Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Have you ever contemplated suicide (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=490563)

GSykes 08-31-2007 07:38 AM

Have you ever contemplated suicide

I think 95% of people have at least thought of committing suicide I don't mean getting the drugs/knife but just thoughts entering your mind.

imitation 08-31-2007 07:55 AM

Re: Have you ever contemplated suicide

thought of as in "i wonder what people would do if killed myself?" or "i think i will kill myself?"

I've thought the first not the second.

jaffa 08-31-2007 08:20 AM

I don't think i'd ever actually do it because i think it's generally pretty stupid. However i do mentally picture myself shooting myself/taking loads pills/jumping of a bridge, all the time as well as the "i wonder what people would do if i killed myself?".

adsman 08-31-2007 08:24 AM

I've never contemplated suicide. That is, until I opened this thread.

MediaPA 08-31-2007 08:30 AM

I think most people have contemplated it on some level. I was even told (well, confronted) that teachers were worried about me committing suicide in HS. I don't recall feeling the urge back then. More recently, the thought has entered my mind a fair number of times.

otnemem 08-31-2007 08:31 AM

Yesterday. Honestly. But it passed quickly.

GSykes 08-31-2007 08:32 AM

I made this thread after reading this thread

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...0&fpart=all

I was just wondering

FocusedOne 08-31-2007 08:34 AM

I have thought about it in the sense that I own several guns (hunting primarily) and anyone with the attention span and imagination I have would do the same - however, it makes me sick to think about something like that, like to the point where my stomach turns. I never would tell someone that I had a thought like that because I think they might think it actually means something or interpret it as more than it was, whereas it was just a curious thought or something and was fleeting. There is a 0% chance I would ever even consider it for .5 seconds. I love life.

adsman 08-31-2007 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if you'd posted that link in your OP and fleshed out a few of your thoughts and put some effort into this then we could have had a good OP. Instead we got a couple of sentences and a poll and I don't even know why I'm explaining this.

GSykes 08-31-2007 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if you'd posted that link in your OP and fleshed out a few of your thoughts and put some effort into this then we could have had a good OP. Instead we got a couple of sentences and a poll and I don't even know why I'm explaining this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There you have it folks

swingdoc 08-31-2007 10:00 AM

It's ridiculously normal to occasionally wonder what it would be like to shoot yourself in the head, drive off a bridge, drive into some barrier, jump off the top of a 20 story building, etc. I know, kinda sounds crazy like that, but there it is. Then there's the passive deathwish stage taht depressed people, folks grieving or whatever go through. Here they wish they would just die in order to end the pain, but have no desire to actively pursue death. This is a little worriesome, but not eminently dangerous. Scariest ones are theh people who want to die and are willing to make that happen - especially if they have a specific plan or have started gathering needed stuff like guns, etc.

Where have you guys fallen in this range? I have to admit to at least the first 2 at varying times in my life.

epiLog 08-31-2007 10:03 AM

Every morning.

kerowo 08-31-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

diddyeinstein 08-31-2007 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never would tell someone that I had a thought like that because I think they might think it actually means something or interpret it as more than it was, whereas it was just a curious thought or something and was fleeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't posting this on the interwebs contradict what you say.

Los Feliz Slim 08-31-2007 10:24 AM

If I ever killed myself I'd do it in some out-of-the-way fleabag motel so nobody in my family would be the one to discover me or have to clean it up.

To be clear I'd never kill myself, but I think having to deal with the body, etc, after somebody you loved killed themselves would royally suck.

FocusedOne 08-31-2007 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never would tell someone that I had a thought like that because I think they might think it actually means something or interpret it as more than it was, whereas it was just a curious thought or something and was fleeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't posting this on the interwebs contradict what you say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't count OOTers as people.

NajdorfDefense 08-31-2007 12:10 PM

'Everyone should keep a loaded gun in the house.

Not to kill yourself with. For those rainy, Sunday afternoons in February, so you know you're making a choice.'

XXXNoahXXX 08-31-2007 12:11 PM

I have thought it through before. How I would do it, what I'd write to people in notes. This doesn't mean much though, because sometimes I see a random car driving by and take a few seconds to mentally record the driver's face and the license plate in case, moments after passing me, he jumps the curb and hits a pedestrian and then takes off. I also spend hours thinking about how to spend lottery winnings, etc. so I don't really think about it for real.

My thinking about suicide is more motivated by the "what happens after you die" than the "i hate my life".

W brad 08-31-2007 12:14 PM

I would never want people to know that I committed suicide, so I have thought about how to arrange my death in a way that does not look like suicide.

