Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Fate of #756 by Marc Ecko (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503044)

Needle77 09-17-2007 01:51 PM

The Fate of #756 by Marc Ecko

Vote on #756

So Marc Ecko bought #756 from the online auction for $752,467 dollars(good job Mets fan). He has decided to let the people vote on the fate of the ball, the options?

1. Have him send it to Cooperstown.
2. Have him send it to Cooperstown, but brand it with an asterisk before doing so.
3. Have him put "the ball into a rocketship and launch it into orbit, a moon shot for the ages. Out of sight, out of mind." to quote the webpage.

What is everyone's opinion on this?

PokerFink 09-17-2007 02:08 PM

Re: The Fate of #756 by Marc Ecko

This is very awesome.

I don't really mind all the steroids/cheating/whatnot in sports, but I voted to brand it just because that's [censored] awesome.

Let's do our own poll.

Cancuk 09-17-2007 02:12 PM

Brand it.. not because I hate the cheating, but just because that would be so sick.

CIncyHR 09-17-2007 02:38 PM

When I was a kid my parents took me to Cooperstown every summer during induction weekend. Walking through the HOF and seeing all the memorobilia was always thrilling as a young baseball fan. I think it is disrespectful to young fans in the future to do anything but just send it in as is. Bestow it.

Case Closed 09-17-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid my parents took me to Cooperstown every summer during induction weekend. Walking through the HOF and seeing all the memorobilia was always thrilling as a young baseball fan. I think it is disrespectful to young fans in the future to do anything but just send it in as is. Bestow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to say something like this...except my version would have more cuss words. This is a really bad idea, and it's very disrespectful to more than just Bonds, it's disrespectful to the entire game.

g-bebe 09-17-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to say something like this...except my version would have more cuss words. This is a really bad idea, and it's very disrespectful to more than just Bonds, it's disrespectful to the entire game.

[/ QUOTE ]

you've lost me. what's disrespectful about giving the ball to cooperstown?

MikeyPatriot 09-17-2007 03:20 PM

It would be disrespectful to give the ball to Cooperstown with an asterisk branded on it.

Case Closed 09-17-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be disrespectful to give the ball to Cooperstown with an asterisk branded on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. I know this situation is not exactly analogous, but what if the person who caught Aaron's home run ball wrote something racist on that before it was put into the hall? (I don't know if it in the hall) Defacing this type of material is never a good idea. It's extremely arrogant of this person to do this.

And I am going to say this before anyone attacks me, I agree that his ownership of the ball gives him the right to defile it anyway he sees fit. I think he should use better judgment and not ruin a piece of history.

IggyWH 09-17-2007 07:16 PM

Bestow It

offTopic 09-17-2007 07:22 PM

[x] Hand it over to RedBean

MyTurn2Raise 09-17-2007 08:04 PM

BRAND IT

CharlieDontSurf 09-17-2007 08:12 PM

launching it into space seems pretty cool

jeramy576 09-17-2007 08:15 PM

brand that [censored]!

Degenerasian 09-17-2007 08:24 PM

<3 Bonds. It would be awful if it was sent in with an asterisk.

chim17 09-17-2007 09:06 PM

I voted Brand it.

Chrisman886 09-17-2007 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
launching it into space seems pretty cool

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted this. BTW: 3/4 of a million dollars for publicity? Sounds like a good idea, and I'm not joking. Especially if this thing gets launched into space or an asterisk branded into it. Imagine the media coverage then.

