Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Week 3 College Football Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=500557)

Gregatron 09-13-2007 08:08 PM

Week 3 College Football Thread

Let the madness begin.

West VA and Maryland (on right now -- Thurs night), will hopefully stay entertaining for at least a half.

Mediocre_Player 09-13-2007 08:29 PM

Re: Week 3 College Football Thread

i must be a donk but in just 1 quarter i'm not sold on WVU being a national title contender

.... how can you win it all with that D? They're going to have a week where the offence is subpar and they'll get burned.

MiloDanglers 09-13-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i must be a donk but in just 1 quarter i'm not sold on WVU being a national title contender

.... how can you win it all with that D? They're going to have a week where the offence is subpar and they'll get burned.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be crazy when they play Louisville. I wander what the o/u will be for that game. 80?

JackWhite 09-13-2007 08:48 PM

They should have had Ray Lewis in the booth for the whole game. He sounds like a great color analyst in the making.

Gregatron 09-13-2007 08:59 PM

Maryland's offensive line is playing well so far. If they keep this up there is a chance they might be able to say in the game for a while.

NozeCandy 09-13-2007 09:21 PM

I can't wait to see Notre Dame's offense vs. Michigan's defense. Notre Dame's drives are going to be like:

3 and out
3 and out
98 yard TD swing pass
3 and out
72 yard TD swing pass
fumble
interception
82 yard TD swing pass
3 and out
interception
interception
96 yard TD swing pass

Gregatron 09-13-2007 09:25 PM

Lou Holtz: "If Notre Dame loses this game against Michigan, it's going to be very hard for them to make a third straight BCS bowl game."

Wow. Just wow.

I did not think it was possible for Lou Holtz to get any dumber.

goofball 09-13-2007 09:28 PM

BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON!!

Go Huskies! Home game against tOSU only 4 point dogs.

Pinchot 09-13-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lou Holtz: "If Notre Dame loses this game against Michigan, it's going to be very hard for them to make a third straight BCS bowl game."

Wow. Just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I think it's awesome how the rest of the analysts give him the business when he says nonsense like this. All Rece Davis could do was chuckle when he heard that.

JackWhite 09-13-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow. Just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Holtz first said that, I assumed he was joking. After a few seconds went by and I realized he was serious, I thought he just made the dumbest statement of his ESPN career. A proud day for the whole Holtz family.

Bluff Daddy 09-13-2007 10:15 PM

WTF on the camera switch during Devines last long run in the WV game? They switch to a close up shot of him as hes racing for the endzone so you cant tell wheres at on the field or where the defenders are.

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They should have had Ray Lewis in the booth for the whole game. He sounds like a great color analyst in the making.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, too, was amazed at how good Ray Lewis was at analysis

why the hell is the guy who is only on the air for 4 minutes making the most intelligent and insightful comments?
The play where Lewis called for the out after one step of the QBs drop and explained why afterward was fantastic.

I feel cheated as a viewer that I don't get that type of insight on every play.

JackWhite 09-13-2007 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

why the hell is the guy who is only on the air for 4 minutes making the most intelligent and insightful comments?
The play where Lewis called for the out after one step of the QBs drop and explained why afterward was fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Wouldn't it be great to have an analyst in the booth who actually explained coverages, patterns, formations etc... As someone who never played above junior high, I would love to have the complexities fully explained, but instead we usually get total idiots, who do nothing but tell me the blatantly obvious. I think Gary Danielson is just about the best of the current crop at actually talking about formations and coverages on occasion.

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 10:24 PM

My gosh...Noel Devine just gave WVU's offense another option

this backfield is unreal

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 10:30 PM

amazing how WVU's defense has completely taken over

also, TCU's redzone offense is making me sweat my bets more than I should

JackWhite 09-13-2007 10:33 PM

MT2R...sorry if this is the wrong forum, but what do you think of Alabama -3 against Arkansas on Saturday. I love the Tide here.

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 10:40 PM

I love the tide as well

Why did Maryland kick the xp?
They score a TD to go down 31-13 with under 6 minutes left.
If they are still trying to win, they have to go for 2 there.
I realize there is less than a 1 in 20 chance of it mattering, but it still seemed absurd.

Oh well...

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 10:46 PM

interesting that he onside kicks it down 17, but didn't go for 2....more like idiotic

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 10:48 PM

taking a sack on 4th down there is pretty bad

Gregatron 09-13-2007 10:52 PM

West Va's offense is indeed explosive, but I didn't see much consistency. That might come as the season progresses. Their defense was solid, not spectacular.

