Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   HSP - Jamie Gold, I don't hate him anymore (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503764)

inyourface 09-18-2007 12:43 PM

HSP - Jamie Gold, I don\'t hate him anymore

I will probably get flamed for this but what the hey. After watching HSP and seeing JG at the WSOPE I really do think he has had a bad press over the last year and a half. I did at first hate his guts, yes I was jealous he was $12M richer than me, but mainly annoyed how arrognat he appeared.

Since then though I think he's less arrogant (on top of his dad dying) and I have now forgiven him (which I'm sure means absolutely zero to him) but still I was wondering if anyone's opinion is still sour?

Considering the other idiots on the poker scene at the moment like Micon, Khan and Molina, JG asking if you have it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I will say again I'm not basing this on one HSP episode I went to watch the WSOPE and thought he and the rest of the filed were much nicer people in person than they appear on TV.

Anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Veil 09-18-2007 12:52 PM

Re: HSP - Jamie Gold, I don\'t hate him anymore

Most are far too quick to judge. It's plain embarrassing for the human kind to be this moronic and pathetic to judge someone from watching them in an edited form for just a few hours.

inyourface 09-18-2007 01:03 PM

If thats a dig at me I agree with you, I should never have judged him from TV alone. Just trying to rectify things I've said lol. At least he doesnt angleshoot etc. etc.

Veil 09-18-2007 01:13 PM

No worries. It wasn't to you; just a general comment. Glad to see the Gold hate is finally dying down a little bit. About time.

NicksDad1970 09-18-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least he doesnt angleshoot etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWOOOOOOOOSH

Mr_Mxyztplk 09-18-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No worries. It wasn't to you; just a general comment. Glad to see the Gold hate is finally dying down a little bit. About time.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait a min. , is this Jamie?......lol

xxrod17xx 09-18-2007 02:05 PM

I still don't like him. I think hes bad for the game of poker and its image in the US Govt. Mainly because of the understanding of the luck factor in tourneys was greatly inhanced by his win. Also his negative actions at the table and stupidity give the game a bad image.

I am sure hes a great guy, and I have nothing against him as a person but I feel he is not good for the game and ESPN and GSN and NBC should probably refrain from giving him max face time.

xxrod17xx 09-18-2007 02:05 PM

On the other hand he prob brings more donkeys into the game that are going to act/play like him

charliecozz 09-18-2007 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't like him. I think hes bad for the game of poker

[/ QUOTE ] I don't like him either and still haven't forgiven him for being such an obnoxious douche at WSOP 2006.

TheWorm967 09-18-2007 05:45 PM

actually my opinion is also starting to turn around on jamie. I don't mind him as much and respect his excitement and passion for the game.

wagnes 09-18-2007 06:11 PM

I never "hated" the guy, but he is difficult to root for.

There were people who disliked JG well before the airing of 2006 WSOP based soley on his actions at the live event; before one piece of video had been edited. That has to say something.

BigSoonerFan 09-18-2007 06:13 PM

Thank goodness another thread was opened for this.

oddsock 09-18-2007 06:35 PM

He's good TV. I think this years final table episode will be somewhat less entertaining.

xjimraketex 09-18-2007 07:36 PM

i always liked him
he may be a donkey and he may be an arrogant prick...
i like him though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TheCount212 09-18-2007 07:42 PM

You compare Gold with, say, a Dan Harrington or a Freddy Deeb in terms of class, and you instantly realize that one of them is not like the other two.

primetime32 09-18-2007 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You compare Gold with, say, a Dan Harrington or a Freddy Deeb in terms of class, and you instantly realize that one of them is not like the other two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anyone want a poker world filled with only players like dan harrington and deeb?

Porkchop Express 09-18-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anyone want a poker world filled with only players like dan harrington and deeb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the only other choice angle shooting, faux-sincere, luckbox douchebags?

Photoc 09-18-2007 08:29 PM

Who's Jamie Gold? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lozen 09-18-2007 10:48 PM

Never hated or disliked him. He won said he wasnt the best player never would be and enjoying life.

john voight 09-19-2007 12:20 AM

I always liked him. Hes a happy guy, why hate?

glorygirl10 09-19-2007 12:27 AM

Jamie is great entertainment and not a bad poker player either. Enjoyed watching him Monday night. He is funny and seems to enjoy life.

Hotel Detect 09-19-2007 04:45 AM

I am another one that never disliked him to begin with and even defended him a few times on 2+2 after the WSOP 2006 ME...

I really think he is totally misunderstood and about 10 big name pros have gone out of their way on camera to say that they think he is a good guy.

The internet is full of hateful trolls, nothing new.

NoSetNoBet 09-19-2007 11:42 AM

He is bad at poker, and it was hysterical watching him play on this year's Main Event. He seemed baffled at why he was losing. It is really irritating to watch him play, and talk while he plays, even more irritating than Chris Moneymaker.

That being said, he is of course good for the game of poker as a whole. DUCY?