NozeCandy 09-17-2007 10:35 PM

How sick would it be if an alien life form's first taste of humanity was the Bonds ball put into orbit? He would be the most legendary human ever if we found out about it.

highlife 09-17-2007 10:37 PM

Stupid publicity stunt. There is no way anything other than #1 will be done, regardless of any voting that occurs.

benza13 09-17-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid publicity stunt. There is no way anything other than #1 will be done, regardless of any voting that occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its ever in doubt they will probably rig voting so that it does win. Just like they should, as others have said branding this ball is extremely disrespectful to the traditions of the game, which are exactly what Cooperstown stands for.

highlife 09-17-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If its ever in doubt they will probably rig voting so that it does win. Just like they should, as others have said branding this ball is extremely disrespectful to the traditions of the game, which are exactly what Cooperstown stands for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, rigged voting would go perfectly with Bonds rigged body.

benza13 09-17-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, rigged voting would go perfectly with Bonds rigged body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonds at the ASG this summer come to mind???

HajiShirazu 09-18-2007 12:32 AM

I think the existence of this ball is extremely disrespectful to the traditions of the game. Brand that shizzle and lets make sure the fans know for all time that this was not the HR record ball but the post steroid-era HR record ball.

benza13 09-18-2007 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the existence of this ball is extremely disrespectful to the traditions of the game. Brand that shizzle and lets make sure the fans know for all time that this was not the HR record ball but the post steroid-era HR record ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

Look, Aaron was most likely on greenies, Ruth never played with anyone but whites, every era has its scandals. Bonds happened to play in an era when most of the players were on steroids INCLUDING PITCHERS, so we should condemn him for this. He likely didn't take steroids until after he had already proven himself to be one of the all time greats. A-Rod has a good chance of crushing his record and is probably on HGH so lets be ready to put an asterisk next to his accomplishments too, right.

Last post on the subject, but the fact is that Bonds broke the record and someday its going to look absolutely ridiculous to see a ball with an asterisk and a record that has been broken by a couple people (cuz I'm sure someone will break A-Rod's record someday) more legitimately.

MikeyPatriot 09-18-2007 01:05 AM

Someone should break into the Hall and deface all of Ty Cobb's artifacts. It's disgraceful that they would let a self-proclaimed racist into Cooperstown.

Triumph36 09-18-2007 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone should break into the Hall and deface all of Ty Cobb's artifacts. It's disgraceful that they would let a self-proclaimed racist into Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, he's rumored to have killed a man and was a total douche on and off the field.

But hey, he didn't cheat, am i right guys?

Anyway - branding the ball is retarded. either shoot it into space or cooperstown.

benza13 09-18-2007 01:26 AM

nm, I'm done

Karak567 09-18-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pete Rose artifacts are in the Hall and he committed some of the worst sins against the game of baseball

[/ QUOTE ]

pete rose cant even hold a candle to what bonds did

Case Closed 09-18-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pete Rose artifacts are in the Hall and he committed some of the worst sins against the game of baseball

[/ QUOTE ]

pete rose cant even hold a candle to what bonds did

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...maybe you wrote this wrong. But you believe what Pete Rose admitted to doing more OK in your book as compared to what Bonds allegedly did?

Rubeskies 09-18-2007 02:15 AM

Is anybody else surprised that Bonds himself didn't attempt to win that auction?

Needle77 09-18-2007 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is anybody else surprised that Bonds himself didn't attempt to win that auction?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing to me is he has the bat, the uniform, the cleats, most likely a base or two that he touched, and maybe a few other things. The ball is cool and all, but does have a lot of the stuff.

I'd like to see the ball put into the hall in mint condition, if its branded I hope it sits on Ecko's mantle so he can show MTV Cribs. I do hope that if the ball is branded that Cooperstown refuses to accept the ball.

How childish is it to want to brand a ball? I'm amazed that people actually voted for that. Let's deface a ball, that'll show everyone that it's a tarnished record, people can't make that decision for themselves they have to see a ball branded.

Edit: Outside of the people that just want to see it cause it would be cool. LDO.

KUJustin 09-18-2007 03:29 AM

I voted for launch into space, mostly because I wasn't envisioning a spacecraft being involved. Just a really powerful baseball cannon.

