Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How much for this table? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=507621)

pfapfap 09-23-2007 04:01 PM

How much for this table?

http://www.p7a77.net/pitr/finaltable.jpg

Someone in our games built it years ago and let us use it for a while. It's sturdy, built from scratch, solid rail. It seats 10 comfortably, and can rather easily handle 11. And stripper lights!

How much would you expect to pay for something like that?

Small Fry 09-23-2007 04:31 PM

Re: How much for this table?

Dude..... I love the lights

Used - excellent condition, if you're in no hurry to sell I could see a couple hundred.

New - Maybe $500-$600. But with so many cheap , inferior tables out there only the more serious players are going to shell out this much cash. It's going to need some nice legs to get this. If it's got folding legs then take off $100 easy

Taso 09-23-2007 04:48 PM

Over $600.

zoneblitz 09-23-2007 05:15 PM

I like the lights too. Seems like a simple design (no race track), so I'd expect the material costs to be < $200 (assuming folding legs). If it is in good condition and sturdy, I could see someone paying $350-$400.

BrianBigNFun 09-23-2007 05:29 PM

Niiiiiicce hat

Hahahahahaha

Mischman 09-23-2007 05:49 PM

Just Curious, what are the dimensions?

Artsemis 09-24-2007 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The picture makes it appear 2D but I imagine it's 3D in person

Sir Folds A Lot 09-24-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's going to need some nice legs to get this. If it's got folding legs then take off $100 easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding legs are nice legs. I think folding legs are a bonus because they make the table easier to store, and transport. They, the folding legs, should be of professional quality of course. Folding legs or not, I'd say, if this table looks like a manufactured table, it would be sold brand new for about $500. Used, about 200. Put it on craigslist and see what you get for offers.

Small Fry 09-24-2007 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's going to need some nice legs to get this. If it's got folding legs then take off $100 easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding legs are nice legs. I think folding legs are a bonus because they make the table easier to store, and transport. They, the folding legs, should be of professional quality of course. Folding legs or not, I'd say, if this table looks like a manufactured table, it would be sold brand new for about $500. Used, about 200. Put it on craigslist and see what you get for offers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't mean to imply folding legs are bad and as you have pointed out have their positive attributes. I have 3 tables all with folding legs. My point was to the effect that if somebody was looking for a more permanent set up, like in a dedicated game room, then having a table with a nice, decorative base or legs would be preferred and fetch a better price. I didn't look at the flip side in that this could also be a deterrent to the guy looking for a storable, transportable table.

pfapfap 09-24-2007 01:52 PM

Groovy, thanks for feedback. I was really just more curious what I could tell him he could make if he started building these. Probably not enough to be profitable per hour worked. He said it cost him $200-$300 in materials to make it. It's about 100"x48", give or take (this is just my "stretching out my arms" measurement). It has folding legs, which is a plus for me in my current setup, but it is INCREDIBLY sturdy. This thing has had big burly guys leaning on it for four or five years now (albeit not every day or even every week) and it's not wobbly at all.

Small Fry 09-24-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Groovy, thanks for feedback. I was really just more curious what I could tell him he could make if he started building these. Probably not enough to be profitable per hour worked. He said it cost him $200-$300 in materials to make it. It's about 100"x48", give or take (this is just my "stretching out my arms" measurement). It has folding legs, which is a plus for me in my current setup, but it is INCREDIBLY sturdy. This thing has had big burly guys leaning on it for four or five years now (albeit not every day or even every week) and it's not wobbly at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get any info on where he got the lights? Style? type? etc...

pfapfap 09-24-2007 02:17 PM

It's a rope light. I imagine at any halloween store right now.

Mischman 09-24-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prbly 48x96, thats a standard sheet of plywood.

Shaqizzle 09-24-2007 06:34 PM

Those lights remind me of the ones I have in my bathroom, They go underneath the cabinets so late at night you don't have to turn on any bright lights.

I'd imagine you could get them at any Home Depot.

Sir Folds A Lot 09-25-2007 01:56 PM

You can find those lights in most patio areas of department stores as well. I think hardware stores such as Lowes or Home Depot may have them too. Do you have to plug them in Pfap? I saw a table from a guy on homepokertourney.com who had lighting like that that ran on battery power. He had a doo-hickie from Radioshak underneat that ran two D sized batteries. I've considered adding them to my main table, but I don't like the extension cord idea. My outlets on the patio are not so condusive to a table light.

Perk76 09-25-2007 02:04 PM

$995.00

Assuming it has some sort of pedastal/solid base with decor. My father-in-law has made a few and sells them. If you look through ebay there are a ton that are considerably more than that, as well as some a few hundred lower.

Check out the online sites for how to build them and you could build one yourself and get the satisfaction out of it and save some money.

Lunger 09-25-2007 03:34 PM

This table has a minimum cost of $297 in parts plus shipping costs to get them of like $50. I would triple that for labor costs and sell it for a total of $1041.

I assume the following parts:

2 Sheets of plywood-birch or harder $80
3 Yards of Velveteen playing surface $30
3 Yards of 1/4" playing surface foam $27
3 Yards of 1" High Density Rail Foam $45
3 Yards of Whisper Faux Vinyl $45
10 Stainless Steel Cupholder $30
Folding Legs $20
Light $20

If you substitute cheaper quality materials like MDF instead of ply then my calcs are off. I have built my own table and know how this stuff costs.

jtr 09-26-2007 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The picture makes it appear 2D but I imagine it's 3D in person

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Bluegrass Poker 09-26-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This table has a minimum cost of $297 in parts plus shipping costs to get them of like $50. I would triple that for labor costs and sell it for a total of $1041.

[/ QUOTE ]Good luck with that. Nice table but no way somebody pays a grand for it.

CrazyEyez 09-26-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably not enough to be profitable per hour worked.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT

I've made a couple of tables. It's time consuming, and there just is not enough of a market that is willing to pay substantially more than what materials cost. I sold a similar one a few years back when poker was more popular and the best I could get was $300 with limited marketing. Materials were about $250 IIRC.

PayToSee 09-26-2007 08:48 PM

I have to agree with CrazyEyes. I've made 3 quality tables (including one with a light rope sort of like in the pic). Materials cost between $300 and $500 depending on how fancy the table is. And there were many, many hours of labor. (I can't stress "many" enough, I must have varnished/sanded/varnished mine 6-8 times).

Considering that you can get somewhat-kind-of-decent tables for $150 at CostCo, there is just no way you can make and sell these at a profit, unless you are a cabinet-maker quality carpenter who knows a lot of people willing to drop $1000 on a poker table.

I sold one of my tables for less than cost, to make room for the newest/biggest table I made. Asking materials plus a small amount per hour of work would, frankly, be out of the question.

Believe me, I tried to make the numbers work out, because I'd love to have table making as a money-making side hobby. Isn't going to happen.