Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   President's Cup (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=510546)

ZeTurd 09-27-2007 10:09 AM

President\'s Cup

Anyone else stoked for this? There's something about the teams and matchplay format that is especially appealing to me. Matchplay generally sucks in regular competitions, but when you have two teams against each other and you mix it up with foursomes and fourballs you get a recipe for awesomeness.

Looking purely at the PGA rankings of the players, it looks like it might be a close competition (US has top 4 players, but international team has 9 of the top 15), but a virtual lock for all of Tiger's matches, a close-to-homefield advantage for the US team, and history on their side (4-1-1), the US team has to be considered pretty clear favorites.

Competition begins with foursomes today. The first pairs to tee off are Steve Stricker and Hunter Mahon against Adam Scott and Geoff Ogilvy at 1.15 PM. Tiger tees off in the last match with Charles Howell III against K.J. Choi and Nick O'Hern at 2.05 PM.

41eater 09-27-2007 11:15 AM

Re: President\'s Cup

[ QUOTE ]
a virtual lock for all of Tiger's matches

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I didn't think his Ryder/President's Cup record was all that hot.

ZeTurd 09-27-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a virtual lock for all of Tiger's matches

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I didn't think his Ryder/President's Cup record was all that hot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bit of an overstatement from me there, and obviously in foursomes he needs to avoid his playing partners totally botching it up. But if his form from the last few competitions is intact, he should be hard to touch.

tuq 09-27-2007 12:22 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this event. After this post, gonna see if I can find it streaming online somewhere. If not, I may have to go home and semi-work from there.

There was something weirdly empty about the DiMarco putt two years ago. I think it's that, unlike the Ryder Cup, they didn't state "in the case of a tie, previous winner retains status". On top of that they were coming off of a tie. So when DiMarco made that putt it was a huge anticlimax because the only two possible results were 1) US Win, or 2) Int's win all the outstanding matches to tie and then it's a tie. It was basically a freeroll for the US.

I'm not sure if that has been changed. That said, the International team is effing loaded and it makes no sense to me how the US can beat or tie them every time and then get completely owned time and again by a clearly less talented European squad in the Ryder Cup.

black knight 09-27-2007 01:04 PM

And Tiger's 0-2 vs O'Hearn.

Danastasio1 09-27-2007 04:30 PM

I think this is a fantastic event. As one who watches/plays golf quite frequently, this unique tournament structure is a welcome change of pace. Appleby misses a tap in, GO RED TEAM!

Butcho22 09-27-2007 04:55 PM

I'm trying to get pumped for this but I'm having a hard time.

Perplexity 09-27-2007 05:22 PM

USA is crushing

Won 1, AS in 3, +2 with 4 to go in 1, +1 with 5 to go in another

Butcho22 09-27-2007 05:34 PM

Cap'n Jack already conceding putts that obv shouldn't be conceded...no wonder I can't get pumped for this.

ZeTurd 09-27-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap'n Jack already conceding putts that obv shouldn't be conceded...no wonder I can't get pumped for this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was kinda strange. Obviously not a given and a lot of pressure on Singh. Nice gesture though.

I'm having hard time getting really pumped myself. Just can't decide which team to root for! There's been some nice puts and shortgame though.

westhoff 09-27-2007 06:08 PM

Meh, I'll definitely watch, but I've never gotten excited about this event for some reason. Just not even close to the Ryder Cup.

ZeTurd 09-27-2007 06:11 PM

To makes matters worse, it'll be reeeeallly difficult for the international team to catch up now. Looks like it'll go to 5 1/2 - 1/2, killing a lot of the excitement unless it turns drastically tomorrow.

Butcho22 09-27-2007 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I'll definitely watch, but I've never gotten excited about this event for some reason. Just not even close to the Ryder Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

For myself, it's all the "sportsmanship" surrounding this event. It's just one big love-fest between Nicklaus and Player. Makes me want to puke...if they had it there way it would be a tie every year.

Just way too much of an exhibition feel out there, imo.

BigSoonerFan 09-27-2007 06:26 PM

5.5 to 0.5......looks like a tossup the rest of the way.

