Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Wolfram's "Starting Strength" Log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514993)

Wolfram 10-03-2007 06:17 PM

Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

My old log was to sprawled and the name sucked so I condensed it into this one. Here's the old one: Link
I use metric plates at my gym but convert the numbers to lbs in the log.

Stats/History:

32 year old male. 6'3", 220lbs. I was really overweight (286lbs) until around 27 yo. I Started playing tons of squash and eating more healthy. I quickly dropped down to 194lbs. Later I added basketball to my schedule and did light but sporadic strength training. The past 2 years I've gained weight again due to more time spent at work and playing poker. I decided to fix that last summer and began working out more regularly. Then I found this site in the fall and switched to "Starting Strenght".

Goals:

Increase strength, lose 10-20lbs of non-lean mass, look good nekkid, reap benefits on squash court.

Log:

<font color="#0000ff">9/29</font>

Squat: 3x5x135
Bench: 1x5x110, 1x3x135, 2x5x120
Deads: 1x5x135, 1x5x175
Pullups: 1x8x110, 2x8x88 (assisted)

First workout goes well, lots of experimenting with weight. I can go pretty deep on squats (almost ass-to-grass) and weight seems fine. After workout I don't feel tired so I add pullups but get told this is probably not smart. Exercises should get harder once I get familiar with them.

<font color="#0000ff">10/1</font>

Squat: 2x5x135, 1x3x135
Press: 1x5x88, 2x5x77
Pen.Row: 2x5x110

Squats are much harder this time around, with form breaking down, failure in the last set and some minor spraining of the groin (old injury). I take advice to cut back on most of the weight for the first 2-3 weeks while learning good form.

<font color="#0000ff">10/3</font>

Squat: 3x5x88
Bench: 3x5x99
Deads: 1x5x176

I played some basketball yesterday and legs are pretty stiff from that and mondays session. Thankfully I don't think I injured my groin, even though it's kinda tender when I stretch it. I cut a lot of squat weight, they require some effort but form is mostly good and I can finish them all with not much difficulty. I cut back on weight for the bench as well to leave some room for ramping later.

After the workout I played 4 games of squash. My legs are really stiff and tired and the groin is tender. I'm going to take a break tomorrow, do fridays session, rest over the weekend and then reevaluate on monday. I hope I'll manage to recover decently because I really want to do the full program every day.

Wolfram 10-07-2007 10:41 AM

Re: Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

Press: 3x5x66
Pen.Row: 3x5x110

Cut back a little on the press to leave room for ramping. I'm a little unsure on the form cause my chin gets in the way of the bar when I push it up from my cheset. I'm supposed to tilt my head back to make room for the bar, right?

theblackkeys 10-08-2007 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cut back a little on the press to leave room for ramping. I'm a little unsure on the form cause my chin gets in the way of the bar when I push it up from my cheset. I'm supposed to tilt my head back to make room for the bar, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah pretty much.

EricW 10-08-2007 01:06 AM

wolfram,

congrats on the weight loss! There's no doubt in my mind that your new goals will be met!

Northern 10-08-2007 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to properly do the press the bar must go striaght and not be moved forward or back during the lift. Grip the bar a little wider than shoulder width and push elbows forward. Press above your head and keep body straight and head tilted back slighty to avoid hitting the nose. Once its above your head you then psuh your body under the bar.

Don't worry about coming too close to the bar, I didnt learn until I actually made contact and then I NEVER made the same mistake.

Wolfram 10-09-2007 08:55 AM

<font color="#0000ff">10/8</font>

Legs feel much better now than last week. I plan to start adding weight to the bar next week and I'm really looking forward to that.

J.Brown 10-09-2007 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#0000ff">10/8</font>

Legs feel much better now than last week. I plan to start adding weight to the bar next week and I'm really looking forward to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfram,

nice work, keep it up. glad your legs are feeling better.

are these weights in kgs or lbs.?

later. J.

Wolfram 10-09-2007 11:15 AM

lol, this is lbs (I wish it was kg). I'm basically a weakling.

J.Brown 10-09-2007 01:04 PM

no you are not a weakling. i think people in a gym only look up the mountain at all the strong people and forget about the huge % of people out there who couldn't load a bar with a weight plate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

anyone who is in the gym regularly isn't a weakling or probably won't stay being one for long.

do you have 2# plates or something? i was just curious because of the odd amounts for your lifts!?

later. J.

Wolfram 10-09-2007 01:37 PM

Oh, the plates are in kg, I just convert 'em to lbs for convenience, since most posters here seem to use lbs.

