Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Scotty Nguyen on WSOP last night (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514661)

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 10:30 AM

Scotty Nguyen on WSOP last night

I am not sure I have ever seen any poker player play as bad as Scotty did last night. There was no need to make the moves he tried to make last night. Play smart, get to the final table, get a good nights sleep and come back with an above average chip stack and tear everyone apart. I lost a lot of respect for Scottys game after watching him fall apart like that.

Fermion5 10-03-2007 10:42 AM

Re: Scotty Nguyen on WSOP last night

[ ] deserves its own thread
[x] spoiler alert
[ ] OP has new and exciting ideas

JMX 10-03-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ ] deserves its own thread
[x] spoiler alert
[ ] OP has played in the ME for 6 days in a row before

[/ QUOTE ]

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 10:57 AM

Fermons and JMX, is there a problem with me stating my opinion? You two seem to have an issue with my post. Are you disagreeing with what I said? Do you feel Scotty played those hands brilliantly and just got unlucky? Please share with the rest of us your Mensa level thought process.

quirkasaurus 10-03-2007 11:10 AM

i would agree that 6 days of poker would result
in some serious frazzled nerves...

having said that - - -

i don't think scottie appreciated his 3rd in chips position...
and went on tilt from winning those huge hands.

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 11:20 AM

quirkasaurus....I could not agree with you more regarding the 6 days of poker and having frazzled nerves. With that said, don't you think each player there, espcially Scotty who is a pro and would have an advisor or support group to help him strategize? "Scotty, listen, you are third in chips, lock it down for the night let everyone else battle, you can come back tomorrow with a full nights rest and tear these guys apaart". Would that not be the play here? But Scotty should know that already. He has battled through over 6000 players to get to where he is and to make such a horribly judgment in error is unforgiveable coming from a player of his stature. Any amateur it could be understood but a world class player like Scotty?

Kurn, son of Mogh 10-03-2007 11:25 AM

Scotty was actually dead right in his comments after busting. He criticized himself for getting too arrogant Good advice. Kenny Tran went out for the same reason.

ZingyDNA 10-03-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play smart, get to the final table, get a good nights sleep and come back with an above average chip stack and tear everyone apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by playing smart you mean sit out then you're prolly right taht scotty will get to the final table. Even if that happens there's no telling he'll "tear everyone apart" once he gets there. Hilm was the chip leader at the FT and busted out shortly.

Scotty somehow let Hilm tilt him while trying to stay aggressive, and the cards didn't go his way. That is all.

suzzer99 10-03-2007 12:00 PM

Remember it was the FT bubble, Hilm had a decent stack. He pretty much needed a set or top 2 to call there. It's against every fiber of a seasoned, aggressive pro to not try to abuse the FT bubble with a stack there.

selurah 10-03-2007 12:08 PM

[x] OP starts terrible threads

TheWorm967 10-03-2007 12:12 PM

Every poker player has these moments op. Unforgivable? who's forgiveness does he need? yours? come on, it's unfortunate but it happens all the time. I'm sure most here have had lots of chips late in a tourney and donked them all off. no big deal. scotty still owns.

W brad 10-03-2007 12:22 PM

Scotty Nyugen's chips won the WSOP!

He shipped them to Hilm on day 6, and Hilm shipped them to Yang on day 7.

Way to go Scotty!

DonkeyChip 10-03-2007 12:24 PM

It's better to be Scotty...than not to be.
NC

The B 10-03-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure I have ever seen any poker player play as bad as Scotty did last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever seen Scotty play? you lost alot of respect for a World Champion based on the "blow-up" hands ESPN showed lasy night...I respect your opinion, but please STFU jakartapimp

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 01:36 PM

LOL.....so "my respect" some how is dictated by others? Bwhahaha....TheB..without posts like mine you and your ilk would be sitting around spooning each other all day on this board. Amazing how an honest post leads to flaming. You are too much.

JustCuz 10-03-2007 02:29 PM

Scotty blew up, and he risked/lost all of his chips when he didn't have to. Everyone knows that including the most important person, Scotty himself.

I am not sure, however, that I agree with the comments about how Scotty should have sat on his chips and waited for the final table. Slow down? Sure! Don't take unnecessary risks? Absolutely. But call it a day? No. I think that even if you are a huge chip leader, you still have to play poker, not auto-fold and miss opportunities. I don't know if that's what some of the posters meant or not, but it's an important differentiation.

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 02:38 PM

Let me be as clear as the stage two HIV outbreak on TheB and his buddies face......My point was Scotty should never have done what he did. There was no need. None whatsoever. He made a horrible, horrible, move and it potentially cost him tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars over the coarse of his career (endorsements, speaking, books, etc). He did not need to stop playing poker...just tighten up a bit and prepare for the next day. Remember, they were at the final table bubble. One of the short stacks would be gone soon enough.

