Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Right handed vs left handed things (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501885)

Vehn 09-15-2007 06:10 PM

Right handed vs left handed things

This might be kind of stupid but.. why are many two handed things the way they are? By that I mean, why are the most important things done by your left hand when your right hand is the "better" hand. Two examples: guitars and game controllers. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be switched? Wouldn't fingering a guitar be easier with your right hand while you strum with the left? What do left handed people think about this? Are left handed people better console gamers than right?

Blarg 09-15-2007 06:17 PM

Re: Right handed vs left handed things

I've thought the same thing about guitars, but that's probably just because I don't know how important plucking the strings is in comparison to finding the frets.

FWIW I find guns are often uncomfortable to shoot if you want to shoot them left-handed. On semi-auto pistols, the shell casings don't clear you as easily and they are HOT. And on rifles, there is often a cheek plate or pistol grip design that makes things very comfortable for a right-hander and really uncomfortable for a lefty. (I do one-hand things with my right but two-handed like pool cues, bow/arrow, rifle with left hand emphasis.)

O Fen�meno 09-15-2007 06:23 PM

pron

Vyse 09-15-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pron

[/ QUOTE ]

Left hand >>>> right, and this coming from a righty.

silver book 09-15-2007 06:50 PM

baseball is also either if you are left handed. Unless you want to be a middle infielder.

FlyWf 09-15-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might be kind of stupid but.. why are many two handed things the way they are? By that I mean, why are the most important things done by your left hand when your right hand is the "better" hand. Two examples: guitars and game controllers. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be switched? Wouldn't fingering a guitar be easier with your right hand while you strum with the left? What do left handed people think about this? Are left handed people better console gamers than right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I'm not sure how you're holding the controller, but the right hand has the more important role in most games on most controller. e.g. Halo, the left hand controls your movement while the right hand controls both the face buttons and aiming.

Dilznoofus 09-15-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be a better console gamer than a right-hander if I had any talent. Interesting thought.

Guitars I don't understand. I am mostly left-handed in normal day-to-day activities (eating, brushing teeth, etc.) but am right-handed at almost all things athletic (except for throwing a baseball).

I learned right-handed on the guitar because I had a right-handed guitar to learn on, but I probably would have gone that way by choice. It feels right.

I think it has mostly to do with the orientation of the instrument. Maybe holding a guitar with the neck toward the left is like holding a baseball bat on the right side of your body and swinging left. Since I am mostly right-handed when it comes to athletics, this theory makes sense to me. I definitely don't feel right looking down the neck of a left-handed guitar.

Maybe too it's that the right hand is the strumming hand, which is all in the wrist/arm. If you can't throw a ball left-handed, you probably can't strum a guitar left-handed.

The right hand kind of floats over the top of the bridge too, which takes some fine motor control, while the left hand gets to wrap itself around the neck.

Side note: I noticed you right-handers switch your fork to your left hand and your knife to your right to cut a piece of steak, then switch the fork back to your right to eat it. That is so weird. My fork always stays in my left hand, and I just cut with my right. No switching required.

Twistofsin 09-15-2007 07:15 PM

Strumming takes more coordination then fingering.

jtown1010 09-15-2007 07:15 PM

How common is it to use differant hands for certain things, for instance: I write with my left hand but throw with my right hand. Why would I do that?

Dilznoofus 09-15-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pron

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Opposite hand is too much work. It feels like I'm getting a handjob from a retard.

Dilznoofus 09-15-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strumming takes more coordination then fingering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if you're responding to me or the OP. I kinda said the same thing.

oddjob 09-15-2007 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pron

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Opposite hand is too much work. It feels like I'm getting a handjob from a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why i like it. it brings back memories of when i was a counselor at that camp for special people.

Howard Beale 09-15-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Side note: I noticed you right-handers switch your fork to your left hand and your knife to your right to cut a piece of steak, then switch the fork back to your right to eat it. That is so weird. My fork always stays in my left hand, and I just cut with my right. No switching required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fork etiquette

Also: There is a scissor in my kitchen that I'd been using for years and it hurt me every time. Turns out my left-handed mom had bought a left-handed scissor so now we've got 2 scissors.

Blarg 09-15-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How common is it to use differant hands for certain things, for instance: I write with my left hand but throw with my right hand. Why would I do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

More common when you're young. Lots of kids are ambidexterous for a long time before choosing one side or the other and habituating to it permanently. I used to be able to do everything but write just as well with my left as my right.

CORed 09-15-2007 08:14 PM

It seems to me that driving a stick shift is better for a left-handed person (I'm left-handed, BTW). When shifting, you are steering with your left hand, which, IMO requires more coordination than shifting. Of course this only applies to countries where you drive on the right side of the street (so steering wheel is on the left side of the car), not to England, Australia, Japan or other countries where they drive on the wrong -- oops I mean the left -- side of the street.

mo42nyy 09-15-2007 08:35 PM

op what are you talking about? almost everything is designed for righties. Hendrix was a lefty who played the guitar upside down and backwards.Why would he do it if guitars were easier to play lefty?
Ideally you would play sports lefty and do everything else righty. I played basbeall with a few kids who hit and threw righty and did everything else in life lefty which I thought was the worst of both worlds.

