Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Big fold with top pair and nfd (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=505896)

Jay Riall 09-21-2007 01:05 AM

Big fold with top pair and nfd

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $139.45
BB: $359.90
Hero (UTG): $200.00
CO: $348.10
BTN: $197.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $7.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $7.00, SB calls $6.00, BB calls $5.00

Flop: ($28) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $19.00</font>, Hero calls $19.00, BTN folds, SB calls $19.00

Turn: ($85) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $66.00</font>, 2 folds

Pot Size: $151.00

BB is probably like Nielsio's cousin or something. SB is some random donk.

keikiwai 09-21-2007 01:13 AM

Re: Big fold with top pair and nfd

[ QUOTE ]

BB is probably like Nielsio's cousin or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

[X] most confusing read eva!

i'd call because of how you played flop and since A is a good bluff card for villain

Claunchy 09-21-2007 01:20 AM

I don't get the Nielsio reference either, but villain would have to be a really hudge nit for me to fold there. I like calling better than raising.

Fonkey123 09-21-2007 01:25 AM

call/call

Speedlimits 09-21-2007 01:27 AM

nielsio is a nit how does no one get that?

call turn.

keikiwai 09-21-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nielsio is a nit how does no one get that?

call turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but, how does nittiness get passed to cousins?

does this make the cousin more or less nitty?

is it a cousin once removed?

kissing cousin?

seriously.......

Jay Riall 09-21-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call/call

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling turn and calling a river shove is gross imo.

And the Nielsio thing was just saying villain is nit obv.

Jay Riall 09-21-2007 01:33 AM

wtf is a kissing cousin?

garcia1000 09-21-2007 02:14 AM

I can see the reason for the fold, but I raise all-in here.

Unknown Soldier 09-21-2007 02:23 AM

if he's that nitty, good fold. although more reads on sb would help, if you think theres a high likelihood he'll come along i think you should call turn.

calling turn and river is just spew. Raising turn is also bad.

Irishman07 09-21-2007 02:41 AM

Villain is a nit and bets into 4 people on the flop and 3 on the turn. The only hand that I think you're ahead of is 7h8h. The A is a good scare card for him but its just not likely he's turning a made hand like K9 into a bluff and generally nits won't bluff the flop with complete air multiway. If you knew the sb was gonna come along you could call but theres also a chance he shoves and then you're likely faced with a reshove from BB with you being forced to call likely having 20% or less equity. I'd fold it.

And raising is just terrible.

modnareno 09-21-2007 02:50 AM

Folding is never fun. Especially when you have outs to the nuts! He's either got a set and you'll win the rest of his monies when you make a flush, OR you just turned him and he'll check and you'll win with your pair.

BGnight 09-21-2007 02:54 AM

Yuck. This is a set up hand. If you think he's nitty I think you should fold even though this would be reeeeally hard for ME to do. If your certain SB is coming along then calling seems ok. I seriously doubt BB is gonna be bluffing an ace here.

Fonkey123 09-21-2007 02:54 AM

I'd prefer a better read.

He's playing all combo draws like this right?!

shpanko 09-21-2007 04:07 AM

Do nits play combo draws hard? Do they even play suited connectors at all?!

I think this is a great fold Jay, nh.

Fonkey123 09-21-2007 04:08 AM

4 to the flop. Even nits call with sooooted cards there.

duckyfuzz 09-21-2007 04:32 AM

Yeah it's a fold I think. Even if he had 78h I'm not too confident he would lead the turn with it like that.

Bulletproof Monk 09-21-2007 05:07 AM

raise flop

call turn

[censored] reads we have a monsta

shpanko 09-21-2007 05:26 AM

are you guys kidding me? Raise flop is atrocious, call turn is less bad but still not great when this guy's range is mostly sets.

Though he'd prob play 9hXh hands like this perhaps. Still I think the turn is a fold given the fact that he followed up his flop lead with a large turn bet when the A hit.

2Paul2 09-21-2007 06:38 AM

Looks fine. Once he fires turn I think his range gets extremely narrow w/ your read.

I could see raising flop also though. Even if the guy is nitty he is getting a redic price when it comes to him pf so I think his range will be slightly wider than usual here so there are plenty of big draws he could have that you do vry well against. Also a nitty guy like this could easily have TT-QQ that he doesnt want to 3bet oop w/ all those callers an is now taking a stab at a good flop. Vs those you have gd fe an straight equity if called. If he does turn up w/ a set its not a disaster either.

terp 09-21-2007 06:38 AM

jay you played this well

MURK 09-21-2007 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is a kissing cousin?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's kinda clever.

