Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   People who wear watches in the pool (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513514)

Yeti 10-01-2007 09:40 PM

People who wear watches in the pool

Who are these people? I don't get it.

I see quite a few people at the gym pool wearing nothing but swimming shorts and a watch. And I don't mean a digital sports watch that they're maybe using to time their laps, I'm talking nice stainless steel watches.

Why wouldn't you just take it off? Do they realise how stupid they look? It's a f'ing pool not a catwalk.

I bet some of you on this forum do it. You are probably gonna give the reply 'oh i just never take it off'. I don't take off my underwear either but I normally manage to before I enter the pool. I just don't understand why you'd want to expose a valuable watch to chlorine, steam and shampoo. Please enlighten me.

2/325Falcon 10-01-2007 09:43 PM

Re: People who wear watches in the pool

These guys probably just want to show off their balla dive watches.

UptownExpress 10-01-2007 09:44 PM

it's probably one of those special "waterproof" watches. relax.

4_2_it 10-01-2007 09:49 PM

I don't wear a watch to the gym. In most gyms that I have been in, I'd prefer not to leave an expensive watch in a locker so I guess wearing it to the pool is the bets option. Of course, I'd leave the watch at home, but that isn't an option if you go to the gym directly from work.

Claunchy 10-01-2007 09:49 PM

I wouldn't wear it if I were swimming laps because it'd probably get in the way. But if I'm just swimming recreationally I'll usually leave it on. It's waterproof; who cares?

fraserbrown 10-01-2007 09:51 PM

I have a dive watch that comes off before the pool, who needs one, the pool have a hudge [censored] clock on the wall.

goebbelboy 10-01-2007 09:52 PM

Wow, Britain must really suck in October.

Yeti 10-01-2007 09:56 PM

4_2_it, assume that the locker room is perfectly safe.

Claunchy, I own a wide variety of dress shirts that are totally fine after contact with water. Maybe I'll wear one in the pool next time. Who cares, right?

fraser - you sound like my kind of guy.

4_2_it 10-01-2007 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4_2_it, assume that the locker room is perfectly safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason to wear it to the pool then.

DING-DONG YO 10-01-2007 10:03 PM

Jesus H Christ. You have got to be the most tightly wound douche to notice that people do this and be annoyed by it AND be so annoyed by it that you feel the need to voice this annoyance to others.

kyleb 10-01-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus H Christ. You have got to be the most tightly wound douche to notice that people do this and be annoyed by it AND be so annoyed by it that you feel the need to voice this annoyance to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's british

2/325Falcon 10-01-2007 10:09 PM

I am not a sociologist, but it would seem that a large percentage of desirable women ain't messin' with no broke [censored]. This may be a factor.

killsadie 10-01-2007 10:10 PM

grade A gripe sir!!!!!!!! nice post OP!

Yeti 10-01-2007 10:12 PM

DING-DONG-YO,

I think you just got more wound up by my post than I have this entire year.

prohornblower 10-01-2007 10:46 PM

These guys probably just want to make sure everyone in the joint knows who the d-bag is.

Like the 1 guy who has to wear the Cowboy hat at the comedy club whenever I'm there Saturday night.

dukemagic 10-02-2007 12:02 AM

lol, i wear my watch pretty much every time i'm in the pool, which is like 3-4 times a week.

a) i never take it off (it's a $500 watch that, while fairly nice and stainless steel, isn't so nice that i'm anal about protecting it). i don't care about my watch getting beat up - i got a durable one meant to get beat up. mine goes through farrrrrrrr worse punishment in my everyday life than it does in the pool. in fact, i'd say it would last longer if i spent my whole life in the pool than if i took it off every time i went swimming.

b) i like to know what time it is. there's no clock in the pool area, just lap timers that i don't want to trust to be correct (there's no hours, just minutes)

c) it's a diving watch. pool water isn't going to hurt it.

skunkworks 10-02-2007 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DING-DONG-YO,

[/ QUOTE ]
The difference is that he didn't start a thread about it.

React1oN 10-02-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DING-DONG-YO,

[/ QUOTE ]
The difference is that he didn't start a thread about it.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, starting this thread is extremely nitty.

daryn 10-02-2007 12:09 AM

yeah.. i mean really.. why even start ANY thread really?

skunkworks 10-02-2007 12:11 AM

All I'm saying is that this sounds like a Dids OOT blog post. I'll let that speak for itself.

