Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Ballad of the New Setup (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=489489)

*TT* 08-29-2007 10:45 PM

The Ballad of the New Setup

Mirage. Dealer makes a comment about how the table needs a new setup, I ask if there is something wrong with the cards because she continues to deal with them. She says "nothing, but since you guys aren't seeing too many flops this deck must be bad. I'm not allowed to ask for a new setup, will you do that for me?"

I say "no way, I don't want a new setup, that will interfere with the game".

She says "but if you get a new setup your more likely to have a jackpot hand. really, its true! I see it all the time!" (interesting to note there is no jackpot)

I say "thats ridiculous. If you can prove it mathematically then I will believe you, until then its some crazy gamblers superstition. I don't believe it, please keep dealing with this deck."

Dealer grumbles a little bit and deals on. 10 minutes later she again says "I wish we could get a new setup", someone at the table says you want a new setup? SETUP!". I grumble a little bit. Someone then asks if there is anything wrong with the deck, dealer says no ********* (I tuned out at that point because I knew what I was about to hear would only be dumb and annoying, which will only make me grumble).

New deck comes out. Dealer says to me "don't worry, I can change a setup faster than anyone else". She turns over the first deck, spreads it out, and was in the process of turning the deck over for a wash when tho players screamed "WAIT!" There were two Ace [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the deck - both with the same color backs. Dealer pulls one of the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] out, flips the cards over and starts to wash. I grumble. Another player yells out "stop, the deck is fouled. Look, there are marks all over it". Sure enough there were at least 6 cards that I saw with random white spots on the back of the deck. I grumble.

Dealer calls for a new setup. The floor asks "why, you just got a new setup", learns what just happened and runs off. Only problem is there are no more setups left. So one player says just bring back our last setup, we will play with that. Dealer gets the original setup back, doesn't bother to spread out the decks or count the cards - she proceeds to wash the deck. I grumble.

Over the next few minutes there is lots of action at the table. Dealer turns to me and says "see what a new setup can do?"

I grumble.

W brad 08-29-2007 10:52 PM

Re: The Ballad of the New Setup

You need to fix that grumbling problem of yours.

Very annoying

Photoc 08-29-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Over the next few minutes there is lots of action at the table. Dealer turns to me and says "see what a new setup can do?"

I grumble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely classic, ROFLMAO. And yet these kind of dealers will keep their jobs and probably get "promoted" to master setup changer...err...floor supervisor in the near future.

chucky 08-29-2007 11:22 PM

You know this is how Richard Reid started.

*TT* 08-29-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I grumble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely classic, ROFLMAO. And yet these kind of dealers will keep their jobs and probably get "promoted" to master setup changer...err...floor supervisor in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for reminding me! She claimed she knew that new setups were more likely to produce jackpots because she used to be a floor supervisor.

I, of course, grumbled.

Berge20 08-29-2007 11:39 PM

Classic

zuluking 08-29-2007 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I, of course, grumbled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Mylanta?

pfapfap 08-30-2007 12:01 AM

Wow.

Why the hell isn't she allowed to ask for a setup? A few times I've asked for one when using particularly sticky decks. Not often, tho'. Slows down the action.

Tom Ames 08-30-2007 12:11 AM

I continue to be astounded at how many dealers seem to be oblivious to the relationship between their tokes and the number of hands they deal.

egocidal 08-30-2007 12:18 AM

upset stomach, diarhea

hey pepto bismal

*TT* 08-30-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.

Why the hell isn't she allowed to ask for a setup? A few times I've asked for one when using particularly sticky decks. Not often, tho'. Slows down the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only think of two things.

1) She is a repeat offender and the house knows it

2) She meant she cannot ask for a new setup without a request from a player unless there is something wrong with the deck, and I don't think "not enough hands see the flop" qualifies as something wrong with the deck.

for what its worth if the deck is sticky and the dealer DOESN'T ask for a deck-change I would be worried.

Photoc 08-30-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

for what its worth if the deck is sticky and the dealer DOESN'T ask for a deck-change I would be worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our joint when with Wynn rule for the most part. NO SETUPS unless there is something wrong with the deck. (marked, sticky, ect..)

DrewOnTilt 08-30-2007 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I continue to be astounded at how many dealers seem to be oblivious to the relationship between their tokes and the number of hands they deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Phanekim 08-30-2007 01:15 AM

Interesting take on this TT, ever consider changing deck or even the delay will make people antsy enough so that when everything is changed and done they will gamble it up more?

Looks like your dealer put others on tilt and quite possibly too...grumble.

pfapfap 08-30-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting take on this TT, ever consider changing deck or even the delay will make people antsy enough so that when everything is changed and done they will gamble it up more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this very thing after my last post. It did work. The problem is the dealer seems oblivious as to the reason. Magic!

TexRef 08-30-2007 01:26 AM

A+ would read again

*TT* 08-30-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this very thing after my last post. It did work. The problem is the dealer seems oblivious as to the reason. Magic!

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, it didn't work at all. It was a purely random occurrence, there were no idiots in this game (except one who just happened to be card dead), everyone understands hand values for the most part... action /no action would a completely random occurrence based on the cards the villains hold that would not be affected by the deck setup.

