Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Who would you take a bullet for? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514035)

ahnuld 10-02-2007 04:14 PM

Who would you take a bullet for?

Thats the title but to be more clear lets say you knew someone was going to die and you had the option of substituting your death for theirs. To make things less predictable lets say it cant be your kids or spouse since im sure so many people would.

Who is it? Why would you do it in particular?

TheJubilantMale 10-02-2007 04:25 PM

Re: Who would you take a bullet for?

no one. im pretty sure no one else would either.

who's yours?

goebbelboy 10-02-2007 04:30 PM

Yeah, nobody, wtf.

traz 10-02-2007 04:31 PM

I'd take a bullet for lots of people. At least that's what I think in my head. Whether I would or not in the moment is another story, but when I think about it logically I could see myself doing it for most of my good friends.

stabn 10-02-2007 04:32 PM

Not EDF material imo. But uhhh no one.

ahnuld 10-02-2007 04:33 PM

yeah, you guys really wouldnt take a bullet for anyone? I mean, there are so many people out there who are going to make humanity better off. Looking back though history might be easier to see, since its already known what those poeple went on to accomplish and now we can only speculate. I gotta run but ill post some examples later.

Kimbell175113 10-02-2007 04:34 PM

Any of my siblings, because they're like better versions of me who would be much more valuable to the world.

And maybe tuq.

shaniac 10-02-2007 04:37 PM

caliber?

Subfallen 10-02-2007 04:39 PM

Easy: Jon Stewart and Thom Yorke.

goebbelboy 10-02-2007 04:40 PM

You're right ahnuld, ship Kofi's bullet to my aorta pls.

stabn 10-02-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I mean, there are so many people out there who are going to make humanity better off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh well then sure. I will take a bullet for edfurlong. I don't want the robots taking over.

ahnuld 10-02-2007 05:18 PM

Muhammad Yunus

gumpzilla 10-02-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Muhammad Yunus

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just give him a [censored] ton of money instead? Or ask how you could help with his initiatives? It seems very strange to me to have these questions like "Would you die for this philanthropic stranger?" when we can address it in concrete, real world terms instead. Basically, I'm unconvinced that anybody who isn't already giving this guy like 15% minimum of their worldly goods is going to step up and get shot for him

goebbelboy 10-02-2007 05:32 PM

It would not sit well with my grandparents if I died for someone named Muhammad.

ahnuld 10-02-2007 05:32 PM

I dont feel a micro credit system based off of donations will work to solve anything. Its not a question of money, but will he accomplish more good in the world than me. For that man, I can safely say yes.

jackflashdrive 10-02-2007 05:33 PM

A better question might be "Is there a number of random people you don't know that you would die to save?" E.g., 100 random strangers somewhere throughout the world.

I'd be surprised if most people would substitute their life to save even a million random strangers.

ahnuld 10-02-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A better question might be "Is there a number of random people you don't know that you would die to save?" E.g., 100 random strangers somewhere throughout the world.

I'd be surprised if most people would substitute their life to save even a million random strangers.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would depress me very much. I think I would die for 10 random strangers, although I know people who would do it for 2.

gumpzilla 10-02-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel a micro credit system based off of donations will work to solve anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean that he has no use for his money. That's why I included option 2, ask how you can further his initiatives. You're willing to die for that guy, but not go work for him and further his goals that way?

Alternatively, maybe you mean you disagree with the fundamental efficacy of what he's trying to do, in which case . . .

[ QUOTE ]

Its not a question of money, but will he accomplish more good in the world than me. For that man, I can safely say yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

. . . makes no sense to me.

gumpzilla 10-02-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

that would depress me very much. I think I would die for 10 random strangers, although I know people who would do it for 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is the Mother Teresa lifestyle they have adopted? How are they pursuing their clearly singular humanitarian vision, since they have such an uncommon love for Man?

jackflashdrive 10-02-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can save some random person's life for, I believe, about a $250 donation (I can try to find the link if someone wants it). This means that whenever you purchase anything for $250 or more (regardless of how much you already give to charity), you are essentially condemning a person to death so that you can have a material good.

