Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Official August Sales Numbers (360 surges, PS3 plummets, Wii remains) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=500980)

Dire 09-14-2007 12:13 PM

Official August Sales Numbers (360 surges, PS3 plummets, Wii remains)

Hardware Unit Sales - changes over July in parenthesis
Wii 403.6 K (-21.4k)
Nintendo DS 383.3K (-21.7)
Xbox 360 276.7K (+106.7k)
PlayStation 2 202K (-20k)
PlayStation Portable 151.2 K (-62.8k)
PlayStation 3 130.6K (-28.4k)
GBA 69.5K (-17.5k)

Top 20 SKU's
360 MADDEN NFL 08 896.6K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 643.6K
360 BIOSHOCK 490.9K
PS3 MADDEN NFL 08 336.2K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 256.8K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION 218.1K
WII MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED 147.4K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 145.4K
WII MARIO PARTY 8 138.3K
PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S 127.1K
XBX MADDEN NFL 08
WII MADDEN NFL 08
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A
360 TWO WORLDS
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION
NDS HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL: MAKIN THE CUT
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR
PSP MADDEN NFL 08
NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION
360 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 08

Other Games
PS3 Warhawk w/headset= 58.6K
360 Blue Dragon = 53.6K
PS3 Lair = 46.5K

Dire 09-14-2007 12:20 PM

Re: Official August Sales Numbers (360 surges, PS3 plummets, Wii remains)

A great month for the 360 with a massive jump in sales after the recent price cut and Bioshock. The Wii is still at the head of the next gen pack by a good margin, but it's getting close. The PS3 takes a relatively large step back on the second month of its 'price cut'/clearance sale. The same month Lair/Warhawk are both released - very bad news for it.

September sales will be interesting. Halo 3 is likely to swell 360 sales further. The PS3 really needs a boost. Heavenly Sword is released in September - could that provide it? And will the Wii remain dominant?

MrWookie 09-14-2007 01:50 PM

Re: Official August Sales Numbers (360 surges, PS3 plummets, Wii remai

This is pretty interesting that the Wii, in spite of now holding the #1 console slot, is not moving that many games. I guess a lot of people [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] tennis and stick w/ that, or else the novelty is wearing off on some people.

scotchnrocks 09-14-2007 01:58 PM

I don't think Heavenly Sword will do much for the PS3. All reviews point to it being an excellent game except that it only lasts about 6 hours. Who the hell releases an action game like that for a next gen system and is like "oh, well 6 hours total gameplay should be plenty." [censored] idiots.

And don't forget PGR4 will be released a week after Halo 3. New interior views, weather conditions, pickup trucks and motorcycles should make this a pretty huge release that will probably not get much coverage due to Halo 3.

scotchnrocks 09-14-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty interesting that the Wii, in spite of now holding the #1 console slot, is not moving that many games. I guess a lot of people [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] tennis and stick w/ that, or else the novelty is wearing off on some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wii's price point has driven a lot of its sales IMO. At $250, you can take it home and get loads of replay value out of wii sports before buying any games. The next rung up would be the 360 premium (you can't really consider the core IMO) and until recently, it was $400 plus a $60 game just to get you going on a single game. Not to mention the obligatory HDTV requirement.

fiskebent 09-14-2007 05:17 PM

Don't make me feel inferior because I use a standard TV with my 360, please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gusmahler 09-14-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't make me feel inferior because I use a standard TV with my 360, please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my 360 before I bought my HDTV. The problem I had was that certain games had text that was unreadable on a SDTV. Not because of the size of the TV. I had a 36" TV. But the text shown by NCAA 2K7 was unreadable.

scotchnrocks 09-14-2007 05:30 PM

How does the 360 look on SDTV btw? Better than xbox or ps2?

Dudd 09-14-2007 06:02 PM

It looks better, but as was said, text is often unreadable, and it's just generally not as sharp or as detailed as HD. It's mostly in things like animation and polycount that it looks better, and games that are smaller scale but higher detailed, such as Fight Night, look better than games which show less detail and are further from the action, such as a football game or a hockey game.

goofyballer 09-15-2007 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my 360 before I bought my HDTV. The problem I had was that certain games had text that was unreadable on a SDTV. Not because of the size of the TV. I had a 36" TV. But the text shown by NCAA 2K7 was unreadable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead Rising had this problem as well. I wonder some game companies do most of their testing on LCDs and thus the SDTV crowd gets ignored? I can't remember many Xbox games where I had trouble reading the text.

4 High 09-15-2007 01:29 PM

Wii finally showing some kinks in its armor. OG Xbox Madden outsells Wii Madden and PS3 Madden sells 3x as much as Wii Madden. Add that to the ever declining attachment rate and you have some cracks starting to show. I suppose if they keep selling consoles they will be happy, but people sure arent buying alot of Wii games.

Autocratic 09-15-2007 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wii finally showing some kinks in its armor. OG Xbox Madden outsells Wii Madden and PS3 Madden sells 3x as much as Wii Madden. Add that to the ever declining attachment rate and you have some cracks starting to show. I suppose if they keep selling consoles they will be happy, but people sure arent buying alot of Wii games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how this shows cracks (not to mention that the lack of games was/is really the biggest crack). The Wii audience doesn't align with the Madden audience as well as the other two consoles. I think the console wars will probably have clearer winners and losers after this winter.

