Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Suggestion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513186)

fnord_too 10-01-2007 02:20 PM

Suggestion

Apologies for a forum related thread. I don't come here to read this stuff either.

First, I am assuming the software allows one to ban someone from posting on a forum by forum basis.

It seems to me that a lot of people get accounts banned for being trolls or sucking in general in a particular forum. I think a better tact for people like that is to ban them from that specific forum rather than banning them from all. Certainly, there are some offenses that merit account or IP ban immediately (e.g. posting really offensive inline pics), I don't think trolling or being a bit of a jerk is one.

It just seems that a policy to kick someone off all the forums because they say cannot control themselves when they get into an argument in politics is a bit extreme and counter productive. Also, it is impossible to be consistent with fuzzy guidelines.

On the other hand, viewing the forums as fiefdoms under the auspices of the mods of that forum seems fine. If they (the mods) want to boot you from their domain, or restrict your ability to start threads for offenses that are hard to objectively quantify, so be it. I am not suggesting that someone be allowed to troll and troll until they run out of forums, but rather that account bans should be for universally accepted banable offenses (i.e. things outlined in the site's terms and conditions) or for repeat offenders across multiple forums of the fuzzier or (sub) forum specific rules.

On a sub forum level, I think the ban stick should be used with reckless abandon.

tuq 10-01-2007 02:30 PM

Re: Suggestion

fnord,

Generally speaking that's not a bad idea. However, the current software doesn't allow for exiling posters from anywhere but OOT. Thus it would require an entire forum's mods to coordinate who is not welcome etc.

While I can think of at least one non-OOT exile (Nielso from Politics) I also want to point out that it's actually pretty hard to get kicked out of the forums. A much easier solution is to play nice and not repeatedly break the rules.

fnord_too 10-01-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fnord,

Generally speaking that's not a bad idea. However, the current software doesn't allow for exiling posters from anywhere but OOT. Thus it would require an entire forum's mods to coordinate who is not welcome etc.

While I can think of at least one non-OOT exile (Nielso from Politics) I also want to point out that it's actually pretty hard to get kicked out of the forums. A much easier solution is to play nice and not repeatedly break the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I thought you could just ban people from any forum. Bah, one post to kill my whole premise, thanks tuq!

I agree that it is better not to be an idiot, or to practice avoidance if you cannot control yourself in certain venues, but we are talking about people here.

metsandfinsfan 10-01-2007 05:42 PM

wtf tuq you usually make like 14 joke posts but on this one because of who the topic is about you answer seriously right away?

stabn 10-01-2007 05:44 PM

free istewart.

tuq 10-01-2007 06:00 PM

metsandfins,

I made that post before I went to POG and put together that BobO was who he was referring to. Once in awhile I give serious answers. I've been as thoughtful as I know how in handling that thread, but it's clear that no matter how clearly it's explained MEbenhoe is going to be pure evil to some people, and durron a vile traitor unwilling to stick up for his own. Internet drama el oh el.

All, in case you weren't aware, BobOjedaFan has been permabanned.

nath 10-01-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
metsandfins,

I made that post before I went to POG and put together that BobO was who he was referring to. Once in awhile I give serious answers. I've been as thoughtful as I know how in handling that thread, but it's clear that no matter how clearly it's explained MEbenhoe is going to be pure evil to some people, and durron a vile traitor unwilling to stick up for his own. Internet drama el oh el.

[/ QUOTE ]
Free Barabbas

miajag 10-01-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
free istewart.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft, imo

metsandfinsfan 10-01-2007 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
metsandfins,

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq: you have been candid and honest and i appreciate that. I am not even mad at mebenhoe either. I am a little disappointed in durron's reaction though. And i am disappointed in bobo for acting like a child after the ban which i agree rules out any chance of an overturning at this point

and i am disappointed in you for being the first answer in atf without it being a level -- it's just not you

stabn 10-01-2007 06:29 PM

BobO was terrible anyway.

tuq 10-01-2007 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i am disappointed in you for being the first answer in atf without it being a level -- it's just not you

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, sorry about that. I was in serious mode because that very thing had been discussed in the POG thread and I couldn't shake the mood. I didn't know fnord was a POGger until after the fact. Here is a joke that I heard recently:

Q: what has seven arms and sucks?

A: <font color="white">Def Leppard</font>

fnord_too 10-01-2007 07:24 PM

The suggestion is independant of bobo (though that did get me thinking about it). I think it would be pretty sweet if mods could just kick people out of their forum. There would be less need to wory about building a big case or worrying about whether they contribute elsewhere on the boards, just axe 'em. Also, it mitigates personal biases since the damage is localized. Everyone wins (except mike haven, who would get lots more whiney threads in here, but then he could kick people out of his forum for excessive whining).