Have you ever purchased something that costs more than $2,500? You are not sitting on a new sofa, you're sitting on the bodies of 10 dead africans.

wiper 10-02-2007 06:01 PM

adyn, age 5.

only person in the world i'd die for, and not have a single second thought.

stabn 10-02-2007 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
adyn, age 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

"To make things less predictable lets say it cant be your kids or spouse since im sure so many people would."

miajag 10-02-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
adyn, age 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

"To make things less predictable lets say it cant be your kids or spouse since im sure so many people would."

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed ADYN was some sort of android he's been designing and constructing for the past five years.

TheMetetron 10-02-2007 06:35 PM

No one.

Pontuan21 10-02-2007 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any of my siblings, because they're like better versions of me who have children to take care of.

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn 10-02-2007 06:39 PM

Ok so basically 0 good answers so far.

suzzer99 10-02-2007 06:45 PM

My friend's daughter (who I help raise a little) - in a nanosecond. That's about it I think.

Keepitsimple 10-02-2007 06:47 PM

Probably noone. If I live to 75+ I might take one for a young future great.

ahnuld 10-02-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can save some random person's life for, I believe, about a $250 donation (I can try to find the link if someone wants it). This means that whenever you purchase anything for $250 or more (regardless of how much you already give to charity), you are essentially condemning a person to death so that you can have a material good.

Have you ever purchased something that costs more than $2,500? You are not sitting on a new sofa, you're sitting on the bodies of 10 dead africans.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I gainfully employ many people and improve countless lives from the trickle down effect.

ahnuld 10-02-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is the Mother Teresa lifestyle they have adopted? How are they pursuing their clearly singular humanitarian vision, since they have such an uncommon love for Man?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dedicating their life to palliative care research.

Go_Blue88 10-02-2007 07:32 PM

this is a dumb hypothetical question. you're asking people to answer this while they're hanging out behind their computer screens.

even some people who would supposedly obviously take a bullet for their spouses might not do so the moment before their death.

it's really easy to SAY you'll die for something or someone, but considering most ppl are terrified of death, who knows if they actually would. hence, the stupid hypothetical question.

gumpzilla 10-02-2007 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dedicating their life to palliative care research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they saving a lot of lives that way? It seems to me they could just go have themselves euthanized and donate organs and probably save 3-4 lives that way. Also, if you buying a plasma TV is on par with saving 10 Africans, isn't it horrendously selfish of you to get yourself killed to save 10 strangers when over the course of your life you could expect to save ~1000 with your purchases?

Essentially, my point is that this is a ridiculous question to be asking, because it's very easy to wax noble on it when, as phrased, it's very unlikely to ever be a question that we have to deal with. I think the actions of people who claim to be so overly altruistic generally reveal that what they state they think does not mesh with what they do.

I also think that a lot of people might try and perform heroic acts to save a relatively low number of lives if death is substantially likely but not guaranteed.

mikech 10-02-2007 07:46 PM

this thread is really dumb. it reminds me of the discussion after the asian tsunami about whether you'd give a limb (or your life, etc) in exchange for saving the lives of the tsunami victims. ppl who say yes are probly lying, and if they're not lying then they should be devoting much more of their actual time/effort/money to substantive humanitarian work.

ahnuld 10-02-2007 07:49 PM

ok, mods lock then. The intent was to get a discussion going on amazing people who you feel will soon go on to do great things, so maybe instead of going about that in a roundabout way I should have just posted that as everyone got sidetracked on the idea that I took for granted, aka self sacrifice for the greater good.

Yeti 10-02-2007 07:53 PM

One for me.

Anyway, the 'would you give your life to save a million random people' thread was good. It basically involved daryn arguing with everyone. Dig it out.

Locking.

daryn 10-02-2007 07:55 PM

haha ahnuld i guess you'd be really shocked by my answers to those hypothetical "how many people would you sacrifice yourself to save" questions. actually, i could swear i answered this one in OOT and someone was definitely shocked by it. was it you?

anyway, i wouldn't sacrifice myself to save 100 million people. any number above that and it starts getting interesting. i might have to do some calculations to see how likely it is that one of my closest family members eats it.

nice, i got in before the lock. someone dig that old thread up!

ED: Not in before lock, but I can still edit!!! I think the way this thread was posed led to a relatively crappy discussion. Having said that, I think a thread about who you care about in life enough to risk your life for might have a bit more potential.