Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   5/10 - Full Ring - PokerStars - Beatable? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513384)

RED_RAIN 10-01-2007 07:02 PM

5/10 - Full Ring - PokerStars - Beatable?

Anyone have a significant amount of hands beating this game for even 1.5 BB/100? I stopped playing here for a few months and recently went back and seems the games are no different than they were even starting a year ago. I just question that the game is beatable for 1.5 BB/100, maybe yes >0 but for not much.

Allday Everyday 10-01-2007 10:43 PM

Re: 5/10 - Full Ring - PokerStars - Beatable?

Think I played about 100K hands there at 5/10FR and 10/20FR over a few months about 3 months ago. I left just before I got to Supernova.

I did a bit better than breakeven because I suck at poker. The vast majority of players stunk worse than me but because it's LHE, and because rake was taken out, I didn't make much before bonuses. I think a very good player could make a big bet every hundred.

Given that Stars players aren't any better than elsewhere, and that Stars has lowest rake structure on the internet (though I haven't looked at this closely), if 5-10 at Stars isn't beatable, then what 5-10 online game could possibly be? 5-10 is tough as you still get raked up the pooper just like microstakes.

As a side note, ADED for Supernova Elite in 2008!

Niediam 10-02-2007 12:04 AM

I don't know if any full ring limit games where Americans can play can be beat for 1.5bb/100 past the micros...

James. 10-02-2007 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if any full ring limit games where Americans can play can be beat for 1.5bb/100 past the micros...

[/ QUOTE ]

i've stuck with fulltilt since i was forced to quit playing party. for that reason i can't comment on pokerstars, but i am curious.

the sad thing is, i don't even like to play the "full" 6max tables anymore. i try to hop on a HU or 3 handed table most the time. they seem to consistently yield(on average) the most exploitable players. the games often break quickly, but they are usually a result of one of the fish busting out so it's worth it while it's going.

HoneyBadger 10-02-2007 09:02 AM

I made 0.5BB/100 there for a while. It's always the same bunch of people, and they're all good.

Rico Suave 10-02-2007 09:28 AM

I have 80K hands at stars 3/6 at around 1.3BB/100 or so. I can't speak directly about the 5/10, but a lot of the 3/6 regs play that game as well. And from my little observation, the game doesn't appear to play a ton differently than the 3/6. I plan on playing it this month.

I do note that there does not seem to be a lot of regulars crushing the games. Of all the regulars that I recall (don't have my db here) only JC-TheGuide is beating the games soundly over a decent sample (several thousand hands--so,still small) and his showdown numbers are like 35/62, so he is probably just running really hot over that sample.

I do feel there are enough fish and tagfish around so that the game is still beatable despite the tightness and the rake, but I don't imagine that 2.0BB/100 would be highly likely for even a very good player. I am mediocre at best, and I am just happy being right of zero.

--Rico

Bob T. 10-02-2007 12:39 PM

I have over 100,000 in my current database, and I am just a bit short of 1.5. Safely above 1 though.

RED_RAIN 10-02-2007 07:49 PM

Always wondered if JC-TheGuide is a 2+2er. He plays non stop for a million tables. Personally I feel find playing with him in a hand. I do consider him one of the better players.

Now if only I knew who Bob T was on there.

HoneyBadger 10-02-2007 08:48 PM

cubfan is pretty solid (did you ever play me, bob? You should know...)

Bob T. 10-03-2007 04:48 AM

Yeah, it seems like we played some 3-6 back in january.

HoneyBadger 10-03-2007 05:00 AM

Oh, I see now. We never really played a hand though. Oh well.

Bob T. 10-03-2007 05:06 AM

Yeah, I've played a lot of hands with JC, and I don't think he is a 2+2er. I think his game is a little more passive than the typical 2+2er, but I could be wrong. He is pretty solid, so I don't mess around much in his pots, so if I am playing with him, I probably have some real values. I think we have a kind of uneasy truce. After some initial battles a while back, I don't think either of us, pays the other one off very often. I know I've abused that a little bit, and I suspect that he does too.

