Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Variance: How do people win MTTs? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=506200)

Stake Monster 09-21-2007 12:50 PM

Variance: How do people win MTTs?

Cuz whenever I somehow have the stupid idea to play one, I run like crap and I see the donks playing K4o in re-raised pots winning every hand.

Do I need some sort of shaman voodoo artifact of Luck +5 or should I just play every hand?

PJo336 09-21-2007 12:50 PM

Re: Variance: How do people win MTTs?

they dont, idk where you heard otherwise

Stake Monster 09-21-2007 12:52 PM

I play on a non-US network. That means they do play every hand, and they do win, because most of them do it. (On an average 9-man table the vpip average is usually over 40 with 5-6 of them playing 70+)

PJo336 09-21-2007 12:53 PM

nope, no one wins, check ur stats again

obiedman 09-21-2007 12:53 PM

they luckbox every hand. this is standard in all mtts on all sites, as well as live.

Jamsym 09-21-2007 01:03 PM

Get coaching off Chad Batista

Dan87 09-21-2007 01:08 PM

I can't understand this either. I won my first ever live donkament and i didnt know what i was doing. It was a 60 person tournament, and looking back all I did was luckbox the [censored] out of the tourney. Flopped a set against aces and stacked him, got KK vs QQ and stacked someone, went allin with A7 and final table and stacked pocket jacks.

Even online I just won every race and got dealt AA like 4 times to take down a 300 person tourney. Blah blah there is skill w/e, Id argue that the people who look the most skilled and win are the ones who get into situations to make them look like they play good.

Craggoo 09-21-2007 01:11 PM

Srsly, the only people that win MTT's are either huge luckboxes or huge cardracks. End of story.

rakemeplz 09-21-2007 01:13 PM

Yup they are all luckboxes. Don't drink the lemonade in the MTT forums.

sharkscopeaholic 09-21-2007 01:13 PM

But over the course of 1000's of mtt's everyone has the same amount of luck and you'll easily be able to tell who the better players are.

rakemeplz 09-21-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But over the course of 1000's of mtt's everyone has the same amount of luck and you'll easily be able to tell who the better players are.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] LUCKBOX

blankoblanco 09-21-2007 01:17 PM

it is kind of sick. the one MTT i ever won was actually one of the most badly i've played a tournament, and i luckboxed quite a few times. played better than most but certainly didn't deserve even a final table.

since then (the past 6 months) i pretty much play awesome over and over again and the effing two outers and gutshots fall like rain, and i honestly couldn't tell you the last time i won a critical coinflip. it's a bit discouraging

EWS87 09-21-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But over the course of 1000's of mtt's everyone has the same amount of luck and you'll easily be able to tell who the luckiest players are.

[/ QUOTE ]

sleepi 09-21-2007 01:41 PM

the people that are winning is just a volume issue. yes everyone gets lucky as anyone else through thousands of tournaments but they will have stretches where they are running hotter. runnig hotter = winning your 30/70s with [censored] like AQ>QQ. it's just all situations where whoevers runnig hotter = winner. and doing [censored] like like racing when you're the big stack. you got AK with 16 players left and no matter who open raises, when it's only like 30% half your stack, it's a standard all in no matter who you are. it's just a bunch of all in pres.

RandomUser 09-21-2007 01:50 PM

Even the best players in the world require luck to do well in MTTs.

Harrington vs Helmuth (2003?). Harrington was all-in preflop with JJ and Helmuth has QQ. Harrington rivers a J and goes on to make the final table.

But as someone said, if you play a lot of MTTs the luck factor evens out and the best players will place higher more consistently.

However, due to the payout structure, even the best MTTs have to make multiple final tables to match a luckboxes one-time win (see also Jamie Gold)

Ihavenoavatar 09-21-2007 02:43 PM

In order to win MTTs you have to constantly be making people make tough decisions. You want them to sweat a call and sweat even harder if they do decide to call you.

PJo336 09-21-2007 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order to win MTTs you have to constantly be making people make tough decisions. You want them to sweat a call and sweat even harder if they do decide to call you.

[/ QUOTE ]
this answer is incorrect, since its a tourney its usually all in and pray, who sweats there?

crazyJohn 09-21-2007 02:49 PM

Only one person wins.

swope 09-21-2007 03:44 PM

here is the secret:

The way to win MTT's has nothing to do with running good. It has everything to do with not getting unlucky.

I've only recently started to show a profit at MTT's and when I win, its often without 'sucking out' on anyone, ever. Its just because the best hand stood up when I needed it to.

Now, snatch the pebble from my hand.

nath 09-21-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington vs Helmuth (2003?). Harrington was all-in preflop with JJ and Helmuth has QQ. Harrington rivers a J and goes on to make the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was Jason Lester.

And yes, MTTs are all luck.

sleepi 09-21-2007 04:00 PM

this retarded. in order to win you have to adjust to how your table is playing. if you can run over the table, raise every dam hand, pussies trying to cash, then do it. if you got winners who know what you're up to, then slow the [censored] down. you could just play standard poker and if you pick up the right hands at the right time, you can win a MTT, tough decisions my ass.

Kimbell175113 09-21-2007 04:04 PM

OP,

You have to accumulate chips from other players participating in the tourney by beating them in hands. You either do this by making them fold or having the best ranked hand after all community cards have been dealt. You keep doing this until all players have been eliminated from the tourney and you have accumulated all the chips.

Ihavenoavatar 09-21-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this answer is incorrect, since its a tourney its usually all in and pray, who sweats there?

[/ QUOTE ]

They will sweat because they will be all in. Not me

jmill2511 09-21-2007 04:26 PM

Play well and then make sure you flip really well when it gets to the last two tables.

Stake Monster 09-21-2007 04:50 PM

Thank you Kimbell. Your insight into this matter has been enlightening. Next time I play a No-Limit Hold Em Multi-Table Tournament I will make sure to remember your tips and tricks. I'll report my new found glory to you when I achieve success.

sledghammer 09-21-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But over the course of 100,000's of mtt's everyone has the same amount of luck and you'll easily be able to tell who the luckiest players are.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NHFunkii 09-21-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for some people, both sides are heads

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]