Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   August Monthly [censored] Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485430)

Jay. 08-24-2007 01:43 PM

August Monthly [censored] Thread

OKed this with Kyle, it should be a good idea.

Post the following here:

- Anything you think isn't thread worthy
- Any small questions or something you want help with (read the FAQ first)
- Monthly goals. Lose x amount of lb, gain x amount of inches, visit the gym x amount of times, just something down in writing so you have a clear goal to help you.
- Weekly/Monthly results logs. If you don't want your own log thread i think this could be very good so you can review back your progress.
- Interesting articles.

etc etc.

Jay. 08-24-2007 01:47 PM

Re: August Monthly [censored] Thread

What's the general opinion on Conjugated Linoleic Acid? search pulls only a kyleb mention of taking it.

secretprankster 08-24-2007 01:58 PM

I know I have some in my Flameout pills, but I am not sure of specifics.

Here is a 2001 article: link.

J.Brown 08-24-2007 02:17 PM

i have had decent "success" with it, but when i am taking it i usually am hitting the cardio hard and watching my diet. so who really knows its true effectiveness.

fairly cheap, so......cycle through a bottle and let us know. J.

Jeff W 08-24-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the general opinion on Conjugated Linoleic Acid? search pulls only a kyleb mention of taking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Body Recomposition Forums Search on Linoleic Acid

SamG 08-24-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Body Recomposition Forums Search on Linoleic Acid

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff W 08-24-2007 04:52 PM

Ah, you probably have to open a forum account. I didn't realize that.

It's well worth it to register, there is a multitude of technical abstracts, discussions, etc on linoleic acid and every other health/fitness topic under the sun.

kyleb 08-24-2007 05:12 PM

I'm in a huge baseball slump. This sucks.

SmileyEH 08-24-2007 05:52 PM

My back still hurts and can't really do presses or heavy squats. ALSO I LOST LIKE 5 MUTHAFUCKING POUNDS OVER THE SUMMER HYAHCHAHCHAHCHAHCAHACHAHCHCAHACH.

theblackkeys 08-24-2007 06:30 PM

Everytime I go surfing/swimming (just learning), my shoulders hurt afterwards. Do I have some inflexibility issues? Am I not swimming/paddling right? HALP!

Also, I'm such a pussy paddler. My muscles get tired quickly.

kidcolin 08-24-2007 06:41 PM

I've been having the same problem playing basketball after a long stretch of sedentary living. Check out kyleb's thread about rotator cuff exercises.

It's also probably just a factor of using muscles you aren't used to.

Cancer Merchant 08-24-2007 06:45 PM

Speaking of injury, I've been easing my way back into squats after pulling both sides of my groin a month ago. Anything past a half squat, and I can feel the tendons start to grind and pop. I've been taking more and more time off between sessions to heal, up to a week and a half currently. How long should I expect this to take to get back to 100%?

Thremp 08-24-2007 06:47 PM

Cancer,

Drop weight lift more often.

cbloom 08-24-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long should I expect this to take to get back to 100%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Years? Seriously be happy if you get back to 90%.

Big Poppa Smurf 08-24-2007 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a little extreme, depending on the severity of the injury if you take the time off and rehab properly you can get back to 100%. It might take a few months though, but groin injuries are not the ones to mess around with.

Cancer Merchant 08-24-2007 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a little extreme, depending on the severity of the injury if you take the time off and rehab properly you can get back to 100%. It might take a few months though, but groin injuries are not the ones to mess around with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what I wanted to hear, but I guess I'll have to deal. I'll drop my squat to where I can go all the way down with no pain, and just keep working it until it gets better. It's a fine line though, between strengthening and repulling it. Hell, I just want to run full bore in time for my next softball league...

Bobby Digital 08-24-2007 11:14 PM

I've been doing starting strength, so squatting 3 x per week and doing HIIT running 2 x per week. That was fine at first but I'm now up to 10 30 sec. sprints when I run and my squat has gone up. My legs are very fatigued and its affecting my squats. Should I drop a HIIT day, do shorter HIIT sessions, or do lighter squats once a week? Goal is to get to 180 lbs. by early Nov., I'm ~197 now.