Anyway, there was one funny hand a couple of weeks ago. There is a limpfest, and someone raises, so it is 6 ways for two bets, and the flop comes 974 or something like that. I have sevens.

Anyway, JC bets the flop, it comes around to me, and I raise, and then he threebets. Anyway, when the field saw the two of us going to war on the flop, they all scurried out of the pot, like cockroaches in sunlight. After I got done laughing at that, I thought about the hand, and decided that it had to be set over set, and just went into calldown mode.

I remeber that he did have a set, and I don't remember being dissapointed that I didn't get more value out of the hand, so I think he did have the 9s, or whatever top set was.

Henry17 10-03-2007 05:20 AM

Is it normal for it to take almost 5 minutes to pull up your ring stats on PokerTracker?

370k hands and over 1.5. Not as good as Party where before the exodus of US players I was at 2.42 but Stars is still beatable. Full Tilt I have 7008 hands total so can't comment.

HoneyBadger 10-03-2007 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it normal for it to take almost 5 minutes to pull up your ring stats on PokerTracker?

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you convert to postgresql? Access database will be slow for that many hands.

RED_RAIN 10-03-2007 05:39 AM

What time frame are those hands from? I would be interested Oct 2006 and on. Back in the day like 2003-2006 I think the game could be beat for a heck of a lot more.

Bluffoon 10-03-2007 09:05 AM

I doubt if this game is beatable long term for 1.5bb +, not for me anyway, but I find it to be worthwhile playing.

Game selection is critical.

JC is not so tough. You just have to figure his read on you and play off that. Cubsfan is tougher.

Rico Suave 10-03-2007 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JC is not so tough. You just have to figure his read on you and play off that

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I doubt he is 2+2 based on his preflop play and blind defense numbers. Don't get me wrong, he is good/solid etc, but there are others that cause me more problems.

[ QUOTE ]
Game selection is critical

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. And even seat selection is pretty critical imo, at least for my style. When there is only one or 2 loose, bad, laggy, etc, type players at a table, having them on my right dramatically increases my edge (unless of course that player is "theironpoker", in which case he will automatically take all of my monies..as I have said before [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ); while having them on my left puts me in a lot of crappy spots and my suckiness shines through. I will switch pretty often if I don't like my seat even at a good table.

--Rico

Bob T. 10-03-2007 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep. And even seat selection is pretty critical imo, at least for my style. When there is only one or 2 loose, bad, laggy, etc, type players at a table, having them on my right dramatically increases my edge ... while having them on my left puts me in a lot of crappy spots and my suckiness shines through. I will switch pretty often if I don't like my seat even at a good table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. A crappy seat in a great game, is still a crappy seat.

KitCloudkicker 10-03-2007 10:05 AM

hmm, the popularity and content of this thread makes me think that I was wrong about us not needing a stars/ft regs thread

zach383z 10-03-2007 04:12 PM

not to hijack guys, but i have been out of the whole LHE scene for a couple years. I took about 1.5yrs off from online, then just got back and was focusing on NL. Well I just started playing some 2/4 again and am curious where the juicy 2/4 fr games have gone, I am playing on PS and there is barely 5 games at a time...

DosXX 10-03-2007 04:16 PM

I've seen JC do some funny things against me, like 3-bet a flop c/r with overcards. But normally, I feel like we have an uneasy truce as well.

AKHobbes 10-04-2007 04:42 PM

i just started playing 3/6... it seems a lot juicer than 2/4... it seem slike the 2/4 action has dried up and every one went down to 1/2...for the wcoop bonus whoring i guess?

Master Macavity 10-04-2007 07:01 PM

I played 2/4 thru 5/10 FR from January - August, and I never made more than 1.4BB/100 per month, with a couple of losing months in there. I'd call myself the biggest donk of all the regulars so I'm sure > 1.5 is possible.

RED_RAIN 11-04-2007 11:40 PM

Does anyone run better than **SHARK** ?