Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   10-25 live, flop trips, face 3 bet push (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485544)

Post-Oak 08-24-2007 04:26 PM

10-25 live, flop trips, face 3 bet push

10-25 live, 10 handed

The game is very good. It's very common for several players to see the flop for a raise.

I am UTG+2 with $7K. Villain has me covered, and is a Scandinavian pro in town for a $10K tournament. I have not seen him get out of line.

UTG (very tight, young pro) opens for $75. This is the type of raise which will usually be called in several spots, especially because there is one wealthy fish at the table who is pretty bad.

Anyway, UTG +1 (villain) calls.

I call with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

A bunch of other people call. 7 people see the flop.

Flop ($525 - 7 players):

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks. Villain bets $500. I make it $2,000. Folded back around to villain, who pushes! It is just over $5K to me.

I am trying to think of what kind of hand he could have here. On the one hand, I wouldn't think 77 would play it this fast. 77 has a flush draw drawing dead and a 3 just about dead. On the other hand, he is out of position and maybe he figures this is the best way to get the money in?

Or maybe we have the same hand?

Otherwise, I guess it is a semi-bluff? The thing is, I have shown massive strength here. He bet into a very large field, and I popped him (with multiple calling stations still to act behind me). Could he really think he has enough fold equity?

I am having a hard time coming up with a hand he would bet like this. We are pretty deep, so I don't think this could be an overpair. 77 or A3 seem most likely. I don't know if he could be in there with 3x having called a PFR UTG+1, even as loose as the rest of the table was. I have not seen him play any trash hands from EP.

Is this an easy call?

xker17x 08-24-2007 04:43 PM

Re: 10-25 live, flop trips, face 3 bet push

easy call if ur beat sick cooler

AAismyfriend 08-24-2007 04:56 PM

Instacall

ZJ123 08-24-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instacall

[/ QUOTE ]

AZK 08-24-2007 05:00 PM

post-oak, i expect more from you

DeMaci 08-24-2007 05:20 PM

This is an absolute instacall, but sounds like you got coolered, sorry bud.

Mench 08-24-2007 05:34 PM

instacall. if you are beat, just say 'standard.'

ActionJeff 08-24-2007 05:39 PM

hate how you played this on flop, obv call now

jfish 08-24-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Instacall

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-Oak 08-24-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

After writing the post, while in the process of proof reading it, I thought of just deleting it. I mean, I couldn't really see many people making the case for a fold.

I am sorry if it was just a waste of time, because I guess it is much too insta-callish to generate much discussion.

Results in white: <font color="white">

The thing is, this hand really had me confused.

I actually thought for about 45-60 seconds before calling. The reason I had to think is because I was trying to put him on a hand he would play like this, and I kept coming back to 77 or A3s.

I considered that there was a small possibility that he was just playing AA really horribly. I also thought it was possible he was semi-bluffing with a hand like 5d 6d, or an ace high flush draw.

I was getting almost 2 to 1, so I had to call given these assumptions, but I really did expect him to show 77 or A3 over half of the time.

He showed Ah Ks and was drawing dead when a brick hit the turn.

This hand reminded me that I have this problem where I am not good at understanding how some other players think. My way of thinking seems to be very left-brained dominant, and I guess that is why I come to some bad conclusions when I consider "what does he think I have, what range does he think I put him on, and why is he playing his hand like this?".

In this case, he said he thought I had an overpair and he was trying to semi-bluff me off of it (he thought he had a lot of fold equity because he was figuring I had something like JJ).

He said he made a bad play, but he would have been fine with it if he had diamonds.

Anyway, this hand really confused me becsause I tried to put him on a range of hands and failed miserably. I know what you guys are gonna say, but this guy was not a fish, although he did play this hand very poorly.

I was assuming, Sklansky style, that this guy would be putting me on a big hand and would need a monster to play a $14K+ pot with me in this particular spot. My line exuded strength, so his line made it seem to me like he had a monster.

UTG said he check folded KK, and I believe him.
</font>

mikech 08-24-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] you want him to smoothcall?

rilleg 08-24-2007 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i am wondering this too, how would you play it jeff?

