Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What do to about people parking illegally? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=496656)

FlyWf 09-08-2007 07:21 PM

What do to about people parking illegally?

So a bunch of people are consistently parking very, very illegally at the corner of my street. Where they park they block the sightlines entirely. It makes everyone trying to turn out of my street have to laboriously creep out and pull halfway into the lane, which [censored] up the whole traffic flow. Here is an MSPaint:
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1585/junctionce2.png

Undrawn is that at least one of the parked cars is facing the wrong direction for some reason.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with trying to resolve a situation like this? [censored] notes on windshields, keying spree, hand-made NO PARKING!!! sign, call the police(I'd feel ridiculous calling the police about a parking violation)?

edfurlong 09-08-2007 07:22 PM

Re: What do to about people parking illegally?

Call the police, it's not like they have better [censored] to do. It seems like pretty normal parking for a lot of places though, are you sure its actually illegal?

holdme 09-08-2007 07:24 PM

move their cars for them

FlyWf 09-08-2007 07:29 PM

Yellow curb, I tried to MS Paint the grey/yellow break. The street I'm coming out of slopes down a little bit, so there's a longer no parking area than most intersections. Also you're definitely not allowed to face the wrong direction.

Man, I'm going to feel like such a little bitch calling the police and complaining about this.

edfurlong 09-08-2007 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Man, I'm going to feel like such a little bitch calling the police and complaining about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what they're for, don't sweat it.

_brady_ 09-08-2007 07:49 PM

This constantly occurs in Denver...you just learn to deal with it.

JMa 09-08-2007 07:50 PM

wtf? this situation is so, so standard. just let it go.

microbet 09-08-2007 07:50 PM

I wouldn't do anything as it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I'd leave a note before I'd call the police.

FlyWf 09-08-2007 07:57 PM

I'm all about letting [censored] slide(I've lived here like 3 weeks), but rather than getting used to it and adapting I'm getting more and more upset every time I find that someone has parked facing the wrong way with 1/4 of their SUV poking into the intersection. I was hoping OOT would be able to come up with something creative, but eh. I'll go back to being just mildly annoyed enough to consider calling the police but not annoyed enough to actually call them.

CrazyEyez 09-08-2007 08:12 PM

Talk to Los Feliz Slim.

miajag 09-08-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just let it go and allow people to create a dangerous situation by breaking the law? You might be an idiot.

microbet 09-08-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just let it go and allow people to create a dangerous situation by breaking the law? You might be an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow

ChipsAhoya 09-08-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yellow curb, I tried to MS Paint the grey/yellow break. The street I'm coming out of slopes down a little bit, so there's a longer no parking area than most intersections. Also you're definitely not allowed to face the wrong direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you don't for complaining to OOT about it? Call the police and you won't have anything to complain about anymore.

-ChipsAhoya

bottomset 09-08-2007 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk to Los Feliz Slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't it his wife

and wasn't it shown from satellite pics that she's just a horrible driver?

guids 09-08-2007 10:55 PM

a friend of mine had an old beat up car park in front of his house for about a month straight, so he hooked his old bronco up to it, and literally dragged it a block away into a parking lot at 3am, he said it was like a banshee screaming there was so much noise.

turns out it was his neighbors car and he was saving up to get it repeaired, he found out the next day when there were cops on thse front porch next door, and asked his dad who was talking to the neighbor what the hubub was about, his dad knew the instant he told him, but just laughed about it.

its funny, but douchey.

seriously, Id call a shady tow company, and see if you guys can work out a little deal, if they know some cops, happens all the time.

GSykes 09-08-2007 11:03 PM

get better eyes pref with xray see thru car vision

evil twin 09-09-2007 04:40 AM

This might be standard but it doesn't really make it right. I wouldn't call the police though, they probably can't and almost certainly won't help with this situation.

If you really can't live with it then you want to write a series of letters to whatever municipal authority controls the street signs or issues parking tickets for illegal parking on that street. Once you've got the name of the correct person to write letters to and you've written three or four well worded (and perfectly nice) notes to him or her the chances are something will change. Be sure to start cc'ing other people in on the letters, say the persons boss, by the third or fourth attempt.

pokergrader 09-09-2007 07:51 AM

I would write a note if it bothers you. Regardless of how big of a [censored] somebody is, nobody should ever be subjected to dealing with tow truck drivers. Those impound yards are the pits of mankind.

