Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Watch Out For Ron Paul (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516507)

Borodog 10-05-2007 07:17 PM

Watch Out For Ron Paul

I don't know about anyone else, but I am STOKED about the $5M+ fundraising results announced by Dr. Paul for the 3rd quarter. So is the national media apparently, since I've seen half a dozen amazed pieces about it on CNN, Fox, ABC, MSNBC, etc. in the past 24 hours. While behind the top 3, he's basically surpassing McCain, and raising the same order of magnitude as the top 3. Not to mention that Dr. Paul's fundraising went up by basically 100%, while the top three's fundraising all DROPPED by double digit percentages. I believe Dr. Paul's numbers will build like a snowball as more and more people realize that donating to him is not "throwing their money away", far from it. I expect Dr. Paul's numbers to redouble again in the next quarter while the top 3 continue to fall. I personally will be increasing my donations. I challenge all Ron Paul supporters on the board to do the same. All of the stories I saw were about the numbers, with very little about the trends. The top three are trending down, and Dr. Paul is trending up, and I think that up trend will kick off a fundraising positive feedback loop that will catapult Dr. Paul to the "top tier" of Republican candidates.

Haters: Flame away.

Lovers: Donate.

Taso 10-05-2007 07:28 PM

Re: Watch Out For Ron Paul

Is there a maximum that can be donated?

iron81 10-05-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
2,300 per person. If you're going to give that kind of money, I'd save it for when he comes to your town to do a fundraiser.

To add to what Borodog saw, here's a Wall Street Journal article devoted to Paul. $5m in a quarter is impressive for a 2nd tier candidate and the money is good for getting some ink in the "horse race" articles.

Low Key 10-05-2007 07:38 PM

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/897...icacopynd6.jpg

Taso 10-05-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
2,300 per person. If you're going to give that kind of money, I'd save it for when he comes to your town to do a fundraiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? And is that per fundraising quarter?

iron81 10-05-2007 07:41 PM

No. People over 18 may give up to 2,300 for Paul's primary campaign, so once for the entire campaign. If he gets the nomination, you may give another 2,300 for the general election.

Taso 10-05-2007 07:42 PM

Okay thanks.

Why did you say to save it for when he comes to my town?

Also, can people UNDER 18 give more? Or can they not give anything at all?

jogsxyz 10-05-2007 07:46 PM

That's a 72 year-old Captain America. He wont win.

[ QUOTE ]
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/897...icacopynd6.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

iron81 10-05-2007 07:47 PM

Candidates generally travel the country holding fund raisers that they attend. If you attend one of these fund raisers, you get a little party out of it plus you'll probably get to have your picture taken with him. If you like the guy that much, I imagine you'd find that fun.

As for 18 year olds, I'm not a 100% about this, but don't give him money in your kids names. Bad idea.

Brief hijack for the fundraising for the rest of the field in the 3rd quarter only:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Clinton $28 million
Obama $20 million
Edwards $7 million

Giuliani $11 million
Romney $10 million + $9 million from his personal funds
Thompson $9 million
McCain $6 million </pre><hr />

NickMPK 10-05-2007 07:52 PM

Everyone who would be inclined to vote for Ron Paul is already voting for him, and probably has already given him money. This is about 1% of the population, which will translate into 2-3% in the GOP primaries.

Scary_Tiger 10-05-2007 07:52 PM

I donated 200 in each of the last two quarters, I'll probably pitch in some more this quarter.

GoodCallYouWin 10-05-2007 08:04 PM

Ron Paul's 114 percent increase is in stark contrast to the decrease suffered by Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, and John McCain. Romney's fundraising was down 29 percent. Giuliani was down 40 percent. McCain was down 55 percent.

mjkidd 10-05-2007 08:22 PM

Why isn't Romney limited by the 2300 donation cap?

Scary_Tiger 10-05-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't Romney limited by the 2300 donation cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should certainly be noted that the Romney campaign is 6 million into the red if it wasn't for funding it himself.

Borodog 10-05-2007 08:37 PM

I would also like to point out that Dr. Paul's average donation was apparently $40. That leaves a LOT of room for repeat donations, not to mention new donators.

The people who think that "everyone who would vote for Dr. Paul are already supporting him" are going to be in for a big surprise. I'll let others elaborate. Brief Hint: "Freedom is good", "Taxation, regulation, and government in general should all be smaller" and "End the war" all resonate. There is exactly one candidate who espouses all of these positions.

slickpoppa 10-05-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also like to point out that Dr. Paul's average donation was apparently $40. That leaves a LOT of room for repeat donations, not to mention new donators.