SmileyEH 08-24-2007 11:27 PM

Make the midweek squat session very light.

fatgirl_lover 08-24-2007 11:49 PM

my weights down to 140 pounds and i benched 145 for a few reps, my friend told me thatīs a milestone so thatīs good. iīm going to start with olympic lifting, squatting and deadlifting now i couldnīt before due to leg injury and fear that my bad form will get me injured. thereīs still a chance iīm going to injury myself with bad form but these excercises are too helpful to not do.

kidcolin 08-25-2007 02:25 AM

Bobby,

How long have you been doing HIIT? From what I've read, it's a good idea to take a week or two off every 6-8 weeks of it. I don't see the harm in skipping a few days to give your legs some extra recovery time.

SmileyEH 08-25-2007 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby,

How long have you been doing HIIT? From what I've read, it's a good idea to take a week or two off every 6-8 weeks of it. I don't see the harm in skipping a few days to give your legs some extra recovery time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a week off every 8 weeks is good advice for any trainee. Too bad I'm retarded and just injure myself every 2 months instead of taking a voluntary week off.

cbloom 08-25-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my weights down to 140 pounds and i benched 145 for a few reps, my friend told me thatīs a milestone so thatīs good. iīm going to start with olympic lifting, squatting and deadlifting now i couldnīt before due to leg injury and fear that my bad form will get me injured. thereīs still a chance iīm going to injury myself with bad form but these excercises are too helpful to not do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, benching BW is a great milestone. Now work on getting your squat to 2X BW and you'll be in good form.

fatgirl_lover 08-25-2007 02:04 PM

quick question, say i pulled-strained my hamstring about 15 days agoand it{s a lotbetter but ifi do hard sprinting or stretch it i can feel it. should i be stretching it out a lot, stretching itlightly or just leave itbe until its all better?

Packard 08-25-2007 02:43 PM

I don't CLA works very well. It's been in supplement form 10+ years since EAS started selling it and it never really caught on. If it actually made noticeable difference in reasonable doses, it would have caught on by now.

I would use the $ to buy fish oil, protein powder, creatine and stuff that works [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thremp 08-25-2007 06:01 PM

Beerfest is today. And in celebration I will have a contest. Person who gets the closest to my actual amount of drinks consumed tonight (cup is small and beers are small. I will couple beerfest beers with actual drinks at bars after) will be spared from derisive commentary for the next week.

Facts to help:
1) I've eaten 2 pieces of toast today. Might have some milk before I peace out.
2) I'm an average drinker. Not very "hardcore".
3) I will end up out to possibly 3-4. Who knows.
4) Beerfest is ~3 hours but there are lines.

If I blackout/passout/vomit I will spare everyone from anything negative for the remainder of the week.

Lets gogogogogogogogoogogogo

Soh 08-25-2007 06:33 PM

Weight
5/29 - 125 lbs
Now - 135 lbs

Dumbbell Squat
6/24 - 40 lbs
Now - 125 lbs

Dumbbell Deadlift
6/25 - 65 lbs
Now - 130 lbs

Dumbbell Bench Press
6/23 - 60 lbs
Now - 100 lbs

Dumbbell Press
7/2 - 60 lbs
Now - 75 lbs

Long way to go, but I'm improving.

Soh

Rootabager 08-26-2007 04:24 AM

last year when I went to "brew at the zoo" i prolly drank 30 beers before puking.

i would say you will drink 14

kyleb 08-26-2007 04:56 AM

do i has potential? picture of me after my baseball game today.

http://www.baseballdelusions.com/images/kyleb826.jpg

@ 200 lbs (not including ice sleeve)

headed back to cleveland for a few weeks - going to keep up the running and HIIT and stay away from baseball drills. i need the break.

Thremp 08-26-2007 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
last year when I went to "brew at the zoo" i prolly drank 30 beers before puking.

i would say you will drink 14

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one to guess. Ipso facto he wins. He will be spared from all commentary that is poor in nature. In fact I think I will spare everyone from that.

Choo Choo

Side Note: Kyle, looking very good. I'm impressed. Possibly in March I will post photos. Unless Smiley captures photos of me while I swing up there in Nov. But keep in mind I'm bulking. No lights babay....

hanster 08-26-2007 08:30 AM

All the ravings from bb.com and here made me start doing HIIT last Monday. I started last week with 4 30 seconds and now am very comfortable with 4~5 of them. I am not lifting, though. Thoughts? I am going back to the States in 3 weeks and that's when I think I will start lifting.

colin,
I played bball the other day. Despite running almost every single day for two months, not playing any bball during that time period really made me feel uncomfortable. I felt sluggish, but not the type of sluggish one would feel after 2 months hiatus of exercise. =/

mattnxtc 08-26-2007 02:41 PM

I broke under the 200lb mark for the first time since I began college. I am sure I will go back up another 3-4lbs by the end of the day, but seeing the 199 on the scale was nice.

