Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Working in a hostel in Europe for a month(ish)...whats my plan? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=500179)

cianosheehan 09-13-2007 11:20 AM

Working in a hostel in Europe for a month(ish)...whats my plan?

Ok, so I've taken a very monetarily -EV decision and am going to be working in a hostel in Europe for about a month. It's in a very well known party city. It's a sweet place with a good vibe, everyone is really friendly etc. For the past 2-3 years I've been playing poker professionaly and have always missed the working environment so I'm seeing it as a fun non-committal thing to do. Plus shifts are only 4 hours long.

A lot of tail obviously comes through the doors. Some of the staff are pretty hot, but I figure my best policy is to go after guests only. This way I dont have to worry about messy situations and awry looks while I'm trying it on with people coming in and out of the place.

I've already scored a BJ on the stairwell from a 6/10 Canadian chick:)

The worst thing is definitely the fact that rooms are mostly dorms, and getting a place to have sex would be fairly difficult. I was thinking of paying extra for a single room instead of staying where the rest of the staff sleep, but this could come across as rude if they're like 'whats wrong with him that he doesn't want to stay with us'? etc etc.

adsman 09-13-2007 11:23 AM

Re: Working in a hostel in Europe for a month(ish)...whats my plan?

Why on earth wouldn't you say which city you're in? Do you think we're all going to lob in and cramp your style or something? Get the single room you mange-head. Honestly, I don't know how half of you get out of bed in the mroning.

4_2_it 09-13-2007 11:26 AM

Just make sure you do whatever the Elite Hunting rep tells you to do and I'm sure everything will be fine.

szw 09-13-2007 11:28 AM

I"m with adsman,

OP sounds retarded, how is this not 100% obvious

adsman 09-13-2007 11:30 AM

szw,

your reged date is the 6/6/6 and your post count is 1313. That's pretty spooky, dude.

cianosheehan 09-13-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth wouldn't you say which city you're in? Do you think we're all going to lob in and cramp your style or something?Get the single room you mange-head. Honestly, I don't know how half of you get out of bed in the mroning.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that straightforward. The contract means that you work for your accommodation...and all the workers are given a place to stay together. It's in the lowest priced dorm rooms, sharing with guests. So as far as I know, I dont think I could work here and stay in a single room because it may go against the contract. I didn't ask about this yet but I'm kinda certain this is the way it is because the whole thing is offered as a work for your bed type thing.

adsman 09-13-2007 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth wouldn't you say which city you're in? Do you think we're all going to lob in and cramp your style or something?Get the single room you mange-head. Honestly, I don't know how half of you get out of bed in the mroning.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that straightforward. The contract means that you work for your accommodation...and all the workers are given a place to stay together. It's in the lowest priced dorm rooms, sharing with guests. So as far as I know, I dont think I could work here and stay in a single room because it may go against the contract. I didn't ask about this yet but I'm kinda certain this is the way it is because the whole thing is offered as a work for your bed type thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth wouldn't you say which city you're in?

cianosheehan 09-13-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth wouldn't you say which city you're in? Do you think we're all going to lob in and cramp your style or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amsterdam. OP did sound a bit retarded

bwana devil 09-13-2007 11:38 AM

what is your nationality? this will obviously influence which girls are drawn to you in a hostel.

sounds like a fun time.

cianosheehan 09-13-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your nationality? this will obviously influence which girls are drawn to you in a hostel.

sounds like a fun time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irish. That Canadian bird was 1/2 Irish which probably helped

Sponger. 09-13-2007 11:50 AM

Why wouldn't you just, uh, not work in the hostel and party all day instead?

Do you really need that $10/day paycheck?

edit- I see you listed reasons for getting this job, but they all suck. you'll be over it in a week. you're on vacation, enjoy it.

cianosheehan 09-13-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't you just, uh, not work in the hostel and party all day instead?

Do you really need that $10/day paycheck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I'm actually looking forward to it in a weird kinda way. I've missed having a job over the past few years, and working with people and even having to go to work.

Also I want to stay in Amsterdam for a month or so, and staying here as a guest could get a bit boring. At least if I'm working I'm hanging out with the staff and will appreciate my spare time more.

[ QUOTE ]

edit- I see you listed reasons for getting this job, but they all suck. you'll be over it in a week. you're on vacation, enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm travelling indefinitely. I've been on the road for a month or so and want to spend some time in one place before moving on. It'd be nice to spend some time with people I know because going from hotel to hotel was getting a bit old already.

oddjob 09-13-2007 01:01 PM

dude you're young, everyone else is. i'm sure everyone will be screwing in their bunks if they hook up. everyone's probably blazed anyways.

Bikolas2k 09-13-2007 02:24 PM

amsterdam has [censored] clubs. go to prague or spain, bitch

El Diablo 09-13-2007 02:50 PM

ciao,

"staying here as a guest could get a bit boring. At least if I'm working I'm hanging out with the staff "

This is bizarre. I mean, you can stay at the hostel for a month and become friends w/ the staff if you want, except not have to clean floors and crap. Or if you get bored you could stay for one week each at four different places.

As for where to bang, well, I'm sure other staff members are banging, just follow their lead.

XXXNoahXXX 09-13-2007 02:54 PM

OP,

I'm sure once you're working there for a few days you will have access to the rooms. If a room is empty for the minute/hour/night, then go bang in it.

Alobar 09-13-2007 02:55 PM

I've read nothing but the title of your post and im responding to say

"bang lots of chicks"

Alobar 09-13-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
szw,

your reged date is the 6/5/6 and your post count is 1313. That's pretty spooky, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

close, but yeah that is pretty spooky!