4 High 09-15-2007 03:43 PM

I think it helps show that most Wii owners are not the people who will buy 6 games a year. They will keep playing Wii Sports til the end of time and only buy select titles.

Big TR 09-16-2007 08:49 AM

I have a Wii and debated for a couple weeks whether to buy Madden for it or not. My holdup was having to re-learn the controls from scratch. I believe that familiarity is probably a big reason for the shortfall.

I ended up getting it. If I knew then what I know now, I just would have bought the PS2 version.

rjoefish 09-16-2007 12:10 PM

WTF, I have a SDTV and have been using my 360 on it since launch night and I've never noticed text problems... Sometimes the text is really small but I've never had a problem with reading it.

4 High 09-16-2007 05:53 PM

Try playing Dead Rising. The text is unreadable.

Dromar 09-16-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it helps show that most Wii owners are not the people who will buy 6 games a year. They will keep playing Wii Sports til the end of time and only buy select titles.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me!

I've got Wii Sports, RE:4, and MP3, and I plan on getting Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy, but don't plan on buying anything else currently.

jah7_fsu1 09-17-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty interesting that the Wii, in spite of now holding the #1 console slot, is not moving that many games.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the Wii's current library is generally unimpressive. You have a ton of games that are horrible that are cashing in off the whole motion control thing by just smattering mini-games together. The Wii right now just doesn't have a lot of good games to offer, but it is finally getting better with Metroid, Smash Bros., and Mario all there by Christmas.

PS3: Wow...just wow. And an upcoming holiday season where nothing really sticks out as must have for it. Xbox has the most anticipated videogame in history coming, and Nintendo has three of its biggest franchises receiving updates. Sony appears doomed.

ilya 09-17-2007 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean the Wii is not moving many games? Only Bioshock beat it! I mean Madden doesn't count as it automatically goes to #1 when it comes out.

ilya 09-17-2007 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the 360 look on SDTV btw? Better than xbox or ps2?

[/ QUOTE ]

From personal experience, I would have to say there's no comparison. Even on an SDTV, 360 graphics look WAY better. It's immediately obvious when you glance at the screen whether a game is running on the 360 or Xbox/PS2. Although...I don't really play sports games, so if you're into those, YMMV. I'm talking about 1st person games and racing games.

MrWookie 09-17-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean the Wii is not moving many games? Only Bioshock beat it! I mean Madden doesn't count as it automatically goes to #1 when it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but Madden on even the PS3 outsold Wii's Madden by at least triple and sold about as many copies as Metriod Prime 3 and Mario Strikers Charged combined.

Dire 09-17-2007 12:19 PM

Even more suprising is that the original XBox Madden outsold the Wii's Madden. It will be very interesting to see how games like Wii Fit do.

gusmahler 09-17-2007 12:38 PM

Surprised that Guitar Hero is still doing so well. The SKU with the guitar is nearly a year old and is still a top 10 seller.

BTW, what's the source of this info?

Dire 09-17-2007 12:50 PM

Ahhh, can't believe I forgot to mention that in the OP. These are the official NPD numbers.

MrWookie 09-17-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even more suprising is that the original XBox Madden outsold the Wii's Madden. It will be very interesting to see how games like Wii Fit do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is surprising. This could be pretty grim for 3rd party support of Wii games. If the big grade A first-party exclusives aren't tremendously even on a console that's the #1 seller, you have to wonder how much effort they're going to put into ports or 3rd party Wii exclusives. Nintendo may be printing money by selling the consoles, but Microsoft may actually be the big winner for this generation. IIRC, the games tend to be where the bulk of profits come from, so Microsoft, by capturing the hardcore gamer market, captured the market that, you know, actually buys games. Nintendo has had plenty of success selling Wiis to people who own a 360 and/or a PS3, but those people seem to want to buy a title for either the PS3 or the 360 and NOT the Wii if they have the choice for a given game that's ported to all 3. For the people who own only a Wii, they're just not into buying dozens of games, or hardly any at all.

I think things will get interesting when we start seeing sales numbers for Halo 3 vs. Smash Bros. Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock were big titles, but they pale in comparison to those first two. I'd kinda expect Halo 3 to win that battle, which is a real coup for Microsoft. If they can have the #2 console but still sell the most games, who cares if they have the #2 console? Any software developer would be most interested in supporting the 360 primarily, and tossing in Wii or PS3 support if it can be done cheaply.

dibbs 09-17-2007 05:29 PM

Mr Wookie,

Really good post.

gusmahler 09-17-2007 05:43 PM

Of the top 10 selling games, 4 are Wii titles. Yes, Madden is selling poorly for the Wii, but still, that's twice as many titles in the top 10 as the 360.

Why are people in this thread saying Wii games aren't selling?

Jeremy517 09-17-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of the top 10 selling games, 4 are Wii titles. Yes, Madden is selling poorly for the Wii, but still, that's twice as many titles in the top 10 as the 360.

