Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Just bought a car. Can I take it back?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=490238)

hoff21 08-30-2007 08:46 PM

Just bought a car. Can I take it back??

I just bought a car late last night. I traded my other car in, which looks good and ran fine in and got raped. I'm still sore from the events last night and realized this morning that I can't afford or really want the one I bought. What do you guys suggest? Lie about how it runs? Tell the truth? Shuddup and learn a lesson? I'm sure I'm screwed but I wonder what others have done when this has happened to them.

El Diablo 08-30-2007 08:54 PM

Re: Just bought a car. Can I take it back??

hoff,

More details, please.

danjohncochane 08-30-2007 09:01 PM

PICTURES PLS

hoff21 08-30-2007 09:04 PM

I cut a down payment check of 9k (which still hasn't been cashed yet) and financed another 14k. The car actually runs fine, it's just when I got home I situated my finances and realize that my fixed expenses are higher than my income (impulse buyer obv). Really regretting it. I would think that others have had experiences or maybe know somebody whose wife flipped out after he brought home a BMW (which is what I bought BTW)? I could maybe still stop payment on check, but I'm sure the consequences on that wouldn't be good.

hoff21 08-30-2007 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PICTURES PLS

[/ QUOTE ]

BMW 2003 325i.

foxw00ds player 08-30-2007 09:07 PM

3 day buyers remorse in nys not sure about where you live

Los Feliz Slim 08-30-2007 09:08 PM

Google for consumer affairs information for your state, I think in some states you can bring car back within three days. Did you buy it from a dealer I hope?

hoff21 08-30-2007 09:09 PM

TY foxwoods. I live in NV, I'll see if I can find anything.

JasonK 08-30-2007 09:10 PM

You're SOL unless the dealer has a return policy. NV law does not have a cooling off period.

wtf6192002 08-30-2007 09:12 PM

There is no cooling off period in CA either. You must make more money.

El Diablo 08-30-2007 09:14 PM

OP,

Sounds like you're screwed, but I do think it's a pretty sweet degen move to impulse buy a car before checking to see if you can afford the payments.

hoff21 08-30-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

Sounds like you're screwed, but I do think it's a pretty sweet degen move to impulse buy a car before checking to see if you can afford the payments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, drove by the lot and stopped to take a look. 3 hours later I'm in the poor house with a beamer. If only I woulda taken the long way home [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Duke 08-30-2007 09:27 PM

I find it fascinating that you could write a check for $9k (assuming it's good) but you can't afford payments on a $14k loan.

goofball 08-30-2007 09:28 PM

Is poker a viable income supplement?

slickpoppa 08-30-2007 09:29 PM

Buy gap insurance. Park the car in the ghetto with the windows rolled down and the keys on the front seat. Collect insurance money.

hoff21 08-30-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it fascinating that you could write a check for $9k (assuming it's good) but you can't afford payments on a $14k loan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the check is good. My rent is really high and combined with other bills = me being in over my head. I could have had less of a down payment and financed more I guess but I was thinking the way I did it was the more fruitful way.

Duke 08-30-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the check is good. My rent is really high and combined with other bills = me being in over my head. I could have had less of a down payment and financed more I guess but I was thinking the way I did it was the more fruitful way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK. That's cool. I figured that the typical American had $500 in the bank and $4k worth of bills every month, so found it weird that you'd acquire $9k with a fairly small (within a few hundred of your previous nut) income and a tendency to impulse buy cars.

boscoboy 08-30-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy gap insurance. Park the car in the ghetto with the windows rolled down and the keys on the front seat. Collect insurance money.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at needing gap insurance if you put 9K cash down - gap covers LTV in excess of 100%

hoff21 08-30-2007 10:04 PM

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm rooting against a bank financing me (kinda sick).

Butcho22 08-30-2007 10:16 PM

Go to the dealership and explain to them you have to return the car because you can't afford it.... offer them ~$500 for their trouble, and promise to buy a car from them when you can afford it which will likely be very soon.

hoff21 08-30-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to the dealership and explain to them you have to return the car because you can't afford it.... offer them ~$500 for their trouble, and promise to buy a car from them when you can afford it which will likely be very soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth a shot. At worst I'll be humiliated. However, I'm guessing this happens quite often (at least I'm hoping there are others like me).

icepick 08-31-2007 12:22 AM

Life is a harsh teacher. First she tests, then she teaches.

Learn your lesson over and over again every month when you write that check out to BMW.

hoff21 08-31-2007 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth a shot. At worst I'll be humiliated. However, I'm guessing this happens quite often (at least I'm hoping there are others like me).

[/ QUOTE ]

Gave it a try to no avail. At least I wasn't as embarrased as I thought I'd be.

ImsaKidd 08-31-2007 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK. That's cool. I figured that the typical American had $500 in the bank and $4k worth of bills every month, so found it weird that you'd acquire $9k with a fairly small (within a few hundred of your previous nut) income and a tendency to impulse buy cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this accurate? Very sad if true.

SpaceAce 08-31-2007 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Life is a harsh teacher. First she tests, then she teaches.

Learn your lesson over and over again every month when you write that check out to BMW.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a case that was the newspapers ten or fifteen years ago. As part of a sentence handed down to a drunk driver who had killed someone, a judge required the drunk driver to write a $1 check every week to the family of the person the driver had killed. I don't know if that turned out to be enforceable or not, but I thought it was pretty wicked.

SpaceAce

cameronw01 08-31-2007 07:20 AM

If it makes you sound any better, it sounds like the car will be reasonably comfortable when you're living in it.

z28dreams 08-31-2007 07:22 AM

I think the bigger problem here is that the car is worth around $18k (edmunds TMV, 325ci coupe, 50k miles, average condition), and you paid 23k.

There's obviously a little bit of a difference because of tax/other fees, but you still probably overpaid by at least 3-4k. Going private instead of through a dealer would have saved ANOTHER 3k or so, putting you at around 6000 over what this car should have cost.

bwana devil 08-31-2007 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gave it a try to no avail. At least I wasn't as embarrased as I thought I'd be.

[/ QUOTE ]

change the theme of thread in order to feel better. turn it into a brag and post pics of your ride.

nsdjoe 08-31-2007 10:40 AM

Sell it private party and eat the difference? Chalk it up to a life lesson?

pepper123 08-31-2007 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very sad you didn't realize that this is so true [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I thought most people learned this in middle school. I guess not though, which is why it continues to happen.

Fast Food Knight 08-31-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

canis582 08-31-2007 11:03 AM

U suck suck suck. But they suck more for giving you the loan which they may not collect on.

IlliniLou 08-31-2007 11:10 AM

F that, sell all your assets and get as much cash as possible and drive your sweet ride across the border and skip town and change your name to Pablo

nsdjoe 08-31-2007 11:13 AM

Also, never buy a BMW out of warranty.

New001 08-31-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't own one, but why not?

LetItBe 08-31-2007 11:26 AM

They cost a ton of money to repair.

lvalntin99 08-31-2007 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am buying a car this weekend. I will give you 15k for yours.

Duke 08-31-2007 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no numbers to back this up at all, but it feels right to me. People here typically think they can afford whatever someone else will loan them money to buy. It's pretty sick, and a decent piece of our economy is driven by consumer debt.

LetItBe 08-31-2007 11:50 AM

Are these the same sort of stats as "the average American has $9k in credit card debt?" Because that is certainly not true and yet that number is tossed around all the time (and used incorrectly).

'Chair 08-31-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't own one, but why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

when the bulb burns out in the headlight and you are ponying up $100 for the replacement...that's why