Phanekim 08-30-2007 02:18 AM

Doesn't sound like a very good game to be playing in. is this the 6-12 at the mirage?

Howard Beale 08-30-2007 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the part where dealer said: 'You guys aren't seeing too many flops' which means she wasn't getting much in the way of tips. That is intolerable and a set-up is the only cure. That or a few rounds of drinks.

uclaben 08-30-2007 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I say "thats ridiculous. If you can prove it mathematically then I will believe you, until then its some crazy gamblers superstition. I don't believe it, please keep dealing with this deck."

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you actually say that, verbatim? Really?

Really?

Triantafylidis 08-30-2007 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
acid heartburn indegestion upset stomach, diarhea

hey pepto bismal

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

jeffnc 08-30-2007 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell isn't she allowed to ask for a setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there was nothing wrong with the deck. She's clueless. She lost tip money with all that nonsense.

psandman 08-30-2007 10:40 AM

The floor should make this dealer spend all her breaks making setups.

*TT* 08-30-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound like a very good game to be playing in. is this the 6-12 at the mirage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your profit is derived mostly from post-flop play, this is where the players at the table make all their mistakes. Remember in the long run pre-flop mistakes are minor, post-flop mistakes are major.

davidlong14 08-30-2007 12:40 PM

!@#$%* nits....grumble, grumble...actually this is one of my pet peeves, too...

GreedIsGood 08-30-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

New deck comes out. Dealer says to me "don't worry, I can change a setup faster than anyone else". ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, she was right about that part. Not actually checking the new deck does speed up the whole new-setup process.

Buckeyes 08-30-2007 01:22 PM

I don't really get this post. Nobody seems to want to mention that when the new set up showed up there were 2 A spades in the same deck. According to your post dealer did not call floor over but simply took one of the Ace of spades out and was about to continue to scramble the cards without calling the floor over. Not to mention there may of only been 51 cards in the deck after this. Amazing that a player was payin attention to this to catch it. Sounds like there was something fishy about to go down on this game.

AngusThermopyle 08-30-2007 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazing that a player was payin attention to this to catch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. At a certain point players stop believing in the Easter Bunny too.

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like there was something fishy about to go down on this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mirage != Giudo's Pool Hall and Poker Emporium

*TT* 08-30-2007 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really get this post. Nobody seems to want to mention that when the new set up showed up there were 2 A spades in the same deck. According to your post dealer did not call floor over but simply took one of the Ace of spades out and was about to continue to scramble the cards without calling the floor over. Not to mention there may of only been 51 cards in the deck after this. Amazing that a player was payin attention to this to catch it. Sounds like there was something fishy about to go down on this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you notice that I grumbled?

The players stopped the second A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], everyone noticed it. Its true that the dealer tried to use the fouled deck but she was stopped because of the markings on the rear of the deck, but no worries - if she got past the wash and started to deal I would have called the floor and stopped the hand as it was being dealt (I would wait until the last second because its in the best interest of the game, let the table deal with it so I don't have to appear to be paying attention). I can't be sure but I think the players who noticed the markings on the backs of the cards would have eventually stopped the deck from being used because of the extra card as well, but since there were other problems with the deck it wasn't brought up again.

Mygtar 08-30-2007 02:18 PM

Now I know where Tina from Foxwoods went. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PoppaTMan 08-30-2007 02:38 PM

Great story. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

franknagaijr 08-30-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

She says "but if you get a new setup your more likely to have a jackpot hand. really, its true! I see it all the time!" (interesting to note there is no jackpot)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ye of little faith!

With that extra Ace in the deck, there are now five ways to make a royal flush instead of 4. (20% increase.) Ditto 20% increase on four of a kind aces. For any aces full of X hand, there are 10 ways to make the 3 aces, as opposed to four ways. That's a 250% jump!

It's even worse when the nits can't do math.

TexRef 08-30-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember in the long run pre-flop mistakes are minor, post-flop mistakes are major.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bonus for strategy in the B&M forum! This is really a good concept to remember!

RR 08-30-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

She confirmed there was nothing wrong with the setup, so no she can't get a a new one.

MitchL 08-30-2007 04:51 PM

Do you not want a jackpot?

Cactus Jack 08-30-2007 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah, esp in a house where they don't have a jackpot.

domer2 08-30-2007 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah, esp in a house where they don't have a jackpot.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Mirage, jackpot wins you

fishyak 08-30-2007 09:41 PM

The dealer was clearly an escapee from the 2/4 room @ Commerce. (In LA we have REAL jackpots and set hours when the jackpot is doubled.)

Just before 2X JP time, I make a request of the table to please ask for that setup NOW or refrain from asking during the entire 2X JP time. I am no longer amazed at the arguments I get and that a number of people who want to back out of "our deal" and want a setup during double JP.

I guess it is good news in terms of seeing dead money walking that these people just don't get that every 2X JP hand we don't get dealt costs everyone at the table $.

As I said in a different post: You can't fix stupid.

iron81 08-30-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it is good news in terms of seeing dead money walking that these people just don't get that every 2X JP hand we don't get dealt costs everyone at the table $.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't true for most of them.

Diana Ross Fan 08-30-2007 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I grumble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there was action?