Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Deutche Bank Championship (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=490815)

RacersEdge 08-31-2007 03:05 PM

Deutche Bank Championship

TW, Phil, and Veejay in the same 3some. What are the odds?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The other groups must have like 3 people following them.

TW not looking good - +3 through 5...

tuq 08-31-2007 03:10 PM

Re: Deutche Bank Championship

[ QUOTE ]
TW, Phil, and Veejay in the same 3some. What are the odds?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The other groups must have like 3 people following them.

TW not looking good - +3 through 5...

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty hot reminder.

Here is the link to online Golf Channel coverage. I couldn't get it to open in Firefox but it works just fine in IE.

FireStorm 08-31-2007 03:12 PM

I was actually JUST about to open up a thread on this, as it should probably get mentioned more than it has. As it stands, it appears there actually is something of a semi-major development, KJ Choi withdrew after todays round. If that's the case, it surely hurts him quite a bit as he's in 2nd at the moment, and Stricker shot -4 today.

tuq 08-31-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KJ Choi withdrew after todays round.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, with a back injury it appears. He only shot two over today which would have given him a decent shot at making the cut tomorrow. Must just have decided to ice it and give it a shot next week. Still, a shame to see.

FireStorm 08-31-2007 03:28 PM

Brutal. Another blow to the Fedex Cup. It also appears at the moment that Singh is +4, meaning he may miss the cut yet again.

Butcho22 08-31-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brutal. Another blow to the Fedex Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...brutal is a bit of an overstatement to say the least.

Tiger took 3 shots to get out of a bunker, wtf was that. He looks to be swinging really well though and already has his round under control again.

Phil had his usual moment on #9 with a triple that was absolutely hilarious to watch.

Cornboy 08-31-2007 04:13 PM

That triple of Phil's made me feel kind of good, since I had a very similar "into the woods, chip out of the woods, back into the woods" hole this morning.

I'm going to the tourney on Sunday, should be fun.

Butcho22 08-31-2007 04:38 PM

Plz plz keep telling me about how if Camillo makes this/that putt he's projected to finish fourth in the rankings.

Gary Stevenson 09-01-2007 12:45 AM

i went to the course today and followed the big 3 for a while. tiger hit the ball fairly well but couldn't really make a putt. vijay hit some god awful shots that were almost shanks, luckily his short game kept him from really blowing up. phil played pretty well but had a few bad breaks and looked like he made a few bad decisions. it was pretty cool to follow them around and realize like half of the spectators were watching the same group. got to also watch camillo and sergio for a bit, they both played really well

also forgot to mention, we got in for free. we showed up around noon and bc my dad had been there in previous years, he found us a sweet parking spot right in front of the course entrance. we walked down the course driveway, took one left turn after we passed through security and were on the 9th hole with no passes or tickets...it was pretty sweet

Eurotrash 09-01-2007 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil had his usual moment on #9 with a triple that was absolutely hilarious to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll actually agree with you on this one. watching Phil play that hole was pretty hilarious. watching Tiger leave a few in the bunker was more hilarious, though.

ArcticKnight 09-01-2007 01:50 AM

So VJ is tinkering with his swing - trying to take the club away more on to the inside. Funny, as most of us try to "avoid" taking it away too far inside..

Anyway, WTF is he doing. At his age, with his success, and the fact that he has hit like 10,000,000,000 golf balls, what is he trying to fix?? It seemed to me that putting was the the only weak (or at least inconsistent part) of VJ's game, so not sure what the swing change is about. Anyone know?

PS. Odd to see how with all the changes Phil has made, he is still capable of that ugly slice with the driver now and then. Kind of odd - it's not even a fade gone astray, it's just a big weak slice.

black knight 09-01-2007 04:17 AM

Props to Weir for proving why he was an acceptable captain's pick!

FireStorm 09-01-2007 11:29 AM

Not incredibly noteworthy, but a fairly relevant point to the discussion of the Fedex Cups validity. Fred Funk, #75, withdrew after a first round 76. Granted, reasoning might be serious and 76 = likely missed cut, but #2 and #75 when 70 advance are pretty damning rankings at which to withdraw.

