Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Getting into Biking (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487172)

HU4coke 08-27-2007 02:33 AM

Getting into Biking

I want to start serious bike riding. The only experience I have on a bike was riding my huffy until I was 14 or so. So I know absolutely nothing about it. My long term goal is to do an Ironman, so obviously I need to be able to bike. So here are a few questions for seasoned bike riders.

-Are those hard narrow seat standard? I did a spinning class one time with my GF and could hardly finish because my ass hurt so bad.

-What's a good bike for a beginner? I want to spend less than 1k.

-What are some good starting programs? I want to be able to do 20 miles easilly.

I'm sure Im overlooking alot of stuff, any help is aprreciated.

Victor 08-27-2007 02:45 AM

Re: Getting into Biking

for a triathlon you want a road bike. heres a thread with cheap ones http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=268941

as for the seats, you may have to experiment. ride on the stock seat a few times and if you dont like it buy another. i prefer the narrow and firm seats. also, lycra shorts with padding is absolutely necessary. i usually i apply vaseline to my grundle to eliminate friction too. saddle sores really suck.

as far as programs go, get on your bike and ride as far as you can. then come back. the nice thing about biking, as opposed to running, is that bc of the lesser impact you dont need as many rest days and such a limited schedule. its much harder to overdo it on a bike .

Alobar 08-27-2007 02:49 AM

The harder and skinnier the seat, the better you are in the long run. Yes it defies logic, Yes your ass is going to be sore for a while, so Im sure you wont believe me, but you are just going to have to trust me on this one. IMO Selle italia makes the best saddles, but a saddle is a very personal preference. Just find one thats rock hard and skinny and go from there.

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone looking to get into cycling, go to a bike shop, find out what size frame you need, ride a few models around, then scour ebay, craigslist and bike classified sites and buy a used one. Much better bang for the buck, and a much cheaper initial investment. If you start putting in a ton of miles, then upgrade to a nicer bike.

20 miles isnt all that far, just go out and put some time in the saddle, youll be able to do that distance easily in a very short time. don't start out with some training regime at the start, just go out and do some rides and see how far you can ride and what kinda shape you are in. Then get more into it.

If you want a book on training check out the "cyclists training bible" its pretty much what the name suggests.

Neko 08-27-2007 09:32 AM

I bought this bike early this year.
http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/images/prod_2059.jpg
It's really sweet and is light years ahead in performance of the pos I'd been riding around. When I first got it I was just using it as transportation/grocery getter in the city, and it's pretty great for that, but now I'm using it primarily as an excercise tool, and I really wish I had bought a real road bike instead. So I guess, if you're going to be using the bike for triatholons don't let a sales person talk you into buying a hybrid would be my advice. Just get two purpose driven bikes rather than one do-it all if you can afford it.

If you haven't ridden anything since your bmx when you were a kid, you will likely be very impressed with how well these things ride shift/brake now and you will be busting out 20 mile rides no problem.

I also got disc brakes which I love but Alobar and Victor maybe would suggest otherwise, cuz they're probably a couple oz's heavier [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I also got a 24 speed, which Alobar and Victor will mock me for. Meh, I used the lowest 8 speeds quite a bit when I got the bike but now only use them on big effin hills. If you're in reasonable shape and have some leg strength you can probably live with just a 10 or 12 speed or whatever. It will be lighter and ride/shift better than a triple I'd imagine.

You will get used to the seat after a bit. JUst get the padded bicycle shorts and don't wear gitch under neath them.

ok now I have a q. Would it be retarded/is it possible to put a set of road bike bars instead of the flat bars on my bike or would that just be compounding my mistake of buying a hybrid?

Rootabager 08-27-2007 01:02 PM

All the big brands giant/specialized/trek etc are going to have good entry level 1000 dollar bikes. they are all pretty much the same IMO so go with whatever your local bike shop sells. That way they can help you with sizing and you get things like free tune ups for a year.

Your butt will get sore for awhile but you will get over it.

Do not save money on the lycra padded shorts. I had cheap ones for along time and didnt know what I was missing out on until i bought some really nice ones. It makes a huge difference.

I personally dont like biking jerseys either. I like to get sleeveless dry fit nike shirts. they are looser and look less gay.

I am also paranoid about going impotent so I got one of those seats that is split to relieve pressure.

