in any way overtly religious as something of a seminal album in the Christian rock movement. LeFevre has even been termed by some as a father of Christian rock based on the strength of this lone contribution.

Alvin Lee went on to produce many solo albums and has had a long career in that capacity. For those not familiar with his discography, he's somewhere between say, George Thoroughgood and Eric Clapton both in terms of musical style and popularity/success. If you're under the age of 40 you wouldn't really have any reason to know who Alvin Lee is but if you graduated from high school in 1969 he might be a big deal to you (and you still may never have heard of this album).

If you like the Allman Bros., early Clapton, Little Feat, Ozark Mtn. Daredevils and the like, you should track down this album.

+++
+++

Completely changing gears, if you like adult lounge music and its ancilliary branches, go through the offerings of Jenny Toomey.

She's had bands like Grenadine, Tsunami and Liquorice and a solo career as well. There's a wide range in there, everything from club/trance music to lounge style crooning. She and her band mates (when applicable) do a very smart, sophisticated range of songs. If you liked '90's era college/indie rock mixed with quality lounge era songs go up and down the list of everything Jenny Toomey has touched.

Here are a couple of tracks from her single album (I think its "Antidote". She does a mean cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Fool for You" http://www.rhapsody.com/jennytoomey

Rick Nebiolo 10-07-2007 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's an album from the early '70's called "On the Road to Freedom" by Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 53 now but when I was about 14 years old the big debate in my hicksville high school was whether or not Alvin Lee fronting Ten Years After or Grand Funk Railroad was the better band [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

Myrtle 10-07-2007 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 53 now but when I was about 14 years old the big debate in my hicksville high school was whether or not Alvin Lee fronting Ten Years After or Grand Funk Railroad was the better band [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote would have been Ten Years After........

Dominic 10-07-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, obviously...even though I have a soft spot for them, GFR was the Nickleback of the 70s.

Rick Nebiolo 10-08-2007 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, obviously...even though I have a soft spot for them, GFR was the Nickleback of the 70s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to look up Nickleback to place them in the correct decade. But I ran into a wall. From the Wiki "The neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved."

~ Rick

Dominic 10-08-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to look up Nickleback to place them in the correct decade. But I ran into a wall. From the Wiki "The neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved."

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Nickelback is a current best-selling, albeit much derided, rock band. Much like Grand Funk Railroad was.

Phat Mack 10-08-2007 12:05 PM

I've got too many "lost albums" to put a dent in, but I keep coming across people who haven't heard of Leonard Cohen, so I'll mention his first album, Songs of Leonard Cohen .

Some of its songs were used in the sound track to McCabe and Mrs. Miller. The Stranger Song mentions "the holy game of poker," a phrase I still use after hearing it forty years ago. Amazon lists Cohen as a Folk artist, but I would hate to try to categorize him. Some of his more recent albums (Icelandic concert is worth checking out) contain more modern arrangements of his work.

Blarg 10-08-2007 12:23 PM

I didn't know he was still kicking.

LazyBob 10-08-2007 07:17 PM

Two of my favorite albums. Probaly not well known stuff for the loungers since the albums havent been released in the US.

Thomas Dybdalh - Stray Dogs 2003

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...XL._AA240_.jpg

A Norwegian musician in singer/songwriter tradition.

Thomas Dybdahl - Cecilia

The National Bank - The National Bank 2004

http://www.nhhs.no/underutvalg/bulle.../0704/201a.jpg

The National Bank is a Norwegian rock/pop band. All the Band members are well know Norwegian musicans Thomas Dybdalh from the album above is the singer

National bank - Tolerate

NeedsMoreNuts 10-09-2007 12:10 AM

Deltron 3030

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/pr...ron30_101b.jpg

Great alternative rap concept album from Del the Funky Homosapien (of Gorillaz fame), DJ Kid Koala, and Dan the Automater. One of my personal Top Ten albums.

sixfour 10-09-2007 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deltron 3030

[/ QUOTE ]

A great choice, although it's not as obscure as you might think (I've got it, as have quite a few people in Dids' hip hop thread in EDF)

I'll offer this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Sea_Power.png

They're pretty much under the radar even in the UK, and are one of those bands that you need to see live to properly appreciate, but imo this is one of the best debut albums I've heard in a long time.

OrigamiSensei 10-09-2007 09:05 PM

You may know them for I Know What Boys Like, Christmas Wrapping and Square Pegs but the Waitresses were much more than that. Edgy, experimental and featuring songs written by a man from a female viewpoint and sung by a woman the group was musically tight and lyrically satirical. The songs captured the frustration and doubt of Gen Xers caught in the backwash of the Baby Boom yet still managed to uphold a certain cheeky optimism in the face of an uncertain and uncaring world.

After Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful and the EP I Could Rule The World If I Could Only Get The Parts the Waitresses released a final studio effort that sank completely without a trace, Bruiseology. That, of course, is my nomination for the "lost album".

Leader Chris Butler had his original claim to fame as a member of Tin Huey, a 70s Midwestern band of minor renown. Note the presence of Tracy Wormworth on bass, who would also go on to become one of the best female bass players ever with a long and prosperous career.

I leave you with an interesting pair of interviews with Chris Butler and Tracy Wormworth: http://hannahtoes.tripod.com/waitresses.html

Dominic 10-09-2007 09:18 PM

god, I loved The Waitresses...I saw them at a small club in NYC a long time ago...

samjjones 10-09-2007 09:36 PM

Everybody knows at least one song on this, but how many people own the album?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dominic 10-09-2007 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do! And by "album" I really mean I own the album!

Myrtle 10-09-2007 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moi Aussi.....

Buried in boxes with the rest of my vinyl.

J.Brown 10-09-2007 11:53 PM

i don't think their albums were u.s. releases (because i paid import prices), but check out Fellow Travelers.

their lead singer, Jeb Loy Nichols, had a song on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack, but i really liked the group stuff better. dub/country/reggae with poignant lyrics about loss, love, walking in the rain, and being poor.

http://www.jebloynichols.co.uk/fellow.htm

anyone else ever heard of them?

later. J.

nails 10-10-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moi Aussi.....

Buried in boxes with the rest of my vinyl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own it on both vinyl and CD. My personal favorite off this album is Whatever's Written in Your Heart, with its gospel-tinged chorus.

I also have this lost album on vinyl:

http://www.strawbsweb.co.uk/related/steal/stealers.jpg

The attraction here is Stuck in the Middle with You, but there's some decent stuff elsewhere on the album, most notably the last two cuts, Gets So Lonely and You Put Something Better Inside of Me. (Rafferty uses the title of this last one in the lyrics of Right Down the Line on City to City.)