Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Phil Ivey Challenge?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516251)

The 13th 4postle 10-05-2007 12:33 PM

The Phil Ivey Challenge??

Phil Ivey said on ESPN the pokeredge that he could one up Chris Ferguson and turn 5,000 bankroll into a million and not go broke. Chris Ferguson said he might take up the bet.

Personally I think 5,000 is a lot to start with. But I don't think he could stand playing such low limits.

He first mentioned having ten tries with a bankroll of 1,000 but thats basically BS.

Fish_Cake_YumYum 10-05-2007 12:34 PM

Re: The Phil Ivey Challenge??

what show is this???

Orlando Salazar 10-05-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Ivey said on ESPN the pokeredge that he could one up Chris Ferguson and turn 5,000 bankroll into a million and not go broke. Chris Ferguson said he might take up the bet.

Personally I think 5,000 is a lot to start with. But I don't think he could stand playing such low limits.

He first mentioned having ten tries with a bankroll of 1,000 but thats basically BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, Phil is God. He can do whatever he wants.

dying2win 10-05-2007 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, Phil is God. He can do whatever he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

timmay28 10-05-2007 12:40 PM

I can't see Phil following CF's bankroll rules too closely.

Alobar 10-05-2007 12:49 PM

This is retarded, its a lock as long as he follows bankroll management, so basically its not a "I can turn 5K into a million" challenge its a "do I have enough dicipline to win this bet, or will I decide that I dont care because Im already filthy rich and the money doesnt mean anything to me" challenge

The 13th 4postle 10-05-2007 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what show is this???

[/ QUOTE ]
A podcast that you can download for free through Itunes. Personally I think Rounders Podcast is much better.

selurah 10-05-2007 02:09 PM

Ivey plays way too high and has way too much money to even come close to completing this challenge. He would lose interest inside of 1 month. That is unless the prop bet is absolutely insanely huge.

btmagnetw 10-05-2007 02:12 PM

if the bet is substantial enough, ivey would do it. but the problem is that the bet needs to be more than (phil's hourly rate * number of hours needed to do this) - $995,000. phil always said that he plays for money, not fame, accomplishment, proving himself, etc.

Crusher19 10-05-2007 02:13 PM

if ivey had healthy action against him say maybe 750k against him or more i think it would be enough to motivate him to beat the lower games for awhile. if the bet was for 100k i don think he would try hard enough because that money means so little to him

imozyslow 10-05-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ivey plays way too high and has way too much money to even come close to completing this challenge. He would lose interest inside of 1 month.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on how much the bet is for obviously.

selurah 10-05-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ivey plays way too high and has way too much money to even come close to completing this challenge. He would lose interest inside of 1 month.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on how much the bet is for obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I edited my post. If the action is insane I can see him doing it. If it's like the Chris Ferguson challenge where he is just doing it to prove he can, then there isn't a prayer in hell.

mattnxtc 10-05-2007 02:25 PM

Ferguson doesnt seem like the gambling type all that much and so I kind of assume that the number he would come up would be significantly lower than what it would take to interest Ivey.

bdams19 10-05-2007 02:27 PM

do it jerome

Orlando Salazar 10-05-2007 02:31 PM

The bet clearly isn't based on Ivey's skill level. Cause as I mentioned, he is a poker GOD.
I think he could play 400NL on a 5k roll and average 10bb/100. At 400 hands an hour, moving up one level every time his roll doubled, he could be at 1 million in 40 hours of play time. This is kinda feasible if his win rate remains constant.

imozyslow 10-05-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bet clearly isn't based on Ivey's skill level. Cause as I mentioned, he is a poker GOD.
I think he could play 400NL on a 5k roll and average 10bb/100. At 400 hands an hour, moving up one level every time his roll doubled, he could be at 1 million in 40 hours of play time. This is kinda feasible if his win rate remains constant.

[/ QUOTE ]

5K to 1M in 40hrs of play time??!! Now that is a bet.

samsdmf 10-05-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But how much would have have to spend on the time machine to take him abck to 2005?

Orlando Salazar 10-05-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But how much would have have to spend on the time machine to take him abck to 2005?

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't need a time machine. Jman or Aba will do just fine.

Daddy Warbucks 10-05-2007 02:44 PM

SALAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

PhilBeans 10-05-2007 03:04 PM

How much money do you think this guy really has? I don't think he can just go blowing million dollar bets and have it mean nothing. 500k would definately be enough to motivate him.

