Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Las Vegas Shows.. Anything worth going to??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=490874)

tkkfan 08-31-2007 04:47 PM

Las Vegas Shows.. Anything worth going to???

I am going to be in Vegas late November and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good show. Looking over the list, most of them sound pretty lame. I'm not interested in cheesy magic or topless women dancing to show tunes.. I've done the whole Cirque thing and I'm not looking to drop over 100 bucks a ticket. The only thing that somewhat interested me was 2nd city, but I've done that in other towns and I've seen the Vegas show about 5 years ago when it first opened. Any suggestions would be great.. Thanks..

punisher171 08-31-2007 04:53 PM

Re: Las Vegas Shows.. Anything worth going to???

I saw carrot top at the luxor, it was a good time. 65 bucks we got front row.

*TT* 08-31-2007 04:57 PM

See LOVE if you haven't seen it anyway. I know you dont want to do the whole cirque thing, but on the bright side it wont bet $100/ticket - it will be much more.

Mano 08-31-2007 05:12 PM

George Carlin is at the Orleans Nov. 22 - 25.

NevadaKaz 08-31-2007 05:26 PM

Tony Bennet is in town late November 23/24.

Dany Gans is funny, as is Gordie Brown. Gordie tix can be had cheaply through online bucket shops at times.

buddypup 08-31-2007 05:37 PM

I have seen LOVE 3 times. I would actually not mind seeing it every time I am in Vegas......it is that good. Each time I have seen it, I got tickets different ways. 1st time, I called the box office on the day of the show, and they had some tickets that people never picked up...$75 each. Middle-ish level.
The Wynn has a great concierge service. If you stay there they can hook up anything in Vegas. Paid $150 per ticket.

Im really not into shows at all.....but i brought my girlfriend to the show, and found a new appreciati0on for stuff like this.

pig4bill 08-31-2007 05:38 PM

Spamalot at the Wynn.

*TT* 08-31-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dany Gans is funny, as is Gordie Brown. Gordie tix can be had cheaply through online bucket shops at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have to pay me to see either of these shows, the thought of them standing on stage is revolting.

cc4sc 08-31-2007 06:41 PM

You seem to already have a good grasp as to what you like and what Vegas has to offer for the most part. Others here will chime in on what they like. I will take the opposite approach and tell offer what I think you should avoid!

Le Reve is by far still the most overrated, boring, overpriced, "O" rip-off there is. How it's still running is still a mystery to me. I've seen the show 2x (only because we got comped and friends wanted to go), but it truly is a poorman's "O". It's mostly choreography (not very good at that) and very little impressive acrobat. If you must blow money to see a show, check out "O" or any Cirque show instead!

daveT 08-31-2007 06:41 PM

Isn't there a mechanic show as well? Those are always mesmorising.

What do you all in Vegas think of Blue Man?

I always wanted to see Penn and Teller. Time to head to Vegas in a month or so anyways.

MiltonFriedman 08-31-2007 06:46 PM

You could NOT pay me enough.

MiltonFriedman 08-31-2007 06:48 PM

Was`that CarrotTop, the Joan Rivers look-alike, or the New CarrotTop, all pumped up on steroids ?

Prop comics are worse than mimes.

Cactus Jack 08-31-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spamalot at the Wynn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

Stomp Out Loud is very good, too.

Rootabager 08-31-2007 07:24 PM

When I was out there alot of random ppl were rec the blue man group but I had no desire to see it. Might be something to it though.

dukemagic 08-31-2007 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Le Reve is by far still the most overrated, boring, overpriced, "O" rip-off there is. How it's still running is still a mystery to me. I've seen the show 2x (only because we got comped and friends wanted to go), but it truly is a poorman's "O". It's mostly choreography (not very good at that) and very little impressive acrobat. If you must blow money to see a show, check out "O" or any Cirque show instead!

[/ QUOTE ]
wow - this interests me. the only cirque-type show i've seen is le reve, and i thought it was incredible. if O is that much better than le reve, i will have to do that sometime.

Photoc 08-31-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
wow - this interests me. the only cirque-type show i've seen is le reve, and i thought it was incredible. if O is that much better than le reve, i will have to do that sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to go with him on this one too. I saw La Reve and absolutely HATED IT! They've changed the opening from when it first started it's run at Wynn and I had no clue wtf was going on. Then I found out later from a friend what the old opening was and it made sense, but I still hated the show.

Btw, 40 guys with shaved heads in 1 room is just a little scary.

*TT* 08-31-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll make it simple. If your the type of person who likes Stomp, you will hate Le Reve but like Ka, Mystere, and probably O. Personally I loved Le Reve, one of my favs in Vegas (right behind Love). Its very artistic and cerebral, I saw it with Barry and we both loved it.

For what its worth I didn't like Stomp. I liked Blue Man when I saw it in NYC at the original tiny theater, I guess I'd like the Vegas edition as well.

Cactus Jack 08-31-2007 11:40 PM

The tune played on the rubber tubing was neat. I didn't think I'd be entertained for 90 minutes with no dialogue and no music, but I was. In fact, the Marvelous Miss M and I are going back this month sometime. (Gotta love freebies.)

Now, if I could get another freebie to Love, I'd be in heaven. That's absolutely the best show we've seen.

I've hinted about Blue Man for my birthday. Saw them years ago in Boston. I will have to settle for Buffett in Oct. Bummer, huh?