MyTurn2Raise 09-18-2007 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

Look, Aaron was most likely on greenies, Ruth never played with anyone but whites, every era has its scandals. Bonds happened to play in an era when most of the players were on steroids INCLUDING PITCHERS, so we should condemn him for this. He likely didn't take steroids until after he had already proven himself to be one of the all time greats. A-Rod has a good chance of crushing his record and is probably on HGH so lets be ready to put an asterisk next to his accomplishments too, right.

Last post on the subject, but the fact is that Bonds broke the record and someday its going to look absolutely ridiculous to see a ball with an asterisk and a record that has been broken by a couple people (cuz I'm sure someone will break A-Rod's record someday) more legitimately.

[/ QUOTE ]

but those other guys didn't make the children cry

bottomset 09-18-2007 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

[/ QUOTE ]

but those other guys didn't make the children cry

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Aaron made a lot of racist white children cry

TheNoodleMan 09-18-2007 01:13 PM

Marc Ecko is a serious attention whore.

If he puts * on it, the HOF is just going to put it facing the back of the display case, ldo.

Oski 09-18-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O.J.'s busy for the near future, but I'm sure someone else can do it.

TheNoodleMan 09-18-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O.J.'s busy for the near future, but I'm sure someone else can do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interestingly enough, someone once stole O.J. Simpsons bust from the football HOF. Not that shocking though since the football HOF is a glorified truckstop compared to Cooperstown.

HajiShirazu 09-18-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW I would haven taken steroids also if I was Bonds and I don't dislike him for doing so (instead it's because he seems like a huge douche.) And I think everyone who breaks the record after Bonds will have probably taken some type of steroid or similar PED as well, at least until robots or androids or something are allowed in baseball. Really it comes down to the fact that I don't care much about the record anymore since I think Aaron would have hit about 100 more on the cream and Babe like 200 more on the cream + greenies. And the idea that hitting a homerun now is basically the same as it was 70 years ago was one of the things that makes the record (and most baseball records) have actual meaning. Otherwise records are pointless.
What it really comes down to is that since there isn't much tradition in baseball (or really most sports other than golf) to me these days, and I think the asterisk thing is pretty funny, I say do it. But what I'd really like to see done is have the ball sold again and the money donated to charity, maybe youth sports or something like that.

The Bus Driver 09-18-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What it really comes down to is that since there isn't much tradition in baseball

[/ QUOTE ]
WHAT?

vhawk01 09-18-2007 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this again.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW I would haven taken steroids also if I was Bonds and I don't dislike him for doing so (instead it's because he seems like a huge douche.) And I think everyone who breaks the record after Bonds will have probably taken some type of steroid or similar PED as well, at least until robots or androids or something are allowed in baseball. Really it comes down to the fact that I don't care much about the record anymore since I think Aaron would have hit about 100 more on the cream and Babe like 200 more on the cream + greenies. And the idea that hitting a homerun now is basically the same as it was 70 years ago was one of the things that makes the record (and most baseball records) have actual meaning. Otherwise records are pointless.
What it really comes down to is that since there isn't much tradition in baseball (or really most sports other than golf) to me these days, and I think the asterisk thing is pretty funny, I say do it. But what I'd really like to see done is have the ball sold again and the money donated to charity, maybe youth sports or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about the possibility that Babe Ruth went his entire career without facing a single pitcher who would make a MLB roster under the current conditions?

If you don't believe me, think for a minute or two about the size of the player pool that MLB drew from then and compare it to now.

vhawk01 09-18-2007 08:40 PM

By the way, it absolutely, hilariously, defies logic to think that Aaron would have hit 100 more home runs if he was playing now and on steroids. Or did you mean if he got to use the steroids and no one else did? If I had to guess, I'd say that Aaron would have probably hit 50 or 60 less home runs if he had started his career when Bonds did and used the same amount of steroids or PEDs Bonds has. I'm not sure EXACTLY how much you can deprecate his numbers based on the league being much tougher now, but its gotta be 5 or 6% at least, probably more. And if he was doing it without steroids or PEDs? Probably ~100 less or so.