Wolfram 10-14-2007 06:29 PM

<font color="#0000ff">10/11</font>

Pen.Rows: 3x5x110

<font color="#0000ff">10/14</font>

I had some bad fish for lunch on wednesday which resulted in frequent trips to the toilet. I felt dehydrated and had stomach cramps so I decided to postpone the workout one day.

Then on saturday I was hung over and didn't feel like hauling ass to the gym before it closed.

So now I have a small dilemma. My partner can't make it on tuesday and thursday, so I need to either do the whole week solo or skip a rest day to get in synch.

I tweaked my lower back a little when I was doing the deadlifts. There was a felt a small sting when I was lowering the weight on the last rep and it's a bit sore tonight but nothing bad. I was also going to start ramping the weight this week, so a days rest is probably a good idea but I'll probably just say [censored] it and work out tomorrow regardless.

Btw, I got a nice little boost today as I was working out. A woman that's a regular at my gym (she's a lifter) commented on how she had noticed I was getting more cut in the last couple of months [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Wolfram 10-17-2007 10:13 AM

<font color="#0000ff">10/16</font>

Squat: 3x5x99
Mil.Press: 3x5x72
Pen.Rows: 1x5x116

My partner was able to switch up his schedule so I got in a days rest on Monday which was good 'cause my lower back was a little sore. I took some anti-inflammatory meds (Voltaren Rapid) and it felt much better.

The workout went great, I had no problem with the increased weight and can't wait to add more.

Wolfram 10-19-2007 05:35 AM

<font color="#0000ff">10/18</font>

Squat: 3x5x110
Bench: 3x5x105
Deads: 1x5x198

My buddy hurt his forearm doing military presses in a f-ed up way (I wasn't there) so I am spotter-less for a while.
The soreness in my left groin has returned. I hope it won't be a problem. It's usually fine the day after.

I'm adding 2.5kg (5.5lbs) on the light exercises, 5kg (11lbs) on the squat and 10kg (22lbs) on the deadlift. Deadlifting 100kg next week will be fun. First time I'll lift a triple digit number (in kg's)

theblackkeys 10-19-2007 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The soreness in my left groin has returned. I hope it won't be a problem. It's usually fine the day after.

[/ QUOTE ]
Consider taking some time off of leg exercises (bent over rows, deadlift, squat). I hear that's a muscle that doesn't recover well.

Wolfram 10-22-2007 05:41 AM

<font color="#0000ff">10/20</font>

Squat: 3x5x121
Mil.Press: 3x5x77
Pen.Row: 1x5x121

The weight is starting to get challenging now. I find that when I start struggling with the squat I have a tendency to shift my weight from my heels to my toes to finish the lift. It's like I have more power on my toes or maybe I'm shifting the weight of the bar forward to employ the back more, I dunno.

And finally the dam broke. I injured my lower back during the pendlay rows. The weight was pretty heavy and I might have rounded my back during one of the reps or something. I'll probably have to cut out exercises involving the back for a while (deads and rows, not sure if I should cut out squats).

How long can I expect to be out for with a bad back like this? I'm gonna pop anti-inflammation meds like candy but should I add physical therapy as well?

theblackkeys 10-22-2007 06:07 AM

Don't be afraid to take time off. I know you have a lot of motivation right now, and it sucks to get sidelined, but if you plan on weightlifting for a reasonably long time you should expect injuries along the way. You might be able to work through some injuries but I think anything major like lower back should be approached with more caution. Take a week off and see how you feel. We will bump your thread and make you feel shame if you abandon your workout program entirely.

Also, what exactly hurts your back?

Wolfram 10-22-2007 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be afraid to take time off. I know you have a lot of motivation right now, and it sucks to get sidelined, but if you plan on weightlifting for a reasonably long time you should expect injuries along the way. You might be able to work through some injuries but I think anything major like lower back should be approached with more caution. Take a week off and see how you feel. We will bump your thread and make you feel shame if you abandon your workout program entirely.

Also, what exactly hurts your back?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just stood up from my desk now and tried bending over at the waist and that hurt. After a few tries it didn't hurt as much. I did some air squats and they didn't hurt until at the very bottom when the back starts rounding off a little bit. It gets pretty stiff after I sit for a while.

You think I should stop working out completely? I was planning to do bench presses tonight, see if I could do any squats (doubtful) and then do some auxiliaries like pullups or curls.

