Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Top Chef Finale Part 1 Ep Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=510569)

Dids 09-27-2007 10:51 AM

Top Chef Finale Part 1 Ep Thread

Thoughts:

- Eric Ripert looks like an X-Men bad guy, not a real person.

- At this point I would pay money for the unedited judges tables, because what they're chopped down to just doesn't give us enough info. I feel like they really glossed over what didn't work in Brian's dish, which was likely just the bad decision to braise lean meat for a short peroid of time.

- I enjoy that the the gimmicky quickfire became totally meaningless. Also, after this season, why the [censored] is anybody ever surprised when they're asked to cook at a random time. Are there lots of balloon rides that we don't see that don't end in cooking challenges.

- They're keeping three because of the high level of talent this year? Really? I feel like common sense and the chef's own blogs contradict this. I think it's more that by keeping 3 people, you don't hand somebody a win if the other guy [censored] the dog. You're actaully asking soembody to excell and try to win, rather than just be safe.

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 10:58 AM

Re: Top Chef Finale Part 1 Ep Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts:

- Eric Ripert looks like an X-Men bad guy, not a real person.

- At this point I would pay money for the unedited judges tables, because what they're chopped down to just doesn't give us enough info. I feel like they really glossed over what didn't work in Brian's dish, which was likely just the bad decision to braise lean meat for a short peroid of time.

- I enjoy that the the gimmicky quickfire became totally meaningless. Also, after this season, why the [censored] is anybody ever surprised when they're asked to cook at a random time. Are there lots of balloon rides that we don't see that don't end in cooking challenges.

- They're keeping three because of the high level of talent this year? Really? I feel like common sense and the chef's own blogs contradict this. I think it's more that by keeping 3 people, you don't hand somebody a win if the other guy [censored] the dog. You're actaully asking soembody to excell and try to win, rather than just be safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I think Eric Ripert has the potential to be the new Lebron. Start the trend Dids.

http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/food...ripert_320.jpg

2. Next time someone on Top Chef decides to make a duo dish or a dessert, I'm going to hunt them down and kill them. Do they not watch previous seasons? Do they not get how these things turn out?

3. Yeah the quickfire meaning nothing was pretty funny. I mean they're cooking elk, its not like she's going to say "Thank god, I brought my special elk glaze with me!"

4. I agree with what you say about keeping three. In addition, people like seeing the food, and 3 people is > 2, and it lets them draw out more tension at the final challenge, by going from 3 > 2 > 1.

ElSapo 09-27-2007 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping three = wider demographics. They now have a woman, a minority and a gay guy. Plus, this way there was no chance they'd have to eliminate Hung or Casey.

But wtf is up with the poll, asking viewers who they'd most like to see eliminated -- Hung?!

[censored] like this makes me realize how different most people think.

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 11:21 AM

Also, if Brian added another adjective to his Honky Tonk Whiskey River Drunken Elk, I was going to change the channel.

TwoOuter 09-27-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But wtf is up with the poll, asking viewers who they'd most like to see eliminated -- Hung?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Given how they've edited Hung this doesn't surprise me. And in fact he may be the most arrogant and unpleasantly competitive person on the show (we'll never know for sure, but that's how he's being portrayed).

While I agree with some comments from last week's thread about how they've softened their coverage of Hung, they still seem to highlight his bad points.

1. Dale's "no heart" comments.

2. Hung not helping Brian when he finished early.

3. No one helping him plate his food on one episode.

4. Casey's half-hearted comments about helping him serve on the plane ("He asked, so of course I helped him...")

5. Dale, Casey and Brian sharing hugs and what seemed like genuine affection when they arrived at the airport, then Hung wandering up alone like a stranger later ("Uh, it's been a while").

6. Hung's continual hyperdrive mode in the kitchen. Latest example when he spilled something on the floor in the breakfast challenge which Casey later slips on.

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 11:47 AM

People criticizing Hung for not helping out are stupid.

Sure if its a team challenge or something, but they are in direct competition for $100K.

You don't see people on Jeopardy leaning over and whispering to their opponents "Pssst. What is Scientology."

TwoOuter 09-27-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People criticizing Hung for not helping out are stupid.

Sure if its a team challenge or something, but they are in direct competition for $100K.

You don't see people on Jeopardy leaning over and whispering to their opponents "Pssst. What is Scientology."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Good points. It's interesting that with all the footage they shoot that they'd choose such unflattering moments. And with the exception of the Joey and Howie, I can't recall anyone ripping on anyone else but Hung in the interviews.

This portends well for Casey in the finale. Most reality shows are all about the happy ending and imho there's no way they edit Hung this way if he was the winner.

Marcel, Tiffany and Hung share the same characteristics- confidence bordering on arrogance, gratingly honest personalities, and a certain unlikeability factor. In other words, perfect "villains" to help pump up the "suspense" and make the winners seem even more appealing in contrast.