Orlando Salazar 10-05-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much money do you think this guy really has? I don't think he can just go blowing million dollar bets and have it mean nothing. 500k would definately be enough to motivate him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you didn't watch that Full Tilt cash game. He said he wouldn't take 10 million to get a desk job for a year. He's loaded. I'd guess well over 20 million.

zach383z 10-05-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you didn't watch that Full Tilt cash game. He said he wouldn't take 10 million to get a desk job for a year. He's loaded. I'd guess well over 20 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can you watch this?

The B 10-05-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said he wouldn't take 10 million to get a desk job for a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope Phil didn't say this because it's a f'ing ignorant & ridiculous comment if he did....$10 million for a one-year desk job is +EV, even if you have 20 mill under the mattress it still makes sense to spend 200+ some odd days out of the year grinding a 9-5 for this kind of money...any smart gambler/poker player would be foolish to turn this down

AbreuTime 10-05-2007 03:26 PM

Not if he values his leisure time immensely. The extra 10M does not allow him to buy much "extra" that he can't already afford.

Orlando Salazar 10-05-2007 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He said he wouldn't take 10 million to get a desk job for a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope Phil didn't say this because it's a f'ing ignorant & ridiculous comment if he did....$10 million for a one-year desk job is +EV, even if you have 20 mill under the mattress it still makes sense to spend 200+ some odd days out of the year grinding a 9-5 for this kind of money...any smart gambler/poker player would be foolish to turn this down

[/ QUOTE ]

He said he likes his life too much. After the first few million how much would you care about +EV if it made you unhappy to get it? The answer is that you wouldn't.

PocketElevens 10-05-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Id like to counter this via the use of logic.

If he could do that, then he would make 1 million a week.

Phil Ivey doesnt make 52 million a a year, so he can't do that.

ZingyDNA 10-05-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Id like to counter this via the use of logic.

If he could do that, then he would make 1 million a week.

Phil Ivey doesnt make 52 million a a year, so he can't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You logic is flawed. No way Phil wants to play 40 hours of 400NL every week, even if he makes 52 million a year from that. He's just happy making 20 mil a year from ftp and owning nosebleed cash games a few hours a week.

LearnedfromTV 10-05-2007 04:06 PM

There's a lot of dumb in this thread.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-05-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
in how long?

huhwhatyousay? 10-05-2007 04:17 PM

Utility function ftw.

Arito 10-05-2007 04:18 PM

Am I the only one that thinks he has <5% chance of doing this, even if he put his mind to it?

Orlando Salazar 10-05-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that thinks he has <5% chance of doing this, even if he put his mind to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

jogsxyz 10-05-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ivey has less than 5% chance. He has no patience. Online he has no read advantages. He may not be able to play more than 4 tables simultaneously. If he follows Jesus' bankroll requirements it will take forever.

Also how many tries does he get? First time busto, is the bet over with Ivey losing? Then definitely < 5%.

Xaston 10-05-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of dumb in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carolina Pirate 10-05-2007 05:48 PM

Love how every here knows Ivey so well that they can determine if he's serious and if he will do it or not. Why does he need side action to do this? Let's see, profit of $995,000 not enough..he needs more reason to do so. Last time I checked, he had a huge ego (like most players do) and stock in the company. He does this, FullTilt will make noise about it and push it in the magazines, FT will add more members which means more rake and more revenue and his stock goes up up. There's the real +EV.

Dire 10-05-2007 05:49 PM

The bet is nothing without a time restriction. Any winning poker player can turn any amount of money (that allows him to be sufficiently rolled for 'some' game) into another amount of money, given enough time. How about.. 3 months? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The 13th 4postle 10-05-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
in how long?

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't mention any specifics like that.

Topset72 10-05-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When it was apparent Ivey was going to lose $200,000 on the Eric Lindgren golf bet, Ivey said he didn't care about losing the 200,000 as as long as Eric suffered. His bankroll must be pretty solid.

DonButtons 10-05-2007 06:52 PM

I think it was confirmed he made like $20mill one year in the big game alone couple back.

Anyways, 5k to mill, I wouldnt bet vs it if he can follow some type of strict bankroll management and stop losses. And he seems to follow his stop losses at high stakes very well so I wouldnt go vs it. He can also play a [censored] load of tables at a time and low stakes omaha you can make 2-3x that of a good player can make at nl 6max so it can go really fast.

I think this bet needs a time frame to make it juicy. Cause if its 1.5 years, I would take it as well.

KurtSF 10-05-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he follows Jesus' bankroll requirements it will take forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he's a better player than CF so he really shouldn't be following his BR requirements. Ivey's BR requirements would be lower at a given level than CF, especially if he is less risk averse.