NT! 09-13-2007 03:01 PM

i'm pretty sure it's super standard to bang in dorm-style hostel rooms and either hope your roomie doesn't wake up, ask them to bounce or let them watch.

otherwise your stairwell plan seems to be working fine. or a storage closet, or a shower, whatever. hostels pretty much exist for people under 30 to bump uglies in anonymous cities, so this sounds pretty easy.

bwana devil 09-13-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
szw,

your reged date is the 6/5/6 and your post count is 1313. That's pretty spooky, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

those damn europeans and their different time zones.

bwana devil 09-13-2007 03:09 PM

i think it would be fun to work in hostel for a short amount of time. he's doing it to meet people which will have a built in community of other people his same in age with interests in common and a revolving door of others to meet every night. most people living at the hostel arent going to be as well connected as someone who works there.

edit: also dont most hostels have a limit on the number of nights one can stay there?

also, excellent suggestion:

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

I'm sure once you're working there for a few days you will have access to the rooms. If a room is empty for the minute/hour/night, then go bang in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter Harris 09-13-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
szw,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8799/666za6.jpg

???

bwana devil 09-13-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
szw,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

^^haha, omg there's no such thing as a 13th month. your 2+2 is broken.

BCPVP 09-13-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
szw,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
those damn europeans and their different time zones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter Harris 09-13-2007 03:20 PM

Europe only has 3 times zones, dude. Y'all have 4 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

adsman 09-14-2007 02:44 AM

Thanks Pete, that was confusing me a bit. Actually, it still is.

Alobar 09-14-2007 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
szw,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9738/datety2.jpg

adsman 09-14-2007 03:23 AM

This is too weird. Mine still says 6/6/6. Is there an evil conspiracy going on here?

siccjay 09-14-2007 05:14 AM

Damn west coast [censored] like Alobar are late changing days

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-14-2007 06:32 AM

op,

i don't get why you would want to work there if you can just play poker and live off of that. since you played professionally for three years I'm guessing you can make more than $7/hour. do you think that being 'staff' is going to help you get girls?

Daddy Warbucks 09-14-2007 06:37 AM

From what i can remember of OP, he's been on a pretty big downswing, and wants a break from poker.

adsman 09-14-2007 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn west coast [censored] like Alobar are late changing days

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so simple, yet so dastardly!

Also, being staff will help OP get laid. He will have a valid reason to talk to girls and they to him. If I were him I'd still get the room. Feck what everyone else thinks. I mean, who cares what your co-workers think. You're there to bonk backpackers, am I right?

cianosheehan 09-14-2007 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're there to bonk backpackers, am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I just finished my first shift and it was completely fine.

And yeah I think being staff gives me extra credibility when it comes to the chicks. It means that I'm always goofing around with a bunch of people at the bar and not just trying to tag along with them which could get old.

I hooked up with a 7.5/10 English girl last night. she said that she'd really like to have sex but she hadn't really slept in 4 days and was totally wasted. So she said that she'd be here tonight too, but that could have been just an easy way out of it. I think in situations like this it's totally dependent on what happens in the moment because otherwise there's an expectancy there which can make things awkward. We'll see later on.

So far I dont regret my choice of working here. I'll give it a week or so and see how things go.

JackInDaCrak 09-14-2007 11:33 AM

pics

cianosheehan 10-02-2007 06:09 AM

update;

My initial success may have been short term variance. I have only kissed one girl since my last post. She was 5/10ish. We could have done more but she was determined not to be skanky while in Amsterdam (her own words[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]). There has been a significantly higher ratio of dudes staying in the hostel this past while. And the atmosphere has been more sombre for whatever reason.

Had a weird run-in in the corridor the other night with a hot guest, where I was giving way for her, she was giving way for me and both of us refused to move, then she finally went and she tapped my face as she walked by. Bumped in to her a couple times yesterday and I think there was def some chemistry there. She is thinking of working here so we arranged to meet today so I can introduce her to the manager. I will ask her for lunch after, or maybe meet for a drink later on.

This could be a weird cross-over against my no-staff policy, but I think it would be worth it.

Droogie 10-02-2007 06:21 AM

Amsterdam... ouch.

cianosheehan 10-02-2007 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amsterdam... ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotterdam was my previous stop. Have to say, not much going on at night. But it was a Wednesday so maybe its not fair to judge. The place we did go to (I was hanging out with a local), there was a metal detector at the door which I thought was pretty weird!

Magisastar 10-02-2007 06:49 AM

OP. Here's the thing.

Every backpacker who goes to Europe is after the same thing. Male and Female. Grow some nuts and bang a ton of chicks. And don't just restrict yourself to guests. Bang staff too. More likely to get repeat buisiness.

Droogie 10-02-2007 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Amsterdam... ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotterdam was my previous stop. Have to say, not much going on at night. But it was a Wednesday so maybe its not fair to judge. The place we did go to (I was hanging out with a local), there was a metal detector at the door which I thought was pretty weird!

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to know where to go... Amsterdam is much easier since it is mainly a tourist city and they are guided to the bars basically by the way signs/roads are set up.

Only places I can think of with a metal detector off the top of my head are Sorbonne and maybe Plan C (not sure they still have it). But I am pretty sure there are more, even though it's pretty rare.

martijn 10-02-2007 08:48 AM

I'm from the Netherlands, and I really wonder why you wanna go on holiday here.