Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488243)

blackize 08-28-2007 12:52 PM

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this. I bought the game this morning at Walmart.

I'm playing on the harder difficulty level and it doesn't seem overly challenging just yet. The graphics on this are pretty sick, controls awesome, and the game is damn fun. What do the rest of you think?

Full-Metall 08-28-2007 01:26 PM

Re: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I really loathe being busto [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
This game has been racking up some pretty good reviews. Clearly the 1st wii game worth of buying the system. Here are some reviews from metacritic.

JMa 08-28-2007 01:48 PM

ah...only 2 months left till EU release. [censored]

Soul Daddy 08-28-2007 02:53 PM

Bought it today, but I'm leaving my Wii for a week starting Thursday [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], so I'm going to have to fight temptation for the next two days. I can't start this game with the knowledge that I will have to part ways with it. In the meantime, I might just have to play Super Metroid again to dull the itch.

sixfour 08-28-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gharp 08-28-2007 03:45 PM

I just picked it up and played a bit to see how the controls felt -- so far so good. I'm going to put it aside until I finish Bioshock.

Graphics are definitely way better than that (streaming) preview video.

TheCroShow 08-28-2007 09:41 PM

picked this up on my way home from work, i'm impressed so far. who would have thought that opening doors would be so fun!??!

MrWookie 08-28-2007 11:28 PM

So far, it's great. I guess some reviews criticized it for being too much of an FPS, but, hey, FPS=OK by me. There's still a good mix of puzzling and exploring. The controls take some getting used to, but it's still much, much better than analog sticks.

Right now, I'd say I like Zelda a little better, but I'm not too far in the game yet.

blackize 08-28-2007 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So far, it's great. I guess some reviews criticized it for being too much of an FPS, but, hey, FPS=OK by me. There's still a good mix of puzzling and exploring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree. I'm only a couple hours in but so far it has been a nice balance of puzzling, exploring and gunning. I have definitely been marveling at the detail and expanse of some areas. I feel the same playing this game so far as I did playing Super Metroid so many years ago.

[ QUOTE ]
The controls take some getting used to, but it's still much, much better than analog sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. In particular I like the environmental interactions. The stuff like pulling out the locking cylinder, rotating it, and pushing it back in.

[ QUOTE ]

Right now, I'd say I like Zelda a little better, but I'm not too far in the game yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty close for me so far. Both are really good games, but frankly I'm really surprised at how good the story has been for Metroid. I'm really enjoying picking up the little tidbits of the backstory in my logbooks.

Dromar 08-29-2007 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surprised at how good the story has been for Metroid. I'm really enjoying picking up the little tidbits of the backstory in my logbooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the things I really liked about the first one. I skipped the second one, because I heard it wasn't as good. Is the story for MP3 disconnected from the others, or will I have missed something from MP2 that I might want to know?

blackize 08-29-2007 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's one of the things I really liked about the first one. I skipped the second one, because I heard it wasn't as good. Is the story for MP3 disconnected from the others, or will I have missed something from MP2 that I might want to know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I never had a gamecube so I never actually played the first 2 prime games.

sixfour 08-29-2007 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I never had a gamecube so I never actually played the first 2 prime games.

[/ QUOTE ]

May as well buy them for whatever they cost now and play them on the Wii. The first one in particular is excellent, second one was good but nowhere near the brilliance of the original.

blackize 08-29-2007 08:14 AM

Yeah I'll likely pick them up at Gamestop or something in the near future. I actually had my eye out for them, but never saw the first one, just Echoes.

blackize 08-29-2007 10:41 AM

I really love the music. It really helps to set the mood of the game.

The reflection of Samus' eyes in visor mode is really cool too. They really got the details right in this game so far IMO.

JMa 08-29-2007 11:34 AM

is it annoying/physically tiring to point the wiimote at the TV all the time?

blackize 08-29-2007 11:49 AM

Not really. I just sit up and have my hands in my lap.

Nicholasp27 08-29-2007 12:45 PM

yeah, u don't have to have ur arm fully extended while playing...i just rest mine in my lap or on the couch arm

geormiet 08-29-2007 01:50 PM

The game is better than i expected based on the preview videos and screenshots i had seen.