Eurotrash 09-27-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For myself, it's all the "sportsmanship" surrounding this event. It's just one big love-fest between Nicklaus and Player. Makes me want to puke...if they had it there way it would be a tie every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, as much as I hate to have to admit this, I agree with you completely, Bitcho.

it's like Jack and Gary try to one-up each other on how long of putts in crucial situations they can concede to each other's team. And then when one finally outdoes the other they share an open-mouth kiss on the 18th while everybody applauds...

... and Bobby Clampett films from the bushes with the Konica-Minolta BizHub SwingVision™.

regardless, what a performance today by Phil and Woody Austin. very entertaining match. I like that pairing.

tuq 09-27-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, as much as I hate to have to admit this, I agree with you completely, Bitcho.

it's like Jack and Gary try to one-up each other on how long of putts in crucial situations they can concede to each other's team. And then when one finally outdoes the other they share an open-mouth kiss on the 18th while everybody applauds...

... and Bobby Clampett films from the bushes with the Konica-Minolta BizHub SwingVision™.

regardless, what a performance today by Phil and Woody Austin. very entertaining match. I like that pairing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't generally quote long posts with a short response, but this is all very correct and/or funny, including the bolded part.

RacersEdge 09-27-2007 08:47 PM

Match play just doesn't do it for me.

And what's up with Nicklaus conceding a potential bogey/loss?

BigSoonerFan 09-27-2007 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't generally quote long posts with a short response, but this is all very correct and/or funny, including the bolded part.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP (as the funniest part)!

tuq 09-27-2007 11:11 PM

BSF,

It was all good.

Did anyone see how badly Els whiffed that putt on 18? Hoo boy, that thing never even scared the hole, and it was what, three feet and straight? Total yip. Then it looks like the US team gave them the putt coming back even though it was as long as theirs. Probably because David Toms was putting and he never, ever misses putts that short. It could be three feet and have eight feet of break and it would go in the center of the cup.

All the matches going down to the wire was interesting. So was everyone tarding up the 18th hole. Most notably the Appleby pull hook into the weeds that forced Goosen to hit a blind shot over a hospitality tent and led to the announcers using the term "TIO" about a thousand times in a five minute span.

Butcho22 09-27-2007 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
led to the announcers using the term "TIO" about a thousand times in a five minute span.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was out of control

pgjcbsn 09-28-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its because the Europeans seem like a real team. They come over on one plane, they hang with each other during the year, and then party like hell when they win.

Ryder Cup is tons better than the Presidents.

tuq 09-28-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its because the Europeans seem like a real team. They come over on one plane, they hang with each other during the year, and then party like hell when they win.

Ryder Cup is tons better than the Presidents.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, good point. Plus geographically they're a lot closer, not scattered across the globe from Korea to Fiji to South Africa. (Although they all pretty much live in Florida now.)

It's a shame the RC is that much better because the talent level of the Internationals is way better - at least as far as world rankings and events won, because they got destroyed yesterday. With the right amount of hate this could be the better event.

tuq 09-28-2007 01:18 PM

Live @ is now up for those of you at work. They're broadcasting every group coming through the 7th hole, then I think they shift to the 13th hole. Link. I don't think it's Firefox friendly though, I have to use IE.

Nutflushington 09-28-2007 04:58 PM

Someone put the youtube link of that here whenever it comes up.

ZeTurd 09-28-2007 05:00 PM

Fact: Woody Austin is good for golf!

tuq 09-28-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: Woody Austin is good for golf!

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't see this last match, but he and Toms won both 16 and 17 to square the match (both with birdies by him). That on the heels of him halving yesterday after being three down after eleven. That guy has some fight.

Funny that you and me are about the only two posting in this thread. It may be too chill for most people but it's still the best in the world facing off in a format we rarely get to see. I like it.

ClarkNasty 09-28-2007 06:17 PM

It's ok, and I'd like us to win, but it's no Ryder cup. This just feels fake.

ntnBO 09-28-2007 06:18 PM

For some of you who posted in the Tour Championship thread, nobody, NOBODY should EVER question Woody's heart or integrity.