Maybe when the software is upgraded in 2020...

RoundGuy 10-01-2007 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q: what has seven arms and sucks?

A: <font color="white">Def Leppard</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Tub, you suck at math. Def Leppard has 9 arms. They are also the greatest 80's rock band of all time. You suck at both math and Rock.

tuq 10-01-2007 10:35 PM

RoundGay,

Your mom sucks. Literally LDO. Plus it's after 9:30 your time so someone fell asleep on their watch.

RoundGuy 10-01-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your mom sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have absolutely no idea how true that statement is.

I believe you have the authority to ban me for the requisite 8-minutes. GO!

tuq 10-01-2007 10:44 PM

RoundGay,

We're not supposed to ban out of forum and I'd ask you to go post something lame in the Lounge or Golf so I could give you your nightly banning but I have to actually go play poker now (LOL) so don't bother. We'll just censure whoever was asleep at the wheel tonight. Probably iron.

RoundGuy 10-01-2007 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RoundGay,

We're not supposed to ban out of forum and I'd ask you to go post something lame in the Lounge or Golf so I could give you your nightly banning but I have to actually go play poker now (LOL) so don't bother. We'll just censure whoever was asleep at the wheel tonight. Probably iron.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, *TT* banned me for two minutes. I was right in the middle of a post, and it said banned for 2 hours 22 minutes. I'm glad he changed his mind.

I need to be careful what I ask for. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Ok, going to bed. Ban away.

*TT* 10-01-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
RoundGay,

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, *TT* banned me for two minutes. I was right in the middle of a post, and it said banned for 2 hours 22 minutes. I'm glad he changed his mind.

I need to be careful what I ask for. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Ok, going to bed. Ban away.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 8PM in Vegas, my turn for the nightly ban [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wetdog 10-02-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus it's after 9:30 your time so someone fell asleep on their watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fell asleep on my watch once and had X3MIT on my forehead when I woke up.

metsandfinsfan 10-02-2007 11:36 PM

tuq someone just pwned you pretty good in the pog bobo thread ..

just sayin

tuq 10-03-2007 01:01 AM

metsandfins,

No, I wasn't "pwned" by that response.

In retrospect I have no idea why I wasted time trying to explain it all to some of you. Probably because I thought that MEbenhoe and durron were taking heat for no good reason.

There is a pretty huge difference between my lame attempts at jokes in the thread brought up and BobOjedaFan pissing basically everyone off in a heavily-trafficked forum for over a year. Plus it's just a lame attempt at a counterargument ("oh he thinks BobO is a bad poster, let's examine some of his posts!!!") that reeks of cliquishness by a poster who after quick examination only posts in POG. It's not nor was ever about me nor was it personal, it was about BobOjedaFan's inability to post without inciting a near-riot in the Sports forum.

But it's unsurprising that some POGger decided to attack me personally. After all it had already happened to both MEbenhoe and durron. People who, in my limited online experience, only want the best for their forums. In short, you people who stick up for BobO well beyond reason should be ashamed of yourselves, and I'm not joking.

metsandfinsfan 10-03-2007 02:02 AM

tuq: i think like i said most poggers havent seen the posts that are worthy of a ban. and personally, i dont have a problem with your posts or bobo's posts.
Maybe i realize that bobo is a moron and wasnt trying to incite a riot. he was trying to be funny .. and usually failing at it .. miserably
you were obv joking too .. but your posts are not much different then the supposed racist posts bobo made in the thread that eventually got him banned

and i didnt see anyone attack mebenhoe
durron .. yes people did ... because they have met him and met bobo so the real life thing makes it sticky

and if you are honestly getting upset im sorry for pointing the post out. Just wanted to see your reaction to it and maybe see where people were coming from.

Anyway, i am done with it and sorry for bringing it up again .. and you honestly did say the most rational thing in that whole thread

and i wont bring it up in this thread or that thread again

Mike Haven 10-03-2007 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq: i think like i said most poggers havent seen the posts that are worthy of a ban. and personally, i dont have a problem with your posts or bobo's posts.
Maybe i realize that bobo is a moron and wasnt trying to incite a riot. he was trying to be funny .. and usually failing at it .. miserably
you were obv joking too .. but your posts are not much different then the supposed racist posts bobo made in the thread that eventually got him banned

durron .. yes people did ... because they have met him and met bobo so the real life thing makes it sticky

and if you are honestly getting upset im sorry for pointing the post out. Just wanted to see your reaction to it and maybe see where people were coming from.

