Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How often do you check the size of your bankroll? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=492511)

insyder19 09-03-2007 07:53 AM

How often do you check the size of your bankroll?

Okay guys, I have the problem that I tend to check my bankroll all the time I am playing, like if I am doing good or not.

My friends always say that I should just do it once per week. And I noticed if I don't have the cashier window up where it updates instantly during my play I play much better, I don't really worry then.

I have 30+ buyins by the way so I should be fine anyway.

How can I start just checking once per week and not care about daily results?

VLV 09-03-2007 08:13 AM

Re: How often do you check the size of your bankroll?

I am so bad at this. I check my BR like after every pot thats bigger than 10BB. I really need to stop.

insyder19 09-03-2007 08:30 AM

lol well I am 8 tabling and I do the same, at least every 10 minutes. It gives such a great feeling when it's growing!!

TheGam 09-03-2007 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol well I am 8 tabling and I do the same, at least every 10 minutes. It gives such a great feeling when it's growing!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bankroll I assume? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Rek 09-03-2007 08:56 AM

If it puts you in a good frame of mind when its growing I don't see a problem. However, how you react when its reducing is the real issue. Does it affect your play in a negative way? Do you tilt or start worrying too much? If so that is bad and you need to stop it.

This problem I think stems from playing higher stakes than you are comfortable with, whether you are properly rolled or not.

insyder19 09-03-2007 09:35 AM

I am playing .25/.50 cents but I am used to 1/2 at least..

I don't know, it's such a bad habit.

Vinetou 09-03-2007 12:34 PM

I do the same. But I wouldn't be comfortable otherwise, so I guess it is good.

Sounded Simple 09-03-2007 03:00 PM

I check often as well its nice to see when a session is paying off.
Also if your having a bad session you can often underestimate just how bad it is if you leave it too long before checking.

Crazy Porto 09-03-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vinetou 09-03-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check often as well its nice to see when a session is paying off.
Also if your having a bad session you can often underestimate just how bad it is if you leave it too long before checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 200%.

Dallas Dru 09-03-2007 09:02 PM

i also check it every five minutes or every big hand. its just one of these thats people do. it can be frustrating when you see your dollars amount slipping away but also a good indicator that you might need to readjust your play for the session. so i think that it is up to the individual if it is a good a bad thing.

Rainclouds 09-04-2007 07:38 AM

Man I check it almost every minute. Every time when I don't have a poker decision to make, I look it up.

I'm not sure if it's a bad or a good thing, but it's just in my personality to be in full control, so I always exactly want to know where I'm at.

notreallymyname 09-04-2007 08:21 AM

I don't know how to deal with the compulsion, but I do know that it's easy to automate querying your pokertracker database for today's net (and whatever else you want to know) and to display it on your desktop at all times.

Sounded Simple 09-04-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how to deal with the compulsion, but I do know that it's easy to automate querying your pokertracker database for today's net (and whatever else you want to know) and to display it on your desktop at all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that done?

notreallymyname 09-04-2007 03:32 PM

Any of a number of ways. I currently use a python script to generate a text file, which can be displayed by all sorts of course.

Even AHK is sufficient to implement something like this.

gedanken 09-04-2007 04:41 PM

ha. I just started doing this, and thought it was a personal quirk. It looks like EVERYONE is keeping a scoreboard open.

Letting the info influence your play is bad practice, because there is a ton of obvious and subtle variance at the sub-1000 hand sample size that will throw you way off if you try to adjust to it.

I also think it's bad for grounding yourself in the money=money sense. It's easier to think in terms of chips until you look at your balance and start thinking what your hourly take is, whether you've earned your meals for the day yet...

Spurious 09-05-2007 11:54 AM

I do it only when i play bad, when i play good i dont check it.

I think it is one of my biggest leaks.
I wish there was a function which disables the cashier button while you are playing.

Vinetou 09-05-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ha. I just started doing this, and thought it was a personal quirk. It looks like EVERYONE is keeping a scoreboard open.

Letting the info influence your play is bad practice, because there is a ton of obvious and subtle variance at the sub-1000 hand sample size that will throw you way off if you try to adjust to it.

I also think it's bad for grounding yourself in the money=money sense. It's easier to think in terms of chips until you look at your balance and start thinking what your hourly take is, whether you've earned your meals for the day yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think of it as money even when I look at it in the cashier but I check it anyhow to see how much "units" I won.