You know: suicide by "cop", suicide by car "accident", suicide by mountain climbing "mistake", suicide by snorkling "accident", suicide by "snake bite".

Ron Burgundy 08-31-2007 02:11 PM

Lately I've been considering getting a gun for self-defense. But ironically, I'm afraid to because I think there's a good chance I'd use it to kill myself.

I've had pretty serious suicidal thoughts quite often for about the last 8 years.

Ron Burgundy 08-31-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never want people to know that I committed suicide, so I have thought about how to arrange my death in a way that does not look like suicide.

You know: suicide by "cop", suicide by car "accident", suicide by mountain climbing "mistake", suicide by snorkling "accident", suicide by "snake bite".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. Why would you care, YOU'D BE DEAD!

W brad 08-31-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't have a will. I mean, why care about who gets your assets? YOU'D BE DEAD! and why care if your wife and kids hate you for it. Dead men can't feel the hate.

Me, I might care about my reputation. I don't want to be remembered as someone who couldn't handle life and took the easy way out.

FocusedOne 08-31-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't have a will. I mean, why care about who gets your assets? YOU'D BE DEAD! and why care if your wife and kids hate you for it. Dead men can't feel the hate.

Me, I might care about my reputation. I don't want to be remembered as someone who couldn't handle life and took the easy way out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah cause all those people who go out from "suicide by cop"
are remembered fondly...

W brad 08-31-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah cause all those people who go out from "suicide by cop"
are remembered fondly...

[/ QUOTE ]

They are remembered as martyrs, done in by the man.

Free Mumia!!1!

Quicksilvre 08-31-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only does it have a major impact upon how your family views you in death, it can have a profound affect on whether your life insurance company has to pay up.

I gotta say though, suicide-by-cop is just ridiculous.

Ron Burgundy 08-31-2007 02:42 PM

How many people have life insurance?

otnemem 08-31-2007 02:44 PM

Suicide by anyone who's not you is ridiculous. You know how scarring it must be for the unfortunate subway conductor who gets to see some [censored] splatter all over the front of his train?

Los Feliz Slim 08-31-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My life insurance actually pays off if I kill myself as long as it's at least two years after the policy begins!

otnemem 08-31-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Many full-time jobs offer a life-insurance plan. The last three companies I worked for...

Quicksilvre 08-31-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking for a percentage? I'm not sure, but Wikipedia puts the total of life insurance policies in the US at $500 billion.

FocusedOne 08-31-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suicide by anyone who's not you is ridiculous. You know how scarring it must be for the unfortunate subway conductor who gets to see some [censored] splatter all over the front of his train?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would not bother me in the least. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if I were a cop and someone wanted to go out from "suicide by cop".

otnemem 08-31-2007 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would not bother me in the least. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if I were a cop and someone wanted to go out from "suicide by cop".

[/ QUOTE ]
And you can say that because... you've killed someone before? Exactly.

FocusedOne 08-31-2007 02:54 PM

Trust me. I'd sleep like a baby.

FlyWf 08-31-2007 03:11 PM

Like every full time job has life insurance. It might even be government mandated, because I remember at my last job I got to pick between twice my annual income for free or $50k worth with the company returning the difference.

I picked the $50k and got an extra 16 cents every check.

I've thought about it, but my logic center is too strong. If I really, really, really hated my life I'd definitely rather go on a 5 state crime spree(with frequent hooker and blow breaks, no condom ldo) until I got caught or died rather than just eat a bullet now. I can always kill myself later, there are hedonistic pleasures to enjoy today.

Kimbell175113 08-31-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever contemplated suicide?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

My thousandth post, ladies and gentlemen.

W brad 08-31-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever contemplated suicide?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

My thousandth post, ladies and gentlemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. But now you have nothing else to live for. So what will it be: gun, pills, rope, carbon monoxide?

Madman Madman 08-31-2007 04:11 PM

suicide lol

Ron Burgundy 08-31-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking for a percentage? I'm not sure, but Wikipedia puts the total of life insurance policies in the US at $500 billion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I was under the impression that only people who have very risky jobs/lives would bother to get life insurance.

swingdoc 08-31-2007 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I was under the impression that only people who have very risky jobs/lives would bother to get life insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those folks and anyone with young kids. Oh, and single income families as long as they make decent money.

Jailblazers 09-03-2007 11:18 PM

Once yea. But, sometimes I become really curious about the afterlife, is it better, worse, non-existent? Just to let you know, I would never ever actually go through with that because there are too many good things in life. But at the same time, you could find the answer to that question any second of any day, and you will either end up in a better/more interesting place, or you will just be wiped out and would never know of anything, which is painless.