Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Why do so many people use pokerstars if they don't have rakeback? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503243)

crystalallen 09-17-2007 06:45 PM

Why do so many people use pokerstars if they don\'t have rakeback?

I'm just starting to play for money and I'm trying to figure out where to play.

I thought I had signed up on UB with raketherake but I had issues because of my previous play money account. And besides that, I play SNGs almost exclusively and they don't even count that as rake.

I can't do Full Tilt because I also had a play money account there. Any suggestions? I'd like to go to a site that I've heard of because I'd feel funny about depositing my money with a new site. Pokerstars seems solid but they don't have rakeback.

Suggestions?

ZBTHorton 09-17-2007 06:46 PM

Re: Why do so many people use pokerstars if they don\'t have rakeback?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just starting to play for money and I'm trying to figure out where to play.

I thought I had signed up on UB with raketherake but I had issues because of my previous play money account. And besides that, I play SNGs almost exclusively and they don't even count that as rake.

I can't do Full Tilt because I also had a play money account there. Any suggestions? I'd like to go to a site that I've heard of because I'd feel funny about depositing my money with a new site. Pokerstars seems solid but they don't have rakeback.

Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerStars uses a VIP system which is very similar to rakeback. This has been discussed for millions of hours on 2p2. I suggest you search for one of those threads, and read about the advantages/disadvantages.

jono 09-17-2007 06:47 PM

Stars FPP is basically rakeback
UB is horrible
real money SNGs do count as paying rake

Henry17 09-17-2007 06:48 PM

1) Pokerstars has the best customer service.

2) The loyalty program is comparable to rakeback.

3) Largest site so plenty of choice.

Alobar 09-17-2007 07:05 PM

because pokerstars is the only place right now where Im 100% confident im not going to get screwed out of my money by the people who run the site

also, they have rakeback, its called VIP

Se7enTwo 09-17-2007 07:12 PM

As a bottom-feeding .01/.02 player PS does NOT charge a rake on hands that total under $1.
Also. I DID have rakeback w/ UB & RTR.......but they don't pay back the rake until you hit $50.
I was due to hit the $50 mark sometime in December..........2022.

Personally. I am starting to like PS. If you want to enter a 45 person SNG the seats fill instantly. ($1.20)
(I DID like that UB's were $1.10....but sometimes it took forever to fill seats)

cardman 09-17-2007 07:18 PM

I don't think PS could even offer rakeback now even if they wanted to. Too many current PS players would be angry at not being able to get rakeback just like some FT players are angry at FT for not having rakeback.

Alobar 09-17-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think PS could even offer rakeback now even if they wanted to. Too many current PS players would be angry at not being able to get rakeback just like some FT players are angry at FT for not having rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, I can't even imagine the [censored] storm if stars instituted rakeback but only for new accounts.

I kinda wish they would do this just for the comedy value of it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ralph Wiggum 09-17-2007 07:23 PM

If only Stars has a system where you could get points, then convert the points into money.

Lyrrad 09-17-2007 07:28 PM

I'm the sort of player that takes months to get through deposit bonuses. For me, I'm getting pretty good "rakeback" because I'm only playing small tournaments. FPPs are pretty good in the Hundred Grand satellites.

I'm also used to the software and I've had good experiences with support. I can easily deposit and withdraw as well.

If I start playing higher stakes or longer, I may look at other sites, but I'm happy where I am for now.

crystalallen 09-17-2007 07:32 PM

Thanks to all who answered.

I signed up. I briefly looked at the VIP program. It looks like the points can be used to buy stuff in the pokerstars store and to play in tournaments. No money involved right?

questions 09-17-2007 07:38 PM

Lots of reasons to play there:

1) biggest site, always a game going on
2) easy to get money on/off and very prompt about paying
3) good customer service
4) healthy financially
5) I like the customizable tables. lol I know, dumb reason maybe, but I get tired of the same backgrounds on other sites.

MicroBob 09-17-2007 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to all who answered.

I signed up. I briefly looked at the VIP program. It looks like the points can be used to buy stuff in the pokerstars store and to play in tournaments. No money involved right?

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong if you're not a super low-stakes or low-volume player.

You can buy cash for points also. And you can use the concierge service which is pretty darned close to cash too.

There are lots of players on Stars who are getting plenty of direct-cash for the points they earn. But if you are only going to earn $20 worth of points a month then you are better off finding something in the store that interests you.

As mentioned, this has been covered in about 8-zillion threads in this very forum.

excession 09-17-2007 08:48 PM

Stars havethe best SnG's and MTT's on the net and the FPP system is ok if you are a US high-volume/medium stake+ player.

If you are a low (non-micro)stake cash player and can play the Euro sites, then there are much better options available.

illini43 09-17-2007 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If only Stars has a system where you could get points, then convert the points into money.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only...

SomethingClever 09-17-2007 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because pokerstars is the only place right now where Im 100% confident im not going to get screwed out of my money by the people who run the site

[/ QUOTE ]

lol qft

99killed 09-17-2007 11:22 PM

why would anyone play anywhere else but stars? jeez...how many ppl have to get burned?

luckychancer 09-17-2007 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would anyone play anywhere else but stars? jeez...how many ppl have to get burned?

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of you with short memories Stars has only become the site of choice with many because the UIGEA forced the #1 site Partypoker to pull out of the USA market.
Before that there were just a few random maniacs who said that playing without direct RB was better than playing at a bigger site with the aforementioned RB.
Now of course Stars has inherited the #1 spot thanks to Republican politicians and more tend to sing it's praises.