RacersEdge 09-01-2007 12:37 PM

Wow, Phil on Phire. -7 thru 13. He must have taken his sane pills today.

RacersEdge 09-01-2007 01:05 PM

Oh yeah, Tiger -7 for the day too.

tuq 09-01-2007 03:34 PM

Wow, a lot of guys going low today. It makes me wonder if these "playoff" tournaments shouldn't have slightly tougher conditions than the average Tour stop? After all, majors tend to yield higher scoring champions than random events, and tends to yield a higher caliber champion.

If the winners the next three weeks are in the 15+ under range it's gonna make me wonder.

Butcho22 09-01-2007 05:01 PM

Definitely a better chance of some "no-name" coming from behind to win with easier course setups.

Not sure how I feel about it really. I'm leaning towards not caring though.

Bill Murphy 09-01-2007 10:53 PM

Well, Stricker made this Cup thing interesting for awhile. GG, Tiger.

BigSoonerFan 09-01-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure how I feel about it really. I'm leaning towards not caring though.

[/ QUOTE ]

bonds 09-02-2007 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure how I feel about it really. I'm leaning towards really not caring though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything the PGA Tour could do to really pump up fan interest once football season has started.

BigSoonerFan 09-02-2007 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure how I feel about it really. I'm leaning towards really not caring though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything the PGA Tour could do to really pump up fan interest once football season has started.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Phil and Tiger are battling head-to-head on the last day, I may care a bit....but other than that.

Now watching those guys after the "playoffs" trying to get in the top 125 in the last few events, that will get your blood pumping!

ligastar 09-02-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Phil and Tiger are battling head-to-head on the last day, I may care a bit....but other than that.

Now watching those guys after the "playoffs" trying to get in the top 125 in the last few events, that will get your blood pumping!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is turning into one hell of a tournament.

RacersEdge 09-02-2007 07:25 PM

Yeah, pretty good as far as drama goes - Tiger and Phil paired tomorrow. NBC has got to love that, but WTF with Baddley and his sand shot on 18? Just dumb.

Butcho22 09-02-2007 07:59 PM

I think Badds thought he was Tiger for a second there, lol.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Bill Murphy 09-02-2007 08:18 PM

Baddeley's done, Oberholser's prolly too physically creaky & inexperienced at this point, and Wetterich looked terrified after his round, like he knows the diarrhea's gonna kick in around 2am. Everyone else is either too far back, or doesn't have the firepower.

Tiger v Phil, baby. How 'bout that Fedex Cup, anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh BTW, wonder if Tiger's seen this yet:

[ QUOTE ]
Mickelson finished two shots better than Woods over the first two rounds, when Vijay Singh joined them based on playoff rankings. He later revealed that he found the secret to playing better against his longtime nemesis.

Lefty now works with Harmon - Woods' first swing coach - and says Harmon told him to look for nuances about Woods. Mickelson didn't say what they were, only that they made him laugh.

"He (Harmon) told me a couple things that he likes to do, and I was kind of watching for it, and I chuckled throughout the round when I'd pick up on it," Mickelson said after the second round. "I think that working with Butch has really helped me understand how to get my best golf when I play in the same group as Tiger. And I'm hoping I have a chance to do that on Monday."

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

ArcticKnight 09-02-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Baddeley's done, Oberholser's prolly too physically creaky & inexperienced at this point, and Wetterich looked terrified after his round, like he knows the diarrhea's gonna kick in around 2am. Everyone else is either too far back, or doesn't have the firepower.

Tiger v Phil, baby. How 'bout that Fedex Cup, anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh BTW, wonder if Tiger's seen this yet:

[ QUOTE ]
Mickelson finished two shots better than Woods over the first two rounds, when Vijay Singh joined them based on playoff rankings. He later revealed that he found the secret to playing better against his longtime nemesis.

Lefty now works with Harmon - Woods' first swing coach - and says Harmon told him to look for nuances about Woods. Mickelson didn't say what they were, only that they made him laugh.