That was simply great to watch no matter which team you are rooting for.

BO

BigSoonerFan 09-28-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5.5 to 0.5......looks like a tossup the rest of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be mistaken....the Internationals may be the favorite...

Nick B. 09-28-2007 06:35 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Brocktoon 09-28-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some of you who posted in the Tour Championship thread, nobody, NOBODY should EVER question Woody's heart or integrity.

That was simply great to watch no matter which team you are rooting for.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

So his character and integrity are beyond reproach because he made some nice shots on the first two days President's Cup? I don't get the connection.

duvvard 09-28-2007 08:07 PM

That was [censored] hilarious when Woody fell into that pond today.

ntnBO 09-28-2007 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So his character and integrity are beyond reproach because he made some nice shots on the first two days President's Cup? I don't get the connection.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some people wouldn't understand, that is their loss. It has nothing to do with the shots, very little to do with the result. Trout knows what I'm talking about.

If Ryder Cuppers had half Woody's heart and desire and grit, they would never lose.

BO

Butcho22 09-28-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Some people wouldn't understand, that is their loss. It has nothing to do with the shots, very little to do with the result. Trout knows what I'm talking about.

If Ryder Cuppers had half Woody's heart and desire and grit, they would never lose.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Woody has a ton of heart. I mean, if I was a downie, I would probably be trying my hardest too to prove to everyone I'm as good as the next guy.

ArcticKnight 09-28-2007 10:21 PM

The Presidnet's cup is better than the Ryder cup, IMO. Some of the reasons:

1) The American media gets WAY too patriotic and mushy about the whole Ryder cup thing. Seems so contrived - it's just golf! The role of the Captain in Ryder cup is WAY overstated. Jacka nd Gary do have it right. "Go play golf"

2) The depth and name recognition of the international team is much greater.

3) All 12 players play every match. Benching golfers is idiotic, and something they are not used to.

4) If Jack and Gary want to make a match-up, they can (i.e Woods/Weir or Woods/Rory, Woods/O'Hern!!! or VJ/Phil. The "line-up" system in the Ryder Cup is silly.

5) Some people may be down on the "gimmee putt" or the Jack/Gary love-in, but there is no arguing one thing. The President's cup has produced much better golf matches than the Ryder Cup of late. I will always remember Woods/Els putting in the dark, and yesterday's Weir/VJ versus Phil/Woody match was awesome.

PS> Off topic, but the Montreal course looks like a nice old fashioned, tree-lined golf course -- too bad we don't see more of these.

black knight 09-28-2007 10:24 PM

There's a huge difference between integrity and 'heart'...huge. I found it funny that he did his little "tap in" after he missed a putt around the 14th or whatever hole (the 1' was inconsequential or conceded)...well, SURE looked a lot like the one he whiffed on [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BigSoonerFan 09-28-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) All 12 players play every match. Benching golfers is idiotic, and something they are not used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not every match. Only 5 matches twice tomorrow. Cink and Howell will be cheering in the morning.

ArcticKnight 09-28-2007 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not every match. Only 5 matches twice tomorrow. Cink and Howell will be cheering in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx. I stand corrected.

black knight 09-28-2007 11:37 PM

FWIW, I think the PCup is far better than the Ryder cup, if only for the reason that it's the WORLD instead of just Europe.

Oh, and a big booya for Weir kicking ass and showing why he was an awesome pick.

tuq 09-28-2007 11:49 PM

ArcticKnight,

Pretty good points IMO, but you're fighting an uphill battle. A lot of people prefer the tradition of the Ryder Cup, the fact that the seemingly underdog Europeans keep defying logic time and again. Plus their chemistry and energy is way more fun to witness than the stodgy President's Cup squad.

It's like dogs and cats, people seem forced to pick one or the other. Why can't I like both? So I choose to like these both for what they are. Tomorrow I'm golfing 36 holes so I'm bummed to be missing it, but I'll be recording all ten hours or whatever and really look forward to watching it when I get home.