The B 10-03-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me be as clear as the stage two HIV outbreak on TheB and his buddies face......My point was Scotty should never have done what he did. There was no need. None whatsoever. He made a horrible, horrible, move and it potentially cost him

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks Capt. Obvious, lock thread

selurah 10-03-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me be as clear as the stage two HIV outbreak on TheB and his buddies face......My point was Scotty should never have done what he did. There was no need. None whatsoever. He made a horrible, horrible, move and it potentially cost him tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars over the coarse of his career (endorsements, speaking, books, etc). He did not need to stop playing poker...just tighten up a bit and prepare for the next day. Remember, they were at the final table bubble. One of the short stacks would be gone soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL you have got to be kidding me right? You must be an awful tournament player if your strategy is to just tighten up and coast on the Final Table bubble. You do realize that Greg Raymer basically won the 2004 main event before the final table even started by abusing the Final Table bubble right? Scotty made a bad move trying to accumulate chips and ran into a set. It happens, that tournaments.

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 04:04 PM

"Devils Advocate".....you are all right! Scotty did exactly what he should have done. It was a brilliant play. If it would have worked he would have coasted to victory with a dominating chips stack putting pressure on everyone else.....

"Reality"......Scotty busted out when he did not need to. Is that the best spot for him to get his chips in good? I know nothing...you all have multiple bracelets and tourney victories to your name and in fact teach classes on how to dominate tournaments. When can I sign up for one of your classes. I can see by reading your sylabus that Tournament Poker 101 "How to bust out on the final table bubble" is quickly filling up.

ligastar 10-03-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It took two not one bustout out to set the FT.

chicken10der 10-03-2007 04:32 PM

when i was reading the live updates for this year's main event, i was really disappointed to see scotty bust. i don't have a big problem with how he played, i was just really pulling for him to win it all bc it would've been great to see a pro actually win the damn thing and scotty is good for poker in general.

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well that changes everything.....lol

ligastar 10-03-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well that changes everything.....lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. It could mean the difference of another 2, 3, 4 hours of play. But Scotty wouldn't worry about that would he because he would just click "away from table" and call it a night and go to his hotel room, per your advise.

Jakartapimp 10-03-2007 05:01 PM

You are such a tard. Go back and read my posts. I never said Scotty should have bags his chips and gone to his room. I am having a battle of wits with some defenseless bafoons. I am done! Think whatever you want to think. All I was doing was making an observation. Isn't that what these boards are for. And for my observation I get flamed. I have better things to do with my time. Enjoy your next spooning session with your like minded friends.

Hollywade 10-03-2007 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[x] spoiler alert

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this a spoiler? The title tells you exactly what the thread is about. If you haven't watched it yet, don't read. Pretty simple.

Also, if you don't know by now where Scotty finished in the main event that ended in late July, where the hell have you been?

OnTheRize 10-03-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, what is the difference between Scotty placing 11th or 4th? Regardless of how huge a favorite he is, he's probally not going to finish first.

I mean, everyone know's he finished 11th. Can you tell me who finished 3rd off the top of your head? I cant, because i dont particularly care.

JMX 10-03-2007 10:55 PM

Professional poker players are humans; they make mistakes. Ok, so Scotty c/r all-in drawing dead, but did you ever think about how many brilliant plays Scotty made to get there?

Oh, and tightening up towards the cash/TV bubble is the last thing a pro would do. They always take advantage of it. The cash bubble was the main reason why Lee Watkinson got all those chips.

KSOT 10-03-2007 11:10 PM

Scotty Nguyen has a tendency to fold under pressure down the stretch. If you don't believe me, watch any of the WPT final tables he made.

Dima2000123 10-03-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, everyone know's he finished 11th. Can you tell me who finished 3rd off the top of your head? I cant, because i dont particularly care.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I remember who finished third, and not only that, but I also remember the hand that knocked the guy out. It's hard not to.

OnTheRize 10-03-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I remember who finished third, and not only that, but I also remember the hand that knocked the guy out. It's hard not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill ask you again in 2 years. Then I'll ask you what place Scotty Nguyen placed.

JustCuz 10-04-2007 12:26 AM

Who remembers what has nothing to do with poker. The important issue here is whether Scotty mismanaged his position. He did -- he said he did. Fame and glory is of no value here; what is of value is what we (and more importantly, Scotty) can learn from the situation.

It wasn't the cards or the field or the TV or anything else that made Scotty go broke; it was Scotty. The one variable in poker that is always the hardest to overcome is ourselves. This is something that I hope Scotty will work on because I really hope that he doesn't see this main event as his final failure, but rather as an opportunity to see where he can improve himself as a poker player. There's no shame whatsoever in finding faults in one's self -- in fact, being able to see those faults and improve upon them is probably the most respectable thing that a poker player can do. The least respectable thing is to believe that we're finished and that we've lost some once-in-a-lifetime chance that fate has given us to do something great. Scotty's a great player, and he can do it again. If you think this is impossible, just look back at how many people would have thought it was possible for Scotty to have made it as deep (and so impressively so) as he did this main event.

