Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Hardest Sudoku I've ever seen (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504139)

durron597 09-18-2007 09:29 PM

Hardest Sudoku I\'ve ever seen

Plz wait a few days until posting the solution in this thread kthx. Took me a long time.

Feel free to PM me solutions but dont post them here.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4...tsudokufv3.png

clowntable 09-18-2007 11:13 PM

Re: Hardest Sudoku I\'ve ever seen

Oh noes it's probably a "devil sodoku" I only remember that they have some ugly propertys for writing a solver for them.

Double Ice 09-18-2007 11:43 PM

half done after a few minutes, did not find this hard at all, all the answers i have written in so far were forced and did not require crazy [censored] such as guessing

amplify 09-18-2007 11:56 PM

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...92/sudoku9.gif

bojtun 09-19-2007 12:11 AM

I'm not very good at these - I always try them on a computer, without writing down dual/triple possibilities (which is probably why I'm not good at these) - but I actually did it on paper ... answer sent.

Got stuck in one spot for a few minutes.

durron597 09-19-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
half done after a few minutes, did not find this hard at all, all the answers i have written in so far were forced and did not require crazy [censored] such as guessing

[/ QUOTE ]

did you solve it yet?

durron597 09-19-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not very good at these - I always try them on a computer, without writing down dual/triple possibilities (which is probably why I'm not good at these) - but I actually did it on paper ... answer sent.

Got stuck in one spot for a few minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

your answer is correct

it definitely does require guessing, you said so yourself... this is probably the puzzle that requires guessing the earliest i've ever seen

Stephen H 09-19-2007 11:52 AM

This puzzle does not require guessing. A few applications of X-wing, Y-wing, and simple coloring can resolve this - I tossed it into a Sudoku Solver and it didn't even get to the uglier solving methods like Finned X-wing and MultiColoring etc, and it certainly didn't get into the "Trial and Error" (or guessing) methods.

durron597 09-19-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This puzzle does not require guessing. A few applications of X-wing, Y-wing, and simple coloring can resolve this - I tossed it into a Sudoku Solver and it didn't even get to the uglier solving methods like Finned X-wing and MultiColoring etc, and it certainly didn't get into the "Trial and Error" (or guessing) methods.

[/ QUOTE ]

sudokusolver.co.uk definitely got into guessing

Stephen H 09-19-2007 12:05 PM

www.scanraid.com/sudoku.htm did not - that's my solver of choice when playing with soduku solvers.

Nicholasp27 09-19-2007 12:10 PM

so far i haven't done any guessing; i'll let u know if i had to when finished

kokiri 09-19-2007 12:19 PM

doesn't colouring imply guessing?

i mean that i would only use a colour change if i'm stuck, but have a cell that is either 5 or 9. Then i try 5 in another colour until i hit a contradiction and, if so, switch back to 9. I view that as guessing.

Playing around with this one, it occurred to me that this sort of guessing/scenario testing, is probably much quicker than my usual technique. Usually I go in a cycle that runs:

1) do all the obvious deductions
2) do some less obvious ones
3) get stuck and hunt around for a new complicated deduction.

Where step 3) is way the slowest. By replacing 3) with 'choose a 50% shot and see if it leads to a contradiction', as long as you have an audit trail, the slowest part of the techniques is removed, at the expense of potentially being wrong.

i hate these things with a passion.

bojtun 09-19-2007 12:22 PM

Yep, I got in a spot fairly early where column 5 was down to two spots and I felt like I was kind of stuck everywhere else with 2/3/4 possibilities in lots of places ... tried one of the numbers in column 5, ran into a road block ... then plugged in the other one and cruised along at a decent pace.

I prefer "trial and error" over "guessing" ... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Stephen H 09-19-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doesn't colouring imply guessing?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a long discussion but I can see the complaint. I turned off coloring as an option and it solved it just using Xwing and Ywing deductions on top of the basic stuff.

Having to do multiple Xwings to solve a Sudoku is pretty obnoxious and easy to miss so I would definately classify this as a darn hard Sudoku.

durron597 09-19-2007 01:00 PM

i've been going to guessing before y wing... mostly because i didn't know y-wing prior to this thread

thats probably why i thought this one was so hard

RoundTower 09-19-2007 01:25 PM

I had to guess at one spot, after I was only sure of 14 more numbers. But the guess disproved itself fairly quickly. It took me a bit more than half an hour, but I haven't done very much sudoku and I have no clue what all these techniques you mention are.

RoundTower 09-19-2007 01:26 PM

also, I solved mine in MSPaint. Standard, or is there a tool to use that isn't cheating?

mute 09-19-2007 02:04 PM

Finally got this done. No guessing, but took me a couple of hours. I'm really out of practice with these.

Used a bunch of x-wings and one forced chain.

I hadn't heard of y-wings either. Gonna be looking for those in the future.

Neil S 09-19-2007 04:09 PM

I'd never heard of any of this stuff. No wonder I was toast in gamesapalooza, heh.

kristiefix 09-19-2007 08:42 PM

Ah, Sudoku... it doesn't look too bad, I'll take a crack at it.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Aces0Kingz 09-20-2007 08:00 AM

pretty solid but got there in the end.

durron597 09-20-2007 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, I solved mine in MSPaint. Standard, or is there a tool to use that isn't cheating?

[/ QUOTE ]

excel?

soah 09-20-2007 11:31 AM

I've never done one of these before, but I'm gonna try to solve it in my head

I'll let you know if that leads to anything.

bravos1 09-20-2007 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never done one of these before, but I'm gonna try to solve it in my head

I'll let you know if that leads to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wish I could find the asploding head pic!

soah 09-20-2007 02:15 PM

I couldn't get anything. I think it's impossible.

chim17 09-20-2007 04:43 PM

wtf is x wing y wing.

All I do is look for numbers that don't match up anywhere else.

bravos1 09-20-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is x wing

[/ QUOTE ]

LDO!!!

http://www.wireless-earth.de/private...ter_Flying.jpg

His Boy Elroy 09-20-2007 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is x wing y wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty standard strategy once you find yourself in knip. Once you use the X-wing (Y-wing is a little more advanced/abstract), you can start a Pullman's gambit, hopefully resulting in a Clough-Mercer row. Otherwise you've got to double back to the X again and fill them all out with Benzoic sequencing.

mute 09-20-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is x wing y wing.

All I do is look for numbers that don't match up anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

sudoku

Found this when I was googling for y wing. There's a lot of stuff, that I'd never heard of before.

Stephen H 09-20-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is x wing y wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty standard strategy once you find yourself in knip. Once you use the X-wing (Y-wing is a little more advanced/abstract), you can start a Pullman's gambit, hopefully resulting in a Clough-Mercer row. Otherwise you've got to double back to the X again and fill them all out with Benzoic sequencing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Sudoku, not Mornington Crescent. X-wing is a totally different strategy in that game (and isn't even legal unless you're using the Jacobson Amendment of 1982, which is pretty non-standard; typically we disallow it in our home game)

kokiri 09-20-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...the Jacobson Amendment of 1982...

[/ QUOTE ]

fricking non-londoners.

since they reopened the tube station, this has been rendered moot.