Northern 10-22-2007 10:06 AM

Hopefully you just tweaked something and in a few days your back should be better. Sounds like your form was off and caused this problem, maybe lifting with your lower back. Your row is really high in comparison to you other lifts, perhaps this is a sign that your form is not perfect. In the off time study the lift, watch as many videos as you can, in another log I posted a link with some good videos.

Your squat has really improved in the last couple of weeks. You improved so much you have probably stalled. I would keep the weight steady and concentrate on form for another week or until you can manage the lift without leaning. Or if you need to deload and attack the plateau.

bwana devil 10-22-2007 10:38 AM

wolf, im in the same boat w/ an injured lowered back. i suspect i did it doing squats. i go pretty low on my squats but two days ago i squated waaaay down (w/ slightly less than i usually do). by the end of my workout i could feel my back tensing up.

yesterday i had a lot of problems doing daily physical activities. unfortunately i was working outside w/ a powerwasher which required a lot of bending and lifting. i popped a vicoden to get through the day.

the workout i injured myself doing i intentionally went heavy on to make up because i missed the day before. now working hard as a makeup is going to cost me more time away from the gym due to my injury.

to those who know, assuming i injured my back doing squats was more likely the result of too much weight or poor form?

shemp 10-22-2007 11:51 AM

bwana, I'm confused by in the beginning you say you did less in order to go deeper, and later you said you went particularly heavy.

In any case, form is obv important, and bad form a potential source of injury. If you want to change the way you are squatting, better to dial it way back and advance slowly then to try this new style at a heavy weight. It is conceivable that you developed a butt wink trying to get greater depth-- but that is kind of a shot in the dark.

I also think: Don't worry so much about missing workouts. There's no competition you are getting prepped for, right? It's health for life and you plan to be around a while, right? Get healthy first and, you won't be taking a huge step backwards. Consider it an inexpensive reminder of your mortality.

cbloom 10-22-2007 12:20 PM

Yeah, don't be afraid to take time off or just go really light. Stick to the program! That means if you can't do your 5 reps with good form (eg. hips do NOT curl under when you squat low) - then stick with lighter weight until you can get your form up. Don't just keep raising the weight until "it's hard enough" if your form is no good!

If you're injured, now is a good chance to take some time off and stretch so that you have the flexibility to do the move safely.

Wolfram 10-22-2007 12:27 PM

This is what I think happened:

-On 10/14 I tweaked my back doing rushed deadlifts.
-On friday night I didn't sleep in my bed and the matress was bad so I was sore when I woke up
-The rows are probably too heavy because I didn't decrease the initial weight as much as the other exercises
-I used bad form to complete the rows and voila, injury.

It feels pretty bad now. Especially when I get up from the chair and walk around (I can't stand fully straight for a while until it warms up). I'm gonna take a week off lifting (barring some miracle recovery), eat a ton of meds and I've got an appointment with a physical therapist set up for tomorrow and thursday if needed.

bwana devil 10-22-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bwana, I'm confused by in the beginning you say you did less in order to go deeper, and later you said you went particularly heavy.

In any case, form is obv important, and bad form a potential source of injury. If you want to change the way you are squatting, better to dial it way back and advance slowly then to try this new style at a heavy weight. It is conceivable that you developed a butt wink trying to get greater depth-- but that is kind of a shot in the dark.

I also think: Don't worry so much about missing workouts. There's no competition you are getting prepped for, right? It's health for life and you plan to be around a while, right? Get healthy first and, you won't be taking a huge step backwards. Consider it an inexpensive reminder of your mortality.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooops. not the best choice of words. im on the Starting Strength bandwagon and did more than just the three exercises that day because it had been three days since my last workout instead of two. the weight i used stayed the same.

and yes, good point that one major reason im working out is to feel good. injuring myself is certainly counterproductive to that goal. ill slow it down and be the tortise.

wolf, sorry for the hijack to your log.

theblackkeys 10-22-2007 06:22 PM

I believe Rippetoe recommends doing the last workout with the same weights if you have missed less than 4 workouts.

Also, Wolfram, I missed several months, am not back to 100% even, but am still going at it.

Wolfram 10-31-2007 08:03 AM

Alright, it's been over a week since I injured my lower back. I've seen a physical therapist twice and I'm starting to feel a little better, so I decided to work out yesterday.

<font color="#0000ff">10/30</font>

Squat: 1x5x88, 1x3x110, 1x5x88
I warmed up with some airs, then the bar and I kept adding weight. On the 110 attempt I started feeling some pain in my right knee which I've never had before, so I pulled it back down to 88 for the last set. No real pain in the lower back though, but I took extra care not to round it at the bottom of the movement. That cost me some depth though.