Yeti 10-02-2007 12:17 AM

Of course it's a little bit blog-like. It's basically me moaning about something not-so-important in a way designed to ruffle some feathers and provoke some replies. I hate to break it to you, but even though I find wearing a watch in the pool odd, I haven't been red in the face and itching to start the thread since I witnessed it.

So we have a light read that's probably better written than 90% of the stuff on here. Ugh, what an awful thread!

Glen Sasspug 10-02-2007 12:20 AM

keep the british humour in england, limey

Yeti 10-02-2007 12:21 AM

Who said anything about humour?

Jay. 10-02-2007 12:38 AM

make a rule already to stop posters complainning about threads.

if threads are bad they'll be off the front page in no time and this way everyone doesn't have to read through posts that add nothing.

kipin 10-02-2007 12:40 AM

I used to do this but then I realized that a watch tan line is really, really, lame so I just stopped wearing watches altogether.

In general I imagine that most people that do this just think it's easier to keep it on than worry about someone stealing it out of a locker.

kipin 10-02-2007 12:40 AM

Jay,

your post sucks.

NT! 10-02-2007 12:41 AM

[censored] you yeti, i wear my watch 24/7

have you ever seen diamonds in the chlorine bitch? [censored] is baller. [censored] yo couch [censored]

kevin017 10-02-2007 12:43 AM

I wear mine in the pool because i don't think to take it off. its probably ~150 bucks. funny enough, i got it because someone left it at the pool my brother worked at, on a table, and no one claimed it so i got it.

snagglepuss 10-02-2007 12:46 AM

i like swimming laps at the pool as it gives me an opportune chance to show off my diamond-encrusted ferrari edition gucci swimming goggles

any other time, and they just look ridiculous

kevin017 10-02-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to do this but then I realized that a watch tan line is really, really, lame so I just stopped wearing watches altogether.

In general I imagine that most people that do this just think it's easier to keep it on than worry about someone stealing it out of a locker.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. and i also just stopped wearing my watch altogether because of the nasty looking tan-line it leaves. who needs a watch when we have cell phones.

Duke 10-02-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. and i also just stopped wearing my watch altogether because of the nasty looking tan-line it leaves. who needs a watch when we have cell phones.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Yeti's next post.

Tomfoolery 10-02-2007 01:08 AM

People like to time their swimming exercise, buddy

Captain Koons 10-02-2007 02:07 AM

Hello, little man. Boy, I sure heard a bunch about you. See, I was a good friend of your dad's. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together over five years. Hopefully...you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your Dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Major Coolidge would be talkin' right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I'm talkin' to you, Butch. I got somethin' for you.

This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches. It was bought by private Doughboy Erine Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. It was your great-grandfather's war watch and he wore it everyday he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the watch off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed 'til your granddad Dane Coolidge was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. Your great-grandfather gave this watch to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed -- along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leavin' that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he'd never seen in the flesh, his gold watch. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's gold watch. This watch.

This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, that watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

headturner1 10-02-2007 03:11 AM

LOL!

Victor 10-02-2007 04:21 AM

in general, ppl who wear watches suck. wearing a watch to swim, other than a sport watch for training, means you suck way more.

Assani Fisher 10-02-2007 07:02 AM

I actually don't ever wear a watch EXCEPT for when I go swimming.

Yeti 10-02-2007 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But they will happily put their car keys in the locker? Heh.

Daddy Warbucks 10-02-2007 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it's a little bit blog-like. It's basically me moaning about something not-so-important in a way designed to ruffle some feathers and provoke some replies. I hate to break it to you, but even though I find wearing a watch in the pool odd, I haven't been red in the face and itching to start the thread since I witnessed it.

So we have a light read that's probably better written than 90% of the stuff on here. Ugh, what an awful thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

This whole post is VERY douchey.

DING-DONG YO 10-02-2007 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's british

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, sorry Yeti, I was a little harsh. I guess my real question is how you can be more annoyed by people wearing watches than all the pasty white english people in speedos? yuck.

Yeti 10-02-2007 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OK, sorry Yeti, I was a little harsh. I guess my real question is how you can be more annoyed by people wearing watches than all the pasty white english people in speedos? yuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

One day I will write a long blog post about everything at the pool that annoys me. I'm sure you will all enjoy it.

Pasty white people don't really bother me as I am one of them myself. People who look like they have spent half their month on the sunbed do however. And fat people. As for speedos, basically everyone wears swimming shorts these days.