My goal is to get down to 190 still while maintaining the muscle mass I have. That would put me about 8% body fat or so. At some point (once i get rid of this this golf tan I have) I may post a pic.

Thremp 08-28-2007 10:14 AM

This is kinda funny. As many of you may or may not know, as a professional gambler I keep different hours from the majority of you (you being the mythical "normal" man who grinds out a 9-5 comes home, rubs one out in the bathroom cause his wife has a headache, and is not rish to boot). I usually sleep somewhere in the realm of 3-6AM till around 12-2PM when I am able. Occasionally I will wake up earlier in the day when I have something pressing to do or need to encounter people that keep more "normal" hours such as CPAs, banks, lawyers, hair dressers, etc. Also since I've recently started this "healthy" diet I don't typically consume a very large amount of caffeine. I drink well... a decent amount of it in the form of coffee, but this is almost solely within 6 hours of waking. But as with most people I took a form of relaxation in my diet and purchased some soda. Since its probably 8000x better than the booze it replaces and really isn't that horrible to begin with since I am skillful at blunting the IR. So last night I ate a typical meal of grilled chicken breasts with grilled veggies, but I threw in this soda to liven things up. Finished grinding my pokar hands and wanted to call it a night ~4AM. I proceeded to toss and turn for 1.5 hours... "sleep" for another 3.5 and now I'm here. Reasonably enough, I actually have things to do today and this early wakage isn't going to kill me. Though I may end up feeling like death later today.

Jihad 08-28-2007 11:12 AM

Somebody give me a good guideline for creatine usage. Article link or experience. PM would be nice.

SmileyEH 08-28-2007 11:23 AM

take a tablespoon everyday?

Thremp 08-28-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
take a tablespoon everyday?

[/ QUOTE ]

5g a day or ETO or EOO or when you remember is fine. It isn't life or death or rocket science. If you forget, eat some more fish.

Snafu'd 08-28-2007 04:37 PM

Supplements and protein I'm consuming and my thoughts on them. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated - especially on a decent multivitamin.

Surge Original Flavor - I'll have to say I really like this stuff. It has sort of a vanilla flavor but is almost as sweet as butter cream icing on a cake. I would say that if it were any sweeter I probably couldn't handle it very often. This stuff is very easy to mix - just add water and throw it into a shaker and enjoy.

Surge Raspberry Flavor - Disgusting imo. You would have to really, really like raspberries for you to enjoy this one. I'm going to have a tough time finishing off this container. I'm switching b/w original and raspberry every other time to make it tolerable.

Metabolic Drive (Low Carb Grow) Chocolate - Damn good stuff. Mixes really easily and goes down with an almost water like consistency. I've been adding oats and a scoop of peanut butter to it in the blender for a really quick and easy breakfast drink.

Hot Rox Extreme - I'm a sucker for some of these fat loss and energy pills and for the life of me can't figure out why. They make me feel terrible and I have trouble falling asleep at night when I take them. I know Hot Rox is supposedly a really good product but it's not for me. I feel that I can't workout quite as hard when I'm taking these but that may be in my head.

Spike Shooters - Not really a supplement but it's an energy drink loaded with caffeine and B vitamins. I used to sell Red Bull so I'm always trying out other energy drinks and seeing how they compare. Sugar Free Red Bull is far better than the Spike Shooters in my opinion. Spike Shooters have a warning on them that you should only consume one can a day because they are so choc full of stimulants. Weird because I didn't feel much after drinking one.

Flameout - Fine I guess. I'm not sure how you really judge a fish oil tablet. I have noticed that these don't make me burp up that disgusting fishy taste quite as often as other brands I've used, so that's a plus.

theblackkeys 08-28-2007 06:48 PM

So I got drunk last night, but because I am a huge puss it came back up an hour after getting home. Let's say hypothetically I consumed 1000 calories worth of booze, and puked some of it up later. How much should I count as calories consumed? Ballpark figures of course.

Thremp 08-28-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I got drunk last night, but because I am a huge puss it came back up an hour after getting home. Let's say hypothetically I consumed 1000 calories worth of booze, and puked some of it up later. How much should I count as calories consumed? Ballpark figures of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahaha

A+

Thremp 08-28-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd punt the whole thing in all honesty.

Rootabager 08-28-2007 10:15 PM

puking on 1000 calories of booze is weak.