BreakfastBurrito 08-27-2007 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for a triathlon you want a road bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your goal is to do an iron man you're actually probably going to want to seriously consider a triathlon bike.

short article on the differences between tri and road bikes

HU4coke 08-27-2007 09:02 PM

I just dont get the seat thing. Is there some reason I cant put a big soft beach cruiser seat on a road bike? What's the purpose of having that hard thing up in your ass.

Another question I have is does being hunched over for long periods of time hurt your back? It looks super uncomfortable. Also, do I need to get some sort of GPS. How do most people log miles?

shemp 08-27-2007 09:10 PM

Your enemies are weight and friction down there, minimal seat helps with both I would guess. Hardness is not an issue for me, so I can't really empathize. Good biking shorts are important.

Rootabager 08-27-2007 09:50 PM

I am sorta with you. The tiny tiny racing seats I cant handle. They are too uncomfortable for me. It's not like I am racing so I dont care as much about the weight to the gram.

Throw a big one on there. There isnt anything stopping you.

I am pulling this out of my ass but it might have something to do with the angle of how you ride.

The bikes with the big seats sit you up at a very upright angle. That is more comfortable if you are just putting around town. but when you get a bike where you are trying to go fast you are sitting lower on the bike to cut through the wind.

just a thought. but it prolly has something to do with that.

kerowo 08-27-2007 11:51 PM

Here goes the brain dump:

Padded seats are worse for you than the skinny seats. Too much contact or something. If you are starting from scratch do a half hour or 45 minutes on the saddle then take a day off and do it again. It doesn't take long for your sit bones to adjust and to be able to ride for hours pain free. The down side is that if you stop riding for a couple of months you get to go through it all again.

Don't wear anything under your lycra. Don't wear cotton shirts, they tend to chafe your nipply region. Make sure whatever bike you get fits, a poorly fitting bike can cause you serious pain. Once you get used to the sadle the only pain you should feel riding a bike is from pushing the peddles, not from joint pain or pain in your feet or hands. If something is hurting your bike isn't set up right.

If you have the 1000 in cash check and see if there is a veloswap in your area, you will be able to get more bike for less if you go used.

All helmets meet the same standards the more expensive ones have better air flow.

I much preferred using a Camelbak for water and the bottle for an energy drink like Cytomax when I'm riding. You only need to worry about taking in calories when you are riding when you start to ride for more than around 2 hours or so. When you are just starting out try to not increase your milage more than 10% a week unless you aren't feeling very tired at all.

Practice changing tubes at home a couple of times before you go out, you never know when you'll have to figure out how to do it. I go with Gatorskin tires and thorn resistant tubes and haven't had a flat since.

Rootabager 08-28-2007 12:29 AM

I never liked used bikes. seems like they get alot better every year. 1000 dollars 2 years ago isnt as good as 1000 dollars now. I know it's going to be cheaper. but i never thought it was worth it.

Alobar 08-28-2007 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never liked used bikes. seems like they get alot better every year. 1000 dollars 2 years ago isnt as good as 1000 dollars now. I know it's going to be cheaper. but i never thought it was worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this, at least in regards to a roadbike (mountain bike is much different), a $1K roadbike from 2 years ago is going to basically be the exact same as a $1K bike today. And as long as the bike is even remotely maintained (and by remotely, I mean as long as the dumbass who owned it kept the chain lubed and didnt wash it with a pressure washer, or leave it out in the snow), then the wear and tear on a roadbike is exceedingly minimal. I've seen 10 year old road bikes that ride as good as the day they were brand new.

My first roadbike was a specialized allez, cost me exactly $1K. Was 9 speed with a campy veloce groupo. I put like 20,000 miles on it and then it sat in my garage for a while cuz I bought a new bike. I sold it to a friend for a $150. It was 6 years old and in as good a shape as the day I got it, and could easily go another 20K miles. The person I sold it to got a bike that would do them every single bit as well as a brand new $800 bike, only they got it for a fuckton cheaper, and if they decided the didnt like roadbiking were only out $150, plus they had plenty of money to buy a helmet and lycra and all the other stuff you need for cycling that eats up a huge chunk of change.