ArmenH 09-19-2007 12:09 PM

I saw Jamie Gold waiting at the Valet at the Venetian and I approached him and we had a lengthy conversation. The guy was one of the nicest people I'd ever talked to. He was all smiles and look genuinely interested in our conversation. He openly admits he's not great at poker and has alot to learn, he may come off cocky at times but the guy is a super nice guy. Give him a break.

Ishan 09-19-2007 03:37 PM

better than jerry yang imho

TheCount212 09-19-2007 05:13 PM

I still see that fist-pumping, arm-raising, open-mouthed luckbox winning hand after hand... and it still makes me nauseous.

luvinlife 09-19-2007 06:16 PM

You're right on the money there. The haters and jealous freaks out there are pitiful! Try to be sweet, whydontcha? I do believe I would not want to trade places with any of those guys. The new guys on HSP really take a beating and not many seem to realize that the show only portrays the "entertaining" parts. They can make them look any way they want by editing. We also don't know what goes on behind the scenes that causes certain people to respond the way they do. It's still been fun and I think those guys are are worth a "mil" to watch. Personally, I probably wouldn't hang out with any of them. I have my own GRID, thank you! Oh....and I love Daniel and Jamie and Mikey and all of the new guys so far! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]I love it all....the good, the bad and the ugly.

TheCount212 09-19-2007 06:19 PM

No amount of editing can erase Gold acting like a preening, self-congratulatory luckbox after winning EVERY SINGLE HAND. (Yippee mom.. I busted another one with the worst hand and another miracle card!)

FullyBoat 09-19-2007 06:31 PM

He did some stuff during his Main Event run that were very douchey and also innapropriate. In the times I've seen him since then, he hasn't been nearly as bad. Although, watching him in this year's ME was annoying at times as he pissed and moaned when his mediocre hands wouldn't flop the absolute joint. It's like he didn't understand that this is what poker is going to be like the next 499 times out of 500.

TheCount212 09-19-2007 07:39 PM

I enjoyed not seeing him celebrating. He plays way, way too many hands and goes too far with them.. kind of like a calling station with a capacity for bluffing (away all his chips, that is). It was like, "I'm Jamie Gold, and I'm going to turn this stack into a mountain starting right NOW." Um, not..

im a model 09-20-2007 07:19 AM

this has probably been brought up numerous times, but doesnt he look like he has down syndrome? seriously--like the eyes and hes kind of fat around the neck. and the matted-down hair under a baseball cap to disguise his gumdrop-shaped head? im serious, dont ban me.

El_Timon 09-20-2007 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think hes bad for the game of poker and its image in the US Govt. Mainly because of the understanding of the luck factor in tourneys was greatly inhanced by his win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally. If not just look at that Moneymaker luckbox and how bad he was for poker. And let's not talk about Jerry Yang, he will kill the game.

numbnuts007 09-20-2007 01:25 PM

Here's how I see it. We've all had those nights where we run super hot and everything is going our way. When that happens it's only natural to get at least a little arrogant, a little louder, ham things up a little more.

Now imagine that this happens in the biggest poker tournament in the world and literallly everything is going your way, that is what happened to JG.

Since then, there have been other opportunities for him to show himself and he isn't that awful of a dude. I think he knows exactly where he stands in the poker world and just because it's not at the top, it doesn't make him a bad guy.

Meech 09-20-2007 07:42 PM

Still a cud (err blueberry) chewing douche, imo.

I don't hate him, I don't know him.

But I got a small bit of enjoyment out of watching the rest of the table laugh at him.

JohnLHooker 09-21-2007 12:38 AM

Yeah. I like when he tells people his hands. That is great.

daxtrader 09-21-2007 02:26 AM

What's the big deal? Jamie Gold is awesome. He makes for excellent entertainment. He plays like a donkey and for some reason I'm always rooting for him to bust someone just to see the look on the other person's face. Imagine Jamie gold busting someone like Phil Helmuth with 2,3 offsuit or some [censored]. Who wouldn't enjoy that?

I also like all the mental games Jamie plays. It makes for great television. He admits that he sucks at poker so why all the hate for him? He's great for the game and always seems to be polite when not in the hand.

blankoblanco 09-21-2007 04:11 AM

i thought i disliked him last year, but lately i've found myself subconsciously rooting for him. so i must not hate him. i don't know, maybe i like his enthusiasm for poker. he's like a kid who doesn't really know exactly what he's doing but enjoys himself anyway

wisehandpoker 09-21-2007 05:39 AM

Sorry if this is considered spam. This is a link to the podcast in which i interviewed jamie about his year as champion, the pressures he dealt with and some things he learned through it all.

Podcast interview with Jamie

The interview seemed to have a humanizing effect for a lot of people. If the topic interests you, take a listen. It's the second hour.

ShipitFMA 09-21-2007 06:39 AM

I always liked him, but this just made me like him more

elgreenhornet 09-21-2007 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he knows exactly where he stands in the poker world and just because it's not at the top, it doesn't make him a bad guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought he was the best omaha player after playing it 5 times.
but really its funny to still see him try to validate himself to the real pros on hsp by telling silent mike about his monster hand (2nd pair w/ flush draw)