Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New Radiohead album - Pay what you think is fair?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512850)

Full-Metall 10-01-2007 01:23 AM

New Radiohead album - Pay what you think is fair??

The CD is called In Rainbows and will be released on Oct. 10th. You can preorder the album download right now off this site where they give you the option of how much you're willing to pay for the album. Whether it be nothing or $20 - it doesn't matter. Pretty interesting, just thought I'd post it.

"While the disc box is priced at £40 and includes the digital download, the price when purchasing just the download by itself is set by the buyer (plus a transaction fee of 45 pence). On purchase, the buyer is prompted to type the desired price, with the text "It's up to you" as an explanation."

wiki
digg entry

note: apparently the download only includes CD1 of the 2 disc box-set.

pepper123 10-01-2007 01:28 AM

Re: New Radiohead album - Pay what you think is fair??

Wish I could hear it then decide. As is I'll probably just pre-order at $0 and then pay after I decide how much I like it.

Also, the box set is £40/$80

jjshabado 10-01-2007 01:29 AM

[censored] Awesome. I'll be sending them some money even though I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan.

pokergrader 10-01-2007 01:30 AM

Baller.

pepper123 10-01-2007 01:34 AM

it's funny, when i was looking at this earlier i was all set to put in 0, but then i felt bad and wished i could put a note explaining that i was planning to pay after i heard it. totally silly but i'd be curious to see how many people feel that way.

eviljeff 10-01-2007 01:35 AM

it's a bold strategy, Cotton. let's see if it pays off for them.

jjshabado 10-01-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's funny, when i was looking at this earlier i was all set to put in 0, but then i felt bad and wished i could put a note explaining that i was planning to pay after i heard it. totally silly but i'd be curious to see how many people feel that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same. I was thinking I'd download it for 0 then come back and give somewhere between 10-30. Maybe I'll put in 10 the first time then give more if I like it.

I would like a note so I could explain though.

NickMPK 10-01-2007 01:38 AM

I'm confused....can you just buy the CD? I don't like buying download-only music, but I really have no use for LPs.

Alobar 10-01-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] Awesome. I'll be sending them some money even though I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, same

Even if this was for some [censored] band like nickelback I'd go DL it and give them some money, just so hopefully its a success

jfish 10-01-2007 01:40 AM

really great idea obviously, but i 100% believe theyll make a killing on this album precisely bc of this.

kyleb 10-01-2007 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
really great idea obviously, but i 100% believe theyll make a killing on this album precisely bc of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for them, then.

pokergrader 10-01-2007 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can already imagine the pissing matches between my indie music friends over who paid the most money for this album.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-01-2007 04:28 AM

game theory for the win. 1 cent bid coming from my direction.

rwesty 10-01-2007 04:35 AM

The page is too much of a hassle can someone just link to the torrent?

10-01-2007 09:04 AM

This is awesome.

They've hinted doing something like this for a while but actually letting you decide what YOU pay lol... I definitely didn't expect that.

Of course I'll buy the discbox/double album no matter what (ordering it as I'm writing this) but the download idea is a great one.

SNOWBALL 10-01-2007 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahah

pepper123 10-01-2007 10:37 AM

it looks like it's gone now??

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

glad i hopped on it

gumpzilla 10-01-2007 01:22 PM

This is really, really cool, as others have noted. I wish there were some intermediate option, as I don't really have any use for the vinyl LPs or art that comes with the box set, but I'd be very interested in hearing that second CD. I'm very excited about the album itself as well as the distribution method, so I think I'll probably go ahead and order the download for next week.

Claunchy 10-01-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

glad i hopped on it

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, it's still there. I don't even know what the going exchange rate is so I have no idea how much to put.

That Foreign Guy 10-01-2007 01:47 PM

Very good plan.

I would wager they make more than they would have with a normal pricing plan.

gumpzilla 10-01-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

glad i hopped on it

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, it's still there. I don't even know what the going exchange rate is so I have no idea how much to put.

[/ QUOTE ]

Google is your friend on this one, but 2 dollars to a pound can't be very far wrong.

kyleb 10-01-2007 01:51 PM

The site is so slow righ tnow.

jaffa 10-01-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm confused....can you just buy the CD? I don't like buying download-only music, but I really have no use for LPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're planning a normal cd release of it next year. They're in talks with some record companies at the moment i think.

Peter Harris 10-01-2007 03:48 PM

Meh, I'll buy the box set since i love them, and that comes with a download so i won't have to wait till december.

Since they don't have a label or A&R to pay off, i guess it's win-win for them.

Tryptamean 10-01-2007 04:26 PM

I think they will not make as much money in on-line sales as they could by setting a reasonable price.

I don't think this will significantly affect their CD sales.

I base those statements on absolutely nothing.

PS, <3 radiohead

nath 10-01-2007 04:59 PM

So excited about this

And just when people were starting to forget how important Radiohead is

Eric Draven 10-01-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same. I was thinking I'd download it for 0 then come back and give somewhere between 10-30. Maybe I'll put in 10 the first time then give more if I like it.

I would like a note so I could explain though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so ridiculous... I was thinking the same thing! I would feel so guilty not putting anything at all the first time...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, same

Even if this was for some [censored] band like nickelback I'd go DL it and give them some money, just so hopefully its a success

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. This is a wonderful concept that will hopefully become the norm at some point in the future. I think we can all pretty much agree that the current business model is failing.

How much are you guys planing on paying? I'm thinking somewhere around 50 cents (American) a song (I think it's fair for a talented band doing something as bold as this, although I'm not even a real fan of said band).

gusmahler 10-01-2007 05:42 PM

* Will it be MP3 or some protected format?

* The site is incredibly slow and I'd imagine it will actually be a lot slower on release day.

NozeCandy 10-01-2007 05:45 PM

Is there a track listing so we know how many songs there are? I'll probably throw down like $10-15 for the download and buy the box set anyway when it comes out. I trust them more than any other band to have a quality product, so why not?

Edit: Has anyone else been unable to get the site to accept payment? I've had to reenter the code at the bottom and check the terms and conditions box like 20 times and it still gives me internal errors.

jjshabado 10-01-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Turns out you're irrational. You can bid 0.

Freakin 10-01-2007 08:12 PM

There's a coffee shop by my house that is a "pay what you think is fair" shop...

0evg0 10-01-2007 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's a bold strategy, Cotton. let's see if it pays off for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

w_alloy 10-01-2007 11:54 PM

Freaking fabulous!

Radiohead is in a better position to pull this off than any other band in the world.

Also, I bet they end up making more than they would if this was only a traditional release with a label.

React1oN 10-02-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a coffee shop by my house that is a "pay what you think is fair" shop...

[/ QUOTE ]Where do you live?

Bedreviter 10-03-2007 12:27 AM

If its as good as most of their earlier albums the fair price would easily be more than 100$, so I think Im not willing to pay what I think is fair [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

vabogee 10-03-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
* Will it be MP3 or some protected format?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope...DRM-free...:D

deacsoft 10-03-2007 12:47 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Radiohead.

chim17 10-03-2007 12:52 AM

I hate radiohead but will buy this just because this concept is so awesome and would be sweet if it got more popular.

vabogee 10-03-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate radiohead but will buy this just because this concept is so awesome and would be sweet if it got more popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? that seems very excessive...do you always pay people on the sole basis of their good, forward-thinking ideas?

fartman77 10-03-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Radiohead! Preying on people's conscience since Oct 10, 2007!