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 04:49 PM

CONSPIRACY THEORY: The results of the "Who do you want to see gone?" poll were faked in order to support their portrayal of Hung as a villain for the finale, knowing that its probably hopeless since people can't help but like him.

What is probably true: TV viewers looked past the cherubic quirky little man known as Hung and saw the villain that the producers wanted.

SECOND CONSPIRACY THEORY: People are racist?

Dids 09-27-2007 04:55 PM

Noah,

Given that Bravo's audience is like gay males, women, and 12 oot posters, I don't think it's a shock that the dickish asian guy beat out the girl and the gay dude. (the asian dude is rumored to be bi per some goofy interview answer however)

Autocratic 09-27-2007 05:02 PM

I don't know why, but I find Hung's antics somewhat endearing. You can't survive at the top of any field without some kind of ego driving you, and I can't fault anyone for being a little full of himself at that level.

Blarg 09-27-2007 05:04 PM

Some of Hung's responses on the show have made me wonder if he's gay, too.

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 05:07 PM

This development that Hung might like men is just completely shocking. I'm speechless.

21times20 09-27-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CONSPIRACY THEORY: The results of the "Who do you want to see gone?" poll were faked in order to support their portrayal of Hung as a villain for the finale, knowing that its probably hopeless since people can't help but like him.

What is probably true: TV viewers looked past the cherubic quirky little man known as Hung and saw the villain that the producers wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a theory that you have no idea what the word "cherubic" actually means

TwoOuter 09-27-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hung does seem to have some annoying traits, but with different editing I think he might come off as the best chef of any of the 3 seasons and easily the top chef this season. Instead, he's the ambitious wienie who nobody likes.

Sidenote: Reality shows make terrific examples of how media manipulates public opinion.

TwoOuter 09-27-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that Bravo's audience is like gay males, women, and 12 oot posters, I don't think it's a shock that the dickish asian guy beat out the girl and the gay dude. (the asian dude is rumored to be bi per some goofy interview answer however)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping he wins but I'd be shocked. He fits the pattern of the technically skilled, risk-taking runner-ups from past seasons.

Blarg 09-27-2007 05:23 PM

I just want to see him slice his finger off while speed-chopping onions.

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dictionary.com, 4th entry

"4. a person, esp. a child, with a sweet, chubby, innocent face."

http://www.bravotv.com/blog/tedallen...07/09/hung.jpg

This picture is a bit off, but hopefully you get the idea. He may be skinny, but you're lying if you tell me that you don't occasionally want to pinch his cheek.

Dids 09-27-2007 05:26 PM

Noah,

I'm cherubic, Hung is [censored] demonic.

Aloysius 09-27-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://nymag.com/images/2/daily/food...ripert_320.jpg

-Al

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noah,

I'm cherubic, Hung is [censored] demonic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm off (or gay) but when I think of Hung, I think of the words "sprite" and "pixie".

He seems like a little kid that wants to be tough or bad, but no matter what he does or says you just want to mess up his hair and call him a rascal or something.

ElSapo 09-27-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping he wins but I'd be shocked. He fits the pattern of the technically skilled, risk-taking runner-ups from past seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.

Blarg 09-27-2007 05:52 PM

I could agree a bit less. He's technically quite skilled, but he is not always adventurous, and has been criticized for that numerous times. He's not quite as bad with tuna tartare as Marcel was with foams or Howie with pork, but he sure likes it plenty, and has been noted to be kind of phoning it in when it comes to adventurousness sometimes. Not that thats not often pretty smart, I'm just saying...

His adventure with cauliflower ice cream probably reminded him why sticking to the tried and true can be wise.

Aloysius 09-27-2007 06:04 PM

Noah - I like the Ripert idea alot, but I don't think there are enough pictures out there of him to make it work. At first blush, this is a pretty good one:

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/S...r_vl.widec.jpg

But to be honest I'm not really sure what that's a good response to. What is he exactly... pensive?

All - I find Dale to be annoying - am I the only one? Hung is awesome and I hope he wins. I think Bourdain said in his blog that Casey is the clear favorite, but it feels more like a coinflip to me.

-Al

Dids 09-27-2007 06:07 PM

Dale is annoying in that he's a tad bit of a preachy moralist. Also he's got like a deceptive ego that seems unearned. Also he has a [censored] mohawk.

21times20 09-27-2007 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm off (or gay) but when I think of Hung, I think of the words "sprite" and "pixie".

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you're not off, these are excellent words to describe him, he is like an evil little pixie

bernie 09-28-2007 12:40 AM

One of my fav judges. Ripert? Very classy the way he judges.

Interesting episode.

b

Banks2334 09-28-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hung does seem to have some annoying traits, but with different editing I think he might come off as the best chef of any of the 3 seasons and easily the top chef this season. Instead, he's the ambitious wienie who nobody likes.

