Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cool USA Today Presidential match game (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509818)

Scary_Tiger 09-26-2007 12:59 PM

Cool USA Today Presidential match game

USA Today Candidate match game

I like how it does it graphically. I got Ron Paul, Sam Brownback, and Fred Thompson.

I noticed it didn't give any credit to Paul for running a business though, so he should've won by more. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Also, Giuliani got a huge boost for wanting to scrap the tax system, something he's not actually considering to my knowledge. Oh, and once I figured out the slider system to give more emphasis to Tax Reform, the Iraq War and Health Care, and less on Global Warming and Experience, it was Paul, Giuliani and Kucinich.

Ineedaride2 09-26-2007 01:23 PM

Re: Cool USA Today Presidential match game

Paul, Giuliani, and Kucinich?

"One of these three is not like the others."

iron81 09-26-2007 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
One? I can't think of 3 more dissimilar candidates except for maybe replacing Giuliani with Brownback/Huckabee.

Mine were Kucinich, Dodd and Richardson. Richardson is interesting to me. I hadn't seriously considered any of the minor Dem candidates, but I think I like Richardson.

Ineedaride2 09-26-2007 01:37 PM

I should like Richardson better than I do, but he just comes off wrong to me every time I see him make an appearance.

That test said that Tancredo would be my top choice, and no matter how far and violently I moved those sliders, I could not move him down the list.

Looks like I'm going to have to vote Tancredo.

THIS SUCKS.

esad 09-26-2007 01:40 PM

Ridiculous. Many of the questions did not have answers that I was in favor of so I had to pick the lesser of five evils.

iron81 09-26-2007 01:48 PM

I reran the test, but this time, instead of picking what I would ideally like to see, I picked answers according to what the policy priorities should be and I came up with Richardson, Kucinich and Giuliani.

bobman0330 09-26-2007 01:51 PM

The more interesting question is who you disagreed with the most. I have Tancredo followed by a tight pack of Edwards, Duncan Hunter (who?), Ron Paul, Brownback, and Kucinich.

esad 09-26-2007 04:30 PM

Since most of the choices are terrible instead of using to find the best candidates I used it to find the worse ones. It's a good idiot test since the answers are the actual positions of the candidates. Running it as an idiot test I got:

Edwards, Obama, Clinton (Dodd came in a very close 4th)

Kinda what I expected.

iron81 09-26-2007 04:44 PM

Esad, what answers would you have liked to see?

vhawk01 09-26-2007 05:05 PM

My idiot test got Hunter, Kucinich and Clinton.

Dan. 09-26-2007 06:20 PM

Gravel, Kucinich, Paul.

Dan. 09-26-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ridiculous. Many of the questions did not have answers that I was in favor of so I had to pick the lesser of five evils.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite true. This was especially true for me regarding immigration.

esad 09-26-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Esad, what answers would you have liked to see?

[/ QUOTE ]

One example:

Question #6 - "What's the best way the federal government can get more people covered by health insurance."

All the answers are just degrees of bad. And, why is it the federal government's duty to get more people covered by health insurance? Asking this question assumes that it's obviously something the feds should be doing, which I strongly disagree with. What's next; "What should the fed's do to make sure people wipe properly after taking a dump?"

Many of the questions are along these lines. They assume, that the question is something that the federal government should be directly involved and then give 4-5 poor choices about something that doesn't need to be fixed or is a non-issue.

Case Closed 09-26-2007 06:34 PM

Gravel, Kucinich...McCain?

I did not know how to answer the last question about which is the most important position to have held for a presidential candidate. I don't think holding any of those positions would make a person more qualified than someone else just because they were in that office.

Case Closed 09-26-2007 06:39 PM

esad,

For the health care question you hate there was an option to pick something along the lines of open up health care to competition. Essentially you can pick a response that has the government getting out health care. You're looking at this from a very cynical perspective, I thought this quiz was allowed for a variety of legitimate responses.

Copernicus 09-26-2007 06:51 PM

Hmm my earlier response got lost.

Regular: Giuliani, Thompson, Romneh

Idiot: Paul, Biden, Edwards.

Neither one a great surprise, except I think too much crediblity is being given to Clinton's insincere plays to the middle.

4 High 09-26-2007 07:34 PM

Kucinich
Gravel
Obama

theseus51 09-26-2007 08:11 PM

1) Ron Paul
2) Rudy Giuliani
3) Mike Gravel

4th looked like Fred Thompson
5th looked like Dennis Kucinich

I'm very confused.

mjkidd 09-26-2007 08:51 PM

I got Paul, Rudy, Thompson.