The people who think that "everyone who would vote for Dr. Paul are already supporting him" are going to be in for a big surprise. I'll let others elaborate. Brief Hint: "Freedom is good", "Taxation, regulation, and government in general should all be smaller" and "End the war" all resonate. There is exactly one candidate who espouses all of these positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it. There is the possibility of independents and democrats turning out in large numbers for Paul in the primaries, but the deck is already stacked so strongly against him. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

theseus51 10-05-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it. There is the possibility of independents and democrats turning out in large numbers for Paul in the primaries, but the deck is already stacked so strongly against him. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I support Ron Paul. But it looks like he won't win. So I shouldn't waste my time. I should just support those people who look like they are going to win. The front runners have the exact opposite views on policy of Ron Paul. So I'm going to support people who have the exact opposite agenda that I want.

Wait. There's a logic flaw somewhere in there, hmm.

Oh yeah, it's that people should support who they want to win, not who they think is going to win. That's right.

Borodog 10-05-2007 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with this analysis. But looking back upon the scope of American history, stranger things have happened. John Adams didn't install himself as dictator. Grover Cleveland got elected. The Whigs put John Tyler on the ticket with Harrison because "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" was catchy and then Harrison was patriotic enough to take the eternal celestial dirtnap after a month.

Regardless of whether Ron Paul can win a Republican primary, he is in for the long haul, and his ideas will change the shape of the entire debate.

slickpoppa 10-05-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I support Ron Paul. But it looks like he won't win. So I shouldn't waste my time. I should just support those people who look like they are going to win. The front runners have the exact opposite views on policy of Ron Paul. So I'm going to support people who have the exact opposite agenda that I want.

Oh yeah, it's that people should support who they want to win, not who they think is going to win. That's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I never said you shouldn't support Ron Paul. I was just critiquing Boro's optimistic assessment of how well Paul's message will resonate with people who will vote in the Republican primaries.

AlexM 10-05-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally will be increasing my donations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. You won't vote for Ron Paul but you'll give his campaign money??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

iron81 10-05-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. You won't vote for Ron Paul but you'll give his campaign money??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Paul can buy more campaign ads with money than votes.

Scary_Tiger 10-05-2007 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Paul can buy more votes with money than votes.

[/ QUOTE ]

AlexM 10-05-2007 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brief Hint: "Freedom is good", "Taxation, regulation, and government in general should all be smaller" and "End the war" all resonate. There is exactly one candidate who espouses any of these positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

lehighguy 10-05-2007 10:09 PM

It is sad that they are starting to kick independents out of the primaries. Most libraterians are independents.

Copernicus 10-05-2007 10:13 PM

Watch out for him? Why? Is he going to fart in that superhero suit and be jet propelled into someones house and destroy it?

At least if it was a Republican voters house he'd have some impact on the primaries.

Low Key 10-05-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is the possibility of independents and democrats turning out in large numbers for Paul in the primaries, but the deck is already stacked so strongly against him. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't someone recently post something about how Republicans were trying to close most of their primaries so that only registered Repubs could vote in them?

I mean, strategy-wise, letting him get the nod would probably be the best thing the Repubs could do right now. He'd probably get a large portion of the independent vote, as well as lots of Dems, if Hillary gets on the ticket.

I guess we'll know soon enough if Repubs want to run someone who can win, or someone who shares more of their views but will lose.

Cumulonimbus 10-05-2007 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad liked Bush forever..then I introduced him to Ron, and he LOVES him. So yeah, anxnay on your ointpay.

edit: and so do some of his friends now too.

AlexM 10-05-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is the possibility of independents and democrats turning out in large numbers for Paul in the primaries, but the deck is already stacked so strongly against him. Sorry, but thats the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't someone recently post something about how Republicans were trying to close most of their primaries so that only registered Repubs could vote in them?

I mean, strategy-wise, letting him get the nod would probably be the best thing the Repubs could do right now. He'd probably get a large portion of the independent vote, as well as lots of Dems, if Hillary gets on the ticket.

I guess we'll know soon enough if Repubs want to run someone who can win, or someone who shares more of their views but will lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

They made this clear last election cycle in Texas where due to a technicality the Republican candidate couldn't be on the ticket in a dominantly Republican precinct and rather than supporting the Libertarian candidate, they tried to do a write in knowing it would fail. The Democratic candidate won in a landslide.