Bench: 3x5x110, 1x5x116
These were fun and pretty effortless. I'm gonna do 3 sets of 116 next time.

Pullups: 1x8 @ 10 plate assistance
I hate not being able to do these at bodyweight. I can maybe pull off one. Should I just keep trying and trying until I can add the second one and then keep going? If I was 20lbs lighter I could probably do 3-4.

I was really nervous doing deadlifts because of my back problem, so I just used really light barbells at first and was ver concious of my form. I kept a hammer lock on my natural spine arch and made sure my abs were tight throughout the motion.

I finished off with 1x5x110. I topped it off with some power cleans and full cleans just to test out that motion.

My back felt fine and I considered going up to full weight but thought better off it cause I figured the adrenaline and warmness of the muscles were masking the pain a bit. Today I'm really glad because my back is pretty sore, although nowhere near the way it was when I injured it.

Progress report:
I've lost no weight (still at 221). That's probably because I haven't been doing enough cardio in between weight days and I have been eating around 3k cals a day. Body-fat is down about 1%. I can see marked improvement in the shoulders, traps and lats and I am definitely getting stronger.

The bad thing is that my pants still don't fit well. I'm gonna be more stringent with the cardio and decrease the cals to 2500 and see how that works out. I want to get rid of that gut.

Northern 10-31-2007 10:47 AM

It's great that you start with, airs, then the bar before you add weight. It helps to warm up the body espceially since the squat is your first movement. If your not able to go low try opening your stance more jsut make sure your kness follow the same direction. A back injury can definelty result from improper from rounding of the lower back. Keep it tight, nack off in the weight if necessary.

With your pull-ups, your getting there. I would continue to do my sets assisted until I was able to do them unassisted. Try to complete a couple of reps before your set, everytime it will become a littel easier.

If your struggling from a back injury I would be careful on the DL's. As you said concentrate extra on from and keeping it tight.

I would worry less with the scale. Day to day it changes, I can lose/gain 5lbs in a day depending on what I did. You said your seeing noticeable changes, you body composition is changing, focus less on the scale and more on the mirror.

Wolfram 10-31-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would worry less with the scale. Day to day it changes, I can lose/gain 5lbs in a day depending on what I did. You said your seeing noticeable changes, you body composition is changing, focus less on the scale and more on the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm mostly focusing on the belt right now, and the mirror. I'm wearing 38" pants that were kinda loose on me 2 years ago. Right now I'm keeping the top button undone while I'm sitting. Most of the improvement is only visible in my upper body (shoulders and pecs), while I still have my spare tire.

A big part of the problem is that I used to be really overweight which has left me with very loose skin around my midsection. Even when I got down to 185lbs I still had a gut overhanging my belt, which was mostly skin I guess. I've often wondered if I should have a tummy tuck or not.

bwana devil 10-31-2007 11:04 AM

i would be very careful about your back. going from an injury, to physical therapy and back to the gym in one week seems really fast. even if it feels ok in day-to-day activites i'd give it another week to heal or you may just reinjure yourself.

Northern 10-31-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm mostly focusing on the belt right now, and the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. My point is not to be the average person and become focused on the number of the scale. Weight changes a lot and fast, it;s good that your looking at the mirror as a refernece.

It may be hard but give it time. I'm sure you know theres no such thing as spot reduction. Overtime your weight loss/composition will balance out.

No idea about the tummy tuck , sorry

Wolfram 11-02-2007 11:57 AM

bwana,
Physical therapist says that lifting is good for me as long as I only do it at 50-75% weight, and then increase that range as I get better.

Did my second post-injury workout yesterday. Didn't feel as sore afterwards or today, so I guess I'm gonna continue at this pace.

<font color="#0000ff">10/16</font>

Mil.Press: 1x5x72, 1x5x88, 2x5x72
Pen.Rows: 1x5x72

Additional:
0.5 Pullup, 1x1x110 clean and press, some back exercises (prescribed by physical therapist)

God damn it, I keep going on my toes when I'm doing squats. It's like I can't fully keep my balance at the bottom of the movement if I stay on my heels (feels like I'll fall on my ass). Or maybe I'm stronger on my toes because of all the squash I played, I dunno. I probably need a trainer to help me fix that problem.

The second set of the press was intense, so in lieu of my back problems I scaled back.

I did the pendlay rows racked in the lowest position (bar heigh ~10" off the floor) to decrease the lower back strain. I was very concious off my form and had a hammer-lock on my natural spinal arch, plus I cut the weight in half.

