Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   This time last year.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503255)

A_Junglen 09-17-2007 06:56 PM

This time last year....

I'm writing a bio for some magazine that I was asked to be in right now. They're asking the basics...when I started poker, biggest accomplishments, etc...

This is when it dawned on me that the progression in this game is absolutely disgusting.

This time last year I was still playing $60/$114 SNG's, I had never been on a plane (besides being adopted when I was 1), and I'm pretty sure my biggest cash was like $5k or so.

I think it'd be an understatement to say a lot has happened since. I've met tons of new friends via online poker, been to Australia, Monte Carlo, London, Vancouver, Barcelona, Dublin, Bahamas, and more - probably over 15k worth of flights. Made multiple televised final tables, two $200k+ scores, and a whole hell of a lot more.

So...where were you this time last year?

gobboboy 09-17-2007 06:57 PM

Re: This time last year....

Bankroll under 30k, put up 1/3 of it for wcoop, didn't cash in a single tournament.

Clayton 09-17-2007 07:02 PM

Bankroll maybe 4k, was playing 1/2NL on own money, got backing some time later because school was depleting bankroll every 6 months.

Was still taking classes.

Played 1 WCOOP event.

Bond18 09-17-2007 07:03 PM

Bankroll like 20k, played some WCOOP, failed miserably. Was incredibly bad at poker. Back at school in Milwaukee.

Superfluous Man 09-17-2007 07:03 PM

Then: losing a flip to bust out of wpt borgata main event

Now: probably losing a flip to bust out of wpt borgata main event at some point in the next 3.5 hours.

Serious response: Was in grad school and miserable, a 3/6 NL grinder with occasional donkament scores, and I had moved down from 5/10 and 10/20 after getting crushed and being underrolled and nitty. At this point last year I was in the middle of a 50k downswing too.

Now I'm robusto, thanks staking people!

stealthmunk 09-17-2007 07:05 PM

I was actually in jail at this exact time last year.

KneeCo 09-17-2007 07:05 PM

Moved to Kingston for Law School, hating high Ontario rent + Law School tuition, fairly certain my playing peak had passed me by.

mastr 09-17-2007 07:06 PM

stealthmunk they fk u

Crazy Porto 09-17-2007 07:07 PM

first poker game on xbox live .. so much fun to look back at btw

And a few months later on Party dep 200$ and played 100NL buying in for 50 with the handranks written on paper.

what a year it was [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sirio11 09-17-2007 07:08 PM

I'm happy for you Adam, Gobbo, Bond et all. I've had the opportunity to talk a little with you guys and you seem to be genuine nice guys. Pretty impressive results these last 12 months.

Me, I was surviving variance, today I'm still surviving.

Ship Ship McGipp 09-17-2007 07:09 PM

made 20k in 20 days at 500 nl and i remember thinking how sick that was

TheNewf 09-17-2007 07:20 PM

WCOOP and FTOPS started 40K downswing of my 50K online roll (+40K in the bank from Vegas). Also, I hadn't even met Adam [censored] Junglen yet.

A_Junglen 09-17-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WCOOP and FTOPS started 40K downswing of my 50K online roll (+40K in the bank from Vegas). Also, I hadn't even met Adam [censored] Junglen yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

One year ago Sirwatts was bad luck for me.

Jurollo 09-17-2007 07:26 PM

Then: I think I had borrowed some Gobbobux to play some more mid limit MTT's after withdrawing + downswing ruined my bankroll-o

Now: About to buy a house in cash next week, as well as paying of 40k in student loans and buying a car outright, woo to zero debt!

WarDekar 09-17-2007 07:27 PM

Then: Sitting on my ass getting high all the time, doing a little bit more than the minimum to get by

Now: Sitting on my ass getting high all the time, doing a little bit more than the minimum to get by (although I have met some MTTc-ers now and have a few decent scores)

rothko 09-17-2007 07:27 PM

one year ago i was playing sngs. now i don't. i consider this my greatest poker accomplishment.

plzleenowhammy 09-17-2007 07:27 PM

the same place i am now.. busto.. actually worse than busto because of school debt (i think school could be ok if i had $$ in the bank), credit card debt (and i have nothing to show for it). i think i have a problem with laziness and lack of motivation that is causing me to just drift along and then get fn crushed when it all catches up to me.

on a lighter note, my mom is cooking some sick lasagna right now and it's going to be great. i can't believe that i'm not fat b/c i eat so much and don't really workout seriously.

g-p 09-17-2007 07:28 PM

only difference was i hadnt hung out with and of you [censored]

gobboboy 09-17-2007 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then: I think I had borrowed some Gobbobux to play some more mid limit MTT's after withdrawing + downswing ruined my bankroll-o

Now: About to buy a house in cash next week, as well as paying of 40k in student loans and buying a car outright, woo to zero debt!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you were dead when I lent you 3k of my 25k roll to play mtt's and you won the 10r like two days later. Can I have like 50% of your winnings from now on?

