Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Are your fingerprints on file? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509096)

gusmahler 09-25-2007 02:38 PM

Are your fingerprints on file?

I've been watching too much CSI and reading too many mysteries lately. They'll always mention AFIS, the Automated Fingerprint Identification System as a way to identify unknown persons.

But I've always wondered just how extensive the network is. One book I read said that only about 1 in 50 people have their fingerprints on file. But that book is about 10 years old, so I don't know how accurate the system is.

So for you Americans, if your fingerprints were found at a crime scene, could you be identified? Feel free to add why they'd be in the system.

For me, I've been fingerprinted twice: Department of Defense, and state bar admission.

icepick 09-25-2007 02:38 PM

Re: Are your fingerprints on file?

[censored] no.

Freakin 09-25-2007 02:41 PM

No. I've never been fingerprinted, but have been arrested twice.

TiK 09-25-2007 02:41 PM

I used to volunteer at OPP (Orleans Parish Prisons) during college, and I had to get my fingerprints taken for that. So if I do ever commit a crime, yeah, they'd know who I am in a second. Unless of course I chew off my fingerprints beforehand...or wear gloves.

DBSpecial 09-25-2007 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I've never been fingerprinted, but have been arrested once.

[/ QUOTE ] <--- me

KneeCo 09-25-2007 02:43 PM

Didn't vote cause Canadian, but did get finger printed when taking the LSAT, don't know if that would be on file for cops, don't really care.

Also, you suck for watching CSI.

kkcountry 09-25-2007 02:43 PM

yes, from volunteer work w/ kids

heater 09-25-2007 02:46 PM

yep, drug felony

Hoi Polloi 09-25-2007 02:47 PM

Financial services; standard. At least they don't use ink anymore.

Daddy Warbucks 09-25-2007 02:49 PM

This job really isn't how shows like CSI make it out to be. When I first joined the force, I assumed there was semen on everything - there was some huge semen database that had every bad guy's semen in it. There isn't. That doesn't exist. It'd be nice. Like that crime scene today. If that guy had ejaculated and then punched you in the face, we'd have a real good shot at catching him.

Don_Lapre 09-25-2007 02:50 PM

I'm not sure. I was fingerprinted when I was 15, I'm now 33. Anyone know if fingerprints change? I doubt they were scanned into a computer at that time.

TiK 09-25-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that guy had ejaculated and then punched you in the face, we'd have a real good shot at catching him.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

Freakin 09-25-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure. I was fingerprinted when I was 15, I'm now 33. Anyone know if fingerprints change? I doubt they were scanned into a computer at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/RazorBlade.jpg

sethypooh21 09-25-2007 02:53 PM

State Bar association +1 (Interestingly, the first state did not require prints, the current one does...)

mbillie1 09-25-2007 02:53 PM

mine are on file until I can afford the MiB fingerprint erasing device

scott1 09-25-2007 02:58 PM

Yes. Dept of State interview x2.

That Foreign Guy 09-25-2007 03:01 PM

Yes - flying through the USA during the last 6 years has put at least one of my fingerprints and my photo in some sort of homeland security database in case I'm a terrorist.

pokah5 09-25-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, from work w/ kids

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime 09-25-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, from sex w/ kids

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar 09-25-2007 03:05 PM

sadly yes, my mom bought into that whole fingerprint your children to keep them safe from kidnapping campaign, when I was little

kevin017 09-25-2007 03:11 PM

nope.

i'm really surprised that so many people have been fingerprinted. you all sure these went to the police and weren't just for your immediate group to have? there's no way the police have prints of 70% of the population

mbillie1 09-25-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's no way the police have prints of 70% of the population

[/ QUOTE ]

70% of the OOT population, on the other hand...

KilgoreTrout 09-25-2007 03:14 PM

Class A firearms license. Got my thumb.

mrkilla 09-25-2007 03:17 PM

I was first going to say no but then i rember doing it as a boy scout (this was like 20 + years ago i guess) So I don't know if they are in the system but I answered yes

bosoxfan 09-25-2007 03:21 PM

disturbing the peace when i was 16. that was 15+ years ago but i assume they are on file

schwza 09-25-2007 03:32 PM

i vaguely remember having somebody come to my 3rd grade class and taking prints. i don't know if they were cops, or if they were just showing us how that kind of stuff works, or what.

i also had the cops search my apartment about 5 years when i was reported missing by my parents (long story). don't know if they would have taken prints off something just to have them on file.

sethypooh21 09-25-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there's no way the police have prints of 70% of the population

[/ QUOTE ]

70% of the OOT population, on the other hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

And the cops don't have mine, the state bar association does, FWIW.

liquidboss 09-25-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sadly yes, my mom bought into that whole fingerprint your children to keep them safe from kidnapping campaign, when I was little

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch, I always thought this was a horrible thing to do to your kids. The chances of this actually helping if you were kidnapped have to be small. It seems like a good way for the government to use scare tatics to grow the fingerprint database...

mikeymer 09-25-2007 04:45 PM

yep thanks to getting arrested when i was 19. sigh.

TheDoubleA 09-25-2007 04:51 PM

yes

being arrested and spending some quality time at the county resort

drugs are bad, m'kay

renodoc 09-25-2007 05:54 PM

California medical license way back when.
Nevada concealed carry permit.
Brought a shotgun to Maui once to do some trapshooting and decided it was +EV to register it vs. possible confiscation.

youtalkfunny 09-25-2007 05:58 PM

<---army, state Gaming permits, and one arrest.

(EDIT: Since no one else mentioned military service, maybe they don't routinely print everyone. I had a security clearance, maybe that's why they took mine. It was so long ago, I don't recall.)

BretWeir 09-25-2007 05:59 PM

Yep. Used to have a federal government job.

KurtSF 09-25-2007 06:04 PM

Me and the 20 million other people with a California Driver's License have been fingerprinted.

phage 09-25-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me and the 20 million other people with a California Driver's License have been fingerprinted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have a California Driver's license and haven't been fingerprinted but the The VA fingerprinted the hell out of me when I started my job here...

Alobar 09-25-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch, I always thought this was a horrible thing to do to your kids. The chances of this actually helping if you were kidnapped have to be small. It seems like a good way for the government to use scare tatics to grow the fingerprint database...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it should have been obvious what it was really for. Maybe my mom just thought i'd grow up to be a criminal and felt she owed it to society cuz she felt guilty for giving birth to me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BigPoppa 09-25-2007 07:34 PM

Ex-military with security clearance, so yes.

SackUp 09-25-2007 07:37 PM

yup - for the DOJ and CA Bar.

selurah 09-25-2007 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yep thanks to getting arrested when i was 19. sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Minor consumption FTL.

Sooga 09-25-2007 07:49 PM

Yep, I believe that's one of the prerequisites to getting a teaching job. I think my fingerprints are in the state and federal db's.