"He (Harmon) told me a couple things that he likes to do, and I was kind of watching for it, and I chuckled throughout the round when I'd pick up on it," Mickelson said after the second round. "I think that working with Butch has really helped me understand how to get my best golf when I play in the same group as Tiger. And I'm hoping I have a chance to do that on Monday."

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gulp......Good move Phil. Have Ames and Rory told you how playing head games with Tiger has worked out for them?

PS. I actually know what Harmon said about Tiger. He said that when Tiger shakes hands on the first tee and says have a good game, he really means "I'm am going to trounce your sorry a$$ again today." I hope that helps, Phil. lol

K-Slay 09-02-2007 08:56 PM

I don't see what Phil said as trash talking at all. He was talking about his game, and didn't reveal the funny things tiger did which was classy. If Tiger wants to get mad because Phil isn't intimidated, he's a tool. But Tiger won't and Phil will lose.

shemp 09-02-2007 09:03 PM

I'd guess one of the things is how Tiger likes to walk by his opponent's ball and do an exaggerated and disdainful look down at it as he walks past to his own ball. That and working the crowd. Any other speculation as to that sort of gamesmanship?

tuq 09-02-2007 09:32 PM

I think that Tiger and Michael Jordan correlations are very accurate because of their competitive nature, they are/were both the best in their sport for a long stretch of time, and they have an inherent contempt for the opposition. This is not to knock either of them. There are other similarities that aren't worth mentioning in the context of this thread.

If Phil can gain some sort of edge from Butch, that's pretty sweet. I'm sure he needs it. What I don't get is why he felt the need to go public about it. Regardless, I look forward to tomorrow, should be good golf and IMO a Monday holiday finish is pretty sweet. I still think back to three years ago (? - three for four) when Vijay was paired with Tiger and won to take over first in the rankings.

shemp 09-02-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Phil can gain some sort of edge from Butch, that's pretty sweet. I'm sure he needs it. What I don't get is why he felt the need to go public about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

It also shows how much Tiger owns his opposition I think, that it took Bruce telling him, "You know those little things that annoy you... they're supposed to,"-- you can almost hear Phil slapping his head.

RacersEdge 09-02-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Phil can gain some sort of edge from Butch, that's pretty sweet. I'm sure he needs it. What I don't get is why he felt the need to go public about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

It also shows how much Tiger owns his opposition I think, that it took Bruce telling him, "You know those little things that annoy you... they're supposed to,"-- you can almost hear Phil slapping his head.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not liking Mickelson or Harmon in this matter much. Harmon seems a little sleazy - like the kind that would write a book giving all the "dirt" on Tiger.

Do we know the things Harmon is talking about are gamesmanship type things? I thought it would be stuff like Tiger likes to pet his driver head cover before each tee shot or something.

Bill Murphy 09-02-2007 10:37 PM

I think Harmon still has the bitters from getting fired. But, gotta give him & Phil credit for the 3-3-1 before the wrist went.

Enormous opportunity for Phil tomorrow. If he wins I put it right with his majors & his first win in '91, as an amateur.

Of course, all historical evidence points to Tiger-65, Phil-68, Oberholser-69, Wetterich-75. But, I'm as psyched for this one as I've been for anything in some time.

RacersEdge 09-03-2007 02:19 PM

Wow, tough decision for Wetterich. Looks like he would have seen the ball hit from the fairway if it had made it over the hazzard.

K-Slay 09-03-2007 02:24 PM

what network is coverage on? wasn't it on NBC yesterday?

RacersEdge 09-03-2007 02:27 PM

It's still on NBC.

K-Slay 09-03-2007 02:29 PM

What time?? Theres a Jerry Lewis MDA tele-thon on NBC in my area right now.

RacersEdge 09-03-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What time?? Theres a Jerry Lewis MDA tele-thon on NBC in my area right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MDA telethon must be on different channels becasue it's on CBS for me. The golf started at 2 PM EST. Maybe try CNBC.

K-Slay 09-03-2007 02:40 PM

CNBC, yesss thank you very much.

Butcho22 09-03-2007 02:43 PM

Just woke up...[censored]

Nick B. 09-03-2007 02:50 PM

Tiger is pissed.