I do have one problem with this game and also with all the 3d metroids. It's hard for me to explain, but I don't get a sense of the heaviness of objects and characters. When a huge boss jumps in the air and lands, it feels like he might as well weigh 10 pounds. Same goes for fighting the space pirates, they don't seem to have any weight to them, during gameplay, as well as during the cut scenes. Also falling structures, beams, etc... Something about the animation being slightly too fast or the physics of the game engine slightly off, i'm not sure.

One game that I felt the opposite about, where the enemies really felt like they had a lot of weight to them was residen evil 4.

Shadowrun 08-29-2007 02:04 PM

play the controls under "advanced"

Macdaddy Warsaw 08-29-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The game is better than i expected based on the preview videos and screenshots i had seen.

I do have one problem with this game and also with all the 3d metroids. It's hard for me to explain, but I don't get a sense of the heaviness of objects and characters. When a huge boss jumps in the air and lands, it feels like he might as well weigh 10 pounds. Same goes for fighting the space pirates, they don't seem to have any weight to them, during gameplay, as well as during the cut scenes. Also falling structures, beams, etc... Something about the animation being slightly too fast or the physics of the game engine slightly off, i'm not sure.

One game that I felt the opposite about, where the enemies really felt like they had a lot of weight to them was residen evil 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that too, but it's not the first game. I think Half-Life was similar. To me, it felt like things were sliding around in space more than they normally would...

Nicholasp27 08-29-2007 05:00 PM

does it use the premise that there is less gravity than on earth? that would affect the weight

MrWookie 08-29-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that too, but it's not the first game. I think Half-Life was similar. To me, it felt like things were sliding around in space more than they normally would...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that Half-Life was an example of a game that did this better than MP3. The environmental effects and mood in HL were killer, esp. for the day. Sure, I suppose you could say that bullets followed linear instead of parabolic trajectories, and maybe the odd crate you had to push around was a little too light, but most of the scripted things with pipes falling and walls crumbling and that giant blue thing lumbering after you looked plenty heavy.

geormiet 08-29-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does it use the premise that there is less gravity than on earth? that would affect the weight

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not really a feeling of having less gravity than earth, it's more of a feeling of a physics engine seems to be not quite tweaked properly.

You could say the same thing about animated movies. e.g. for me pixar movies tend to have an incredible sense of weight and heaviness.

BTW dont' get me wrong, I'm only 30 minutes into metroid and i love it, this is my one main beef with the game.

Macdaddy Warsaw 08-30-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that Half-Life was an example of a game that did this better than MP3. The environmental effects and mood in HL were killer, esp. for the day. Sure, I suppose you could say that bullets followed linear instead of parabolic trajectories, and maybe the odd crate you had to push around was a little too light, but most of the scripted things with pipes falling and walls crumbling and that giant blue thing lumbering after you looked plenty heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, it's been a long time. I just remember slippery.

geormiet 08-30-2007 02:08 AM

goddamnit how do I activate the first power generator....all i can figure out to do is fall down the chasm

blackize 08-30-2007 04:13 AM

<font color="white"> Double jump across the chasm. Twist the thingy to get the generator to drop. Go back to the other side of the room and face the generator. On your left is a computer terminal and the very far left of that has a palm reader. use it. </font>

kickpushcoast 08-30-2007 04:59 AM

just started playing, wow this game kicks ass. i never played either of the gamecube metroids so i didnt know what to expect. the controls are on par with playing a FPS with a keyboard and mouse, WAY better than any other console FPS

Moozh 08-30-2007 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
goddamnit how do I activate the first power generator....all i can figure out to do is fall down the chasm

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a little while to realize you actually do have to kill all of the annoying little sentry drones.

toss 08-30-2007 01:29 PM

The only thing that pisses me off about the game is when you get stuck because you can't figure out what the hell you're supposed to do. I spent half an hour wandering aimlessly in one part because I kept overlooking a small crack in the wall that's impervious to charge shots and missiles, but breakable by your morphball blast. I would've been stuck there forever if I hadn't gone to gamefaqs.

