Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How to never feel the emotion guilt again. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504826)

hitch1978 09-19-2007 07:13 PM

How to never feel the emotion guilt again.

Sorry, did I mislead you?

I have no idea, I want yours...

hitch1978 09-19-2007 07:13 PM

Re: How to never feel the emotion guilt again.

I feel so guilty.

Phil153 09-19-2007 07:36 PM

Do the right thing from now on. A man with a busy and virtuous life should be able to avoid guilt.

tame_deuces 09-19-2007 07:36 PM

1. Death.
2. Become a sociopath (the political correct term these days is to have antisocial personality disorder).

And...er...I'm pretty certain that sums it up really.

hitch1978 09-19-2007 07:57 PM

OK, so what drives us to feel guilt?

What is guilt? Do we have to do something wrong to feel guilty? What is wrongdoing?

I have been made to feel guilty when I have done nothing wrong, by someone who would rather me feel bad than themselves.

Ridiculous example ahoy - Mike and John walk into a bar, Mike asks John to hang his coat up and upon getting to the rack there is only enough room for one coat. John hangs his own coat and upon seeing a second rack walks toward it. A piano falls on his head.

Case 1) Self inspired guilt. John dies, mike feels terrible forever, and guilty.

Case 2) Prosecuted guilt. The piano lands on John's foot, breaking it. John constantly says 'If you hadn't made me hang your cost up...'

In neither case Mike has done any wrong. how do you avoid feeling either type of guilt?

tame_deuces 09-19-2007 08:40 PM

Well, the pretty much accepted definition of guilt within psychology is pretty much on par with your everyday definition of it. Some sort of affective state stemming from having done something you think you shouldn't have.

There is also evidence that points out that guilt has slightly different 'meaning' and 'triggers' in different cultures, which makes it natural to assume that guilt atleast partially is a cultural construct we have learned throughout our upbringing.

As usual, evolutionary theory has theorized that guilt is an adaption that makes survival easier within a social context. Iow. the ability to feel guilt is somehow linked to 'making it' in a social society.

All things considered, and with my own best educated guess, both things make sense. At some level the capacity for feeling guilt is probably part of our biology, but what sets it will differ from culture to culture and with what you have learned.

As for dealing with it, there are probably many ways to go about that from individual to individual. There are 'therapy' strategies for it within psychology, but clinical psychology is not my field so I don't know much about them.

Splendour 09-19-2007 08:58 PM

Eat donuts...they always make me feel better!

Splendour 09-19-2007 09:23 PM

tame_deuces made some nice observations...I'd like to add that guilt is also something that people will attempt to make you feel in order to manipulate or control you...

There is probably also conditioned guilty...you feel guilty under certain circumstances due to prior or family conditioning...

onesandzeros 09-22-2007 01:35 AM

Guilt can only be felt in denial of truth.

tame_deuces 09-22-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice oneliner which doesn't mean a thing.

luckyme 09-22-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is guilt? Do we have to do something wrong to feel guilty?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not directly connected.
You can feel guilty for no reason, as far as an act of yours goes.
It's an emotion, so too much carrot juice may trigger it.

Obviously we evolved it, as have other animals, to make a social group work but it can/does trigger in situations totally unrelated to the need for a quilty feeling. For the most part, it kicks in when we think ( if subconsciously is thinking) that we have screwed up, caused harm, etc. It's not correlated as well with the actual situation as sunburn is to sunshine.

I almost feel guilty writing this, since it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, and I don't,

luckyme

madnak 09-22-2007 04:00 PM

I have a personality quirk in that I feel guilt at strange times. I often feel guilt at throwing something away - a food wrapper or broken pen, for example. My guilt is very specific - I feel that the object served me well, and I'm repaying it by putting it in the trash, relegating it to a life in the landfill (which it clearly doesn't deserve). Sometimes I can't bring myself to act rationally, and I just hang on to the object until the feeling passes (sometimes for a matter of days or weeks).

