Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Tiger Woods 08 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=489998)

scotchnrocks 08-30-2007 03:15 PM

Tiger Woods 08

Anybody got this? I was going to get it for the 360 but the reviews are pretty bad.

danvh 08-30-2007 04:01 PM

Re: Tiger Woods 08

I got it for 360. Its pretty good. Some new courses and side games. The gameface thing doesnt work at all yet (unless you have the webcam thing it seems) and there seems to be a few bugs. Might have rushed it out a bit to soon. But otherwise its pretty much similar to other years..

Butnahhhhh 08-30-2007 07:38 PM

got the game on tuesday and I like it a lot. The game isnt the bomb and birdie type games in the past. The game requires a lot more course strategy, and slices and hooks are common if one doesnt swing back and through straightly.

samwallistea 08-30-2007 10:22 PM

Is online mode decent?

gfire3245 08-31-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is online mode decent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive read online is really smooth and not bad.

There a demo of this game on XBL check it out.

If you own 07 i suggest not buying 08 just from playing the demo. Its is basically the same game.

samwallistea 08-31-2007 10:02 AM

I got the demo seemed quite smart, I was gonna buy 07 but decided not to, havent played Tiger Woods since the 2006 version so I'm quite tempted by this offering, and I do love a good online game

4 High 08-31-2007 11:22 AM

I used to love this series back in 05/06 but i have not played it in a while. Does it really suck now? Whats the best next gen system to get it for?

Perplexity 08-31-2007 11:48 AM

The reviews are not "pretty bad":

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...woodspgatour08

OrigamiSensei 08-31-2007 04:22 PM

Honestly I'll be happy if they just get rid of some of the glitches that drive me crazy in the Wii version of '07. The one I hate most is on pitches. I'm spinning the shot backwards for all it's worth, the ball looks like it's about to stop and then shoots forward some ridiculous distance. It's just not physically possible for the ball to behave that way without huge amounts of topspin (something that's not happening with a highly lofted club and adding backspin with the controller). Chips and pitches also have a habit of going seriously awry (severely left and weak for the most part) despite experimenting with just about every form of swing possible - wristy or stiff-armed, inside-out, outside-in, straight, controller lower or higher, etc. Hopefully the full swing control will work a bit better, too.

Still addicted to the game, though.

OrigamiSensei 09-01-2007 04:25 AM

Yikes. Just got it tonight for my Wii tonight and it is completely, insanely, ridiculously hard. Mine isn't letting me do practice mode on putts and I need to have the controller rotated way left just to hit it semi-straight instead of having a huge banana-ball slice. The hardest is the putting, though. Even two-foot tap-ins are an adventure now because the range on the putter is 120 feet so trying to gauge and control speed is a total crapshoot. I have already hit countless putts OVER the hole.

I think I need to check out some forums and study some manuals to see how to resolve these things. For now at my house we'll be sticking to '07 for our casual games 'till I get this all figured out. I do like some of the things they've done with the added Tiger challenges, training challenges and the like.

phil_ras 09-01-2007 05:28 PM

somebody help!! i bought tw08 a few days ago, and i'll admit that at first i was not impressed. however, about 45 hours of gameplay later i'm hooked `05 style, but i'm having some issues.

just wondering if anybody could explain the skill limiter system to me.

thanks,
phil

closer 09-01-2007 06:27 PM

You have to play the tiger woods challenges in order to raise the skill limiter. Once you raise the skill limiter all your unrealized potential fills up.

I was stuck at 10% and did the first group of challenges. I think it was about 7. Then the skill limiter was raised to 22% for me.

FatalError 09-02-2007 09:54 PM

The game is buggy, i'm stuck at 95% of the way through tiger challenge and it is freezing up now frequently during matches, a lot of others are reporting this also.

I would'nt purchase this game until the bugs are hammered out and patched

michw 09-04-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would'nt purchase this game until the bugs are hammered out and patched

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would I go to find out when this has been done?