Anyway, i am done with it and sorry for bringing it up again .. and you honestly did say the most rational thing in that whole thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Link, please?

CallMeIshmael 10-03-2007 07:18 AM

guys,

can we get back to freeing istewart?

metsandfinsfan 10-03-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link, please?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0&amp;fpart=1

durron597 10-03-2007 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you honestly feel i am happy with how this ended up working out?

metsandfinsfan 10-03-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you honestly feel i am happy with how this ended up working out?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK i really am trying to be done with this.

in answer to your question, "do you honestly feel i am happy with how this ended up working out?" ---
probably not. But you didnt defend publicly defend him, and quoted a bunch of posts that were absolutely positively NOT banworthy at all and it was obvious you thought they were. At least that is the public perception.

You probably should have explained to bobo that a permaban may not be permanent if he behaves and it is decided to shorten the ban. Instead, bobo acted like a moran and waited less than 24 hours for a response from ryan (and i havent gotten a read receipt from the pm i sent ryan for bobo on saturday either fwiw) and circumvented the ban which i agree was ultimately his downfall and his own fault and ruined any reasonable chance of reinstatement.

Durron, you were in a tough spot i agree. Maybe you should have explained to him that "permaban" may not have been permanent and that if he behaved there was wiggle room.

In the big scheme of things, it's not really a big deal. A lot of us just disagreed with it, that is all

stabn 10-03-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys,

can we get back to freeing istewart?

[/ QUOTE ]

qft, imo.

metsandfinsfan 10-03-2007 12:01 PM

free istewart

CallMeIshmael 10-03-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from the usual disclaimers about not judging posters by a few posts, and a forum by a thread, POG does not come off well in this thread.

Specifically, Neil S... which is so close in name to a much more rocking poster!

tuq 10-03-2007 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but your posts are not much different then the supposed racist posts bobo made in the thread that eventually got him banned

[/ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post12298052

In that post I just linked to, you write "again i dont know what he says in that thread". Now you're writing like you know what he wrote there. Unlikely. I just looked at that thread and the time between the thread's inception until it was moved and locked was less than two hours. You never posted in that thread so I'm more inclined to believe that you never saw it, as you initially stated.

This is what I mean re: character attack. First you say you never saw the offensive posts, then you say that those posts "were not much different" than what I wrote. You know what? Maybe they weren't, I dunno. The point is not that his posts were ban-worthy in and of themselves, it's that they were the final straw. And I can sustain an unreasonable personal attack because I don't take the internet as seriously as I used to.

I get POG's interest in closing rank around one of their own, that shows what a strong community has developed and is almost always a good thing for this site. But this is getting ridiculous. Just wash your hands of the guy and hope he does better next time.

And yes, freeing istewart is clearly more important than anything BobO has or likely will ever contribute.

traz 10-03-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from the usual disclaimers about not judging posters by a few posts, and a forum by a thread, POG does not come off well in this thread.

Specifically, Neil S... which is so close in name to a much more rocking poster!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't judge POG by that thread please. I was pretty sure it would come up at least a little bit, and that's why I tried to make sure it was clear in thread that we didn't revere bobo as some POG hero.

Also, on the issue of Durron, it's not his job or responsibility to defend Bobo. Blaming Durron in anyway is terrible.

I have nothing else to say on the issue though. Some opinions on the matter are laughable and on the whole it's become a riduclous debate and there's no reason to keep talking about it.

metsandfinsfan 10-03-2007 01:06 PM

nobody personally attacked you in that thread tuq. People were just pointed out what they felt was a double standard.

i admittedly didnt see exactly what he wrote in that particular thread, but he told me over aim and i tend to believe him (yes you might think im crazy but i do"). And i did see most of the nonsense he posted in Sports, and found his comments as harmless as yours. Retarted - yes, stupid - yes, but harmless. And not banworthy. that's all i was saying

and i hope he does do better next time, assuming people play dumb. But he is a stubborn SOB so even i am not confident in this.

anyway tuq, you are good peoples, come to pog and play a game one day

FREE HAT
http://www.southparkstudios.com/img/...eason6/609.gif

fnord_too 10-03-2007 01:57 PM

while we may never come to consensus on bobo or istewart, I think we can all agree that my idea rocks and the suggested functionality should be a part of the next software migration, which should give us at least a week or two to play around before we revert back to the current software.

traz 10-03-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while we may never come to consensus on bobo or istewart, I think we can all agree that my idea rocks and the suggested functionality should be a part of the next software migration, which should give us at least a week or two to play around before we revert back to the current software.

[/ QUOTE ]

please stop trying to derail the thread