Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ron Paul Raises Over 5 Million In 3rd QTR (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514999)

4 High 10-03-2007 06:28 PM

Ron Paul Raises Over 5 Million In 3rd QTR

http://blog.ronpaul2008.com/ron_paul...release-t.html

I know a lot of posters here will be very happy. It looks like he will have outraised everyone not in the top tier, easily beating Huckabee, Tancredo, Hunter etc. Im not a Paul supporter, but this is obviously very good for his campaign. They can use this to build a real organization on the ground in IA and NH. It will be interesting to see if he can translate this into success elsewhere.

Cumulonimbus 10-03-2007 06:57 PM

Re: Ron Paul Raises Over 5 Million In 3rd QTR

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.rense.com/1.imagesH/paulheart_dees.jpg

Ron Burgundy 10-03-2007 07:02 PM

BOOOOMMMMSHIPIT

lehighguy 10-03-2007 07:54 PM

He'll have decent enough funds to make his stand in NH. A good showing there gives him a chance.

Tornado69 10-03-2007 08:44 PM

Anyone have a link to where a non US citizen can donate $ to his campaign ?

JayTee 10-03-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.

AWoodside 10-03-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Search on google for some of the main meet-up groups. You might be able to donate to one of the more influential 3rd party, grass roots organizations and still be within the law. I'm not certain but that sounds more legit.

Klompy 10-03-2007 08:59 PM

I'm a slacker and I just started reading the platforms for everyone today. I don't think there's much that I disagree with this guy on. I've never actually liked a single politician before and usually just ended up voting for the lesser of two evils, I honestly feel like supporting this guy though. I think I'm going to make the first donation, and buy the first political sign of my life tonight.

Also, that pic posted above is gold.

theseus51 10-03-2007 09:02 PM

Yeah, you can't donate directly to the official campaign if you aren't a US Citizen.

I'm not a part of it, but on the Ron Paul forums, we have a New Hampshire flyer fund-raising drive. It's separate from the official campaign:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=21847

Or you can go to ronpaul.meetup.com and find a city you like and donate to their campaign by contacting the organizer.

Scary_Tiger 10-03-2007 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a slacker and I just started reading the platforms for everyone today. I don't think there's much that I disagree with this guy on. I've never actually liked a single politician before and usually just ended up voting for the lesser of two evils, I honestly feel like supporting this guy though. I think I'm going to make the first donation, and buy the first political sign of my life tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard. Really. Be sure to make sure you can vote in your state primary, i.e. you're registered for the correct party if necessary.

Tornado69 10-03-2007 11:58 PM

Okay thx guys. We're rooting for him up here in Canada ;p

ConstantineX 10-04-2007 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of posters here will be very happy. It looks like he will have outraised everyone not in the top tier, easily beating Huckabee, Tancredo, Hunter etc. Im not a Paul supporter, but this is obviously very good for his campaign. They can use this to build a real organization on the ground in IA and NH. It will be interesting to see if he can translate this into success elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made my first ever political donation to him, so yeah, I think he's sparking something.

maxtower 10-04-2007 12:12 AM

You should email moveon.org while you're at it, and try to get them to plug Paul. Since he is the only anti-war candidate, I have been writing them trying to get them to throw some support his way.

An anti-war Dem would probably rather see Paul vs. any Dem than a normal Rep and the Dem of their choosing.

4 High 10-04-2007 01:36 AM

I dunno, most Anti-War Democrats are also very much for SS, Welfare, Rolling back bushes tax cuts for the rich etc. All of which Paul stands against.

Misfire 10-04-2007 01:48 AM

MoveOn isn't about the war, it's about promoting the Democratic party.

Chips Ahoy 10-04-2007 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MoveOn isn't about the war, it's about promoting the Democratic party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was about the importance of perjury in some civil case?

Or maybe they've moved on since then.

Bedreviter 10-04-2007 03:47 AM

MoveOn started as a response to the impeachment of Bill Clinton, criticizing the way tax-payers money was spent. Today they are clearly liberal, and function as an organizer to allocate funds for democratic candidates. The only people that are members of MoveOn that would support Ron Paul are those who joined solely because of the anti-war stand. Dont think that MoveOn and Ron Paul agree on anything besides the war-issue and the Patriot Act.

AlexM 10-04-2007 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MoveOn started as a response to the impeachment of Bill Clinton, criticizing the way tax-payers money was spent. Today they are clearly liberal, and function as an organizer to allocate funds for democratic candidates. The only people that are members of MoveOn that would support Ron Paul are those who joined solely because of the anti-war stand. Dont think that MoveOn and Ron Paul agree on anything besides the war-issue and the Patriot Act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Medicinal marijuana. There are plenty of others.