Ginge 09-06-2007 08:53 AM

I've got it on the xbox and I'm finding it much harder to do a straight swing than on previous versions - I reckon I hit less than 10% of my shots perfectly. This annoys me a lot.

Ditch Digger 09-06-2007 09:43 PM

This game is full of bugs and I still haven't gotten the Gameface thing to work. Also, compared to the last Tiger game I played, probably 2004 or 2005 version, this one sucks.

Perplexity 09-07-2007 02:26 PM

I like it (x360 ver). It's a little better than '07. Changes aren't that big.

New courses are nice.
It certainly looks better. Not dramatically, but noticeably.
The tiger challenge system is marginally cooler than last year's. More variety.
It seems a little harder. I'm not sure yet whether it's only because my created golfer has low skills, or whether it's actually been made harder to swing straight. I had to bump difficulty down to "balanced".

FatalError 09-08-2007 08:47 AM

wait till you're almost done with tiger challenge and it bugs up and freezes over and over

CappyAA 09-20-2007 12:08 PM

The one thing that annoys me most about this game is that you have to swing with the left thumbstick. In the 2006 version, you could swing with the right thumbstick, which was much more natural to me, and resulted in perfect shots every time. I'm having such a difficult time adjusting to the left thumbstick and hitting it straight. Is there any way I can change these controls?

DankeJ 09-21-2007 10:50 PM

Just go to my tiger 08/settings/profile controller setup and reverse the sticks.

Weir 09-22-2007 04:42 AM

it gets stuck on henrietta brockway..........do a google search. there is a workaround....or they are releasing a patch. mightve already done it.

OrigamiSensei 09-22-2007 05:58 PM

I'm still very early in the game. In the Tiger Challenge I have won the first par 3 challenge at least three times and it still tells me I lost. Also some of the training events are really screwed up and it's impossible to tell what they actually want you to do.

Meanwhile the putting situation is still completely horrible. I used to be at least competent with the putter on '07 and now it's not all that uncommon for me to 4-putt or even 5-putt a hole.

This is all using the Wii in full swing mode. The game seems pretty buggy. I didn't mind some bugs for '07 seeing as it was the first release for the Wii but it shouldn't have gone backwards in quality for '08. It's too bad because they got rid of those stupid fantasy courses, improved the Tiger Challenge with more variety, and and made some other nice changes.

Berge20 09-24-2007 11:50 AM

I just got this yesterday and it was the first time I'd played such a game on a console. Very addictive and frustrating.

I was yelling just like I would on the real course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Prison Mike 09-24-2007 03:13 PM

Don't get it for the wii

Dids 09-25-2007 12:19 PM

Is the demo a lot easier than the real game?

I played the 3 hole demo in like 4 under or something and every drive was perfect. Maybe I'm just good, but it felt just as annoyingly easy as other versions of the game.

smittymatt 09-26-2007 02:06 AM

You were probably playing balanced mode which is a joke in terms of difficulty (basically every shot straight, putting line, etc). The real game set on tour pro is v difficult. Almost impossible to keep the ball in play.

Aces_up_North 09-27-2007 05:21 AM

I have this for my PS3 and its like Crack. I get home from work and play till 7 in the morning when the gf goes to work. Hard but fun, and teh game face is creepy close. Looks just like me

Berge20 09-27-2007 10:57 PM

Is there a way to putt from just off the green?

Is there a way to change the settings when you are chipping? I swear some chips are chips and others are full swings.

.Alex. 09-28-2007 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to putt from just off the green?

Is there a way to change the settings when you are chipping? I swear some chips are chips and others are full swings.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are slightly off the green in the fairway or on the fringe, it will auomatically give you the option to putt. Any further than that and it won't let you.

I basically never chip because it's harder to judge the distance compared to pitching or flopping and there is no advantage really. If you are intent on trying it though, I'd recommend going a club higher most of the time (just like with punch shots).

Berge20 10-27-2007 02:07 PM

This is a totally random question on the Xbox360 version.

How do you change clubs in your bag after profile/character creation?