Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask me about Finnish military (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=491164)

testaaja 09-01-2007 02:41 AM

Ask me about Finnish military

I've now been there for like 60 days, I probably can't answer every question you guys make but I try to. I still have 307 days left of my military service so I will be wiser as time passes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Shoot me

Edge34 09-01-2007 02:45 AM

Re: Ask me about Finnish military

Finland has a military?!

MrWookie 09-01-2007 02:45 AM

So, when are you guys invading Iraq?

testaaja 09-01-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Finland has a military?!

[/ QUOTE ]
ldo
[ QUOTE ]
So, when are you guys invading Iraq?

[/ QUOTE ]
atm

Sayitloudernow 09-01-2007 02:53 AM

What is you weapon/job?

btmagnetw 09-01-2007 02:53 AM

O/U on 20 posts in this thread?

edfurlong 09-01-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
O/U on 20 posts in this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Que?

testaaja 09-01-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is you weapon/job?

[/ QUOTE ]
RK62
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...7.62_RK_62.jpg
It's based on AK47.

My job, well I'm going to corporal training next week so I really have nothing yet. I will be an instructor for petrol and such drivers. I'm in the air forces.

miajag 09-01-2007 03:09 AM

Who/what is viewed as the biggest threat to Finnish national security?

testaaja 09-01-2007 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who/what is viewed as the biggest threat to Finnish national security?

[/ QUOTE ]
What I know Russia is the main threat. FWIW I don't really think so but w/e I just do what I have to.

swingdoc 09-01-2007 03:53 AM

So when did you get done?

captZEEbo 09-01-2007 04:28 AM

Why are you in it?

testaaja 09-01-2007 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you in it?

[/ QUOTE ]
In Finland we have to serve military or do the civil thing which is 13 months iirc. Jail is one option too..
I think military is the best from the 3 options [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MuresanForMVP 09-01-2007 04:44 AM

Are there any special forces in the Finnish military? and if yes, do you know how they train?

testaaja 09-01-2007 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any special forces in the Finnish military? and if yes, do you know how they train?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes we have rapid deployment forces and such but I have no idea how they train.
We have combat divers too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] you can watch that stuff from youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=-C0cwGvG9bQ we had a series from their training, pretty sweet.
http://www.teetyotajollaontarkoitus.fi/ there's some propagand for y'all too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

adsman 09-01-2007 05:35 AM

For those of you taking the piss out of the Finnish military, they fought on the German side in WWII against Russia. In 1944 Russia invaded Finland. This was when the Russian military machine was awesome. The Finns fought them off and won their independence. Pretty impressive stuff.

pergesu 09-01-2007 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you taking the piss out of the Finnish military, they fought on the German side in WWII against Russia. In 1944 Russia invaded Finland. This was when the Russian military machine was awesome. The Finns fought them off and won their independence. Pretty impressive stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
We beat Britain when we were just a bunch of farmers and injuns and Britain was all that and a bag of chips. boo-yah.

swingdoc 09-01-2007 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We beat Britain when we were just a bunch of farmers and injuns and Britain was all that and a bag of chips. boo-yah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only with the help of the French... boo-hoo [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

HasPair 09-01-2007 07:05 AM

I served 12months and got out about 2 months ago. While servig it felt like [censored], but now I think it was good times. New friends, new experiences and stuff. Feel free to ask me anything.

Lazy Meatball 09-01-2007 08:19 AM

this applies more to Finland in General:
Did the Finnish catch alot of crap during the times of those Danish mohammed cartoons?
Does Finland have many immigrants?

testaaja 09-01-2007 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this applies more to Finland in General:
Did the Finnish catch alot of crap during the times of those Danish mohammed cartoons?

[/ QUOTE ]
We got nothing. I still don't know wtf was that about.
[ QUOTE ]
Does Finland have many immigrants?

[/ QUOTE ]
Too many.. We have nothing compared to Sweden thank god. Yes I'm evil [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

testaaja 09-01-2007 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I served 12months and got out about 2 months ago. While servig it felt like [censored], but now I think it was good times. New friends, new experiences and stuff. Feel free to ask me anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've gotten really good friends already. Well, it's [censored] anyways but when you're camping with good people it gets better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anacardo 09-01-2007 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding use of 'boo-yah' imo.

libertos 09-01-2007 09:54 AM

How much for a coffee and a jelly donut these days?

testaaja 09-01-2007 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much for a coffee and a jelly donut these days?

[/ QUOTE ]
1.2 euros [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that's the special donut with pink topping

XXXNoahXXX 09-01-2007 10:18 AM

FYI- The Finnish gave Molotov cocktails their name. Pretty badass when tanks are advancing and you start mass producing molotov cocktails.

Also, wood-fire/hot stone saunas ftw.

Pretty much all I got in terms of celebrating my Finnish heritage.

KDuff 09-01-2007 10:23 AM

off topic, but is Tero going to shape up tomorrow and win it for Suomi?

iron81 09-01-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI- The Finnish gave Molotov cocktails their name. Pretty badass when tanks are advancing and you start mass producing molotov cocktails.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was extremely dangerous. They couldn't just throw the cocktails, because its a tank. They had to climb on top of the tank (tanks have machine guns) and drop the bomb down the exhaust pipe.

Quicksilvre 09-01-2007 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Finland became independent after WWI. However, it did get invaded by the USSR in the winter of 1939-40 and fought them back without any real outside assistance, so it's still pretty baller.

adsman 09-01-2007 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Finland became independent after WWI. However, it did get invaded by the USSR in the winter of 1939-40 and fought them back without any real outside assistance, so it's still pretty baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. The Finnish Continuation War lasted from 1941-1944 and they roundly defeated the Soviets in the last major battle which led to a peace treaty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tali-Ihantala

They then had to fight another war to kick the Germans out, which they did. Baller.

MuresanForMVP 09-01-2007 12:33 PM

Here's an awesome Wiki article on Simo Hayha, a Finnish sniper.

[ QUOTE ]
Before his injury, the Russians tried several plans to get rid of him, including counter snipers and artillery strikes. Their best result was tearing the back of his coat away with shrapnel, but leaving Häyhä himself unscratched.

On March 6, 1940, Häyhä was shot in the jaw during close combat. The bullet tumbled upon impact and left his head. He was picked up by fellow soldiers who said "half his head was missing". He regained consciousness on March 13, the day peace was declared. Shortly after the war, Häyhä was promoted straight from lance corporal to second lieutenant by Field Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim. No-one else has ever gained rank in such a dramatic fashion in Finland's military history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Balla.

HasPair 09-01-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
off topic, but is Tero going to shape up tomorrow and win it for Suomi?

[/ QUOTE ]
LDO.

Quicksilvre 09-01-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. The Finnish Continuation War lasted from 1941-1944 and they roundly defeated the Soviets in the last major battle which led to a peace treaty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tali-Ihantala

They then had to fight another war to kick the Germans out, which they did. Baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'll give you that it assured or returned independence, but Finland first became independent on January 3, 1918.

I'm glad we're in agreement over the ballerness of this, though.