CharlieDontSurf 09-17-2007 07:31 PM

then: playing 50centNL and working 10-12 hour days doing bitch work for my boss in a city I didn't really like

now: playing low limit MTTs and trying to build a $T roll so I can gambool in the big buy-in tourneys, while working 10-12 hour days doing bitch work for my new boss in a city I don't like...but I'm moving in spring so it's all good.

Choosing quality of life over career aspirations FTW

Killingbird 09-17-2007 07:32 PM

Then: grinding away at $5 SNGs with my ~$100 roll.

Now: Playing MTTs almost exclusively with a much healthier roll. Had some nice high 3 and low 4 digit cashes (I know its not very balla, but exciting for me). Cashed in a WSOP circuit event and played very well in a $1500 buy in WSOP event in Vegas. Dont know how I kept myself interested playing SNGs.

rothko 09-17-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I have like 50% of your winnings from then on?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you might want to include this summer.

Highn 09-17-2007 07:34 PM

One year ago; Thinking that it would be quite cool to play 4/180's as a hobby that wouldn't cost me anything (opposed to SWG's, EQ2, CS, roleplay games, other geeky things)

Now; Thinking that grinding cash might be a cool part time job.

Jurollo 09-17-2007 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you were dead when I lent you 3k of my 25k roll to play mtt's and you won the 10r like two days later. Can I have like 50% of your winnings from now on?

[/ QUOTE ]
Can i have 50% of yours since then too? =)

Killingbird 09-17-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can i have 50% of yours since then too? =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems fair.

shaundeeb 09-17-2007 07:42 PM

I wasn't in amsterdam.

IWEARGOGGLES 09-17-2007 07:44 PM

Bankroll like 4x larger, hadn't played 100/200NL, won Turningstone, dropped out of school, had no idea what it was like to run bad.

Life still rules though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ZBTHorton 09-17-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You did the exact same thing to me. Lent me 4K, won one of the biggest 55K's ever the next night.

ZBTHorton 09-17-2007 07:53 PM

I had about a 5K bankroll. Never got it above 10K for an extended period of time. Could barely beat 1/2 nl for enough to pay bills.

Things are much different now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PsYcOsNiPeR 09-17-2007 07:55 PM

wasnt playing poker..

now: i have a $300 roll and playing sng's...to get better?

Clayton 09-17-2007 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wasnt playing poker..

now: i have a $300 roll and playing sng's...to get better?

[/ QUOTE ]

beat: u have to wait a year until u make a cool post involing a five figure score and a new sexy car

TomHimself 09-17-2007 08:01 PM

busto 4 life

Double Ice 09-17-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was actually in jail at this exact time last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

tr plz

KingDan 09-17-2007 08:07 PM

18 months ago: Kicked out of TS for being underage

12 months ago: Gave up donk'goes learned cash.
Started at 3/6, had a 30k month. I wasn't even good... just it was the tailend of party [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Few months later I put my deepstacked nit abilities together with donk'n'go skills and tried donkaments.

9 months ago: Go on by far biggest downswing, after giving 10/20 a shot. Lost a ton to splits and lifeisjust

Got bummed, decided to get really drunk one night and almost got kicked out of the house. (Degen, never listen to the 'rents etc)

Couple months later Timex offers to stake me. I decide that sounds like a good idea.

I instantly go on a stupid heater.

Now: Poker is currently paying for my college, and potentially for my sister's law school. I'm prolly gonna play a bunch of big live events.

I hope to graduate UMD a millionaire.

edit: oh yea up until like 6 months ago I was a fairly big br nit

ZJ123 09-17-2007 08:09 PM

well on sept 13th 06 i won the 162 on stars for 22k, but before that my largest cash was 587$. So i was a micro donk, who struck gold!

ASPoker8 09-17-2007 08:11 PM

Yeah, i've come a long way [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

OMG Adam's FT Sweat!

Adam has 12 BBs and AQs, ALLIN?! Dumb play?>!

OMG this is embarassing

This one is seriously LOL. <3 Timex for making fun of me, I would have done the same

plzleenowhammy 09-17-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well on sept 13th 06 i won the 162 on stars for 22k, but before that my largest cash was 587$. So i was a micro donk, who struck gold!

[/ QUOTE ]

tr plz.. this could be a cool story.

GSykes 09-17-2007 08:13 PM

Busto

Now pretty much busto

next year either cash in my luckbox for a 5 figure score ore learn to grind these cashaments.

CharlieDontSurf 09-17-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had about a 5K bankroll. Never got it above 10K for an extended period of time. Could barely beat 1/2 nl for enough to pay bills.

Things are much different now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought u were regularly pwning 200NL last year when i first started chatting with u on AIM?>

Bakes 09-17-2007 08:16 PM

I was completely busto and completely bad at poker.

Well, at least i'm pretty robusto now!