Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Liking something but never watching/using/doing it (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=489807)

JaredL 08-30-2007 10:39 AM

Liking something but never watching/using/doing it

I think a lot of people have this type of thing, but for me it's more extreme. There are a lot of things that I enjoy that I rarely do for whatever reason, even though it's easily possible.

For example, when I was in junior high and high school I really liked the X-files every time I watched it. I probably watched 5 or 6 episodes and thought all of them were excellent. There is no particular reason why I didn't watch more since I really liked those episodes I watched but somehow I didn't ever get around to watching it.

Currently The Office is like that for me. I have seen about 4 or 5 episodes and was cracking up most of the time. I'm sure I even missed out on some running jokes or things that are more funny if you follow it but I still like the show. I have a DVR so there isn't any particular reason for me to not watch this show when I watch other stuff.

There are a few restaurants near my department that I go to quite infrequently and think every time "I should come here more often, this is great." They aren't any more expensive than the other places I go to more often and they are basically just as close.

Anybody else do this or have any insight as to why people do this?

Fast Food Knight 08-30-2007 10:41 AM

Re: Liking something but never watching/using/doing it

Laziness?

JaredL 08-30-2007 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Laziness?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that's part of it but there seems to be more to it. Take the restaurant example. Say for lunch I go to Subway a lot. There are other options the same distance away that I prefer every time I go to them, but yet when I'm thinking about where to eat I'll usually think Subway first unless something reminds me about one of the other places.

Fast Food Knight 08-30-2007 10:48 AM

Habit? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

danzasmack 08-30-2007 10:52 AM

I was like this with every tv show. Until they came out with DVR and shows on DVD. And HBO on demand. And iTunes where I can now buy the shows.

Kimbell175113 08-30-2007 10:57 AM

Fear?

adsman 08-30-2007 10:59 AM

Having the attention span of a gnat?

HerbieGRD 08-30-2007 11:03 AM

Apathy

rwesty 08-30-2007 11:17 AM

Self-pity?

vozzie 08-30-2007 11:22 AM

I like Jessica Alba but for some bizar reason I never did her.

BigPoppa 08-30-2007 11:27 AM

I'm with Jared.

There are movies I've bought because I really like the movie, yet have never watched. There are places I've gone that I really enjoyed, yet never gone back. Hell, there are even girls I never got around to calling again even though I liked them well enough.

Why?
[censored], I don't know.

HerbieGRD 08-30-2007 11:33 AM

I do the same thing and I really think it's that I don't care enough. It takes a lot for me to care about a decision - when it comes to what/where I eat on a given day or what I'm watching on TV I usually just don't care and don't think about it much. The reason I do many of the things that I do is part habit part laziness, the reason I don't do things I would like more is apathy. I know my life would be better if I took more time and put more thought into little decisions and I think that's true for a lot of people.

RicoTubbs 08-30-2007 01:57 PM

I have clothes that I really like but never wear. The only explanation I can come up with is that I'm mentally saving them for some special occasion. So the clothes that I wear most frequently are generally the clothes that I'm not crazy about.

Same thing with wine. I've got a small wine fridge full of wine, some of it pretty good, some of it run-of-the-mill. When I get a bottle of wine, I usually don't even consider getting a good bottle. Apparently I'm saving them for some undefined occasion. The wine critics from the Wall Street Journal invented "Open That Bottle Night" to address the fact that lots of people do the same thing. So at least I'm not the only idiot out there.

luckyjimm 08-30-2007 02:30 PM

Sex

Swimming

Riding scooters

Badger 08-30-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Laziness?

[/ QUOTE ]
Too lazy to watch a tv show? That's bad.

BigPoppa 08-30-2007 04:02 PM

My New Year's Resolution for 2003 was to eat more JellyBelly brand jellybeans than I had in 2002.

I failed.

guids 08-30-2007 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My New Year's Resolution for 2003 was to eat more JellyBelly brand jellybeans than I had in 2002.

I failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

jellybelly's suck. give me the almost egg-sized hard ones from walgreens all day long.

NT! 08-30-2007 05:32 PM

cocaine

ClassicBob 08-30-2007 08:27 PM

I love film, and I love collecting DVDs. I'd estimate that somwhere between 10-20% of my movies are still in the shrinkwrap.

Jailblazers 09-03-2007 11:23 PM

Yes, I have this awesome NBA Jersey of Portlands (black away team) Darius Miles, but I would never wear it to anywhere because I would get a lot of attention in public that I really don't want.

Also, with the show Scrubs I feel that way. I never knew being a doctor was so easy!

pokergrader 09-04-2007 03:45 AM

Leaving the house.