Im a lefty and i always loved trying to watch a righty use a lefthanded desk in school.

oddjob 09-15-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
op what are you talking about? almost everything is designed for righties. Hendrix was a lefty who played the guitar upside down and backwards.Why would he do it if guitars were easier to play lefty?
Ideally you would play sports lefty and do everything else righty. I played basbeall with a few kids who hit and threw righty and did everything else in life lefty which I thought was the worst of both worlds.

Im a lefty and i always loved trying to watch a righty use a lefthanded desk in school.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read the OP?

mo42nyy 09-15-2007 08:39 PM

yea and i disagree with what he said
i think guitars and video game controls are easier to use right handed

Ricky_Bobby 09-15-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fork etiquette

Also: There is a scissor in my kitchen that I'd been using for years and it hurt me every time. Turns out my left-handed mom had bought a left-handed scissor so now we've got 2 scissors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man where do you all learn all this etiquette stuff? Seems so ridiculous and arbitrary. I noticed it said a left hander is not required to do the hand switching stuff, just that he's supposed to put down the knife between bites, but apparently a right-hander is not allowed in the same fashion to cut with his left hand.

Edit: Oops, posted under my brother's account. This is Dilznoofus.

darkcore 09-15-2007 09:46 PM

the 3 things i know about this:

1. jimmy hendrix was a left hander.

2. while left and right handers have at average the same iq, it is not equaly distributed. the left handers curve is more flat, so there are more retarded and more highly intelligent left handers out there.

3. h.g. wells was a left hander.

Blarg 09-15-2007 09:56 PM

Also, it was Cartman's left hand that became Jennifer Lopez and took care of Ben.

ncboiler 09-15-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a conversation at work recently. One person in the conversation throws a baseball right handed but throws a football left handed. This perplexes me.

nath 09-15-2007 10:06 PM

I'm left handed and do almost everything with my left hand. I play guitar now, and before I did I would air guitar right handed- it seemed right. But I couldn't actually play right-handed, so for real guitars I switched back to left, and that seems right now.

I also have the fork/knife thing. Cutting meat is one of three things I can do with my right hand, and I can't operate a fork with my right (even for cutting) so I just do that.

FWIW the other two things I can operate right handed are computer mice and frisbees.

CORed 09-15-2007 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but my understanding is that he played a guitar strung for a right hander turned upside down.

Ricky_Bobby 09-15-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but my understanding is that he played a guitar strung for a right hander turned upside down.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, he played a right hand guitar turned around and restrung for a lefty.

Dilz

Dilznoofus 09-15-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm left handed and do almost everything with my left hand. I play guitar now, and before I did I would air guitar right handed- it seemed right. But I couldn't actually play right-handed, so for real guitars I switched back to left, and that seems right now.

I also have the fork/knife thing. Cutting meat is one of three things I can do with my right hand, and I can't operate a fork with my right (even for cutting) so I just do that.

FWIW the other two things I can operate right handed are computer mice and frisbees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized, I throw a frisbee left handed. That and throwing a baseball are the two athletic things I do left handed.

nath, what about scissors, can openers, etc?

Edit: You should seriously consider going right handed on guitar if you're not already set in your ways. It makes things way easier when you don't have your own with you but have a chance to borrow someone else's.

wet work 09-15-2007 11:15 PM

Hendrix could play lefty and righty, with the strings either way. Normally he just used a righty guitar because there just weren't many lefty guitars around. It also gave him easier access to the tremolo bar, tone/volume controls and pick-up selector, all of which he used alot.
The fretboard isn't as accessible up near the body but he had really long fingers.

LuckOfTheDraw 09-15-2007 11:45 PM

Kinda OT, but do you guys think lefties are usually a bit more ambidextrous? If so, is it just because they use their off hand more often out of necessity or is it more intrinsic to being left handed?

nath 09-15-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nath, what about scissors, can openers, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]
Um... I think mostly left handed. I just invert the scissors or something-- I learned some way to use normal scissors as a lefty that I can't even remember. Can openers, I don't remember what I do differently because it's been so long since I used one, but I'm pretty sure I can use them.

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: You should seriously consider going right handed on guitar if you're not already set in your ways. It makes things way easier when you don't have your own with you but have a chance to borrow someone else's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah... it's been six years already. And I've tried and it just doesn't work for me- I'm wired to be left-handed. And yes, I had to start collecting because nobody ever has a lefty guitar for me to mess around with.

Klompy 09-16-2007 12:08 AM

I was really hoping this was a thread about masturbation.

bottomset 09-16-2007 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kinda OT, but do you guys think lefties are usually a bit more ambidextrous? If so, is it just because they use their off hand more often out of necessity or is it more intrinsic to being left handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked if righthanded people were more ambidextrous

I'm lefthanded with fairly reasonable ambidexterity, besides writing and using chopsticks I can do most things righthanded as well

SmokeyRidesAgain 09-16-2007 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just a stupid way of eating called the American way or something like that.

RunDownHouse 09-16-2007 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that driving a stick shift is better for a left-handed person (I'm left-handed, BTW). When shifting, you are steering with your left hand, which, IMO requires more coordination than shifting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think staying within 8-10ft of car lane requires more coordination than moving a stick 6 inches from one slot into another specific slot.

Blarg 09-16-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just a stupid way of eating called the American way or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just keeps the dominant hand in play on the central task, so is very natural.

I'll do it either way, kind of randomly. If I'm not cutting anything, the fork is in my dominant(right) hand.