A used bike is about the smartest thing anyone looking to get into cycling can do.

ottsville 08-29-2007 08:31 AM

Neko, putting drop bars is easily done and someone also makes drop bar ends that would bolt on to your existing bars the same way that regular bar ends bolt on. The problem you'll encounter is that it won't be long before you decide you want the integrated shifters/brakes found on road bikes.

ottsville 08-29-2007 09:32 AM

-narrow seats It doesn't take long to get used to it - 2 or 3 weeks of riding at the most.

-good bikes: The key is fit. Very important to get one that fits appropriately. There is no substitute for a good local bike shop here. They will be able to help you pick the right size bike and get it adjusted appropriately so that you ride comfortably. Many shops offer fitting on bikes bought from them or sell a custom fit service which can be helpful if you buy your bike online. You can do a pretty good fit if you are minorly mechanically inclined and pull some info of the net.

Unfortunately, LBS's are rarely the cheapest place to buy bikes. However, aside from fitting services, most will give you free tuneups on your bike and some will even allow you to trade-up bikes bought from them when you are ready for a better bike. Some of the discount bike shops(got a performance bike shop near you?) offer good prices on bikes and usually have a house brand that are decent.

After fit, your component group is important. Frame differences are negligible other than material - almost all bikes in your range are either aluminum or aluminum/carbon, with most being aluminum. Ask whoever you shop with the differences in component levels. You'll mostly be dealing with shimano and they have >4 levels of components, from crap to pro racer quality.

There's some good deals online on bikes, including on ebay. Check in the back of Bicycling magazine for online retailers. A couple of the older bike names (mercier for example) were bought and someone is buying spec bikes from Asia(where most bikes are made) and putting their stickers on them. Some of these bikes come with pretty decent component groups and are a good value.

This spring I bought a '05 leftover Scattante (Performance bike's house brand), aluminum and carbon frame, carbon fork, truvativ cranks, and full ultegra for less than $750. A comparatively equipped bike will run about $1.5k-$2k, so there are good values out there if you look for them.

Don't forget the accessories you'll need - helmet, shorts, gloves, water bottles, shoes, tire patch kit, etc when figuring how much you can spend.

If you want to go the used route - and there is really nothing wrong with that - ask at bike shops and find your local bike club and triathlon training club. People are always looking to move up and finding a good used bike is not hard. The club I ride with has at least one member who is always buying and selling bikes. Often a couple year old used bike that cost $1k is as good as a new bike that costs $2k.

-20 miles is nothing on a bike. You should be able to do that after a couple of weeks of riding if you are not a complete tub of goo now. The program is to ride. That's all it takes to get there. Finding someone to ride with will help you get stronger, faster, and more endurance in less time than you will riding alone. LBS's will often have group rides and cycling clubs are a good way to go. Cycling clubs will have a full range of rides for all level riders and usually there's a bit of friendly competition involved...town line sprints, racing to see who can get to the top of a hill first, and the like. All will make you a stronger rider.

gila 08-29-2007 01:13 PM

http://www.salsacycles.com/campeon.html

That is the bike I got a few years ago, and it is everything I ever wanted. I would try to go for a bike in the 1500-1800 range. It seems the jump from a 1k bike to a 1.5k bike is a lot bigger jump, than say from the 1.5k to a 3k bike. Once you get to about 1500ish range, you are getting a bike that you will not need (want) to upgrade. Plus, a lot of the times, this range of bikes has a higher quality frame. At the 1k range, you are probably getting a medium grade aluminum bike, which is fine in it's own right. But you get up to 1500+ and the options in frame material start to expand. You can now start getting into higher grade aluminum, some carbon fiber/aluminum combos, and even some of the lower grade titanium. The Salsa, above, is made out of scandium and carbon fiber, which makes for a smooth, super fast, ride. They usually sell for 2k+, but if you look around, you can usually find great deals on last year models. Usually, the only major difference would be a paint scheme and colors, etc.

cbloom 08-29-2007 01:18 PM

Re : Seats :

A wide cushy seat is great if you're riding like 5 miles or less. Beyond that it will crush your balls/perineum when you lean forward, and it will chafe your inner thighs from being too wide. Get a proper small seat. If you can't handle that then biking probably isn't for you. Actually exercise might not be for you.