MrWookie 08-30-2007 01:40 PM

I'm kinda figuring out that the name of the game is "Scan EVERYTHING." And really, that's pretty reminiscent of the old school Metroids, too. You wander about aimlessly for a while, think you're stuck, and then you find some concealed passage that has no obvious indication that it should be there. Some in Super Metroid don't even show up w/ the xray scope. At least in the old Metroids, there were usually multiple ways to destroy things, or if there weren't, it was really obvious what you needed to use to blast them.

I actually think they were pretty clever to include a measure of how much you've scanned in your log book. It at least does something to turn the tedium of scanning everything into a game of wanting to have scanned absolutely everything. Still, I think I know what passage you're talking about. When I scanned it, it said the thing had a high concentration of Tiberium or Trillium or Tarragon or something, like that should mean something to me. Apparently it means "able to be blasted by bombs, and only bombs."

MrWookie 09-01-2007 12:29 AM

Man, I don't know who was complaining about this being too easy. Some of the later stages of Bryyo are a real bitch on Veteran.

blackize 09-01-2007 02:30 AM

Yeah took me 5 or 6 tries to beat the boss on the fiery side.

Dire 09-01-2007 03:43 AM

Thing that turned me off of the gamecube metroids was that I felt obligated to scan everything to avoid missing stuff, but that wasn't much fun and I ended up quitting. Is scanning made less of a hassle this time around? I loved the 2d metroids.

Looking for one more reason before I buy a Wii. Would love the virtual console - but not a fan of Zelda or the other Wii games.

Dromar 09-01-2007 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thing that turned me off of the gamecube metroids was that I felt obligated to scan everything to avoid missing stuff, but that wasn't much fun and I ended up quitting. Is scanning made less of a hassle this time around? I loved the 2d metroids.

Looking for one more reason before I buy a Wii. Would love the virtual console - but not a fan of Zelda or the other Wii games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's less of a hassle, but (at least as far as I am in the game, which isn't far) you don't NEED to scan anything except certain obvious brightly lit panels that activate something. At the same time, there seems like a ton of stuff to scan, like maybe 10 things every time I enter a new room. But as I recall, the original Metroid Prime was the same way in the beginning, but then there became less and less things to be scanned. Anyway, if you don't like the scanning aspect of the game, you can probably get by with just scanning the things that activate doors and such, which would reduce your scanning frequency greatly.

MrWookie 09-02-2007 12:52 AM

Whew. I finally beat Bryyo. The final boss there took me several tries to beat. I do have to applaud the developers on the phazon/hypermode mechanic, though. I suppose once I track down a few more energy tanks, it may not be as interesting, but so far the decisions about employing one uber barrage at the expense of a whopping 100 health are interesting. It seems like too often I'm facing a situation where a MUST use hypermode and I don't have 100 health to spare.

Also, are any of you guys who have ths game on the 2+2 Wii buddies list? I guess we can swap friend vouchers or something, although I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Do I have to get to a certain point in the game, or am I not finding the right button?

Macdaddy Warsaw 09-02-2007 03:12 AM

I'm on Bryyo right now, but I'm only playing on normal, so the game isn't exactly kicking my ass. I should be on the friends list, but I haven't updated my friends list in quite some time, but maybe I will do so soon.

Also, this game is hella fun.

memento_mori 09-02-2007 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Macdaddy Warsaw 09-02-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, are any of you guys who have ths game on the 2+2 Wii buddies list? I guess we can swap friend vouchers or something, although I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Do I have to get to a certain point in the game, or am I not finding the right button?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're on my list for certain, and I'm probably on yours since I'm on the 2+2 Wii buddies list, but your name comes up as grey for me still, even though it sure sounds like you have Metroid save data on your Wii. Weird.

MrWookie 09-02-2007 01:31 PM

You might not actually be on my friends list, since I might have missed a few people. I'll add you right now.

Edit: I guess you were in my address book already. I'm not sure what's wrong then.

MrWookie 09-02-2007 01:39 PM

OK, I saw in the Extras menu I hadn't set my wii to share the data. I set that, and I went looking through my buddy list. I found you, but you were also gray. I sent you a friend voucher, though, and it allowed it. I'm not sure it would disallow it if I tried to send a voucher to someone who didn't have MP3, though. I'm not sure if it'll go through, or if I'll get my voucher back if something doesn't work, but we'll see what happens.