Rootabager 11-02-2007 12:21 PM

Bring your hips back first on squats to get your weight back.

I use to have that problem when I first started squatting. Your just going to have to make a constant effort to work on form.

Wolfram 11-12-2007 06:41 AM

<font color="#0000ff">9. Nov</font>

Bench: 3x5x121
Deadlift: 1x3x220

Additional:
1 Pullup, a few failed powerclean attempts at 130

Squat-form is still giving me problems so I'm staying at this weight (which is pretty comfortable) until I figure it out.

Benchpress went great. I keep adding weight and it keeps going up with ease, which is pretty exiting for me cause pressing has always been my worst exercise (I have a 6'5" wingspan) and the cause of tons of gym envy.

And I am officialy the dumbest person alive. My back has been really feeling better lately so I decide to ramp it up on the deadlift. I do a lot of warmups with different weights and end up on 176. It's pretty easy and I can't feel anything in my back so I stupidly try to go for the 4 plates (my first time ever lifting 4 plates in any lift).

Bad idea. The main problem is that I try to control the descent of the bar to much and that tweaks my back again. So now I just added a month or so to my recovery. It's been a couple of days now and I am getting better but not as good as I was before the workout. Why do I have to be so [censored] dumb?

Beat: Pants that fit me a few months ago have gotten too tight around the thighs. I'm hoping it's mostly muscle but can't be really sure.

I'm seriously considering switching from bulking to cutting cause I hate feeling bloated and fat like this. I'm really not thin by any means but I've never had any muscle to speak of either so both options are tantalizing. To bad doing both at once is so difficult.

Wolfram 11-12-2007 06:53 PM

<font color="#0000ff">12. Nov</font>

Front Squat: 3x5x88
Mil.Press: 3x5x88
Pen.Rows: 3x3x88

Additional:
Pullups @ 4 plates: 2, 1.5, 1.5
Clean&amp;Press: 1x1x88, 1x1x110

The powerrack was in use so I used a bar from a bench and cleaned from the floor and then did front squats. I think my form might have been better than for the back squats, at least it was easier for me to stay on my heels. Maybe I should just stick to front squats?

I added the clean&amp;press at the end 'cause I love doing those. Should I not do that?

Back feels ok after the exercise. Just gotta be careful with the weight and I think I'll be fine.

theblackkeys 11-12-2007 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Additional:

The powerrack was in use so I used a bar from a bench and cleaned from the floor and then did front squats. I think my form might have been better than for the back squats, at least it was easier for me to stay on my heels. Maybe I should just stick to front squats?

I added the clean&amp;press at the end 'cause I love doing those. Should I not do that?

Back feels ok after the exercise. Just gotta be careful with the weight and I think I'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think front squats are quite a bit easier to stay upright and keep the lower back straight at the bottom. This prevents one from lifting with their back or leaning over too much as well. I would still work on back squats, just try to improve your form. Just do which ever one you feel like doing though. If you're getting hurt cuz of back squats but front squats don't, do front squats.

Thremp 11-12-2007 07:34 PM

I find squat variants (front/Zercher) easier to maintain proper form with since you find out v quickly when you don't.

Thremp 11-12-2007 07:38 PM

You should stop trying to change this program and just do it.

Wolfram 11-12-2007 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to my squats, my additional exercises or my diet?

shemp 11-12-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Additional:

[/ QUOTE ]

It is fine to sub fronts squats for back squats if the racks are occupied, but otherwise I agree with Thremp that you ought to stick with the program.

theblackkeys 11-12-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you have an injury, so it is right to adjust. I honestly think what happens is that we go into this program too quick. Many people are going from a totally deconditioned state to lifting heavy complex movements. That's a recipe for injury. Many people end up having to drop weight anyways and work on form (getting to full squat depth safely), so you might as well get it done in the beginning.

Thremp is just rar hardcore, so take that into account. Front squats are totally fine. The difference in the grand scheme is miniscule.

shemp 11-12-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you have an injury, so it is right to adjust. I honestly think what happens is that we go into this program too quick. Many people are going from a totally deconditioned state to lifting heavy complex movements. That's a recipe for injury. Many people end up having to drop weight anyways and work on form (getting to full squat depth safely), so you might as well get it done in the beginning.

Thremp is just rar hardcore, so take that into account. Front squats are totally fine. The difference in the grand scheme is miniscule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't see the contradiction between recommending one sticks to the program and one stepping backwards to focus on form and progressing with care.