And then they turn around and tell us not to throw away our votes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

NickMPK 10-05-2007 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They made this clear last election cycle in Texas where due to a technicality the Republican candidate couldn't be on the ticket in a dominantly Republican precinct and rather than supporting the Libertarian candidate, they tried to do a write in knowing it would fail. The Democratic candidate won in a landslide.

And then they turn around and tell us not to throw away our votes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Republicans support the Libertarian? Most Republican are ideologically most closer to the Democrats (especially Southern Democrats, as in the case you cited), than they are to the Libertarian Party.

AlexM 10-05-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Republicans support the Libertarian? Most Republican are ideologically most closer to the Democrats (especially Southern Democrats, as in the case you cited), than they are to the Libertarian Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what the Republicans and Democrats claim! (but I agree)

Low Key 10-05-2007 11:01 PM

I always thought old school Republicans were closer to Libertarians than Democrats. But certainly not this new breed of cut taxes and spend.

slickpoppa 10-06-2007 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul's anti-war stance doesn't resonate with the majority of registered Republicans. You underestimate how blindly bellicose and jingoistic most Republicans are. 69% of Republicans still approve of Bush ( http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...CTpNEgrmnvEVBA ) . Do you think the type of person who still approves of Bush is going to vote for Ron Paul? I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad liked Bush forever..then I introduced him to Ron, and he LOVES him. So yeah, anxnay on your ointpay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right, giving an example of one person is a good argument and totally destroys my point. Just forget the fact that 69% of people still love Bush and the War in Iraq. I'm sure they'll come around on Ron Paul any day now.

theseus51 10-06-2007 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again. I never said you shouldn't support Ron Paul. I was just critiquing Boro's optimistic assessment of how well Paul's message will resonate with people who will vote in the Republican primaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just used to people saying "don't waste your vote" and all that nonsense, but yeah. I apologize.

Oh, and to the above posters, of course the Republicans would rather have a Democrat than a Libertarian. I mean they hate Ron Paul is congress. They act like they're "fiscally conservative" cause they spend less than Democrats. But it's much harder to look like a true fiscal conservative if you have to compare yourself to Ron Paul.

Low Key 10-06-2007 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I'm just used to people saying "don't waste your vote" and all that nonsense, but yeah. I apologize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste your vote, it's totally worth it. The first time I voted, I didn't vote my conscience. I felt bad about it for four years. It's not worth the guilt!

Mempho 10-06-2007 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste your vote, it's totally worth it. The first time I voted, I didn't vote my conscience. I felt bad about it for four years. It's not worth the guilt!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like the guy, then don't vote for him. Plus, it opens up the door for more converts when people ask how you voted.

Jamougha 10-06-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They act like they're "fiscally conservative" cause they spend less than Democrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. They tax less, I don't see them spending less. Clinton was the one who cut social programmes and balanced the budget.

ALawPoker 10-06-2007 12:42 PM

Slick, do you really think the fact that 69% of registered Republicans "support" Bush in this poll means a whole lot? Why then is every single candidate doing their best to mention his name as infrequently as possible?

Registered members of a party (and Reps probably more so than Dems) will always claim a loyalty to their guy. Reading this data the way you are, I'm amazed that a pro-choice, anti-gun New York mayor and a Mormon Massachusetts Governor with a socially liberal history are 1 and 2.

Regardless, there are plenty of people (like me) who are currently registered nothings, but will soon be Republicans voting for Paul. Five million dollars means 5 million dollars. It means he is gaining a ton of momentum. If the best "Paul has no chance" argument you can think of is that people want another Bush, then I'm feeling pretty encouraged.

Borodog 10-06-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will vote for Dr. Paul, but only because it will make me feel good.

But the answer to your question is yes, even if I weren't going to vote for him, and for the same reason.

JuntMonkey 10-06-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless, there are plenty of people (like me) who are currently registered nothings, but will soon be Republicans voting for Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're currently a registered nothing you'd better move really fast on registering Republican.

Bump_Bailey 10-06-2007 01:27 PM

An obvious oversimplification but with some validity.
If 70% of Republicans support Bush and their are 7 candidates running to continue Bush's legacy (thus splitting up their votes). That leaves 30% of Republican voters searching for something else and only one candidate who can offer that.

Simple math barring any funny business by RNC at the Convention leads to a Paul nomination.