I sort of threw up a little when Rudy was my second best candidate. Esp. because it's true.

TomCollins 09-26-2007 08:58 PM

I'm hoping Copernicus takes this test so he ends up with Pol Pot, Stalin, and Mao.

Ineedaride2 09-26-2007 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm hoping Copernicus takes this test so he ends up with Pol Pot, Stalin, and Mao.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

Borodog 09-26-2007 09:13 PM

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../matchgame.jpg

Duh.

wtfsvi 09-26-2007 09:15 PM

I've watched some videos of Ron Paul and he is pretty awesome, so I'm surprised he didn't win for me. There was a lot of picking the lesser evil, though. I guess it's hard since I get different brain washing than you get, not being an American and all. I got 1. John Edwards, 2. Ron Paul, 3. Bill Richardson

I guess RP lost a lot since when I picked the "cap and trade"-system for global warming and put global warming to very important.

edit: For some reason changing my priority to low on same-sex marriage changes the third place from Richardson to Obama, even though they agree on the subject according to this thing. Crazy stuff.

Copernicus 09-26-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you honestly posted yours, they would most likely be Castro, Chavez and Llamazares.

vhawk01 09-26-2007 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../matchgame.jpg

Duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG Ron Paul got one wrong.

Bob Moss 09-26-2007 11:53 PM

I found the choices for the illegal immigrant question downright offensive. The question was:

"What should the federal government's emphasis be in dealing with illegal immigration?"

The choices (paraphrased):

-"beef up" border security
-build a fence
-force employers to check workers' legal status
-"guest worker" program
-track all immigrants in a database

Where is the "I don't think it's a crime to want to move to a better neighborhood" option?

maxtower 09-27-2007 12:35 AM

Yeah, I would have liked to see "open border policy".

ikestoys 09-27-2007 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, one isn't a complete idiot

reup 09-27-2007 02:01 AM

Paul
Kucinich
Richardson.. is phat, i mean fat

kevin017 09-27-2007 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the "I don't think it's a crime to want to move to a better neighborhood" option?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just put the immigration slider all the way to the left, because none of the candidates want this so it won't matter anyway.

I thought it was kinda meh how specific some of the answers were. My general top ones were thompson, edwards, romney.

Case Closed 09-27-2007 02:42 AM

borodog,

Kucinich was in 4th, how does that make you feel?

Low Key 09-27-2007 03:35 AM

Anyone else notice the disconnect between Hillary's quote and what they attribute to her?

My top 3 were Kucinich, Gravel, Obama, followed closely by Huckabee, then Clinton/McCain tied for 5th.

My idiot test was Thompson, McCain, then Giuliani.

Moneyline 09-27-2007 09:23 AM

I got Kucinich by a mile, then Gravel, then Obama as a distant 3rd.

I don't think the game is particularly useful though, because many of the most important issues to me aren't addressed.

XXXNoahXXX 09-27-2007 10:22 AM

people need to change the sliders before they post who they get.

even gay people i know admit that iraq/health care/tax reform are more important than same-sex marriage, and this seems to weigh them equally.

I get Romney, Guiliani, Hunter. When you look at Matrix view though, I'm all over the map. My political beliefs are a pretty mixed bag, but Romney is definitely dead last for me, and most republicans are way behind all the dems.

bluef0x 09-27-2007 07:25 PM

Paul, Gravel, Kucinich... 4th is Guiliani, but I'd never vote for him.

They should have weighed the answers of those who answered differently than you. For example, for the Iraq war, there are two reasons to stop funding the war (I think) both should score points.

bluef0x 09-27-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

even gay people i know admit that iraq/health care/tax reform are more important than same-sex marriage, and this seems to weigh them equally.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and I bet you have black friends too, huh?

TomCollins 09-27-2007 08:15 PM

The most surprising thing is the abortion issue was not mentioned in any questions. I'd guess at least 30% of all voters will make up their mind primarily on that alone. The militant pro-choicers and the militant abolitionists would never choose a candidate against that no matter what their stances are on other issues.

bluef0x 09-27-2007 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
militant abolitionists

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

People are still fighting to end slavery in the US?

Borodog 09-27-2007 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
borodog,

Kucinich was in 4th, how does that make you feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little dirty.

4 High 09-27-2007 10:10 PM

Idiot Version

Tancredo
Huckabee
Thompson