Is this rational? Hell no. It's probably related to the autistic spectrum. So for those who suggest that feelings of guilt are indicative of a sinful nature - explanation? (Maybe I'm just repressing my guilt at rejecting God, and it's coming out in neurosis. Heh.)

Praxis101 09-22-2007 05:58 PM

yesss
welcome back madnak

Hoi Polloi 09-22-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the right thing from now on. A man with a busy and virtuous life should be able to avoid guilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, shame and guilt are the principle tools enforcing any social norm. The only way to escape them would be to cease to be human. Even a hermit feels guilt.

NotReady 09-23-2007 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You feel guilty because you are guilty.

Romans 2:
15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

There are only two solutions:

1. Deny the guilt until your heart is so hard you can no longer repent.

2. Repent and accept God's forgiveness.

Phil153 09-23-2007 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, shame and guilt are the principle tools enforcing any social norm. The only way to escape them would be to cease to be human. Even a hermit feels guilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never felt guilty about anything I've done. There have been fleeting "gee...I shouldn't have done that, won't do it again" type moments, but no guilt.

I'm pretty sure that's not uncommon. Why would anyone who acts mostly in accordance with their conscience feel guilty?

Phil153 09-23-2007 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You feel guilty because you are guilty.

Romans 2:
15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

1. Deny the guilt until your heart is so hard you can no longer repent.

2. Repent and accept God's forgiveness.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

He feels guilty because a galactic warlord called Xenu blew up the corpses of dead people with hydrogen bombs 75 million years ago, causing their souls (Thetans) to cluster around the bodies of the living, blocking their ability to self determination. Christianity is but one of the binds that these Thetans place on people.

1. Deny the truth of this while the Thetans continue to impede your soul, until your heart is so controlled that you know longer know who you are.

2. Seek the help of an experienced practioner to free you from the clutches of these Thetans and put you on a path enlightenment.

bunny 09-23-2007 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never felt guilty about anything I've done. There have been fleeting "gee...I shouldn't have done that, won't do it again" type moments, but no guilt.

I'm pretty sure that's not uncommon. Why would anyone who acts mostly in accordance with their conscience feel guilty?

[/ QUOTE ]
I envy you (and think it is uncommon).

I feel guilt in situations where I've weighed options and made a choice - a choice I later feel was not only wrong, but also where I think I should have been able to work out it was wrong.

jackflashdrive 09-23-2007 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Death.
2. Become a sociopath (the political correct term these days is to have antisocial personality disorder).

And...er...I'm pretty certain that sums it up really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this sums things up, but how to go about (2)? What makes a sociopath? Let's ignore the explanations that go to nature and just focus on the things that we can control that might help us enter the nonguilty sociopathological state.

My suggestion: Meditate on the ineherent hypocrisy and selfishness of all humanity, nurse a quiet contempt for it, and then one day you'll come to the realization that all humankind is so cruel, worthless, and deserving of punishment that anything bad you do to any human being is no less than what he or she deserves anyhow. While you will never feel guilty again, you will of course be trading in a host of other (positive) emotions that also go hand in hand with relating to others of the species.

As for guilt about non-human animals. Well, miseries the river of the world.

tame_deuces 09-23-2007 11:46 AM

There is little knowledge of what 'makes' a sociopath. You see very high number of sociopaths in prisons, but there is no clarity if sociopaths commits crimes more readily , and hence more sociopaths get sent to prison or if the harsh reality in prisons makes people sociopathic.

So nobody really knows. Some estimates suggest 2-3% of the human population has sociopathic tendencies, which would be a real killer for utopian ideals atleast (nice pun, I'm proud).

onesandzeros 09-24-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It means far more then "a thing" you are correct.

Give me an exapmple of why you would ever feel "guilty"?

onesandzeros 09-24-2007 03:09 PM

Please explain why the word sociopath is being used in connection with "guilt".

a sociopath is defined as "a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience."

hitch1978 09-24-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It means far more then "a thing" you are correct.