I'm buying tix for Carlin, tho, in Nov. We've seen Bob Seegar, Clapton, and Steven Wright, this year. Love LV. lol

tkkfan 09-01-2007 12:51 AM

Thanks everyone.. I wanted to check out Love, but 150 a ticket seems insane to me.. I didn't really see anything else that interested me.. I was hoping a local would be able to give me the inside scoop on one of the smaller shows being great. I guess you get what you pay for

Professionalpoker 09-01-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone.. I wanted to check out Love, but 150 a ticket seems insane to me.. I didn't really see anything else that interested me.. I was hoping a local would be able to give me the inside scoop on one of the smaller shows being great. I guess you get what you pay for

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are into magic and dive theaters the "World's Greatest Magic Show" at the Greek Isles is fun if you can get a discount coupon. Buy the cheapest ticket. $10 to the doorman gets you front row.

*TT* 09-01-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$150 is cheep, you should be paying closer to $200.

For cheaper I'd check out Spamalot, its very good and very funny.

Moneyline 09-01-2007 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The comedy clubs at the Riviera and Tropicana give you the most entertainment per dollar. Both are better than second city. You probably won't have heard of any of the comedians, but I've never been to a show that didn't have at least one excellent comic. I go every 2 months or so and highly recommend this.

If you're on a super tight budget check out Mac King's afternoon show at Harrah's. It's a family oriented magic show with lots of kids in the audience, but don't let that scare you off. King's talented and the show has a lot of laughs. It's easily in the top half of the shows I've seen and by far the most inexpensive.

Without thinking about it much, here's some of the other shows I've seen and the what I thought of them:

Riviera Comedy Club: A
Tropicana Comedy Stop: A
Lance Burton: B
George Wallace: D
Mystere: A-
Second City: C
Mac King: B
V Variety Show: F (was at Aladdin, thinks still runs at Planet Hollywood)
I've been to a bunch of other [censored] ones that I'm forgetting...

StevieG 09-01-2007 07:40 AM

My take on Blue Man is that it's a good show, but not much different from what you would see attending Blue Man in New York, Boston, or Chicago. And all of those tickets are cheaper than the show in Las Vegas.

So, if you can see it in those places, spend your Vegas show dollar on something else.

malo 09-01-2007 08:17 AM

I had never heard of this show, but read a good review of it at another forum. It's Matsuri (at the Sahara)--here's a link:

http://matsuri.musclemusical.com/

Review I read said it was a cross between Stomp and a Cirque show, and quite good. Ticket prices range from $49.95-$99.95+tax.

Ghazban 09-01-2007 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have to pay me to see either of these shows, the thought of them standing on stage is revolting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Danny Gans for free a couple days ago and feel like I paid too much. I have tickets for Sarah Silverman this weekend but I don't think she's a regular show out here.

dizong 09-01-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a mechanic show as well? Those are always mesmorising.

What do you all in Vegas think of Blue Man?

I always wanted to see Penn and Teller. Time to head to Vegas in a month or so anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue Man group = overrated
Just Youtube those old intel commercials and you have your blue man group for free...

PantsOnFire 09-01-2007 11:50 PM

Carrot Top.

RUFFNECK 09-02-2007 01:46 AM

Anyone see that magic show with Pam Anderson?

I keep telling myself it has to be a extreme waste of coin to see it when I am out there in a few weeks. Though the attraction of Pam is actually making me consider getting tickets for a glimpse of her, which when I type it out seems really stupid.

Coffee 09-02-2007 01:34 PM

I'm surprised no one has said the Phantom show at the Venetian...which I've seen twice. If you like Broadway shows, this should work nicely.

Richter 09-02-2007 01:36 PM

Wayne Newton

DeliciousBass 09-02-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spamalot at the Wynn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't seen this and it's at the Wynn, you can't lose on this one.

otter 10-09-2007 04:36 PM

Is there someplace online that I can find tickets for cheaper than face value?

elliot 10-09-2007 04:39 PM

why has nobody mentioned penn and teller at the rio?

i have seen the show twice, and although all of the big tricks were the same, the patter and smaller parts of the show were completely different

fantastic [censored] show

WayAbvPar 10-09-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there someplace online that I can find tickets for cheaper than face value?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are occasionally sales. CDS had a "Summer of Cirque" promo this past summer where you could get seats at the various Cirque shows around town for $50 each. I managed to get Love tickets (it was the first to sell out IIRC), and enjoyed it immensely, primarily because I really dig The Beatles. The spectacle of it all was pretty amazing too, I must admit.

I stayed at the Wynn and am still mad at myself for not seeing Spamalot. Any idea if the hosts there comp tickets to it regularly?

SenatorKevin 10-09-2007 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Spamalot at the Wynn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't seen this and it's at the Wynn, you can't lose on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spamalot is a good time. I'm not really a musical kind of guy but I'm really glad I saw it. (Granted I saw it on Broadway rather than Vegas)

Bishop22 10-09-2007 05:43 PM

Where are the best seats for Love? Just get the most expensive?

MattDog 10-09-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Bishop22 10-09-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I am reading on the internets says second level is best, you do make a compelling argument tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

StevieG 10-09-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why has nobody mentioned penn and teller at the rio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Primarily, I think no one mentioned Penn and Teller because the OP mentioned specifically no Cirque, magic, or girlie shows.

Now OP did say "cheesy magic" and arguably Penn and Teller dispenses with the usual kitsch. But people seemed to avoid magic altogether.

Incidentally I really disliked the Penn and Teller banter. I even like their Showtime series, and their politics. But I felt like they went overboard with it.

They are talented, good show, but I thought they talked too much. Tough to do when only half the act talks.

jively 10-09-2007 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[...]What do you all in Vegas think of Blue Man?

[/ QUOTE ]
Blue Man Group was great. I really loved it.

Granted, I'm a big fan of modal music and percussion, and that was a big part of it. But it was also really funny.

My wife saw Blue Man in NY and Vegas, and thought the Vegas show was much better--it is more suited for a grand stadium rock show. The venue in NY was 1/5 as large, and just wasn't as good.

-Tom