The stars 'converts' tend to be a little dogmatic and narrow in their view for my liking. However if I didn't have RB at FTP I'd probably be playing there too.

Alobar 09-18-2007 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of you with short memories Stars has only become the site of choice with many because the UIGEA forced the #1 site Partypoker to pull out of the USA market.
Before that there were just a few random maniacs who said that playing without direct RB was better than playing at a bigger site with the aforementioned RB.
Now of course Stars has inherited the #1 spot thanks to Republican politicians and more tend to sing it's praises.

The stars 'converts' tend to be a little dogmatic and narrow in their view for my liking. However if I didn't have RB at FTP I'd probably be playing there too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point is very misleading. Stars has ALWAYS been the #1 site in terms of customer service, reputation, and trustworthyness. Even when it wasnt the site of choice, everyone knew it was #1 in those areas.

I left party for stars pre UIGEA because I was sick of party's [censored] and wanted to play somewhere where I would be treated like a valued customer. For some people a % or 2 less in rakeback is worth it to know that your funds arent going to be seized for no reason, your account isnt going to get locked because of incompetence and if you do have a problem there are actual english speaking people who are very helpful ready to assist you.

So yeah more people play there now strictly because of UIGEA, but thats not really the point.

RikaKazak 09-18-2007 04:08 AM

customer service

poker345 09-18-2007 05:37 AM

31000 fpps= 500$
thats rakeback obviously.

Chargers In 07 09-18-2007 05:58 AM

i know when i'm going to get my money when i withdraw. they don't seem to lock accounts with no explanation/customer service.

jkpoker 09-18-2007 06:13 AM

Why ARE SO Many people unable to use the search function so we dont have a post like this every day. fpp are like rakeback blah blah

sharpie 09-18-2007 07:30 AM

1) FPPs
2) Lowest rake
3) No RB on FT

Henry17 09-18-2007 07:39 AM

Paradise use to be #1 and they lost that position to Party without the help of any legislation. Stars would have taken over as market leader even without UIGEA. It just would have taken longer.

Party's customer service was just too inconsistent. They would be great for 3-4 months then awful for 6.

I had rakeback on a Party skin for a while and I prefer the Stars point system.

crystalallen 09-18-2007 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why ARE SO Many people unable to use the search function so we dont have a post like this every day. fpp are like rakeback blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

Go enter "pokerstars" and "rakeback" into the search engine and see what you get. Most people don't even spell out "pokerstars" and "rakeback".

Some people do not live in this forum thereby seeing every post. Some people just arrived to this forum.

Several posters were nice enough to give me a simple answer and I appreciate that.

illini43 09-18-2007 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go enter "pokerstars" and "rakeback" into the search engine and see what you get. Most people don't even spell out "pokerstars" and "rakeback".

Some people do not live in this forum thereby seeing every post. Some people just arrived to this forum.

Several posters were nice enough to give me a simple answer and I appreciate that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe try reading a thread on the search function. A better search term would be:

-re: +pokerstars +rakeback

Check the box that shows preview results and set the range to a year.

illini43 09-18-2007 09:15 AM

I just ran the search I proposed and 52 threads came up, most of them locked (hmmm I wonder why...) This comes out to one thread per week on the subject.

BlackRain 09-18-2007 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
customer service

[/ QUOTE ]

People just don't realize how important this is until they need it. My experience with FTP so far includes them "losing" my very first check cashout in the mail. Waiting weeks for any reply by email. And now waiting weeks more for a stop payment to go through. Consequently setting up another withdrawal process, significant portions of my bankroll have now been tied up for months, with little or no explanation throughout. Honestly, even if they offered %100 rakeback, its just not worth this.

My experiences in the past cashing out off Pokerstars could not be any more different. I don't see what is more important than being able to get your money off of a site and into your hands within a reasonable timeframe. The one site in my experience that is very good at doing this is Pokerstars.

Henry17 09-18-2007 10:50 AM

The customer support is a major selling point. If I e-mail support a question I get a response within a few hours. The response actually answers my question. With other sites it takes much longer (2+ days) and usually the answer I get is just some form answer and does not address the specifics of my question.

I'm more likely to find flaws in a service then issue praise but other then having a direct to B&M bank cash-out method for Canadians there is nothing I can complain about.

crystalallen 09-18-2007 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe try reading a thread on the search function. A better search term would be:

-re: +pokerstars +rakeback

Check the box that shows preview results and set the range to a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or - all threads could be locked, the forum shut down and no new posts allowed, so that the seen-it-all lifers don't have to go through the hassle of opening some noobs post to tell them once again that This has all been covered before!

PLO8FaceKilla 09-18-2007 11:45 AM

I thought that This VIP thing applied to Sit n go players?

it only works for cash games or what?

Klinzmann 09-18-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that This VIP thing applied to Sit n go players?

it only works for cash games or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get points for anything thats raked. Read all about it at http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp/#earn

Suigin406 09-18-2007 12:16 PM

customer service, it can't be emphasized enough in times where u actually need it...

i just can't believe how far ahead stars is in this area when compared to other sites...

punkass 09-19-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
customer service, it can't be emphasized enough in times where u actually need it...

i just can't believe how far ahead stars is in this area when compared to other sites...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people who haven't played much on PS may be thinking we're just beating a dead horse when we keep saying the customer service is good...but it's miles and miles ahead of the competition. From their availability on 2+2 to their email support, there is no close comparison.

I played on paradise when they started out, then went to Pokerstars, played on Party (Empire), then back to PS. The legislation was the final blow for me to play strictly at PS, but I was already playing 50/50 Party/PS at that point anyways. I agree that PS would have become the #1 site, just slower without the UIGEA.