Yeti 09-09-2007 08:55 AM

whats the actual rule in this situ, you must leave a car length from the end of the street? pretty sure that is the rule over here.

rjoefish 09-09-2007 12:36 PM

Its really dependent on the city you live it, it can be from 10 to 30, or even more, feet from the intersection or stop sign. If they're closer than 10 feet they're def. breaking an ordinance, call the non emergency number for the police and have them come ticket them. I'd call them anyways for the guy too lazy to turn his car around.

XXXNoahXXX 09-09-2007 12:48 PM

http://www.franklinnh.org/images/Car%20Fire%201.JPG

siihp_wrecked 09-09-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what they're for, don't sweat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

runningmarvel 09-09-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.franklinnh.org/images/Car%20Fire%201.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]
winna

React1oN 09-09-2007 01:28 PM

haha

Felix_Nietzsche 09-09-2007 01:56 PM

I Don\'t See a Problem....

I don't see a problem....
There is an advantage:
*Making right hand turns is easier.
Those cars in the right lane sheild you and allow you to make right hand turns with little risk. The only way you can get hit is if a car enters the intersection and IMMEDIATELY changes lanes in the middle of an intersection. Not bloody likely...

For left hand turns it could be more of a problem but left hand turns are ALWAYS a problem. I'm an avid practioner of right-hand turns and then doing a U-turn to get going the direction I want. Since I've been doing this I've had no accidents.

Former FBI director J.Edgar Hoover forbid his driver to do left-hand turns. He was a wise man. Here is a book about J.Edgar's FBI.
http://www.amazon.com/No-Left-Turns-.../dp/0345250133

FlyWf 09-09-2007 02:03 PM

Re: I Don\'t See a Problem....

No, my MSPainting sucks. After the intersection the street narrows and loses the parking lane, even people turning right have to creep out and make everyone slow down.

Evaluate the following idea:

Broken bottles in the area you aren't allowed to park in.

guids 09-09-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, my MSPainting sucks. After the intersection the street narrows and loses the parking lane, even people turning right have to creep out and make everyone slow down.

Evaluate the following idea:

Broken bottles in the area you aren't allowed to park in.

[/ QUOTE ]

roofing nails would work better, either way, when they pull out, some will get into the street and cause more danger than the parked car probably.

if this is that major of a deal, Id call the street department, they are going to actually come up with a long term solution rather than calling the cops. maybe the will put up a sawhorse or a couple signs

daryn 09-09-2007 02:29 PM

the curb is yellow. don't people know not to park on yellow curb? i think so, but maybe not.

rjoefish 09-09-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the curb is yellow. don't people know not to park on yellow curb? i think so, but maybe not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yellow curbs just mean park cautiously, LDO.

RiverFenix 09-09-2007 02:45 PM

And red curbs are whoa, whered you get that curb at?

El Diablo 09-09-2007 02:48 PM

Fly,

Please take a pic, this is hard to evaluate based on MSPaint and description. It sounds like pretty normal city parking to me.

mrjetguy 09-09-2007 02:50 PM

[censored] the police

FlyWf 09-09-2007 03:49 PM

Sunday afternoon so I wasn't able to get the good "driver's POV" shot that I understand is crucial to understanding my complaint(as shown below there's not a real problem, there are normally 1-2 more cars behind the sedan), because I do understand that this sounds very much like a normal situation. One crappy camera phone shot of just the general level of bad parking, on Monday I'll get a better one.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5354/image005eo0.jpg

Yellow curb ends around the middle of the silver SUV.

El Diablo 09-09-2007 03:55 PM

F,

I'm confused now. In that pic, where is your street?

rjoefish 09-09-2007 03:55 PM

A pic of where the curb ends/intersection starts would be good.

FlyWf 09-09-2007 04:00 PM

My street is off to the left(!!!) of the shot. This situation isn't very annoying, just a general idea of the lack of respect for parking shown by the populace. I'm doing laundry right now, I'll try to get a shot that includes the curb shortly.

rjoefish 09-09-2007 04:07 PM

Off to the right of the shot? Now I'm really confused...

FlyWf 09-09-2007 04:15 PM

The, er, other right.

XXXNoahXXX 09-09-2007 04:16 PM

This thread is more useless thanks to pics.

FlyWf 09-09-2007 04:19 PM

I thought I made it clear that the pic wasn't of the exact situation I was describing. It just amused me that even on a Sunday afternoon I could still find multiple cars facing the wrong freaking direction.