Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Spechel EDD nudes >1000 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=510975)

Ryan Beal 09-27-2007 11:50 PM

Spechel EDD nudes >1000

Chuck traced the performance issues we were having earlier to that thread. That's also why you're now seeing >1000.

tuq 09-28-2007 12:05 AM

Re: Spechel EDD nudes >1000

Sorry but that is hilarious. Oddly enough he's carrying on in an ATF thread about the >1000 thing so maybe that is why.

Ryan Beal 09-28-2007 12:09 AM

Yeah, the only thing I'm amused by is that AtF thread.

2+2 was unusable for hours because of this. The >1000 thing was implemented by Chuck to discourage future problems.

tuq 09-28-2007 12:13 AM

Ryan,

Honestly, I thought this whole thing was some kind of software glitch, so it's kind of funny to find out it is deliberate. Most active threads eclipse 1000 views pretty easily it seems, but I am not technical enough to understand why a bunch of people viewing a particular thread would crash the site as a whole.

">1000" seems about as useless as that column itself. If there is a way to just do away with it I wish you would. Who cares how many views a thread has? Just seems weird to me.

Ryan Beal 09-28-2007 12:20 AM

For it to be that bad I'm guessing someone was running a script to up the count. Chuck picked that thread out of the log and blocked the IP that was primarily responsible.

But yeah, we may as well get rid of that info if it stays capped at 1000. We'll see what happens.

tuq 09-28-2007 12:32 AM

Ryan,

"someone was running a script to up the count."

I wish that "someone" was outed and banned, that is ridiculous. They probably wouldn't have done it had they known it would semi-crash 2+2 for several of its busiest hours but that's still something that seems borderline DOS. Now I wonder if EDD's investment in this lame argument is because he knew about that. Pretty likely actually, in which case he should be banned.

citanul 09-28-2007 12:41 AM

and the person responsible wasn't Edd?

Dynasty 09-28-2007 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2+2 was unusable for hours because of this. The >1000 thing was implemented by Chuck to discourage future problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bad overreaction. This is a problem which occured once(?) in the ten year history of the forum.

Chump Change 09-28-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and the person responsible wasn't Edd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has it already been deduced the IP doesn't match EDD?

Fwiw, this is the PM he sent me:

Dude I had nothing to do with that. Nothing. All I'm responsible for is creating that thread and originally titling it "fluffpop nudes" and putting "viewcounts ++" as the post content. I thought that it was funny and thats all I did.

I just saw the thread take off with 2k views in 5 minutes and the first thing that I can think of was that some poster whos familiar with creating scripts made one to refresh that page for hits.

It doesn't really surprise me that people would look at me for this problem since I was the one who basically said what was happening. I have never ever done anything detrimental to the forums and I have no plan on doing any of it in the future. I'm willing to even put my integrity and word on this.

If any of the mods or admins want to speak to me or want me to provide them with details please tell them to do so at any time. Tell them that I have had zero gimmicks on these forums and have stuck around with this account since I have started posting here regularly. The only other account that I have had on here was one that I registered with and forgot the login details soon after. It was something like NK2004 or whatever. You can even feel free to copy and paste this PM in any discussion they're having.

I'm not too familiar with technical computer stuff but I'm more than sure that they can contact their providers and find out who has been querying their system over 100k times in one day and from what IP's. I really doubt whomever made that script bothered to use a proxy to mask themselves.

-EDD

Ryan Beal 09-28-2007 03:01 AM

So how did he find out this discussion was taking place? No matter how private we've tried to keep it, I assume mod forum stuff will get out sooner than later... just not immediately.

Chump Change 09-28-2007 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how did he find out this discussion was taking place? No matter how private we've tried to keep it, I assume mod forum stuff will get out sooner than later... just not immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's one of my actual friends on 2p2, and I asked him as a friend. He's very intelligent so he easily and correctly deduced we were having a mod discussion about the situation.

Fwiw, I take the whole secrecy of the mod forum idea very seriously. Perhaps even too seriously seeing as i'm a noob mod.

P.S. Mulling it over, I see how just broaching the subject with him could be an inadvertent leak of mod forum information, so I might've commited a faux-pas. My apologies.

citanul 09-28-2007 08:53 AM

CC,

I don't see anything wrong with asking Edd "yo, bro, did you make that thread go nuts?"

And I can't imagine a person so stupid they wouldn't deduce that the mods were both talking about the fact that that thread [censored] the site, and wouldn't assume that Edd was a "suspect."

Ryan Beal 09-28-2007 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
talking about the fact that that thread [censored] the site

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the info that wasn't out there. That could still be private until I finished running IP checks if I hadn't posted here early.

citanul 09-28-2007 08:59 AM

Ryan,

Eh, I can see that maybe that was private, but Edd and other were sitting there in front of their computers, watching the number go up rapidly, then the site crashed, then when it came back the thread was way different or gone or whatever.

But yes, I can see how that would be bad to get out, I just can't see how someone who is smart and was watcing the thread go nuts wouldn't correlate that to the site crashing. If CC told Edd that, eh, slap him on the wrist, which I think we've already successfully seen happen in this thread, and he's learned his lesson.

Ryan Beal 09-28-2007 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edd and other were sitting there in front of their computers, watching the number go up rapidly, then the site crashed, then when it came back the thread was way different or gone or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread remained for several hours after the site was working again. Chuck had already done his thing by the time I moved it here. But point taken... I think my issue was more with people finding out what we know early on when something like this comes up.

Ryan Beal 09-28-2007 09:47 AM

The poster using that IP during the problems has been identified and banned:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...php?User=82362

Dids 09-28-2007 10:14 AM

I think everybody had a suspicion that thread was the problem.

FWIW, the thread originally said "fluffpop nudes" and then in an attempt to curb the growing post count (before it was obviously automated) it changed it to "Dids nutes". That had no affect. Edd objected so I turned it to his nudes, he liked that.

citanul 09-28-2007 10:24 AM

Dids,

Fwiw, I think that the proper response (unless you're just not really a computers guy so didn't know this would likely cause a problem) would have been to just trash the thread.

c

iron81 09-28-2007 10:58 AM

Too bad about NU Star, he was generally pretty harmless (no, I'm not saying he shouldn't be banned).

If this ever happens in the future, would deleting the thread solve the problem?

Dids 09-28-2007 11:41 AM

Cit,

Once it got going and it was obviously a script, I did consider trashing it. However, since at the time the forums were still working, I didn't. In retrospect... yeah.

Gildwulf 09-28-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf nustar??

wow did not see that coming

tuq 09-28-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf nustar??

wow did not see that coming

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah really. He seems (seemed) like a pretty good poster from what I've seen (saw), although we don't (didn't) cross paths much. It's just more proof that BBV4L somehow manages to make good posters do really stupid things.

Ryan Beal 09-29-2007 12:11 PM

If anyone should notice this happening again with some other thread, please take immediate action. I'd much rather see posts removed than kill features.