Overall, unless Maryland is a lot better than I think they are (and I don't think they are that good), I'm not sure West Va is a top 10 team, much less #4.

Needle77 09-13-2007 10:54 PM

Big East FTW.

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 10:54 PM

Maryland's solid...somewhere between #40 and #50

Berge20 09-13-2007 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We've looked terrible on offense so far. If I was a sports betting man, I'd take that line on Washington and go go go.

I've very down on our chances Saturday....but go Bucks!

Dudd 09-13-2007 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. There's a former NFL quarterback in the booth, greatest CFL player ever, and they have to have an interview with Ray Lewis on the field to get actual commentary on the game beyond marveling at how fast Slaton and White are and how much Schmitt can lift?

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 11:07 PM

wow...what a pick by Air Force!

Dudd 09-13-2007 11:15 PM

What channel is that game on?

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 11:19 PM

CSTV (college sports tv)

you can get it on www.channelsurfing.net if your cable provider doesn't carry it

MyTurn2Raise 09-13-2007 11:24 PM

game over now

TCU found a way to lose a game it was completely dominating

they were up 17-3 halfway through the fourth despite
-a fumble lost inside the Air Force 5
-an interception inside the Air Force 15
-a missed 4th and 1 at the Air Force 32

lollerskates

Case Closed 09-13-2007 11:28 PM

mt2r,

My god do you love college football.

mmbt0ne 09-14-2007 12:02 AM

I think the main reason Ray Lewis doesn't get more on-air time is the fact that he just about said "[censored]" on the broadcast, but managed to stretch it out Clay Davis-style as "sheeeeeeee" but w/o the "it."

Whatever, when he was talking about the QB he blew me away with how much he understood what QBs have to see to make a decision. He's obviously thinking on another level out there as a defender.

orange 09-14-2007 12:57 AM

GOGOGOGO GATORSSS

and go huskers too.

bernie 09-14-2007 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow. Just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone could make a BCS bowl with 2 losses, it's ND.

b

bernie 09-14-2007 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I had to check that line in my paper. They've come a long ways. Just yesteryear they were 28 pt dogs to USC.

I have a feeling it's going to be pretty damn loud.

Good thing LSU is playing that "Juggernaut" Mid Tenn St.

b

bernie 09-14-2007 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We've looked terrible on offense so far. If I was a sports betting man, I'd take that line on Washington and go go go.

I've very down on our chances Saturday....but go Bucks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kinda suprised the line is that low.

http://www.4malamute.com/images/index.8.jpg

b

Dudd 09-14-2007 02:30 AM

I think that line says as much about Ohio State as it does about Washington, a 3-2 halftime lead against Akron doesn't exactly bread confidence.

TruFloridaGator 09-14-2007 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GOGOGOGO GATORSSS

[/ QUOTE ]

TruFloridaGator 09-14-2007 08:54 AM

I hate the Vols a lot, this makes me feel good (Peyton Manning's best pass in college).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ffPZXIoAc4

Gregatron 09-14-2007 09:44 AM

I think all the discussion about the lack of real football content among announcers as it currently exists is valid. But you have to understand the audience that they are trying to reach. This is for "normal" sports fans, who are honestly, believe it or not, a HELL of a lot dumber than the people who post here. I think we sometimes forget how stupid people out in the world actually are. All they understand is how fast or how strong someone is. They don't understand the levels of the game, the nuances, the purposes of simple things like putting a man in motion. Furthermore, most of the public is no where NEAR Ray Lewis' level of intelligence. He was speaking above most of America's head. He would be a great announcer (objectively), but not be a SUCCESSFUL one, simply because the public can't handle a black guy being that much smarter than them.

Ballzack 09-14-2007 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thing LSU is playing that "Juggernaut" Mid Tenn St.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to take a shot a Les Miles and LSU here.

I think LSU put up last week against VT and now it's USC's turn.

By your comments it's obvious your a USC fanboy, but could you attempt to understand LSU's position on this thing. It get's old to have the media continually tell you your not good enough (see Herbstreit saying OU was the #2 team in the country while LSU is blowing VT out) and try to take away your BSC championship.

Plus by seasons end LSU would have played 8 ranked teams in 14 games (including SEC championship & bowl game) and a Middle Tennesse team that put up 42 points on #7 UL.

Gregatron 09-14-2007 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(see Herbstreit saying OU was the #2 team in the country while LSU is blowing VT out)

[/ QUOTE ]
Not the same guy that predicted Miami would win the national title last year?