Bedreviter 10-04-2007 04:33 AM

Ok, maybe I should have said "big/important" issues. Ron Paul aims to lower takes, abolish IRS and federal income tax, he is against gun-control and is pro-life. Im pretty sure MoveOn have no interest in being affiliated with someone with these stands.

antisocialgrace 10-04-2007 06:17 AM

he intrigues me and right now is probably the only candidate in both parties I would vote for. as libertarian as he is he's the most authentic conservative in the race.

AlexM 10-04-2007 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, maybe I should have said "big/important" issues. Ron Paul aims to lower takes, abolish IRS and federal income tax, he is against gun-control and is pro-life. Im pretty sure MoveOn have no interest in being affiliated with someone with these stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm... what? You think the War on Drugs isn't a big/important issue? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

elwoodblues 10-04-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good news for Paul supporters. He's no long a third-tier candidate. More like a distant second-tier one [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Copernicus 10-04-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'll have decent enough funds to make his stand in NH. A good showing there gives him a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl. You must chase the idiot end of straights with a flushed board and unfavorable odds, too.

Bartman387 10-04-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl. You must chase the idiot end of straights with a flushed board and unfavorable odds, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're telling me there's a chance? I read ya.

TomCollins 10-04-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must chase the idiot end of straights with a flushed board.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the pot odds are right.

Bedreviter 10-04-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Uhm... what? You think the War on Drugs isn't a big/important issue? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a quick comment just to try to explein how radically different Ron Paul and MoveOn are, and I assumed that that was how people would understand the comment. I have to admit that I did not go through all of their positions on various issues, but I know how fundamentally different they are in their views on how to lead the country.

But good job, you found an issue where Ron Paul agree on. But surely you understood that the point off my post was to just clarify that the differences between MoveOn stands and Ron Paul stands are enormous? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

UlidEyes 10-04-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You must chase the idiot end of straights with a flushed board.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the pot odds are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

implied odds

kidpokeher 10-04-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't he do a funds transfer to a U.S. friend he trusts then have that person donate to Ron Paul?

ALawPoker 10-04-2007 06:50 PM

VERY favorable little tidbit just appeared on "Tucker" on MSNBC. They mentioned his $5 mil, and talked about how he only has $5.2 on hand and that he returns everything he doesn't spend or something (sort of missed that part).

Then they talked about him having enough of an impact that he might be a spoiler in Iowa, and Tucker referred to him as "the real thing" and said he admired him.

I used to think Tucker Carlson was a dickbag when he was on Crossfire, but I've been watching him recently and I think he is maybe the most palatable cable news person out there. His show focuses more on the "politics of politics" than on the knee-jerky stuff. I'll try to dig up the youtube clip later, if it appears. Nothing too special, but this is the second day in a row Tucker talked about him. And that's pretty cool.

theseus51 10-04-2007 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't he do a funds transfer to a U.S. friend he trusts then have that person donate to Ron Paul?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, see that's like illegal too. I guess you won't get in trouble if you don't get caught, but then again that goes for everything illegal.

iron81 10-04-2007 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. You are not allowed to donate money to a campaign if you got the money from someone. If you are a foreign citizen, you may not donate to US campaigns, period.

About the Tucker Carlson piece, I think that kind of the thing is the #1 reason minor candidates need to raise money: credibility. You're not going to be taken seriously if they think you have no shot and they're not going to think you have a shot without money. Any money Paul raises is worth double in free media exposure as a result.

AlexM 10-04-2007 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. You are not allowed to donate money to a campaign if you got the money from someone. If you are a foreign citizen, you may not donate to US campaigns, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are China and the US campaign is Bill Clinton's. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

4 High 10-04-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
VERY favorable little tidbit just appeared on "Tucker" on MSNBC. They mentioned his $5 mil, and talked about how he only has $5.2 on hand and that he returns everything he doesn't spend or something (sort of missed that part).

Then they talked about him having enough of an impact that he might be a spoiler in Iowa, and Tucker referred to him as "the real thing" and said he admired him.

I used to think Tucker Carlson was a dickbag when he was on Crossfire, but I've been watching him recently and I think he is maybe the most palatable cable news person out there. His show focuses more on the "politics of politics" than on the knee-jerky stuff. I'll try to dig up the youtube clip later, if it appears. Nothing too special, but this is the second day in a row Tucker talked about him. And that's pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea hes still a little too conservative for me as far as the issues, but i like his show better then most.