Bottom line: I'd never deny Scotty the respect he deserves until and unless he gives up on himself. This year was just another opportunity to find space for improvement.

Dan87 10-04-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who remembers what has nothing to do with poker. The important issue here is whether Scotty mismanaged his position. He did -- he said he did. Fame and glory is of no value here; what is of value is what we (and more importantly, Scotty) can learn from the situation.

It wasn't the cards or the field or the TV or anything else that made Scotty go broke; it was Scotty. The one variable in poker that is always the hardest to overcome is ourselves. This is something that I hope Scotty will work on because I really hope that he doesn't see this main event as his final failure, but rather as an opportunity to see where he can improve himself as a poker player. There's no shame whatsoever in finding faults in one's self -- in fact, being able to see those faults and improve upon them is probably the most respectable thing that a poker player can do. The least respectable thing is to believe that we're finished and that we've lost some once-in-a-lifetime chance that fate has given us to do something great. Scotty's a great player, and he can do it again. If you think this is impossible, just look back at how many people would have thought it was possible for Scotty to have made it as deep (and so impressively so) as he did this main event.

Bottom line: I'd never deny Scotty the respect he deserves until and unless he gives up on himself. This year was just another opportunity to find space for improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus...

Scotty has AQ Hilm has 55 flop Q5x
Scotty has flush draw and misses his 37?%

either of these 2 hands dont happen then all this talk of blowing up would be gone.

Conversely, if Lam hit his OESD or scotty didnt turn the set of 9s, he couldve been out earlier than 11th

There is so much short term variance in this stuff that sometimes I think people overanalyze key moments when really the cards have a lot more to do with it than people give credit for.

Ex. Matasow getting coldecked 2 years ago , then getting sucked out on, but since he had a huge stack and was a pro he blew up right?

JustCuz 10-04-2007 01:21 AM

AQ hand, okay...he had one pair. True, it's easy to judge now that the hand is over, but one pair? How many of your chips should you risk with one pair with Scotty's M vs Q?

"A flush draw" -- Call the hand what it was. What would you do with Scotty's starting hand preflop? Again...why risk all of you chips in this spot?

My God, I love the guy. He made bad mistakes. He knows it. Time to make something positive of it rather than turn those mistakes into excuses.

Hopscotch 10-04-2007 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AQ hand, okay...he had one pair. True, it's easy to judge now that the hand is over, but one pair? How many of your chips should you risk with one pair with Scotty's M vs Q?

"A flush draw" -- Call the hand what it was. What would you do with Scotty's starting hand preflop? Again...why risk all of you chips in this spot?

My God, I love the guy. He made bad mistakes. He knows it. Time to make something positive of it rather than turn those mistakes into excuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

lawl

okterrific 10-04-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure I have ever seen any poker player play as bad as Scotty did last night. There was no need to make the moves he tried to make last night. Play smart, get to the final table, get a good nights sleep and come back with an above average chip stack and tear everyone apart. I lost a lot of respect for Scottys game after watching him fall apart like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you are harsh. have you never played bad b4? Now sure Scotty didnt play good but no one plays good 100% of the time. Sure , Scotty should have recognized that people were playing massive pots with out big hands and he should have tightened his game up and play small pots. But for whatever reason he decided to go into bully mode. Guess what people make mistakes. get off his back.

[ QUOTE ]
I lost a lot of respect for Scottys game after watching him fall apart like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure Scotty's heartbroken to hear that some GFB has lost respect for him. el oh el. Look up his exit interview from pokernews.com and you might get some respect back.

Hotel Detect 10-04-2007 04:17 AM

I cannot believe I read through 4 pages of posts and no one has mentioned the one glaring mistake that Scotty made throughout his final day of play...

He didn't drink any beers!!! Wtf was he thinking?

21times20 10-04-2007 04:26 AM

why is no one mentioning scotty's blatant slowroll when hilm went all in with KQ against scotty's 99 on the 55T9 board?

KiwiMark 10-04-2007 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why is no one mentioning scotty's blatant slowroll when hilm went all in with KQ against scotty's 99 on the 55T9 board?

[/ QUOTE ].

You consider that a slowroll? I think that is being a tad too critical! Hilm bet and Scotty considered his position and the fact that he could get knocked out if he called and Hilm had him beat (Scotty did not have the nuts) - he called in not an unreasonable time and Hilm turned his cards over fairly quickly, Scotty then turned over his cards in short order.

Maybe slowroll means something different to what I'm thinking of?

21times20 10-04-2007 05:01 AM

he made a show about counting his chips as if that made any difference whatsoever, and frankly you are wrong, in a tournament, with those stack sizes and that action, 99 is in fact the nuts, the probability of scotty folding that hand is exactly 0%