Sidenote: Reality shows make terrific examples of how media manipulates public opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the pendulum has swung too far regarding making excuses for dickish/bitchy behavior and blaming it on tv editing. Hung has done plenty of things to deserve the role of villain. If you don't want to be portrayed as a dick/bitch, don't act like one.

TwoOuter 09-28-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could agree a bit less. He's technically quite skilled, but he is not always adventurous, and has been criticized for that numerous times. He's not quite as bad with tuna tartare as Marcel was with foams or Howie with pork, but he sure likes it plenty, and has been noted to be kind of phoning it in when it comes to adventurousness sometimes. Not that thats not often pretty smart, I'm just saying...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is true. It must be tricky for all the contestants to know which way to go when they get ripped for playing it safe but also ripped for taking chances and screwing up dishes.

And it's just so hard to really know how these chefs stack up anyway because there's no objective scale and because of the hoops they have to jump through during the challenges.

Bring on the finale. It'll be nice to watch Casey jumping up and down when she wins.

TwoOuter 09-28-2007 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pendulum has swung too far regarding making excuses for dickish/bitchy behavior and blaming it on tv editing. Hung has done plenty of things to deserve the role of villain. If you don't want to be portrayed as a dick/bitch, don't act like one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and certainly don't blame it all on the editing. Hung's been a dick and he's not well-liked so that's going to come across one way or another. And if he loses I won't feel like he was robbed; as we've heard before, part of being "top chef" is the ability to inspire others to work with you. This may be Hung's downfall.

But I still think the editing skews things a bit and is all part of how many reality shows work backward from the finale when editing.

El Diablo 09-28-2007 02:49 AM

Noah,

"This development that Hung might like men is just completely shocking. I'm speechless."

http://www.imgred.com/http://www.new...999ripert2.jpg

BTirish 09-28-2007 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree and certainly don't blame it all on the editing. Hung's been a dick and he's not well-liked so that's going to come across one way or another. And if he loses I won't feel like he was robbed; as we've heard before, part of being "top chef" is the ability to inspire others to work with you. This may be Hung's downfall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure. I've caught a couple of reruns from Seasons 1 and 2 lately, mostly stuff from the end of each season. Hung seems to get along with the others much, much better than earlier "villains" like Tiffani and Marcel did with their competitors.

There just hasn't been quite as much tension among the chefs during this season: there have been group hugs and high-fives all around in all the recent episodes. You *never* saw people hugging Marcel, let alone refraining from cussing at him. There was the [censored] between Joey and Howie early (which they smoothed over) and people have had criticisms of Hung... but it doesn't really seem to carry over that much into how they act around him. They also obviously respect him, or at least respect his abilities.

Almost all of the recent criticism of Hung has come from Dale, and mostly in episodes when I think Dale probably feared he wasn't going to be surviving elimination. It's much easier to pretend that it's a team effort and to take this supposed moral high ground when you think you probably aren't going to win. It's like Howie "bowing out" in the episode where he was eliminated.

At this point, any of the three remaining could win. Dale has had a number of individual dishes that have really impressed the judges, so it's possible he could put together a really great finale meal.

I think I give the edge to Hung (and he's the one I'd like to see win), but I think it's going to be really close. I don't think Hung fits the Tiffani / Marcel type, despite the editors' attempt to hype up tension in the group.

jono 09-28-2007 03:45 AM

when is the part 2 of 2 finale?

TwoOuter 09-28-2007 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so sure. I've caught a couple of reruns from Seasons 1 and 2 lately, mostly stuff from the end of each season. Hung seems to get along with the others much, much better than earlier "villains" like Tiffani and Marcel did with their competitors.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Marcel was in a league of his own, and Tiffani came off quite badly as well.

[ QUOTE ]
There just hasn't been quite as much tension among the chefs during this season: there have been group hugs and high-fives all around in all the recent episodes. You *never* saw people hugging Marcel, let alone refraining from cussing at him. There was the [censored] between Joey and Howie early (which they smoothed over) and people have had criticisms of Hung... but it doesn't really seem to carry over that much into how they act around him. They also obviously respect him, or at least respect his abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hung definitely has their respect. I'm not so sure they feel any love for him though, and I wonder how thrilled they were when, for example, Colicchio said that Hung was clearly the best technical chef in front of everyone last episode.

There have been some hugs and high-fives, but in general if you watch the body language and comments after challenge winners are announced and when people are saying their goodbyes, my impression is that Hung doesn't have the same camaraderie with the group.