Re : Used Bikes :

Alobar is sort of right in that bikes really don't change or degrade much and you can get a great value in a used bike. (my high end racing bike I bought used). HOWEVER a lot of people selling used bikes have a totally retarded idea of their value and are way overcharging. If you don't know bikes very well it might be hard to evaluate a used bike to tell if it's a good deal or not. Also, if you buy a new bike at a local bike shop they will help you pick a bike, help you get sized properly, and should include 1 year of free repairs (make sure they do). Don't buy a new bike at Costco or something, go to a bike shop, it's worth the small overcharge.

Alobar 08-29-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOWEVER a lot of people selling used bikes have a totally retarded idea of their value and are way overcharging. If you don't know bikes very well it might be hard to evaluate a used bike to tell if it's a good deal or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a VERY good point, and I don't consider that since I know bikes. I still think that its the way to go tho, and I don't think its all that hard to research whats a good deal and what isn't. There are only so many component groups and frame manufactures, a little immersion and one should be able to tell whats a good deal and what isnt. If not, post and ask!

Neko 08-29-2007 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Neko, putting drop bars is easily done and someone also makes drop bar ends that would bolt on to your existing bars the same way that regular bar ends bolt on. The problem you'll encounter is that it won't be long before you decide you want the integrated shifters/brakes found on road bikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet. thanks, I'll take a look at a local shop.

kerowo 08-29-2007 09:46 PM

Neko,

Nothing wrong with riding a hybrid for a while, with or without drop bars on them. Some things to consider:
Two bikes isn't too many. If you end up with a road bike there is something to be said for having a "beater" bike around for trips you don't want to put your clipless shoes on for or taking someplace where you don't mind locking it up outside some place, something you will never do when you get a spendy road bike.
If you end up with a windtrainer to ride inside having a bike you can leave on it full time will be real convenient.
Be careful when you switch the handlebars that the bike still fits right, the geometry on hybrid/comfort bikes is designed to be more upright so if you don't get a new stem set up right you may be a bit scrunched, which will be uncomfortable.

When I started cycling I had a comfort bike and was able to keep up with group rides at the lbs with the roadies and sometimes wish I had kept it, especially when I see it dumped on the side of my friend's house instead of in his garage or out on the road.

ottsville 08-30-2007 10:00 AM

OP:
Thisis a bike you may want to consider, or find something similar with carbon stays. [

Neko 08-30-2007 10:07 AM

yeah, I definitely hear what you're saying. My hybrid is awesome in the city for getting groceries, riding home drunk from friends houses etc. just not ideal for what I use it for most of the time. Once I buy two bikes, I guess it won't be long before I want 3rd though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

local shop should be getting some rollers in a couple of weeks and have promised I can try riding my bike as well as a full on road bike on them, looking forward to that. The only set of bars they had was $700 (CDN). lol, that's almost as much as I spent on the bike.

ottsville 09-01-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I buy two bikes, I guess it won't be long before I want 3rd though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my collection....

(sorry the pics suck)
my road bike(2005 scattante r660)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/bikes003.jpg

my old Bridgestone road bike I've turned into a fixie
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/bikes005.jpg

My mountain bike I no longer ride and am going to sell(2002 Trek fuel 98)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...bynathan08.jpg

My single speed rigid Kona mtn bike...a blast to ride! http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/bikes007.jpg

And this old Diamondback I use with a child seat to ride my son around on.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/bikes001.jpg

4drugmoney 09-01-2007 08:54 PM

What's a hybrid? A mix between a mountain bike and road bike?

ottsville 09-01-2007 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, more of a rail-trail bike than anything.

kerowo 09-02-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll also hear it called a Comfort bike becuase they tend to have suspension on at least the front forks and perhaps the seat post. They have a more upright position so you aren't streacthed out to the handlebars. They tend to have smother fatter tires than roadies but not near as nobby or fat as mountain bikes.

Neko 09-02-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll also hear it called a Comfort bike becuase they tend to have suspension on at least the front forks and perhaps the seat post. They have a more upright position so you aren't streacthed out to the handlebars. They tend to have smother fatter tires than roadies but not near as nobby or fat as mountain bikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most seem to be like that but mine (I posted a pic in the thread above) is much more road oriented, skinny ass tires, no suspension etc. Just sits a bit more upright then a road bike and has flat bars rather than drop bars. It sucks, for example, on almost any surface that isn't paved/smooth.