ImsaKidd 09-05-2007 10:17 PM

I check once at the end of every session. I dont see the value in compulsively checking.

nineinchal 09-06-2007 09:40 AM

I play limit,and I read Malmuth's "Gambling Theory and Other Topics." I never have to check my bankroll since I learned how to never go broke.

In fact, I am getting the renovations done in my apartment on the Boardwalk in AC which I bought with the excess bankroll.

orig!naL 09-07-2007 11:20 AM

I check all the time. It really doesn't effect my decisions.

Christophers 09-07-2007 04:04 PM

Once after every session.

vixticator 09-08-2007 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check all the time. It really doesn't effect my decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

d0nkaments 09-09-2007 12:45 AM

Mine is probably worse:
I have two monitors so on the secondary one I have PT and PokerGrapher and I am constantly force imputting and then switching to grapher to constantly graph my session.

In a way I don't think it's bad, so that I can cut my losses sooner or play my rushes. Works for me.

GSykes 09-09-2007 04:59 AM

every 2 minutes while playing a session

br.bm 09-09-2007 07:34 AM

I check at the start and end of every session
(1 session = 1k hands)

TonyZ 09-09-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bankroll I assume? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope

sonneti 09-09-2007 07:27 PM

Start and end of every session + have a sick spreadsheet of all my finaces (or lack of) which gets updated weekly..

SuperSnort 09-22-2007 06:48 PM

i have a problem of having to know what it is, even though i have a great memory for numbers and know what i have in there i always have to check to make sure.

i normally play cap games, and when i do this i normally take to the table an amount which leaves an even amount off the table say br is 648.36, i will take 148.35(cant take silly number on FT) to a cap game so i know what i have off table, silly i know, but it makes me feel good

fredd-bird 09-22-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check once at the end of every session. I dont see the value in compulsively checking.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is answer is correct /thread

pureklas 09-22-2007 11:08 PM

I am a compulsive check and poker tracker. I think it's the caus eof some added stress on a losing session and really need to stop.

syncmaster 09-23-2007 01:15 AM

Wow I had no Idea how many people had my same problem. GL guys I'm trying to control myself, with no luck so far.

09-24-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
every 2 minutes while playing a session

[/ QUOTE ]

I`m the clęaner and I`m a compulsive account checker ....

Gene Paulson 09-24-2007 08:44 PM

I read somwhere that if you are making bets with positve expectation you have freed yourself from the cares of what is happening; so maybe you fellow aren't getting the best of it . always play poker with the odds in your favor(or play me) that way you can be cured of your mania and disorder these reports I may have to have sent into the Gambling problems hotline (they have a large billboard on the way to the local cardroom)many doctors use drugs to treat such illness. And what about me? I don't look because I don't have one

AirmanSpecial 09-24-2007 11:03 PM

I keep the cashier open under my tables so that the account balance is always showing between the middle-right table and the IM window in the lower right.

choccypie 09-25-2007 05:17 AM

I check before and after a session, no point in looking at my bankroll constantly, it's not exactly going to suddenly fly off somewhere.

five4suited 09-25-2007 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is answer is correct /thread

[/ QUOTE ]

The only times I look are when I'm in freefall or on a nice rush.

Shizzle12345 09-25-2007 02:31 PM

Never ever check when ur on a nice run. It really can make me tilt if i lose a couple pots and see my profits go down 30% or something. And then it ruins the session and i have to quit.

speedle 09-25-2007 02:38 PM

I don't look at the cashier, but i will sometimes check my PT stats...

Although it's not as bad as it was before (i.e. checking it every 1 minute). Now i check before the session, perhaps once in the middle and at the end.

One thing that has helped me alot @ not worrying with that kind of thing is to keep a log of my PT stats before and after every session.

P.S.- First post @ 2p2. Hello all.

Vince. 09-25-2007 03:21 PM

I'm pretty bad when it comes to this. I usually keep my cashier open at the bottom of my screen so I can see the fluctuations, and if I don't have it open I usually check it every minute or so. Even playing over rolled doesn't seem to help this problem.

One problem is that when I'm winning I tend to play more passive because I'm happy about my bankroll growing and I don't want that number to go back down, so many times I end up quitting after winning 2-3 buyins because I'm playing bad.