Why are people in this thread saying Wii games aren't selling?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first-party titles are selling; the third-party titles aren't. The four Wii titles in the Top Ten are all first-party titles.

Wheatsauce 09-17-2007 10:24 PM

Wouldn't a better comparison be Mario Galaxy and Halo 3? Or is Brawl expected to outsell Mario?

kickpushcoast 09-18-2007 06:44 AM

id be very wary of trying to use madden in any kind of forecasting of future wii 3rd party titles, its kind of a special case/cultural phenomenon. im pretty sure video games companies arent basing whether or not they want to develop games for the wii on how well madden sells for it

MrWookie 09-18-2007 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a better comparison be Mario Galaxy and Halo 3? Or is Brawl expected to outsell Mario?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm speculating. I expect both to outsell Metroid Prime 3, but I guess Mario Galaxy might outsell Smash Bros. I'd expect Smash Bros. to appeal more to the hardcore gamer market, since it has quite a fanbase of hardcore gamers already, and with it's multiplayer, it'll likely have better replay value. Galaxy might have a much broader appeal, though, and if the Wii can capitalize on the broad appeal market it already owns, Galaxy might fare better.

AceLuby 09-18-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A great month for the 360 with a massive jump in sales after the recent price cut and Bioshock. The Wii is still at the head of the next gen pack by a good margin, but it's getting close. The PS3 takes a relatively large step back on the second month of its 'price cut'/clearance sale. The same month Lair/Warhawk are both released - very bad news for it.

September sales will be interesting. Halo 3 is likely to swell 360 sales further. The PS3 really needs a boost. Heavenly Sword is released in September - could that provide it? And will the Wii remain dominant?

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything is going to 'save' the PS3 it's going to be MGS and I would be EXTREMELY suprised if sales increased before then. And for that matter I would be suprised if PS3 bashing anywhere subsides until MGS comes out.

Soul Daddy 09-18-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything is going to 'save' the PS3 it's going to be MGS and I would be EXTREMELY suprised if sales increased before then. And for that matter I would be suprised if PS3 bashing anywhere subsides until MGS comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The PS3 already plays movies. I wouldn't think that the release of one more would impact sales that much.

scotchnrocks 09-18-2007 04:29 PM

^^^haha

Phoenix1010 09-18-2007 07:34 PM

Eternal Sonata?

Don't want to make a new thread. Anyone picking up Eternal Sonata this week? wtf with 1up hating everything lately? This seems like a pretty sweet JRPG by all other accounts. I'm gonna pick it up when I'm done with Halo. I think I'm gonna discount 1up's opinion on Blue Dragon (and any other JRPG) if this game turns out good.

goofyballer 09-18-2007 08:32 PM

Re: Eternal Sonata?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't want to make a new thread. Anyone picking up Eternal Sonata this week? wtf with 1up hating everything lately? This seems like a pretty sweet JRPG by all other accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the demo and thought it was quite fun, so I'll buy it as soon as it hits Gamestop. I've never really played any JRPGs before (I assume that refers to game like Final Fantasy?) but it looks [censored] awesome on my HDTV and it sounds like a really cool story/concept, so I'm down.

In other news, DIE SEARS I HATE YOU OMFFFFFGGGGGG!!!!! I finally find a Wii Tracker site that's like "oh yeah Sears has Wiis in stock" so I go to their website and it says they're in stock and I'm not that impressed cause I've seen this before only to be shut down and told they're actually out of stock like 2 clicks later.

However, this time they let me all the way through the checkout process, let me type in my credit card info, and only one obstacle stands between me and a Wii: The "process checkout" button.

So obviously I press it and get an error message that they're out of Wiis. [censored] YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

4 High 09-18-2007 09:00 PM

Jesus Nintendo still isnt supplying the correct ammount of Wiis?

goofyballer 09-18-2007 09:40 PM

Even the [censored] Walmart bundle is a ripoff. Wii ($250) + extra remote/nunchuk ($60) + accessory of your choice ($20) + Mario Party 8 ($50) + 3 games of your choice ($150) adds up to $530, yet the combo costs $540. I thought these [censored] bundles were at least supposed you save you $20 or something while forcing you to buy [censored] you don't need, not rape you price-wise ON TOP of giving you [censored] you don't need.

(It's a pretty decent bundle content-wise, I just wouldn't buy Mario Party 8 on my own).

EDIT: Also, just bought Eternal Sonata, will report back with results.

4 High 09-19-2007 12:04 AM

WOW. The Eternal Sonata demo is AMAZING. Its exactly what i look for in a RPG. Im not sure if i will get it now though. PS3 version will have a ton of extras but wont come out until spring. Will i even play it with Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 coming anyways? Argh and Mass Effect too.

Dire 09-19-2007 01:24 AM

Also planning on picking up Eternal Sonata. But I'm still finishing Blue Dragon - btw the demo does not do this game justice at ALL - and will also be picking up Halo 3, Mass Effect, Warriors Orochi and Beautiful Katamari. Toooo many games. Toys R Us is apparently having a 2 for 1 right now. Optimistically hoping they keep that going on for about one more month. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]