Neko 09-02-2007 01:21 PM

ottsville,

Nice collection. Whats the deal with the single speed road bikes? What do you use them for most? Are they geared for acceleration or speed? I can see why you'd want a single speed bike for trails and stuff but seems kinda strange on a road bike.

ottsville 09-02-2007 06:32 PM

Actually the red road bike is fixed gear, which means that as long as the wheels are moving, the cranks are moving. Like track bikes(velodrome) and many bike messenger bikes there is no freewheel on it. Theoretically, you could pedal it backwards.

I just built this up for something to do with my old road bike and plan on riding it a good bit this winter. The bike is 20 years old, so it wasn't worth anything to sell, plus I love the older lugged steel frames and didn't want to get rid of it. Fixed gear riding is supposed to improve your pedal stroke by making it smoother. I have the bike geared with a 39 front/15 rear which should be good enough that I'm not spinning like mad on the downhills yet can still ride the uphills.

Single speed riding is lots of fun, especially on trails. It will remind you of how much fun riding was as a kid. You don't worry about being in the right or wrong gear, you just ride. There's also something about the simplicity of the bike that's cool. I haven't done much mtn biking lately because I've been training for a century ride(and with having a little kid, driving somewhere to ride takes too much time), but I'll get out some this fall. I don't want to sound too flaky but single speed mtn biking is an almost spiritual fun.

BTW, Sheldonbrown.com is an excellent source for bike maintenance info and he's considered one of the best on the web.

PokerFox 09-02-2007 09:52 PM

I have nothing against serious cycling, but I just want to warn you:

There are 2 kinds of male cyclists: impotent ones, and ones that will be impotent eventually.

Google if you want more info, but if you ride for years you literally will make yourself impotent.

ottsville 09-02-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are 2 kinds of male cyclists: impotent ones, and ones that will be impotent eventually.

Google if you want more info, but if you ride for years you literally will make yourself impotent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although cycling may cause decreased sperm count, and MAY be cited as a factor in some cases of impotence, a blanket statement that all cyclist either are or will be is patently untrue.

If you are going to make claims, please back them up with facts, not allusions to what an internet search turns up. I could google unicorns, just because there's images of them, it doesn't make them real...

Alobar 09-03-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

false

Neko 09-03-2007 12:19 AM

Poker Fox,

Your statement is retarded. Since you couldn't be arsed to do your own research, here are some abstracts of recently published and peer-review articles. Cycling may be a contributing factor of impotence in some individuals but to say "There are 2 kinds of male cyclists: impotent ones, and ones that will be impotent eventually." is pretty dumb.

[ QUOTE ]

The Journal of Urology
Volume 172, Issue 3, September 2004, Pages 1028-1031
BICYCLE RIDING AND ITS RELATIONSHIP TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION

JOHN A. TAYLOR III, a, , TZU-CHEG KAOa, PETER C. ALBERTSENa and RIDWAN SHABSIGHa
aFrom the Division of Urology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut (JAT, PCA), Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland (T-CK), and Department of Urology, Columbia University, New York, New York (RS)

Available online 31 October 2005.

ABSTRACT

Purpose:

Researchers have suggested that cycling is a hazard to the sexual health of men. Insufficient data have left cyclists skeptical of this claim. We explore risk factors within cycling that may put riders at risk for the development of erectile dysfunction (ED).

Materials and Methods:

We performed an Internet based survey of cyclists to examine factors associated with cycling that might contribute to ED as defined by the International Index of Erectile Function. A total of 688 cyclists were included in the analysis ranging in age from 18 to 77 years.

Results:

ED prevalence was 17% (115 of 688). Although results from univariate analysis revealed a correlation between ED and several tested variables, none proved to be statistically significant after controlling for age.

Conclusions:

The overall prevalence of ED in the cycling community does not appear to be greater than that of historical controls. Previously suggested alterations in riding habits may not change the prevalence of ED among cyclists.

Adult Urology: Sexual Function/Infertility

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AFTER A LONG-DISTANCE CYCLING EVENT: ASSOCIATIONS WITH BICYCLE CHARACTERISTICS

JOSEPH R. DETTORI, a, , THOMAS D. KOEPSELLa, PETER CUMMINGSa and JOHN M. CORMANa
aFrom the Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington and the Department of Urology, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington
Accepted 20 February 2004. Available online 12 November 2005.

ABSTRACT

Purpose:

We conducted a prospective cohort study to examine the relationship between bicycle characteristics and the occurrence of erectile dysfunction.