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all of the recent criticism of Hung has come from Dale, and mostly in episodes when I think Dale probably feared he wasn't going to be surviving elimination. It's much easier to pretend that it's a team effort and to take this supposed moral high ground when you think you probably aren't going to win. It's like Howie "bowing out" in the episode where he was eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point well taken. Still, it's kind of curious that there's been so little criticism of any other contestants (Howie notwithstanding) except Hung. And think about how many times Hung has been singled out not just by the camera but with accompanying interview comments for not helping someone out when he finished early. Why go out of the way to slam him for something that has so little to do with the actual cooking?

(I'm starting to feel like Hung's older brother. Better take a deep breath. I hope these comments don't sound too serious because this is really all in good fun.)

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, any of the three remaining could win. Dale has had a number of individual dishes that have really impressed the judges, so it's possible he could put together a really great finale meal.

I think I give the edge to Hung (and he's the one I'd like to see win), but I think it's going to be really close. I don't think Hung fits the Tiffani / Marcel type, despite the editors' attempt to hype up tension in the group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I see some parallels with Tiffani/Marcel but who really knows. If this were another reality show, like The Bachelor (please don't ask how I know this), where the eventual winner is often edited to look like the he/she is not going to win so the finale isn't telegraphed, then I'd say all 3 have a chance.

But I don't think so. They've positioned Casey and Hung as the best chefs remaining. As in past seasons, there will be a stark contrast between the final two. If Hung were the winner, I think they would have edited very differently, because if he wins the audience imho will have a much different visceral reaction than if Casey wins.

Of course, I'm probably wrong. That happens a lot.

ScottieK 09-28-2007 02:51 PM

Thoughts...yes, Hung is supposed to be the villain this season. Not on a level with Tiffany and Marcel. He hasn't been on the receiving end of anything like "I'm not your bitch, bitch" or "just take your foam and go sit in the corner." He hasn't actively sabotaged anyone else like Tiffany and Marcel, but Hung is so condescending it's ridiculous. The judges don't understand, they're confused. Any classically trained chef can do this. Any monkey can use white wine with fish. What do cowboys eat? Baked beans, baked beans, baked beans!

In the previous season finales, the finalists got help from other chefs that were eliminated. It seems to me that having a team to rely on hurts the villain, because the villain's team won't step up like they will for the hero. They'll go out drinking the night before, like Dave and Stephen, and come in hung over and not put forth their best effort. So if the Season 3 guys get help...I'm thinking that Casey will be a clear favorite. CJ would probably be her helper, and he'd do whatever it took to make her win. Brian could help Dale I guess, but knowing those two, they'd come up with a hundred-ingredient recipe and three choices for each course, and the judges wouldn't know what they were eating. I think Hung and Sara might clash too much and it would affect the food...but they could whip some ass chopping onions and breaking down chickens. If the chefs are on their own, I think Casey is a slight favorite. Depends on what they're cooking and how much time they have.

Hung makes very good, technically perfect food....and that may be enough to win if Casey and Dale "get lost in the weeds" in the finale. Having helpers will reduce the chances of that happening. Casey is solid and can cook just about anything. Dale can come up with some great stuff and improvise well, but he seems to be the one most susceptible to going crazy and losing it all...like with the chicken duet for the French chefs. By the way, did you know that he was gay? Is it just me, or does he manage to mention that in every interview? Annoying.

I would like to see Casey win, but I wouldn't mind if Hung won. I think I'd pick Casey or Tre to cook me dinner.

ScottieK

Matt Williams 09-28-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to see Casey win, but I wouldn't mind if Hung won. I think I'd pick Casey or Tre to cook me dinner.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had grits, but when Tre made those cheesy bacon grits, I was like "Holy [censored], that sounds awesome!".

shaniac 09-28-2007 08:52 PM

I'd just like to point out that Eric Ripert ate food with his knife TWICE during this episode. WTF @ world renowned chef forsaking basic eating etiquette on national TV.

dankhank 09-28-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just like to point out that Eric Ripert ate food with his knife TWICE during this episode. WTF @ world renowned chef forsaking basic eating etiquette on national TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

i liked seeing wylie dufresne eat shrimp with his hands last season

StevieG 10-05-2007 12:15 PM

Just found this video of Brian after his elimination.

Brian after elimination

Basic idea, he thinks that he was robbed and that if they are going to put so much emphasis on the plates, they should call it Top Dish, not Top Chef.

Right.

I guess that explains having done only oysters for a raw bar in the week before the restaurant challenge, then two weeks of front of the house stuff, instead of cooking food.

Dids 10-05-2007 12:31 PM

Per Tom's blog, Brian ended up at judges table basically because he was stuck in Aspen with nothing else to do. That's pretty rolf to me.

StevieG 10-05-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Per Tom's blog, Brian ended up at judges table basically because he was stuck in Aspen with nothing else to do. That's pretty rolf to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. Catching up on the blogs now.

Not only has Hung managed to become likeable to me over these last three episodes, but Brian managed to become something of an arrogant ass.

Still [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Casey. Don't change, girl. Don't change.