Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Player tells me where to put my chips (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487857)

ntnBO 08-27-2007 11:17 PM

Player tells me where to put my chips

Playing the 15 at Bellagio, sitting in the 3 seat when an apparent regular sits in the 4 seat. The instant he sits down he tells me I need to scoot over some as he doesn't have enough room. I accommodate him somewhat and move a bit to my right along with my stack.

I should note that I like to keep my stack in the left portion of "my area", not sure why I've just always been more comfortable doing it that way. Well, the 4 tells me that I need to move my stack to the middle of my area! I calmly refuse and he instantly asks the dealer to call the floor. Floor arrives and proceeds to square up the table a bit. When everybody is square I ask the floor if my chips are fine where they are (on the extreme left of my area). Of course he says they are and walks away. 4 seat kept yapping about this for 10 minutes while I tried not to laugh.

I have to assume there's no unwritten rule about keeping your stack directly in front of you and the 4 seat was simply being a jerk. Yes?

BO

AlaskaGal 08-27-2007 11:29 PM

Re: Player tells me where to put my chips

I think most players keep their stack on one side of "their area" so they can put their cards on the opposite side. I also keep my chips to the left. Sounds like you sat next to the pickiest player in the history of poker.

rbenuck4 08-27-2007 11:53 PM

I do the same thing, keeping my chips to my left so I can peek at my cards easily. This guy was a nitty douche, don't sweat it.

youtalkfunny 08-28-2007 12:18 AM

"Your area" is the space on the table that is between your elbows. If your chips are in the left segment of this "area", you're cool.

If the chips are to the left of your left elbow (or the pile extends to the left of your elbow), then you're causing unnecessary problems.

PantsOnFire 08-28-2007 12:37 AM

I'd raise his BB 100% of the time.

RR 08-28-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Your area" is the space on the table that is between your elbows. If your chips are in the left segment of this "area", you're cool.

If the chips are to the left of your left elbow (or the pile extends to the left of your elbow), then you're causing unnecessary problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. If it does not fit between your elbows it needs to be off the table.

pvn 08-28-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise his BB 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mygtar 08-28-2007 08:22 AM

Welcome to live poker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ZootAllures 08-28-2007 09:07 AM

I've seen that kind of nonsense before. My favorite is when I get up to use the bathroom and come back to find the two guys on my left and right have squeezed towards me so much that I can't even get back into my seat. Anyhow, when you get a jerk like that you sometimes have to literally measure out the area between the two of you, and cut it in half. It sounds juvenile (because it is), but once you both have established what's "your space" and what is not the conversation ends. If the conversation continues then _you_ call the floor on the idiot.

jimmytrick 08-28-2007 09:11 AM

My stack is often too big to fit in betwixt my elbows.

Budget Boy 08-28-2007 09:39 AM

Gradually inch your stacks even further to the left throughout the course of the evening to tilt this nit.

TexRef 08-28-2007 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to live poker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

RR 08-28-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn to stack it higher.

facialabuse 08-28-2007 12:45 PM

i like the word betwixt

nineinchal 08-28-2007 12:54 PM

Tell him where to put his chips.

KurtSF 08-28-2007 01:32 PM

Really? I find it easier to look at the cards on my left side and have the chips toward the right side. To each their own, I guess.

buddypup 08-28-2007 02:05 PM

at the Hustler there is this douche bag -"fan guy". He brings a battery operated fan and puts it where his chips should go. His chips go where his neighbor's chips choud go. He is a smelly prick and acts like the fan is invisible......so do the floormen.

RR 08-28-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at the Hustler there is this douche bag -"fan guy". He brings a battery operated fan and puts it where his chips should go. His chips go where his neighbor's chips choud go. He is a smelly prick and acts like the fan is invisible......so do the floormen.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the fan for? Fans used to be very common on poker tabels when smoking was allowed.

Rick Nebiolo 08-28-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then ask for a color change for a portion of your chips.

Edit to add I just noticed Randy had an equivalent comment which works too.

As an aside, why aren't more of you thinking about being courteous and mannerly when at the table (or anywhere for that matter)? Overall that is plus EV for life.

Most plus EV of all is responding with courtesy and good manners when confronted with discourtesy and bad manners. It's the killer play.

~ Rick

PS I'd like to see Tommy Angelo (the king of poker game karma) in this thread.

GreedIsGood 08-28-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the fan for? Fans used to be very common on poker tabels when smoking was allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably uses it to blow his smell onto the next player as a form of biological warfare.

Personally, if someone insisted on putting their chips in front of me, I'd just thank them for the chips.

MiltonFriedman 08-28-2007 04:37 PM

"I tried not to laugh."

Why not? Poker can be fun you know.

I hope every pot you raked in was stacked progressively toward the 4 seat.

Next time, bring a battery powered shark, too.

buddypup 08-28-2007 05:49 PM

the fan is used to cool off his sweaty head. This guys just perspires by sitting still. I have seen this guy's original fan stomped on by some dude that took a bad beat from the fan guy....but his new one is bigger and better. If you ever play at the Hustler.....fan guy is playing either 5-5, 5-10, or the daily tounreys.

realjaydub 08-28-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fan is used to cool off his sweaty head. This guys just perspires by sitting still. I have seen this guy's original fan stomped on by some dude that took a bad beat from the fan guy....but his new one is bigger and better. If you ever play at the Hustler.....fan guy is playing either 5-5, 5-10, or the daily tounreys.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was good...LOL

Some how I can imagine being the guy that stomped it.

AKQJ10 08-28-2007 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, why aren't more of you thinking about being courteous and mannerly when at the table (or anywhere for that matter)? Overall that is plus EV for life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good aside. Here's my speculative response. Poker is a competition. Although civilized competition takes place within the bounds of pre-established rules, the emotions (*cough* testosterone *cough*) competition stirs up don't always lend themselves to courteous conduct.

It's really no different than John McEnroe on the tennis court or the famous video of Phillip Wellman. From a distance, we can agree that such conduct is -EV (going beyond any legitimate +EV to "working the refs").

OK, down from my soapbox....

[ QUOTE ]

Most plus EV of all is responding with courtesy and good manners when confronted with discourtesy and bad manners. It's the killer play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Or as it's also been stated, "If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." Devastatingly effective.

Dynasty 08-29-2007 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Player tells me where to put my chips

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this thread had potential.

magoo 08-29-2007 02:52 AM

In this instance you are the jerk. You know damn well you are hogging table space, by keeping your chips to the left of where you are sitting. You explained it correctly. It is YOUR selfish "comfort" which is paramount.

[ QUOTE ]

I should note that I like to keep my stack in the left portion of "my area", not sure why I've just always been more comfortable doing it that way.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Willy 08-29-2007 12:48 PM

Seems like a lot of new players at B&M think they have to keep their chips to the side since that is the way they see it done on TV. I guess they want to be sure the hole card cam gets a good view.

Mygtar 08-29-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a lot of new players at B&M think they have to keep their chips to the side since that is the way they see it done on TV. I guess they want to be sure the hole card cam gets a good view.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I had a young guy next to me a few weeks ago that kept putting his hole cards side by side like on "Poker Superstars" or "High Stakes Poker".

realjaydub 08-29-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I had a young guy next to me a few weeks ago that kept putting his hole cards side by side like on "Poker Superstars" or "High Stakes Poker".

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold, I should do that today....LOL

DayTripping 08-29-2007 10:20 PM

This player sounds like a nit of the year candidate, but since he's a Bellagio regular who plays 15-30 what else would you expect... As I've said before, the higher the limits the higher the nit factor.