Materials and Methods:

Subjects consisted of 463 cyclists completing a cycling event of at least 320 km who were free of erectile dysfunction before their event.

Results:

The cumulative incidence of erectile dysfunction after the ride was 4.2% (95% confidence interval [CI] 2.4%–6.8%) and 1.8% (95% CI 0.7%–3.8%) 1 week and 1 month after the event, respectively. Bicycle characteristics associated with an increased risk of erectile dysfunction included a mountain bicycle compared with a road bicycle (risk ratio [RR] 4.1, 95% CI 1.6–12.5), and the relative height of the handlebars parallel with or higher than the saddle compared with the relative handlebar height lower than the saddle (RR 3.0, 95% CI 1.1–9.3). Perineal numbness during the ride was experienced by 31% of the cyclists and was associated with erectile dysfunction (RR 4.4, 95% CI 1.6–12.7). Saddle cutouts were associated with an increased risk of erectile dysfunction among those who experienced numbness (RR 6.0, 95% CI 1.3–27.1), but the association was reversed among those who did not report numbness (RR 0.3, 95% CI 0.0–2.5).

Conclusions:

If the associations described are causal, then cyclists on a long-distance ride may be able to decrease the risk of erectile dysfunction by riding a road bicycle instead of a mountain bicycle, keeping handlebar height lower than saddle height and using a saddle without a cutout if perineal numbness is experienced.

Key Words: bicycling; impotence; exercise; hypesthesia

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The Vicious Cycling: Bicycling Related Urogenital Disorders

Ilan Leibovitcha, , and Yoram Morb
aDepartment of Urology, Meir Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, 59 Tchernichovski st., Kfar Saba, Israel
bDepartment of Urology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Accepted 26 October 2004. Available online 16 November 2004.

European Urology
Volume 47, Issue 3, March 2005, Pages 277-287
Abstract

Purpose:

Bicycle riding is one of the most popular means of transportation, recreation, fitness and sports among millions of people of all ages who ride on road and off road, using a variety of bicycle types. It is also a readily available form of aerobic non-impact exercise with established cardiovascular beneficial effects. Bicycles are also a common source of significant injuries. This review focuses upon the specific bicycling related overuse injuries affecting the genitourinary tract.

Materials and Methods:

MEDLINE search of the literature on bicycling and genitourinary disorders was performed using multiple subject headings and additional keywords. The search yielded overall 62 pertinent articles. We focused primarily on the most prevalent related disorders such as pudendal nerve entrapment, erectile dysfunction and infertility. The potential effect of bicycling on serum PSA level was also discussed in depth in view of its recognized clinical importance. Infrequent disorders, which were reported sporadically, were still addressed, despite their rarity, for the comprehensiveness of this review.

Results:

The reported incidence of bicycling related urogenital symptoms varies considerably. The most common bicycling associated urogenital problems are nerve entrapment syndromes presenting as genitalia numbness, which is reported in 50–91% of the cyclists, followed by erectile dysfunction reported in 13–24%. Other less common symptoms include priapism, penile thrombosis, infertility, hematuria, torsion of spermatic cord, prostatitis, perineal nodular induration and elevated serum PSA, which are reported only sporadically.

Conclusions:

Urologists should be aware that bicycling is a potential and not an infrequent cause of a variety of urological and andrological disorders caused by overuse injuries affecting the genitourinary system.

Keywords: Bicycling; Hypesthesia; Impotence; Nerve compression syndromes

[/ QUOTE ]

kerowo 09-03-2007 12:21 AM

All you have to do is watch the Tour to know PF is full of crap, most of the guys on the podium have their kids with them and they are going to spend more time in the saddle in one season than most recreational cyclists do in a decade.

Kaj 09-03-2007 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

ottsville 09-03-2007 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All you have to do is watch the Tour to know PF is full of crap, most of the guys on the podium have their kids with them and they are going to spend more time in the saddle in one season than most recreational cyclists do in a decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tour and its riders are horrible examples to use since they could be *protected* by the increased testosterone from "falls" or other sources [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Thought the one statement in the clinical examples quoted was interesting though

[ QUOTE ]
may be able to decrease the risk of erectile dysfunction by riding a road bicycle instead of a mountain bicycle, keeping handlebar height lower than saddle height

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have thought just the opposite was true.