FoxwoodsFiend 08-24-2007 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i am wondering this too, how would you play it jeff?

[/ QUOTE ]

raise less LDO

king_of_drafts 08-24-2007 11:06 PM

lol scandavians

leatherass 08-25-2007 01:33 AM

I might be crazy here, but I don't just insta call here. I think OP's logic is dead on and I would be really worried. i think in the end I would call too but not sure it is +EV at all. I mean we can sit and call it a cooler all they want but for all those inst callers out there wtf do you put villan on? How often is this exactly 77333? How can it not be pretty dang often? He said villan is good so at worst he has like kqs. If that is the case hero will get outdrawn appr. 1/4 of the time. If he has a ahnds like 45s then hero gets outdrawn 1/3 of the time. Obv. there is a huge overlay in the pot but I am not sold that calling is +EV. I mean it is obv. redonkulously hard to laydown. But I think folding may be best. Although the idiot I am I probably just call and say, "standard" like one of the other posters in this thread said.

FoxwoodsFiend 08-25-2007 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If that is the case hero will get outdrawn appr. 1/4 of the time. If he has a ahnds like 45s then hero gets outdrawn 1/3 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you write this as if it's not super awesome that we can get it in for 7k each as 75% or 66% favorites.

KRANTZ 08-25-2007 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If that is the case hero will get outdrawn appr. 1/4 of the time. If he has a ahnds like 45s then hero gets outdrawn 1/3 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you write this as if it's not super awesome that we can get it in for 7k each as 75% or 66% favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm yeah and it's really gonna suck when we do...

leatherass 08-25-2007 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My only point with that was that even when we were "right" it wasn't like it was "that" great of a thing. When we are "wrong" then we are basically dead. When we are "right" we are still only a 2 to 1 fav. against a combo draw like 45s. So we need to factor in when doing the math that even when ahead we will get outdrawn reasonably often.

OmahaDoc80 08-25-2007 02:41 PM

Very easy for the guy to have JJ, QQ, KK, AA. People love overpairs. If you flop trips and not willing to put the money in the pot, poker is not the game for you.

raptor517 08-25-2007 03:06 PM

this thread is really really funny.

leatherass 08-25-2007 04:41 PM

Crazy. I'm surprised a good player could make such a poor play. You never know live though. People make way more "plays" imo because egos get soooo involved when they can look right at ya. I think pros online who have 8 tables or something going at once would almot never make this play.

Deelah 08-25-2007 05:38 PM

I thought 77 or AKdd right away. How can nobody else come up with AKdd?? Isnt that kind of a standard play even thought its very loose/aggressive (esp. with these big stacks)..

Of course you gotta call.

Triumph36 08-25-2007 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you do? i saw the title and the poster and knew it was going to be some super nit easy call.

post-oak i've always liked your contributions from the beginning but your posts have always tended towards monsters under the bed/weak tight.

birdstone44 08-25-2007 07:46 PM

cmon did u ever actually think u were bea. i know if i was the scandanavian guy id be real pissed that you slowrolled.

JooWish622 08-25-2007 10:31 PM

Call + fist pump

OmahaDoc80 08-26-2007 01:39 AM

Is it just me, but is the villains range a lot wider than everyone is saying. He would open with 88-AA plus AK AQ right?

He could put you on A7 or flush draw and figure his overpair is good.

When I have played $25/50nl at the Bellagio, I could never imagine even taking a second to think about folding trips.

Bill King 08-26-2007 02:45 AM

i think its hilarious that the only person who put any real good input was OP out of all the replies

freeucm 08-26-2007 02:48 AM

Damn i pray for to come against a guy who calls with just trips when i fire a barrel on the flop with my full house.

leatherass 08-26-2007 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, but is the villains range a lot wider than everyone is saying. He would open with 88-AA plus AK AQ right?

He could put you on A7 or flush draw and figure his overpair is good.

When I have played $25/50nl at the Bellagio, I could never imagine even taking a second to think about folding trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to say I totally agree with you here. When I first read this I had a different answer but I think OP jut kinda freaked me out with the description of villan. It is a turbo call against 99% of all opponents imo.