Give me an exapmple of why you would ever feel "guilty"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You wake up the day after your 21st birthday party and your friend tells you that you cheated on your girlfriend. You have no recollection of the event as you were drunk.

(I am not taking sides, just trying to forward the discussion. And, no. This didn't ever happen.)

onesandzeros 09-24-2007 03:49 PM

[/ QUOTE ] You wake up the day after your 21st birthday party and your friend tells you that you cheated on your girlfriend. You have no recollection of the event as you were drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great example!

hitch1978 09-24-2007 04:11 PM

So explain your, 'Guilt can only be felt in denial of truth.' with this example....

onesandzeros 09-24-2007 04:51 PM

He cheated because he wanted to cheat. Alcohol was the excuse. If he Deny's to himself that he cheated out of free will (the truth) and says its the alcohol, then he will likely feel guilty. He knows the truth deep down, but by not facing it, the guilt creeps in. Not guilt because he cheated but guilt because he is unwilling to face the truth of what he really wants...

tame_deuces 09-24-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain why the word sociopath is being used in connection with "guilt".

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a classic sociopathic trait is the inability to feel guilt. Tada.

Sociopathic tendencies (which is a word not even used anymore diagnostically) is just an umbrella expression covered a wide range of lack of disregard for common norms, ethics and indifference to the fate other people and the consequences of your actions towards them. The common denominator amongst sociopaths is a lesser range of emotions than is usual.

Sephus 09-24-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He cheated because he wanted to cheat. Alcohol was the excuse. If he Deny's to himself that he cheated out of free will (the truth) and says its the alcohol, then he will likely feel guilty. He knows the truth deep down, but by not facing it, the guilt creeps in. Not guilt because he cheated but guilt because he is unwilling to face the truth of what he really wants...

[/ QUOTE ]

why would he feel guilty because he doesn't want to face the truth of what he really wants? you're suggesting he can't feel guilty for doing what he wants to do (cheating) but he does feel guilty for not doing what he doesn't want to do (face the truth of what he really wants).

onesandzeros 09-24-2007 05:25 PM

If you do what you want to do openly and freely and with no shame then you will not feel guilty, ever. That is not to say that what you choose to do doesn't have consequences.

If you look to men to tell you what to believe, what to do, when to piss, what to say, how to act, whats right and whats wrong etc etc...then they have your mind and free will under control. Good and bad is not the point.

tame_deuces 09-24-2007 05:35 PM

Err, is that a reply to me? Being a sociopath has nothing to do with good or bad, right or wrong.

onesandzeros 09-24-2007 06:52 PM

[/ QUOTE ] why would he feel guilty because he doesn't want to face the truth of what he really wants? you're suggesting he can't feel guilty for doing what he wants to do (cheating) but he does feel guilty for not doing what he doesn't want to do (face the truth of what he really wants).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] why would he feel guilty because he doesn't want to face the truth of what he really wants?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the truth hurts. It may be easier for him to deal with his "double life" inwardly through "guilt" then to live honestly and face possible persecution from the outside world because of how those choices may be viewed by others.

madnak 09-24-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't cheat. His friend is lying to him.

Sephus 09-24-2007 06:57 PM

what does the truth hurting have to do with him feeling guilty for not wanting to face the truth of what he really wants?

onesandzeros 09-25-2007 03:32 AM

Because he doesn't find joy in the negative feelings that hurting and guilt manifest.

onesandzeros 09-25-2007 03:41 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't cheat. His friend is lying to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point and always possible in this kind of situation. Some "friends" are not what they appear and could do that to set you up to take your girl...

If I didn't remember it, it did not occur. Period.

Sephus 09-25-2007 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because he doesn't find joy in the negative feelings that hurting and guilt manifest.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't argue with you because i'm having trouble seeing how your responses are supposed to be connected to the questions you're answering. enjoy your opinion.

onesandzeros 09-25-2007 04:07 AM

Just an exchange of Ideas. No right and wrong opinions imo. Defiantly no arguing.