Spy Dog 09-21-2007 09:21 AM

You have the implied odds to call, especially when the SB can call and supplement the pot. Maybe it's not worth it HU, but you are still 3-way when it's your decision.

Jay Riall 09-21-2007 11:47 AM

Meh, what does SBs hand looks like a midpair very very often here, which he is very unlikely to overcall a $66 bet with on the turn.

Jay Riall 09-21-2007 11:50 AM

Everyone who wants to continue with the hand, how would a blank falling on the turn affect your decision?

ama0330 09-21-2007 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who wants to continue with the hand, how would a blank falling on the turn affect your decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

They would all instafold which is why they are wrong because the ace on the turn doesn't really improve us at all versus villains range. He likely has us drawing dead to an ace anyway if he has a set and I dont rate our 2pr outs either

Noam Chomsky 09-21-2007 11:59 AM

I play it the same.

FGators 09-21-2007 12:02 PM

This isn't the guy to raise the flop against. There is likely zero FE as well, we know his description.

I probably end up calling the turn here because I'm in love with my hand but yeah, its really not that strong when you are up against a set.

Nielsio 09-21-2007 12:19 PM

I was sweating my cousin and told her to 3-barrel-bluff all the two plus two donks, because nits always have the goods ldo.

SilentNoise 09-21-2007 12:22 PM

BB's lead into the field on that board looks pretty strong.

[ QUOTE ]
i'd call because of how you played flop and since A is a good bluff card for villain

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay said that BB was a nit. What hand is BB going to lead out into the field on this drawy board, that is then helped by the turn? Mayyyybe A9? Is it a nit calling preflop with that? I guess if its suited, with the few callers before him.

BB must be well aware of his image at the table. He cant expect Jay to put him on any hand that is helped by the A except A9s imo.

At the same time you dont really wanna stack off with just an Ace here. I dont think he is ever betting the turn AND betting the river as a bluff. I dont like calling turn AND calling river for this reason.

I think its safe to say that BB will give up on a blank river if you call the turn (if hes bluffing with some other combo draw or something, or a hand like TT/(JJ?) ).

So call turn/fold river.
Call turn value bet river if checked to (with just the ace)
and obv get the money in if you hit the nuts

edit: since SB is a random donk, im not too worried about him having a set. if it was some other nit who only calls from the blinds with small pairs, then i like the immediate fold on the turn since a turn c/r looks inevitable. since hes a donk hes probably got like 9T or something.

zaxx19 09-21-2007 02:10 PM

I dont play SSNLH anymore but you dont think you could get him to crying call 100 bucks on the river if one of your out hits?

I mean thats assuming there is a 0% chance he has a non Ace holding.

If thats true, if he is simply that tight why not steal that pot on the flop with a huge raise or push?

Jay Riall 09-21-2007 02:18 PM

Trouble is I only make the nuts 16% of the time, and hes not very likely to put much money in the pot when I do one of these outs. If I hit an Ace or 3 and he pushes I hate calling because we are up against a set soooo often there.

zaxx19 09-21-2007 02:25 PM

So if he is THIS INSANELY WEAK TIGHT WHY NOT STEAL ON THE FLOP THATS THE POINT!!!

Dude they dont always have the nuts brother.

Spy Dog 09-21-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, what does SBs hand looks like a midpair very very often here, which he is very unlikely to overcall a $66 bet with on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Random donks can easily have a worse flush draw. Plus, 87/A6/A9 can all be in his range. You must factor this in to your decision.

primate 09-21-2007 06:28 PM

Raising this hand UTG is spewey.

keikiwai 09-21-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) depends
2) 5 handed FTW

Jay Riall 09-21-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 5 handed and even if it were 6 handed I still disagree.

EddieRooo 09-21-2007 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 5 handed and even if it were 6 handed I still disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strongly disagree, but it depends how laggy you are I guess.

Given your read, I think the turn fold is fine: given the action the ace really hasn't improved your hand enough.

Also I think 66 into 85 reeks of a bet that wants a call.

TwistedEcho 09-21-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dumb nit, go play FR

Noam Chomsky 09-21-2007 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God these comments in every thread get old. It's such a cop out, has nothing to do with the situation and it's plain incorrect to make these types of blanket statements.